Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about wasted games.....

Thanks
    Thanked 26,289 Times in 13,722 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Let's talk about wasted games.....

There's still 25% of the regular season plus playoffs left. It's highly unlikely that the Bills will win their last 4, and even if they do, it's highly likely that they will still miss the playoffs on tiebreakers.

4 meaningless games.

Fan is short for "fanatic." As a fan, the fanatical part of me hopes we go 16-0 and win the SB with an unblemished record. More realistically, I just hope that we can stay in it long enough for every game to count. Missing the playoffs 17 straight seasons sucks, but what sucks even more is the number of games that have been completely meaningless. I'm out of market so I spend money to get Sunday Ticket. Many of you who are closer may have season tickets or may have bought tix for one of these games before they became meaningless. I feel gipped, both from a fan perspective and a financial perspective.

In the past, I've missed a game here or there but I still watched the overwhelming majority of the meaningless games. This year, I'm tapping out. I'm not wasting my time. On Sunday, I'll probably be working on Christmas decorations. I'll have the game on in the basement and will check in from time to time, but, meh.

2. Post thanked by:

madness (12-06-2016),pmoon6 (12-10-2016),trapezeus (12-05-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 749 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Let's talk about wasted games.....

Cripes Christmas Decorations.

I'd rather watch an 0-15 Bills team play game 16 against the Browns.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by k-oneputt View Post
    Cripes Christmas Decorations.

I'd rather watch an 0-15 Bills team play game 16 against the Browns.
    my wife likes it and my parents always went all out when we were kids so I appreciate the nostalgia.

5. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (12-10-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 7,272 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I get how you feel. So pissed at these aholes. I won't waste my time going. I'll still watch though.

Thankfully Pittsburgh fans travel so I dumped my tickets for a decent price. I gave away the Browns and dolphins tickets.

7. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (12-05-2016)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
    I get how you feel. So pissed at these aholes. I won't waste my time going. I'll still watch though.

Thankfully Pittsburgh fans travel so I dumped my tickets for a decent price. I gave away the Browns and dolphins tickets.
    I was at the final game of the '04 season when Pitt's backups beat us to keep us out of the playoffs. It was loaded with Pittsburgh fans and the outcome sucked, but at least every game mattered that year. That was the last time that happened.

As I recall, that day was unseasonably warm and sunny. As we were sitting in the car waiting to get out of the parking lot right at twilight, it got cold, clouded over and started pouring rain. I had no idea it would be such an apt metaphor for the next 12 years.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,490 Times in 9,187 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Let's talk about wasted games.....
    No. I refuse.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,528 Times in 17,421 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'll watch the Pittsburgh game just because I still dislike them from the 70's and we can put a dent in their playoff picture.
    I'll watch the Cleveland game because my in-laws are big Browns fans, they are coming up here for Christmas this year, and I should be able to wave a victory in their face.
    I'll watch Miami because of genuine hatred for the Dolphins. That **** will never die.
    I'll watch the Jets game because, well, they are the Jests and I always have a friendly wager with one of my suppliers.

Over the last 17 seasons, I've grown accustomed to having reasons to watch the games with the playoffs being just a pipe dream and a thing only fans for other teams get to look forward to.

That being said, and you want to have a discussion about truly wasted games, we've always got a few of those to discuss every season...this year it was a wasted defensive effort due to offensive ineptness against Baltimore...blowing the Miami game...a wasted offensive effort in Seattle...throwing away a second half, 15 pt lead against Oakland.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

11. Post thanked by:

feldspar (12-05-2016),Historian (12-06-2016)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,490 Times in 9,187 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Meh.

Ok ok.

I'll watch all the games because I love football and I love the Bills, even when they aggravate me. That isn't being rah-rah, I will hope every game to be surprised, and I will watch for individual plays, look for moments that make me happy, and watch for the things that will make me gripe in the offseason with some knowledge behind it, while also watching for things I'll defend with some knowledge behind it.

Really aggravates me when people go on about things they didn't even pay attention to, who make pretend they did, or admit their conclusions are uninformed but don't care because it's just that easy to reach them. I mean if I'm going to ***** about something or defend it, I kind of want to base my opinion on my own perceptions. And I guess I still enjoy having my own perceptions, even when the team aggravates crap out of me.

Yeah, I'll watch every one of them. Maybe I love the team enough to even enjoy it aggravating me because I'm just that interested in the topic and will have a chance to say something about it while hearing from people who do also, sharing a community angst, or sense of happy when you can find it, maybe seeing different perspectives or confirming my own.

I always feel an absence when the season ends even if it was a crap one. Time passes. May as well get what you want out of it. And I guess, honestly, I never don't want to watch a Bills game even when I think they'll get beaten up...because maybe they won't.

13. Post thanked by:

Bill Cody (12-14-2016),feldspar (12-05-2016),YardRat (12-06-2016)

Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!! Luisito23's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 969 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Wink Re: Let's talk about wasted games.....

I'll watch, but just for laughs...

As for spending money on these worthless idiots...lol...yeah, that will happen.
    "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
    ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
    ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
    ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,243 Times in 15,407 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I gave my Steelers tix to my nephew from Erie. Seeing his Steelers live is a big treat for him, and I hope he has fun.

