Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whaley "Not a Quick Fix"

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Whaley "Not a Quick Fix"

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus View Post
    50% of afc teams make the playoffs each year. We have not qualified once and now apparently are not close.
    What kindnof stupidity is this??
    Whaleylytics

2. Post thanked by:

Mace (01-20-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,289 Times in 13,722 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

50% of afc teams make the playoffs each year. We have not qualified once and now apparently are not close.

Uhhh 6 of 16 isn't half. I think you meant something other than "each year."

But you are correct on the stupidity.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,844 Times in 3,497 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Gees Op, now you're even taking Whaley's words out of context...wonder where we've seen that recently. 樂

OBD is stupid to bust up our offense. They moved the ball and put up points at a playoff caliber. Our defense completely **** the bed which severely hindered any notion of making the playoffs for the first time in 17 years. No one allows three 200+ yard rushers and makes the playoffs. Not even Brady.
    Last edited by jamze132; 01-20-2017 at 12:01 AM.

SpikedLemonade

Whaley needs to be replaced.

Hire an experienced NFL executive and let him fire Whaley and hire his own GM.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Personally I don't think the roster is that far off as it sits right now.
    Really? It has no safety, RT, QB and a sad collection of WRs. The defense as a whole can't tackle. And Dareus plays hard when he feels like it.

The only sure thing on this roster is McCoy.

7. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 7,272 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm confused now! I though Whaley built a playoff roster and Wrecks ****ed it up?

9. Post thanked by:

Arm of Harm (01-20-2017),Night Train (01-20-2017),WagonCircler (01-20-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

There are 16 teams in the AFC. Of those 6 make the playoffs. That's a 37.5% chance each year. The chance of missing the playoffs for 17 consecutive years is 0.375^17, or 0.0000000573. That's a 0.00000573% chance, at least assuming all teams were run with equal levels of competence. Even with 6/16 AFC teams making the playoffs your point still stands.

Whaley is now asking the fans for patience, and to prepare for the long haul. Warning us that this will be "no quick fix." The Bills are a rebuilding team, and his comments are starting to reflect that. He is also right to say that the team needs long-term solutions. However, what he fails to mention is that those long-term solutions will not and cannot begin until after he's fired. This is like a construction project where the owner has hired the wrong contractor. Right now we're waiting on that wrong contractor to get fired, and hoping that his eventual replacement will be the right man for the job. It's a long process, and will almost certainly take us past year 20 of the drought.

11. Post thanked by:

Mace (01-20-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,891 Times in 4,015 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post

Like I said before, this team has two choices: go for it with Tyrod or go full-on rebuild because we aren't going to find a better "win now" QB this off-season.
    If there is one single reason this team hasn't made the playoffs in 17 years, its been this continuous "let's rebuild" mentality.

And a large part of that problem has been....for some ungodly reason, that the "rebuild" seems to start with the defensive backfield...with RB being 2nd. Why? I've stopped asking. But hell...many of those clamoring for a rebuild are wanting to draft a safety with the first pick this year.

As far as "rebuilding" the offense...fine...do it.

But as a reminder...the offense people want to rebuild scored as many, or more points than 6 of the playoff teams this year. (they tied with Pittsburgh).

On the other hand, only one playoff team (Miami), allowed more points.

Why did this team miss the playoffs yet again? Because the coach they brought in 2 years ago thought it was important to "rebuild" the 4th ranked defense.

And it sucked.

As far as "tanking for a QB"....

someone started a thread about the 4 remaining playoff teams, and the QB's they have.

Well...none of those teams tanked for a QB.

one had some luck in getting theirs (NE)
    one was willing to mortgage their future (Atl)
    one was smart enough to recognize talent, even though they didn't have a need (GB)
    and one had an owner who interjected and said, "I've always regretted passing on a prospect 21 years prior, I don't want to do that again" (Pit).

You can't keep tearing down a building and start from scratch because you think another model is shinier and better. You just waste a lot of material and labor, and never get around to the reason for the rebuild.

13. Post thanked by:

Historian (01-24-2017),k-oneputt (01-20-2017),swiper (01-20-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,528 Times in 17,421 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Sal Whatever from the Rochester D&C has an interesting article regarding this, and claims the comment was indeed taken out of context. He believes the comment referred to the state of the culture of the organization, not the roster and possibility of making the playoffs..
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...aley/96825326/

“I would say it’s going to start with the core values,” he said. “Instilling the core values in our players and in this building. And starting from the inside and working out. It’s not going to be a quick fix. He knows that, we know that. Anything that’s going to be sustainable for a long time, it’s hard to do.”

