X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Time to bring Kiko back?

How time has changed? Kiko Alonso would be perfect in McDermott's defense. He's a RFA though.
  • Albany,n.y.
    • Jul 2002

Re: Time to bring Kiko back?

How can he be a restricted free agent? He's been in the league 4 years which should make him unrestricted. Am I missing something about the reserve/non-football injury year?

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

I don't think he's a perfect fit for the D. Size wise he lines up but McDermott's D asks for the front four to penetrate quickly which means the LB's need to be able to work through blocks and fill the holes. Kiko is a down hill LB who struggles to work through blocks.
      COMING SOON...
      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• kingJofNYC
        • Sep 2009

More like time to draft Reuben Foster.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
          I don't think he's a perfect fit for the D. Size wise he lines up but McDermott's D asks for the front four to penetrate quickly which means the LB's need to be able to work through blocks and fill the holes. Kiko is a down hill LB who struggles to work through blocks.
          He played MLB under Pettine which highlighted his instincts and speed, but also showed his lack of size in hold up against running plays.

If he still has the speed he had after those injuries, I think he can be very good at WLB, going to where the ball is. If the Bills re-sign Zach Brown, he will be that guy. But I still like Kiko's instincts being better than any Bills linebackers we have in the last 6 years.

Comment

• Swiper
            • Sep 2010

He doesn't fit McDermott's type of defense. If he was on the team he would play outside.

Comment

• Night Train
              Retired - On Several Levels
              • Jul 2005

He's a Safety playing LB
              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Goobylal
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
                How can he be a restricted free agent? He's been in the league 4 years which should make him unrestricted. Am I missing something about the reserve/non-football injury year?
                He's only played 3 seasons. But it will be interesting to see where they tender him.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                  Peterman Sucks!
                  • Mar 2006

If you were to bring him back, what do you do with Reggie Ragland?

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
                    If you were to bring him back, what do you do with Reggie Ragland?
                    Ragland would not be drafted last year if McDermott were here last year.

Right now, Ragland will be pegged to be the MLB, but off the field on passing downs, sort of like a younger Brandon Spikes. Of course we have not seen anything from the guy in NFL. Maybe he surprises all of us with his speed and coverage ability.

Comment

• Mike13
                      • Aug 2005

You want to give a divisional rival an extra second round pick?

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post

Right now, Ragland will be pegged to be the MLB, but off the field on passing downs, sort of like a younger Brandon Spikes. Of course we have not seen anything from the guy in NFL. Maybe he surprises all of us with his speed and coverage ability.
                        Ragland and P. Brown will player either MLB or WLB in this defense. Neither is a great fit though, nor is Spikes.
                        COMING SOON...
                        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                          Peterman Sucks!
                          • Mar 2006

I agree. If McDermott was here last year, Ragland isn't a Bill.

He simply doesn't fit.

But, signing a Kiko Alonso then makes your intentions fully known that Reggie Ragland was a wasted pick and that he's not in your future plans.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                            • Aug 2004

Speed is what's missing in Bills LB corp. In a 4-3 scheme, it will be more so.

I personally like LBs with instincts, not just pure speed. My favorite, Ray Lewis has it. Kuechly has it. And I think Kiko has it, too. All of them listed around 240lb, ideal size. But I suspect Kiko's playing weight might be in the 225lb range; he is not that hard to be knocked off balance.

They say Ragland has the nose for the ball, just not the ability to get to where the ball is thrown to.

Comment

• Night Train
                              Retired - On Several Levels
                              • Jul 2005

Speed is what's missing in Bills LB corp. In a 4-3 scheme, it will be more so.

I personally like LBs with instincts, not just pure speed. My favorite, Ray Lewis has it. Kuechly has it. And I think Kiko has it, too. All of them listed around 240lb, ideal size. But I suspect Kiko's playing weight might be in the 225lb range; he is not that hard to be knocked off balance.

They say Ragland has the nose for the ball, just not the ability to get to where the ball is thrown to.
                              Draft Foster from Alabama and reunite with Ragland.

Kiko had a good first half to 2014, then vanished the 2nd half. Then to Philly and Miami since, McCoy is a far better player and we won that trade by a mile. Salary means nothing.

If you have his jersey, congrats but he's too small. Move on.
                              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

Working...
                              X