X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DesertFox24
    • Jul 2005

Would you support a trade to Number 1 for a QB

I saw a rumor Whaley has been talking to teams at top of draft to attempt to trade up. They believe for QB Mitch, although this happened in 2014 and everyone thought for Clowney but it was really for sammy.

Brings me to the question if he did trade up to get a guy would you be ok with it. It will cost a lot of draft capital for sure and probably multiple first rounders seconds and thirds.

That said I would be ok with it, we need that first pick overall QB and if thinks a guy is worthy of that designation then he needs to do whatever is necessary to get him. I personally think all three QBs talked about in the first round are not worthy of it, but I would applaud the bills for swinging for the fences and recognizing the odds of them getting a Dak, Wilson, Brady, Carr later in the draft is more than likely not going to happen.

Again I want to clarify of the three Mitch is the only one I would even consider but he has so many issues due to play time that I would not feel comfortable pulling the trigger. Watson I want no part of and Kizer I see EJ and his slow eyes again.
  • ParanoidAndroid
    My battery is low and it's getting dark.
    • Apr 2004

Re: Would you support a trade to Number 1 for a QB

No. He is far from a good bet involving multiple high draft picks. If he was a consensus #1 pick, then yes.

Comment

• sukie
      Seriously?
      • Sep 2012

I'll support anything. Wanting a consensus pick is silly. When was the last couple of those? Most times a consensus is wrong.

Comment

• jimmifli
        • Nov 2006

Yes. As long as it doesn't stop us from continuing to try to find a QB.

Meaning free agency and future drafts. He might be the guy, and we can give him 3 years, but we need plan B and C on the roster.

Comment

• Thurmal
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by sukie View Post
          I'll support anything. Wanting a consensus pick is silly. When was the last couple of those? Most times a consensus is wrong.
          The last couple off the top of my head (Luck, Newton, Ryan) worked out pretty well.
          "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
            • Jun 2024

NO

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Thurmal View Post
              The last couple off the top of my head (Luck, Newton, Ryan) worked out pretty well.
              Newton wasn't remotely a consensus pick, Matt Ryan didn't go #1, and Luck (while great) might not even be the best QB from that draft.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Thurmal
                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                Newton wasn't remotely a consensus pick, Matt Ryan didn't go #1, and Luck (while great) might not even be the best QB from that draft.
                They were all the clear, consensus #1 QBs in their respective drafts.
                "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                  My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                  • Apr 2004

Wanting a consensus pick if you're going to trade up 7 to 9 spots is silly? If I'm going to spend multiple high picks on one player there ought to be a solid agreement in the scouting community that the guy is worth it.
                  Last edited by ParanoidAndroid; 02-03-2017, 02:51 PM.

Comment

• paladin warrior
                    All-Pro Zoner
                    • Oct 2004

Comment

• sukie
                      Seriously?
                      • Sep 2012

I'd rather have the surprise guy like Dax or a Brady or a Brees (I think he wasn't 1st round) consensus is expensive and Luck isn't worth it so far. Not that I don't like Luck. I feel a QB could be found outside consensus and 1 is playing this weekend.

Comment

• DesertFox24
                        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by sukie View Post
                        I'd rather have the surprise guy like Dax or a Brady or a Brees (I think he wasn't 1st round) consensus is expensive and Luck isn't worth it so far. Not that I don't like Luck. I feel a QB could be found outside consensus and 1 is playing this weekend.
                        Brees was first pick in the second round.

I am sorry I was not very clear in what I was trying to get at.

History has shown taking a QB first overall is generally more successful than taking one mid first round or later in the draft. I was not saying consensus first overall we have not had that since Elway, Peyton, and Luck in my honest opinion and none of these guys are like that.

He could take anyone for the sake of this argument. The question is if he does it knowing the likely three options would you be ok with the gamble?

That said I agree with the earlier poster about having option B and C as well. We do have Cardale for the next three years so he would be one of those options but I agree we need another as well.

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                          • Jul 2002

I don't want to see next year's pick traded.

Comment

• Buffalogic
                            Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
                            • Feb 2006

Not this year.

Comment

• sudzy
                              • Apr 2013

What makes any of you trust Whaley to not trade the farm to move up to one for another EJ? He hasn't shown any ability to find any decent QBs yet. I'm certainly don't want to mortgage the future of this team to allow Whaley to try and find another QB in what might be another really bad QB draft.

Comment

Working...
                              X