Is it contractually feasible to hit the reset button on Tyrod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oaf
    Do you read what you write?
    • Jun 2007

Is it contractually feasible to hit the reset button on Tyrod?

2016 was a prove it year. He didn't quite prove he's worth $20-25M/yr, but he also is still a Year 2 QB with comparable Y1/Y2 production to many greats.

Obviously if we don't pick up the option, Tyrod is free to go where he's in demand. But I wonder if we value him most. We could offer a very similar deal for Y3. Decent compensation, huge upside if he gets over the hump, or walk away after the year. Then bring in another arm to compete via draft or Hoyer/etc.

Totally unpractical?

• Mace
    Haha...yeah you think so ?
    • Mar 2013

Re: Is it contractually feasible to hit the reset button on Tyrod?

Originally posted by Oaf View Post
    2016 was a prove it year. He didn't quite prove he's worth $20-25M/yr, but he also is still a Year 2 QB with comparable Y1/Y2 production to many greats.

Obviously if we don't pick up the option, Tyrod is free to go where he's in demand. But I wonder if we value him most. We could offer a very similar deal for Y3. Decent compensation, huge upside if he gets over the hump, or walk away after the year. Then bring in another arm to compete via draft or Hoyer/etc.

Totally unpractical?
    No. I've seen it mentioned in the media. It might be the only way to go to avoid complete wreckage depending on what happens with coaching staff.

Is anyone going to pay him quality starter money ? Dunno. If they do it's their issue. He's an adequate placeholder if people lose their make pretend idea this team is a contender. He's an even better backup QB option. He's a lot more tolerable imho on prove it deals if we keep the same offense and we don't have better. Then, well, whatever, sure.

If for some reason we go to a pocket QB passing oriented offense though, forget it.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
      Unreachable Douche
      • Jul 2002

Give him an incentive based Touchdown passing contract.

Force him to throw the ball.

Comment

• Mace
        Haha...yeah you think so ?
        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by TacklingDummy View Post
        Give him an incentive based Touchdown passing contract.

Force him to throw the ball.
        Haha ! Good one.

Comment

• Ingtar33
          Dances With Buffaloes
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Oaf View Post

Totally unpractical?
          I am 100% certain that if we cut Tyrod lose someone will give him 20 mil/year min.

Because that's what a mid level QB in the NFL makes. In fact when his extension activates, he'll become the 13th highest paid NFL QB in the league, and just a little bit over 2mil/year more then no.23.

And you'll have to pay Jay Cutler or Tony Romo (min) AT LEAST 20-25mil/year to bring them in here.
          My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Mr. Pink
            Peterman Sucks!
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post
            I am 100% certain that if we cut Tyrod lose someone will give him 20 mil/year min.

Because that's what a mid level QB in the NFL makes. In fact when his extension activates, he'll become the 13th highest paid NFL QB in the league, and just a little bit over 2mil/year more then no.23.

And you'll have to pay Jay Cutler or Tony Romo (min) AT LEAST 20-25mil/year to bring them in here.
            And they'll actually throw the ball! *gasp*

Comment

• Ingtar33
              Dances With Buffaloes
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
              And they'll actually throw the ball! *gasp*
              I'm just saying that Tyrod won't be overpaid (much) if the bills pick up the option on his contract.

Romo only "throws" the ball on the sidelines. It's basically been 3 years since he's been healthy. And Cutler hasn't played 16 games in an NFL season in 7 years; his first season in Chicago. Furthermore, Cutler is the very image of mediocre; he's basically a modern day Jeff George, great arm, brain dead, team killing personality. While I don't have a serious issues with Romo as a QB, I do have an issue with his health. He's suffered a number of basically career ending injuries in the past couple of seasons. that broken collar bone has happened 2 times now. I don't believe he'll ever finish another NFL season, and think he's basically one more injury away from retirement.

So where are we getting a QB to replace tyrod? If you want cutler, you're gambling jay doesn't kill the locker room in 1 season, and you shouldn't have any plans of having him longer then 3 seasons. If you are gambling romo, well, I don't know what to tell you. The man needs to retire, his body can't do it any more. I'd almost feel like I was taking part in crippling the man for life if I advocated the bills sign him.

So what are we supposed to do at QB? I don't think there is any QB in college worth a 3rd round pick this year, let alone a 1st. That includes Chad Kelly.
              My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Luisito23
                Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                • Apr 2003

I don't want, nor need to see anything else from Taylor to hit any kind of "reset" button...

I'd much rather start the season with an unproven, but not scared rookie, than to see that pussy throw check downs and sideline ducks.
                "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

It's certainly doable, but do we really want to? I say no.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

At the rate he's going, I'll let them have him and use the $$$ to bring in offensive linemen to protect the rookie we're drafting and the vet we're bringing in.
                    sacrifice1
                    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                      • Jul 2002

Ingtar

What are your thoughts on Garrapolo?

Would it feasible to trade for him?

Comment

• The Jokeman
                        • Dec 2003

The problem with Tyrod's extension is more about the amount the length and terms. If your bring in Romo or Cutler it's likely going to only be a one or two year deal.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR View Post
                          Ingtar

What are your thoughts on Garrapolo?

Would it feasible to trade for him?
                          Just say no, let the Browns make that mistake. If the Patriots truly felt he was going to be a long term answer they'd keep him. As I can't see Brady playing more than two or more seasons.

Comment

• Victor7
                            • Jul 2013

Doubt Taylor would restructure or sign back with us if we were to release him and try to get him again cheaper.

And

Even if that were doable I really don't see the point. The book on him is out and it ain't pretty. He didn't improve from year 1 to year 2. In fact he undoubtedly got worse. No reason to believe he'll suddenly start getting better.

Time to move on.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • May 2009

Hopefully

Comment

Working...
                              X