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,490 Times in 9,187 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Personally I don't think the roster is that far off as it sits right now.
    I just don't see that whatever. They have 24 temps (fa) heading into the offseason, injured or sub par talent in the pipeline (yes, always maybe's), need starting RT, need safeties, cb's, lb, dl depth, wr's, ol depth, qb, shady and kyle have wear and tear piling up on them, and they have comparatively little cap room on a roster paid at contender level which plays at 8-8 range.

Not that far off ? You yourself have said we're farther away than we were in terms of pieces than we were in 2014 when Schwartz was here. 2 more years of wear on the remaining vets from that team who aren't getting younger, but we're close ?

I sure don't see it.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I just don't see that whatever. They have 24 temps (fa) heading into the offseason, injured or sub par talent in the pipeline (yes, always maybe's), need starting RT, need safeties, cb's, lb, dl depth, wr's, ol depth, qb, shady and kyle have wear and tear piling up on them, and they have comparatively little cap room on a roster paid at contender level which plays at 8-8 range.

Not that far off ? You yourself have said we're farther away than we were in terms of pieces than we were in 2014 when Schwartz was here. 2 more years of wear on the remaining vets from that team who aren't getting younger, but we're close ?

I sure don't see it.
    Our roster is in worse shape than it was at this time 2 seasons ago, no argument there. I blame Wrecks, obviously.

That being said, two years ago we were one offensive lineman, an adequate QB and a real offensive coordinator away from making the playoffs IMO. ATM, we are a little farther away then that. We need safeties, bad. Need depth at corner...maybe a starter depending on Gilmore. Need depth at WR...maybe a starter depending on Woods. QB is a question. I don't think the lines are as bad off as others do.

Stick with Taylor, draft a QB, bring in a free agent and Jones. We can do with that for another year, and keep looking.
    Shady, Gillie, and JWilliams...even if we need another RB's aren't hard to find.
    Re-sign Woods, grab a 2nd-3rd tier WR FA. Draft a TE or sign a 2nd-3rd tier FA.
    Draft a versatile olinemen...maybe pick up a 2nd-3rd tier FA.
    Same for the dline, as the oline.
    I'm not worried about LBer. Ragland comes back, and if their are any positives about Whaley that we should be able to agree on one is he knows how to mine the pro ranks for LBers.
    Draft a safety...sign a FA.
    Bring in a FA kicker, vet or rookie, to compete with Carpenter.
    Fill in the blanks leftover with UDFA's or 3rd tier vets.
    Biggest concern after safety is dearth of talent at corner, and even if we do let Gilmore walk a system that employs more zone will be easier to fill than if we were sticking with man press.

We've got seven picks and at least $30 mil in cap room, most likely more. IMO it won't take a miracle to fill the roster and compete for a playoff spot, just some guys that can play as a team, buy into the concept, and a little bit of effective coaching.

We're not going to get All Pros at every position, nobody has that, and it isn't necessary to win.

Hell, just look at all of the 'nobodies' on all four rosters that are going to be playing this weekend.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

How can you blame Ryan for the roster changes?!?
    Last edited by swiper; 01-20-2017 at 07:14 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    How can you blame Ryan?!?
    Because we ended up jettisoning quite a few players that were starters/contributors in 2014 (Cockrell, Bradham, McKelvin, Rambo, Hogan, Chandler, Charles, FRED JACKSON, Marcus Thigpen) to make room for Jet-Stank like Salas, IK Enkempali, Harvin, Tate, Bush, Moore, etc.

Wiped out the old regime's depth guys and replaced them with cronies and shiny objects.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,490 Times in 9,187 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Our roster is in worse shape than it was at this time 2 seasons ago, no argument there. I blame Wrecks, obviously.

That being said, two years ago we were one offensive lineman, an adequate QB and a real offensive coordinator away from making the playoffs IMO. ATM, we are a little farther away then that. We need safeties, bad. Need depth at corner...maybe a starter depending on Gilmore. Need depth at WR...maybe a starter depending on Woods. QB is a question. I don't think the lines are as bad off as others do.

