Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: tyrod release day

Thanks
    Thanked 17,689 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: tyrod release day

I think there are significant questions as to whether or not he can lead the Bills to playoffs, especially in the AFC East, where winning the division is out of the question and there are most likely 2 losses assured.

Take a look at the 2016 playoff teams and their primary starting QBs

1. New England (Brady)
    2. Pittsburgh (Rothlesberger)
    3. Kansas City (Alex Smith)
    4. Oakland (Derek Carr)
    5. Miami (Tannehill)
    6. Houston (Osweiler)
    7. Dallas (Prescott)
    8. Green Bay (Rodgers)
    9. Atlanta (Ryan)
    10. Detroit (Stafford)
    11. Giants (Eli)
    12. Seattle (Wilson)

Of those 12 teams, Tyrod would only start for one team (Houston). The other 11 QBs are better than he is, in most cases the difference is significant.

The handicap of not having a better QB and being in a division where a 9-7 record won't win the division are two handicaps that are too big to overcome. Throw in that other QBs that are better that weren't in the playoffs (Luck, Flacco, Dalton, Rivers) and I just can't see how they are a playoff team with Tyrod at QB.

If they were in the South and could win the title with a 9 win season I would be with you. But they aren't and need at least 10 wins to make it. That's too high for a team with Tyrod at QB unless the defense is top 5 at all times and even that might not do it.
    Last edited by Dr. Lecter; 02-08-2017 at 04:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

2. Post thanked by:

djjimkelly (02-08-2017),Mace (02-08-2017),swiper (02-08-2017),TacklingDummy (02-08-2017),The last buffalo fan (02-09-2017),WagonCircler (02-08-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    Sorry. I took you to be serious when you said '...to be honest.' My bad.

How come?

Do they gain an advantage by announcing it early, though? They have to wait until the physical, anyway. So how does letting the world know help us?
    The only acceptable reason for me that they are waiting one way or the other is the surgery.

That said if they decided to pick it up why not announce it now? May help with renegotiating with our own guys potentially

Thanks
    Thanked 30,557 Times in 17,441 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

They can't announce it now if they are trying to renegotiate the deal, that wouldn't be too bright. The only leverage they have is the 'cut' factor.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

5. Post thanked by:

Joe Fo Sho (02-09-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 24,454 Times in 14,166 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Is it sad that I read this thread title and thought he was releasing a mixtape?
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

7. Post thanked by:

djjimkelly (02-08-2017),Joe Fo Sho (02-08-2017),Night Train (02-11-2017)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jimmifli View Post
    He didn't run that in Philly or Carolina, I admit the defensive coaching choices seem worrisome. But he's also proven capable of adjusting to personnel and not just being dogmatic about his scheme. So if it's not working we can expect adjustments, not complaints about lack of talent (not my guys). We should know more after the draft, if they overspend on D again, we'll know I'm wrong.

On offense, there were lots of plays where as soon as the ball was snapped you could see McCoy wasn't going to be touched for at least five yards. Every tackler was accounted for and he had a lead blocker. They were freebies, created by scheme not talent. There were other plays where we matched up evenly and Ritchie dominated his assignment or McCoy beat his man to the corner. Those plays continue regardless of scheme, but will we still be successful without the free yardage? Can Dennison create similar successful mismatches?

It's not like he was overly successful in Denver.
    Well the problem though is that we didn't hire McDermott to be the DC and he may well be slipping into his HC hat.

Frazier is an established DC (known for stubborn Lovie Smith Tampa-2), a former HC himself, and supporting hires of Tampa-2 staff could well mean the obvious, that McDermott will have him running the defense. Doesn't really make sense to me that McDermott will bring in Frazier to be a Dennis Thurman type accessory. Again, and this is significant, McDermott isn't here as DC.

On offense, the running game was certainly excellent, the best in the league, and we finished 7-9 because we had an inadequate passer. Falling behind, you cannot stick with running the ball in the 2nd half, it eats too much clock. A great running game is dandy but cannot compete with the points the big boys can put up. It can certainly roll over some middlin' to poor teams, but it is slow, time consuming and dubious against better teams.

I don't really know what Dennison can do, and how much Kubiak did in their pairing, but they got some results from Schaub in Houston, Osweiler, did well in working around a rag armed Peyton, and got 8 wins out of the previously unknown Trevor Siemian. Can he create running game mismatches ? I don't care as much about those as I would about coming up with a viable passing game that can use clock and grab yards. I don't know if you're thinking he (they) wasn't (weren't) that good at running game in Denver, but they won a Super Bowl needing to use it.

Dallas would have Prescott pass them quickly down the field, then boom, handoff and Elliott is gone against a defense lulled into pass protection. With the Bills, Taylor's inadequacy as a passer makes it more or less a no brainer on most plays.

They don't have talent for a Tampa-2 in the secondary and at LB (if they go to it), and they don't have talent for a passing offense, so I can't see it ending with a particular success unless they hang on to Taylor and he suddenly becomes a passer, which I find dubious with a WR coach for QB's, or develop/draft one, which I find dubious with a WR coach for QB's.

Like I said, and I'll say again, I really do hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see the optimism.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,924 Times in 4,182 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    On offense, the running game was certainly excellent, the best in the league, and we finished 7-9 because we had an inadequate passer.
    We finished 7-9 because in 8 of those losses our "Build-a-Bully" gave up 27 or more points. Gil's posted the stats of how other teams manage when their defense ****s the bed and it isn't pretty.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,047 Times in 661 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We finished 7-9 because in 8 of those losses our "Build-a-Bully" gave up 27 or more points. Gil's posted the stats of how other teams manage when their defense ****s the bed and it isn't pretty.
    100% agree. Is Tyrod an elite QB? no. But he's good enough to make the playoffs as long as our defense holds. Take a look at those 9 losses. How many were Tyrod's fault? The only definitive losses I can pin on him is that Ravens and Steelers game. But the defense blew the game in the 2 miami games, the seahawks game, that oakland game, etc...