Ill be at the Browns game, simply because we should win it. Lots of Ohioans should be in our lot too. Good people.

I always look forward to the fish game, unfortunately this year its on Christmas Eve. My plan is to go, unless the weather is absolutely miserable.

I've come to the conclusion that this team is basically a rich guy's tax write-off, and whatever happens on the field....happens. Don't really care.

Just want to spend time with friends.

I know everyone's pissed about 17 years, (and I am too) but the way I look at it, at least they are more competitive than under Gailey, Jauron, Williams, Bullough, Stevenson, Ringo, Johnson, Rauch, and Ramsey.

I try to keep things in perspective. This hasn't been a very successful franchise through the years, and I think the last thing you do is blow it up when you are on the cusp.

That's why I'm really torn about renewing for next year.

16. Post thanked by:

Bill Cody (12-14-2016),YardRat (12-06-2016)

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,243 Times in 15,407 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

From Dr Lecter:

18. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (12-06-2016)

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,895 Times in 4,355 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We will win 3 out of 4 of meaningless meaningful games. That way we pick near 20th in the draft. With the 20th pick the Bills will think they are out of franchise QB competition and draft either a CB, WR, or RB. Taking a flier on a 4th round QB.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TacklingDummy View Post
    We will win 3 out of 4 of meaningless meaningful games. That way we pick near 20th in the draft. With the 20th pick the Bills will think they are out of franchise QB competition and draft either a CB, WR, or RB. Taking a flier on a 4th round QB.
    The reason like Dak Prescott and Russell Wilson are so good is that their teams got guys like Zeke Elliott and Bobby Wagner in earlier rounds of their respective drafts. I have no issues taking a QB later than sooner. As to me you have the right team in place for a QB to excel. Look no further than Andrew Luck and the Colts. Even Mariotta and the Titans or Winston and Tampa. They're all great talents but their respective teams aren't all that great around them and why most of them not winning yet.

21. Post thanked by:

Historian (12-06-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,914 Times in 5,306 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We stopped into a local sports bar this past sunday. The Bills game was on one of the TVs. We were up.

i actually had a well spring of hope bubble up... maybe this team is going to finally win a meaningful game and put themselves back in the map.

well... we left and As I haven't watched a single game this year, decided better about watching the rest elsewhere. somewhere I just knew... that lead only existed to make it more cruel.

log on here later... #truth

im done.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

with this draft class, and my expectation that the bills are fine with continuity, why miss on a better player early. take the qb in the 4th. this team is focused on making this drought go 20 years. if you expectation is anything less, you are going to be frustrated. to hear anyone say "continuity is needed" for a group of guys we've heard say this repeatedly since 2004 is maddening.

we need a rebuild top to bottom. I am willing to given 3 more years if they don't have Brandon. but if this remains the Brandon show where qb's, and coaches and GM's are the only issue and we can't land anyone while other teams take the top choices, I really am not interested to watch every game with a level of hope that they are going to win.

this cycnical nature of watching games is so tiring because it just tends to be right. and it's been right for 17 god awful years. for us to be up 24-9 and me to say, "thye are going to lose this game" is insane. my fatherinlaw was like, "how can you say they'll lose. that's a good margin." and I said, because this is what they do. and at the end he was like, I can't believe you were right and I can't believe it happened so fast.

24. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (12-09-2016),TacklingDummy (12-10-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    There's still 25% of the regular season plus playoffs left. It's highly unlikely that the Bills will win their last 4, and even if they do, it's highly likely that they will still miss the playoffs on tiebreakers.

4 meaningless games.

Fan is short for "fanatic." As a fan, the fanatical part of me hopes we go 16-0 and win the SB with an unblemished record. More realistically, I just hope that we can stay in it long enough for every game to count. Missing the playoffs 17 straight seasons sucks, but what sucks even more is the number of games that have been completely meaningless. I'm out of market so I spend money to get Sunday Ticket. Many of you who are closer may have season tickets or may have bought tix for one of these games before they became meaningless. I feel gipped, both from a fan perspective and a financial perspective.

In the past, I've missed a game here or there but I still watched the overwhelming majority of the meaningless games. This year, I'm tapping out. I'm not wasting my time. On Sunday, I'll probably be working on Christmas decorations. I'll have the game on in the basement and will check in from time to time, but, meh.
    Pussy

Thanks
    Thanked 5,844 Times in 3,497 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

4 meaningless games.

Well I've already got the game set to record on my DVR in the event I oversleep due to working nights. I'm not missing the game or any game for any reason in my control. Win or lose, they're my team.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,218 Times in 3,687 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

4 meaningless games.

So you want to play house at the last minute to take it down a week or so later ?? Why haven't you played house until then ?? Procrastination??

My tree has been up and burning for weeks now, rope lighting up with freaking lasers lighting the yard of my estate.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
    So you want to play house at the last minute to take it down a week or so later ?? Why haven't you played house until then ?? Procrastination??

My tree has been up and burning for weeks now, rope lighting up with freaking lasers lighting the yard of my estate.
    January 6 is a big deal in my wife's culture so everything stays up until a few days after that. We like to do a live tree and if we put it up too early it won't last.