Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many Bills playoff games/teams have you experienced ?

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,509 Times in 9,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

How many Bills playoff games/teams have you experienced ?

As I mentioned in another thread, in around 47 freaking years of my love for them, I've seen 13 playoff teams and 11 playoff wins. I'm well aware younger people have seen a fraction of that "success", if any, and some older people might have been fortunate enough to add to it with the 60's champs.

I suppose I should be happy about experiencing the 90's SB teams, and I am to some extent, though it kind of shocks me that those teams are now more than two decades ago (hey, I've been busy, I guess).

I have a feeling this thread is going to make me feel bad, but hey, how many have you experienced (been there for, tv, radio) ?

2. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (02-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,219 Times in 3,688 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: How many Bills playoff games/teams have you experienced ?

43 years for me.

4. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,394 Times in 13,783 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'll be 38 next month. 1990 was the first year I really paid attention to football. Before that, I watched but I didn't really understand it and didn't get invested in the games so I don't count anything before that.

27 years as a Bills fan. 8 playoff teams, with 10 playoff wins.

I remember Wide Right. I remember listening to the Comeback Game on the radio cuz it was blacked out in Rochester and going to Wegmans with my mom at halftime cuz I was so pissed with the score, but they started announcing the score in the store and I rushed her out of there to go home and hear the end. I remember watching the Jacksonville playoff loss at a friend's house in Wayne County because they could get the Syracuse feed on rabbit ears. I remember watching the first half of the Music City Mirage on TV and hearing the devastating end on the radio (prior commitment I couldn't get out of).

I remember seeing Bill Cowher in the elevator in the hotel in 2004 before the disastrous season finale that kept us out of the playoffs.

The only playoff game I ever attended was the demolition of the Chiefs in this final AFC Championship with the Chiefs. I remember mocking them with the Tomahawk Chop as the police lined the perimeter of the field with K-9 units sporting huge German shepards to prevent a repeat of the goal post incident.

Not good.

6. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-12-2017)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,509 Times in 9,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    I'll be 38 next month. 1990 was the first year I really paid attention to football. Before that, I watched but I didn't really understand it and didn't get invested in the games so I don't count anything before that.

27 years as a Bills fan. 8 playoff teams, with 10 playoff wins.

I remember Wide Right. I remember listening to the Comeback Game on the radio cuz it was blacked out in Rochester and going to Wegmans with my mom at halftime cuz I was so pissed with the score, but they started announcing the score in the store and I rushed her out of there to go home and hear the end. I remember watching the Jacksonville playoff loss at a friend's house in Wayne County because they could get the Syracuse feed on rabbit ears. I remember watching the first half of the Music City Mirage on TV and hearing the devastating end on the radio (prior commitment I couldn't get out of).

I remember seeing Bill Cowher in the elevator in the hotel in 2004 before the disastrous season finale that kept us out of the playoffs.

The only playoff game I ever attended was the demolition of the Chiefs in this final AFC Championship with the Chiefs. I remember mocking them with the Tomahawk Chop as the police lined the perimeter of the field with K-9 units sporting huge German shepards to prevent a repeat of the goal post incident.

Not good.
    The first one I remember, was 1974, against the powerful Steelers. Saban was here, we had the Juice and what I thought of as a kid, an emerging defense with Patulski, Kadish, Cheyunski and Robert James. Saban sort of gave off this intense vibe, like there weren't any better coaches, he just hadn't put them down yet. The Juice was capable of anything you figured, at any time. Ferguson was relatively new in his second season, he was sure to pull it together finally for a Bills QB after Dennis Shaw flailing.

They were up 7-3 after a quarter, but it looked shaky. I thought the Bills were who the Steelers were when the game started, but it was hard to not see the Steelers were who you wished you were instead, oh that defense was painful. But I figured 7-3, we can do this !

Nah, Steelers beat the crap out of us and won the Super Bowl. Next year it comes together and they'll be sorry !
    Last edited by Mace; 02-12-2017 at 09:16 PM.

8. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (02-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I've only seen one in person at the stadium...not this stadium either...

The 1989 Divisional Round game vs the Browns.

I do get to lay claim to having actually watched the Greatest Comeback in NFL History live on TV as I lived in Cleveland at the time of the game. For years I used to mock family members that they couldn't sell out that game to see it on TV.

Back then family members would buy me Bills attire to wear and I was okay with it until they started rubbing in the Bills can make the Super Bowl and the Browns weren't able to get by the Broncos. I stopped wearing the stuff and openly rooted for the Bills to lose in the most nefarious way possible just for the laughs.

Once 1997 hit, because of no Browns in Cleveland, I started openly rooting for the Bills to win as I had lived here and felt a respect for Ralph and the organization for recognizing the Dawg Pound.

So the last 3 playoff games I actually openly rooted for the Bills to win, they lost all 3 in heartbreaking fashion. Wide Right. Doug Flutie fumble on the 8 yard line. And then Music City Miracle.

10. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-12-2017),OpIv37 (02-12-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think the point of this thread is so many bad moments, so few good ones. Look, only one team can win every year so most teams have more bad moments than good ones. The difference is that we've never had that ultimate good moment that makes all the bad ones worthwhile.

12. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-13-2017)

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,943 Times in 4,386 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

45 years old, i only remember the Kelly and Flutie Eras.

14. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-13-2017)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Can remember them winning the 1965 championship as a 5 year old.

They have ruined me.

16. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (02-18-2017),Mace (02-13-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I remember Dennis Shaw. Puke.

18. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-13-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,916 Times in 3,546 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Turning 39 next month, been a die-hard since my first game at Rich Stadium in 1987.

20. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-13-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,649 Times in 17,504 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I go back to about 1970, but I honestly have no recall of that Pittsburgh playoff game in '74.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

22. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-13-2017)

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I was 8 years old when the Bills lost their last Superbowl, so I only vaguely remember those games. I didn't really start following the Bills closely or really understanding how football was played until probably the late 90's. I remember watching the music city miracle, sitting on my couch speechless. I couldn't believe what just happened. I kept thinking, oh well...we'll be back next year...there's always next year. After all, the Bills only missed the playoffs twice in that decade, right? Oh how little I knew..

24. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-13-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I was at every Bills home playoff game since the late 1980s. I also went to all the 4 Bills Super Bowls (I've also been to 2 others for a total of 6 Super Bowls-the one in NJ was too close to resist driving the 2.5 hours to see and the one in the 49ers Levi stadium was a family thing)

26. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-13-2017)

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,488 Times in 15,575 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I've been watching on tv since 1967, and attended my first game in 1971.

50 years of low-lights with a few good years mixed in between.

We had season tickets in 1970-71, 1973-75, 79-84, 87-99, 2003-07, and 2012-present.

Giving them up this year.

The league as a whole has gone downhill, and the Bills have become a punchline.

I wish I had some of that money back.

28. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-13-2017),Night Train (02-13-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    I was 8 years old when the Bills lost their last Superbowl, so I only vaguely remember those games. I didn't really start following the Bills closely or really understanding how football was played until probably the late 90's. I remember watching the music city miracle, sitting on my couch speechless. I couldn't believe what just happened. I kept thinking, oh well...we'll be back next year...there's always next year. After all, the Bills only missed the playoffs twice in that decade, right? Oh how little I knew..
    I'm a few years older than you but had a similar experience. For the first decade that I followed the team, they were good.

My family's not from WNY and my dad didn't start following the Bills til the early 80's, so he only experienced a few bad years before the lineup that eventually became the 90's SB teams started coming together. So, I didn't even have anyone in my family who knew how horrid the team was after those two AFL championships.

So, as horrible as the Music City Mirage was, at the time it didn't bother me as much because I thought we'd be back. 18 years later....

30. Post thanked by:

Joe Fo Sho (02-13-2017),Mace (02-13-2017)

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    I'm a few years older than you but had a similar experience. For the first decade that I followed the team, they were good.

My family's not from WNY and my dad didn't start following the Bills til the early 80's, so he only experienced a few bad years before the lineup that eventually became the 90's SB teams started coming together. So, I didn't even have anyone in my family who knew how horrid the team was after those two AFL championships.

So, as horrible as the Music City Mirage was, at the time it didn't bother me as much because I thought we'd be back. 18 years later....
    I remember when I was young and my Dad (who is a diehard Miami fan) asked me if I was excited for the playoffs to be starting. I didn't hardly follow the NFL at all and had no idea what the Bills record was, but without hesitating I asked, who do the Bills play? It was just assumed, for me at least, that the Bills would be in the playoffs year in and year out.

32. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-13-2017)

Registered User kscdogbillsfan1221's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,917 Times in 2,093 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm 35 years old and didn't understand football until 1990 when I was 8 or 9. So I remember all of the superbowls.
    I did have tickets to the greatest comeback but had emergency surgery two days before so those had to be sold.
    Went to the last playoff game In buffalo In December 1996 which was Jim Kelly's last game. been a horrible existence since then
    I came.
    I saw.
    I conquered.

34. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-13-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kscdogbillsfan1221 View Post
    I'm 35 years old and didn't understand football until 1990 when I was 8 or 9. So I remember all of the superbowls.
    I did have tickets to the greatest comeback but had emergency surgery two days before so those had to be sold.
    Went to the last playoff game In buffalo In December 1996 which was Jim Kelly's last game. been a horrible existence since then
    When the comeback game didn't sell out, I was begging my dad to go. I almost had him convinced but then he hurt his back. I was only 13 at the time so there was no way I could have gone on my own.

36. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-13-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 621 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

My 1st realization of being a fan came in 1962... Seen every playoff game since merger either live or on TV except 1993 vs KC (Was dating my wife and tried to make a good impression).

38. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-13-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 853 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

ive been paying attention since 1984 i was 11 when the football fever hit me i loved joe cribbs and joe ferguson and fred smerlas lol hell at this point id take a second coming of joe ferguson over the bums we have seen the last 20 years.

ive seen every game since pretty much. i got the oilers comeback covered too was at a local bar for the game maybe 100 people to start. by the start of the 3rd it was me my HS football coach and 2 of my friends left. my dad left at halftime. HAHA

so in the end every playoff game since the mid 80's

40. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-13-2017)