I hope we find a way to restructure his contract and keep him. I dont think we're that far away from the playoffs.

11. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (02-09-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 853 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    it would probably be better then his qb play

Thanks
    Thanked 5,853 Times in 3,502 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TacklingDummy View Post
    After looking at who the Bills are playing next year, 7-9 will be a miracle.
    With any available QB.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,853 Times in 3,502 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    100% agree. Is Tyrod an elite QB? no. But he's good enough to make the playoffs as long as our defense holds. Take a look at those 9 losses. How many were Tyrod's fault? The only definitive losses I can pin on him is that Ravens and Steelers game. But the defense blew the game in the 2 miami games, the seahawks game, that oakland game, etc...

I hope we find a way to restructure his contract and keep him. I dont think we're that far away from the playoffs.
    Wouldn't necessarily say he blew the Ravens home opener...road games are always tough and the Ravens have a guy named Joe Flaco.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,047 Times in 661 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jamze132 View Post
    Wouldn't necessarily say he blew the Ravens home opener...road games are always tough and the Ravens have a guy named Joe Flaco.
    I suppose... but all Im saying is that the defense played well enough to win. At least the first few plays on offense, Tyrod just couldnt throw for whatever reason. There were threads and images captured all over the net and this board showing WIDE open receivers. This was a winnable game, and Tyrod didnt do anything to help.

But I'd still rather have him on this team over any of the alternatives.

16. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (02-09-2017),The last buffalo fan (02-09-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    They can't announce it now if they are trying to renegotiate the deal, that wouldn't be too bright. The only leverage they have is the 'cut' factor.
    No way he would take less to stay here, this is not even an option in my opinion. I agree with bulldog if you do not like him at 20th highest paid QB then move on all together.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    I thought Tyrod was a new rave band and needed to ask my 21 year old daughter who they were.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If Pegula's weren't the new owners, my guess would be March 10th lol.

While we all assume that there's nothing out there, that it's not worth letting him go, etc, there is still the original question presented in the thread title, so...

With that said, if it were to happen, I like the # 7.

20. Post thanked by:

djjimkelly (02-22-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,219 Times in 3,688 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

March 3rd, enough time for Tyrod to relatch onto someone. Good riddance.

22. Post thanked by:

djjimkelly (02-22-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I dunno. I mean if you watched the same games I did, Taylor just isn't capable of passing them down the field, reads, directing his receivers, managing clock, and he's not a kid. He doesn't seem to have any chemistry with receivers, like any of them, and basically executes plays looking for running lanes to minimize turnovers.

You have to have seen other games like I did, where teams (even against good defenses) can score three times in 6 minutes, no matter what the defenses are doing, with clock management, picking at opposing weaknesses, moving the ball in chunks because there is no time for running plays.

We honestly finished 7-9 because Tyrod is less worse but not good enough. Good running games nowadays only result in wins if you have passers.

I still think they keep him because he's less worse, and you're going to see him do the same thing next year. Execute plays and look for running lanes without terrible mistakes, and without any dynamic passing capability to direct receivers, manage clock or pick at weaknesses.while looking for running lanes that will eventually get him creamed.
    Last edited by Mace; 02-20-2017 at 09:40 PM.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I dunno. I mean if you watched the same games I did, Taylor just isn't capable of passing them down the field, reads, directing his receivers, managing clock, and he's not a kid. He doesn't seem to have any chemistry with receivers, like any of them, and basically executes plays looking for running lanes to minimize turnovers.

You have to have seen other games like I did, where teams (even against good defenses) can score three times in 6 minutes, no matter what the defenses are doing, with clock management, picking at opposing weaknesses, moving the ball in chunks because there is no time for running plays.

We honestly finished 7-9 because Tyrod is less worse but not good enough. Good running games nowadays only result in wins if you have passers.

I still think they keep him because he's less worse, and you're going to see him do the same thing next year. Execute plays and look for running lanes without terrible mistakes, and without any dynamic passing capability to direct receivers, manage clock or pick at weaknesses.while looking for running lanes that will eventually get him creamed.
    With all that, I'm not sure why you previously advocated to purchase Fitz as a QB mentor. You are sayng here that Taylor has reached his level and nothing is going to change that..
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    With all that, I'm not sure why you previously advocated to purchase Fitz as a QB mentor. You are sayng here that Taylor has reached his level and nothing is going to change that..
    You think I want him to mentor Taylor ? You don't really read anything do you. That was for the younger players who have WR coaches as QB coaches. I said that too. Go back and read.

Come on, man.
    Last edited by Mace; 02-20-2017 at 10:23 PM.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You think I want him to mentor Taylor ? You don't really read anything do you. That was for the younger players who have WR coaches as QB coaches. I said that too. Go back and read.

Come on, man.
    Uh -your words...

"This might sound like a stupid idea, but I'd be interested in Fitzpatrick. There was talk about him retiring, and I'd offer him a role leading into a coaching path. I always believed Fitzpatricks head knew precisely what to do, but his arm just couldn't do it. I really think Fitzpatrick, if he chooses to go into it, will have an outstanding coaching path and career, and I'd sound him out about it."...

Come on, man...
    Last edited by stuckincincy; 02-20-2017 at 10:30 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

There is SO MUCH STUPIDITY on this forum. Why on earth does anyone want to release Tyrod where there are no better options available.