Stick with Taylor, draft a QB, bring in a free agent and Jones. We can do with that for another year, and keep looking.
    Shady, Gillie, and JWilliams...even if we need another RB's aren't hard to find.
    Re-sign Woods, grab a 2nd-3rd tier WR FA. Draft a TE or sign a 2nd-3rd tier FA.
    Draft a versatile olinemen...maybe pick up a 2nd-3rd tier FA.
    Same for the dline, as the oline.
    I'm not worried about LBer. Ragland comes back, and if their are any positives about Whaley that we should be able to agree on one is he knows how to mine the pro ranks for LBers.
    Draft a safety...sign a FA.
    Bring in a FA kicker, vet or rookie, to compete with Carpenter.
    Fill in the blanks leftover with UDFA's or 3rd tier vets.
    Biggest concern after safety is dearth of talent at corner, and even if we do let Gilmore walk a system that employs more zone will be easier to fill than if we were sticking with man press.

We've got seven picks and at least $30 mil in cap room, most likely more. IMO it won't take a miracle to fill the roster and compete for a playoff spot, just some guys that can play as a team, buy into the concept, and a little bit of effective coaching.

We're not going to get All Pros at every position, nobody has that, and it isn't necessary to win.

Hell, just look at all of the 'nobodies' on all four rosters that are going to be playing this weekend.
    That list is just "not far off".

Here's an article on their "bountiful" cap space :

In conclusion, with a rising cap and salaries not keeping up, cap dollars aren’t worth what they used to be. The Bills aren’t going to be able to lure free agents with the biggest offer as they have in the past. It would be wise to make themselves as attractive a landing spot as possible for free agents, if they hope to be able to fill the spots of departing players with suitable replacements.
    http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017...situation-2017

Have to point out, you're counting on Whaley to fill it. Also have to point out, he's good at finding vet minimum guys. But lots of them did nothing whatever. For every step Whaley temporarily takes forward, he takes 2 backwards.

So, that's "all" he has to do this year after 3 of stasis, and you're saying you think he can do it just like that, hmmmm ?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

For some reason I thought 8 teams. Wasn't thinking obviously. Thanks for correction.

Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,891 Times in 4,183 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Let me guess: he's gonna get Bob Kraft drunk on absynthe and convince him to swap rosters and coaching staffs straight up.
    Close, we are a snake bitten franchise, and history loves repeating itself. I could see Belichick trading his second string QB to us for our top two this year and first next. We get a qb who cannot stay healthy and we remain the division side show for the forseeable future while he stockpiles talent to continue tormenting the league until Brady is older than Blanda was when he retired.

- - - Updated - - -

Let me guess: he's gonna get Bob Kraft drunk on absynthe and convince him to swap rosters and coaching staffs straight up.
    Close, we are a snake bitten franchise, and history loves repeating itself. I could see Belichick trading his second string QB to us for our top two this year and first next. We get a qb who cannot stay healthy and we remain the division side show for the forseeable future while he stockpiles talent to continue tormenting the league until Brady is older than Blanda was when he retired.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Because we ended up jettisoning quite a few players that were starters/contributors in 2014 (Cockrell, Bradham, McKelvin, Rambo, Hogan, Chandler, Charles, FRED JACKSON, Marcus Thigpen) to make room for Jet-Stank like Salas, IK Enkempali, Harvin, Tate, Bush, Moore, etc.

Wiped out the old regime's depth guys and replaced them with cronies and shiny objects.

None of those players were any good and needed to go. And those decisions weren't Ryan's they were Whaley's doing - each one. Bringing in the Jet stank I agree was Whaley being told by Pegula to appease Ryan.

Brandon Tate isn't Jet stank however and was a great pick-up.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    That list is just "not far off".

Here's an article on their "bountiful" cap space :

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017...situation-2017

Have to point out, you're counting on Whaley to fill it. Also have to point out, he's good at finding vet minimum guys. But lots of them did nothing whatever. For every step Whaley temporarily takes forward, he takes 2 backwards.

So, that's "all" he has to do this year after 3 of stasis, and you're saying you think he can do it just like that, hmmmm ?
    I know their cap space isn't bountiful, that's why I targeted 2nd-3rd tier free agents. Which Whaley and the pro dept have been pretty consistent in getting. Brown, Alexander, Groy, Hunter, Gillislee, etc from this past season.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    None of those players were any good and needed to go. And those decisions weren't Ryan's they were Whaley's doing - each one. Bringing in the Jet stank I agree was Whaley being told by Pegula to appease Ryan.

Brandon Tate isn't Jet stank however and was a great pick-up.
    IMO Thigpen was a better returner.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 925 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

There's no way we're in rebuilding mode. We have a solid roster that just needs good coaching and an upgrade here and there. If Whaley thinks that he's out of his mind and needs to be replaced.