Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tyrod refusing to restructure

Thanks
    Thanked 5,934 Times in 3,490 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Tyrod refusing to restructure

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    I thought we could let Tyrod go and it would only cost us $3MM. Is it really $10MM?
    idk just reading what somebody posted

2. Post thanked by:

Joe Fo Sho (02-10-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dmoney View Post
    http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/

so there is always this to make you all feel good....
    Tom Brady #574???

In fact there a four Bills before the first Patriot. The Bills aren't cheap anymore. Now they are just stupid.

4. Post thanked by:

TacklingDummy (02-12-2017),WagonCircler (02-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,530 Times in 17,423 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's not a bad contract and was fair to both sides.

If you're great, we'll pay you like you're great.
    If you suck, you'll get cut because you suck.

Tyrod wasn't great, so really there should be no qualms about not paying him. But, he sucked 'just good enough' that some feel he shouldn't simply be let go.

If the same language was inserted into EJ's contract prior to last season it wouldn't be an issue with people because the outcome is so obviously apparent.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

6. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-10-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,481 Times in 1,479 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

There is no reason for Tyrod to accept anything other than the original deal. If he stays in Buffalo and renegotiates, everyone knows he's a stopgap, which can effectively end his career and value. By agreeing to stay with a team that is begrudgingly keeping him because they have no one else he is devaluing himself.
    If he stays, he will be cut eventually, effectually ruining his career.
    He has no choice from his perspective but to move on and take the 10mil if that's what the buyout is which is a gift from God, and sign on with another team that actually wants him and he'll still have the some money in the end, with some dignity.
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

8. Post thanked by:

Mouldsie (02-12-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I can't find anything about a $10mil buy out. According to spotrac, the only guaranteed money was $9.5mil (2.6 base salary, 3.5 roster bonus, and 3.4 signing bonus). If the team cuts him, he doesn't get any additional money (unless I'm missing something) and the only cap ramification is the remainder of his signing bonus (2.6mil) gets rolled up into the '17 cap.

10. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-10-2017)

Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin' Buffalogic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

There is no buyout.

12. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-10-2017)

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

What I don't get is what the hell the latest spin means... Tyrod won't restructure. But he'll later his contract to give the Bills more cap room... What's the difference again? If he said I won't take a pay cut but will restructure I get that. But I won't take a pay cut or restructure but I'll alter the contract to give you more cap room. Huh?

Add 2022 to the deal with an option to get out in a future year and spread the bonuses out to that additional year. It's actually a pay cut but don't tell him that.

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Turf View Post
    There is no reason for Tyrod to accept anything other than the original deal. If he stays in Buffalo and renegotiates, everyone knows he's a stopgap, which can effectively end his career and value. By agreeing to stay with a team that is begrudgingly keeping him because they have no one else he is devaluing himself.
    If he stays, he will be cut eventually, effectually ruining his career.
    He has no choice from his perspective but to move on and take the 10mil if that's what the buyout is which is a gift from God, and sign on with another team that actually wants him and he'll still have the some money in the end, with some dignity.
    Or... He really does believe the Bills can win and he can help them, he loves the team, he believes in himself, he knows Rex and the crappy scheme screwed him, and he wants to stay.

To me, we go to a more spread O, go more balanced over run heavy, and prove to ourselves that Tyrod can throw to multiple WR's at 20 yrds or less most of the time and in under 3 seconds and we're just fine.

I've always felt McCoy does better with more room to pick his holes anyways.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,490 Times in 9,187 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era View Post
    To me, we go to a more spread O, go more balanced over run heavy, and prove to ourselves that Tyrod can throw to multiple WR's at 20 yrds or less most of the time and in under 3 seconds and we're just fine.

Well if that's all, then it's just dandy. Forcing him to pass better, read faster, react quicker will certainly be the answer we haven't tried.

Let's face it, Whaley nailed his own foot into the floor certain he wouldn't need to walk around. He was thinking to grade as pass/fail, not expecting a "C-". With Taylor, the Bills can't be good enough, without Taylor they do themselves harm in the short term

I expect them to pick up his option and not be good enough for the duration, myself, it's just what the Bills do. They don't fail spectacularly, but they can't succeed either because their focus is set to least worse.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,481 Times in 1,479 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I was for keeping Tyrod, but after these playoffs and especially the Super Bowl I'm kidding myself thinking he can make any of the throws needed to win those big games. We need to find an accurate pocket passer.

17. Post thanked by:

djjimkelly (02-11-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Turf View Post
    I was for keeping Tyrod, but after these playoffs and especially the Super Bowl I'm kidding myself thinking he can make any of the throws needed to win those big games. We need to find an accurate pocket passer.
    You can make this claim for all but 6 teams or so, NFL has a QB problem.

19. Post thanked by:

Mouldsie (02-12-2017)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,490 Times in 9,187 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kingJofNYC View Post
    You can make this claim for all but 6 teams or so, NFL has a QB problem.
    I think they're slowly being overpowered by the college game. Spread or Air Raid offense is slowly bouncing down the stairs and the NFL game keeps backing up steps to stuff it into the evolution of the pro game at their own pace.

21. Post thanked by:

jamze132 (02-12-2017)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Love it.

This will usher in a new QB and not prolong the marriage of the Bills and a 7-9 record.

23. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (02-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    Love it.

This will usher in a new QB and not prolong the marriage of the Bills and a 7-9 record.

Right. It could very well lead to a 5-11 record.

I guess drafting @ #8 instead of #10 would be great to some Bills fans.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 853 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    Right. It could very well lead to a 5-11 record.

I guess drafting @ #8 instead of #10 would be great to some Bills fans.
    i truly want a 2 win season.

i now back cardale jones!!!!!!

26. Post thanked by:

TacklingDummy (02-12-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    It's not a bad contract and was fair to both sides.

If you're great, we'll pay you like you're great.
    If you suck, you'll get cut because you suck.

Tyrod wasn't great, so really there should be no qualms about not paying him. But, he sucked 'just good enough' that some feel he shouldn't simply be let go.

If the same language was inserted into EJ's contract prior to last season it wouldn't be an issue with people because the outcome is so obviously apparent.
    I hate to argue but this is an awful contract. We were in the driver's seat when we were negotiating last year and we came up with this? All or nothing? I agree he's not great but there will be plenty of teams signing him if we don't.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,844 Times in 3,497 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

There is no better option currently available than Tyrod. However, the contract is much more of an issue than his physical and mental abilities. I would love to have him back and see how he develops with new coaching...we all know Rex never hired coaches that bring out the best in a player, especially QB.

But the near term problem here is our brutal schedule next season. You can pretty much take it to the bank right now that whatever we do we will have no better than an 8-8 record after next season. So why take a chance that a "different" kind of QB is going to actually figure it out in a new offense with new coaches in his first year? Probably not the best way to allocate resources considering all of the variables involved in having a winning team. Whaley and Overdorf are the real issue here. They put this team in a huge pickle and were able to smooth talk the owners into blessing off on this absurd contract. Wouldn't shock me if Brandon had his hand in it too. Complete mess. Total incompetence from an NFL front office and every year the fans pay for it.
    Last edited by jamze132; 02-12-2017 at 06:07 AM.

29. Post thanked by:

HHURRICANE (02-12-2017),Historian (02-16-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jamze132 View Post
    There is no better option currently available than Tyrod. However, the contract is much more of an issue than his physical and mental abilities. I would love to have him back and see how he develops with new coaching...we all know Rex never hired coaches that bring out the best in a player, especially QB.
    And this offensive coaching staff inspires you? At least Rex hired a QB coach that had coached QBs before. Our current QB coach has spent his last 29 years coaching WRs.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sudzy View Post
    And this offensive coaching staff inspires you? At least Rex hired a QB coach that had coached QBs before. Our current QB coach has spent his last 29 years coaching WRs.
    Maybe Tyrod needs somebody that has had extensive experience with WR's so the coach can tell him who he's supposed to be throwing the ****ing ball to.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era View Post
    What I don't get is what the hell the latest spin means... Tyrod won't restructure. But he'll later his contract to give the Bills more cap room... What's the difference again? If he said I won't take a pay cut but will restructure I get that. But I won't take a pay cut or restructure but I'll alter the contract to give you more cap room. Huh?

Add 2022 to the deal with an option to get out in a future year and spread the bonuses out to that additional year. It's actually a pay cut but don't tell him that.
    The latest spin is Tyrod won't take less money but willing to change how he gets the money or as a contract or bonus. As the Bills could change terms and free up more cap room as needed. Yet not sure Tyrod's good enough so I say bring in another bridge QB and draft a guy like Nathan Peterson in the 3rd Round to compete with Foles and Cardale. If none of them pan out then maybe take a QB in Round 1 next year depending on who comes out.