Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kicking the tires on AJ McCarron, Part 2:

May Day and Spring 2024! Frenchman's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Kicking the tires on AJ McCarron, Part 2:

He does have potential. But whether he has stanima who knows!
    ​Ready for NFL Draft!

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    That doesn't even make sense. Longer term rookie picks are cheaper than endless short term vet fa's and build the younger foundation that sets your organization on a path to continued success without endlessly replugging the same holes with more expensive older guys.

There's absolutely no way you'd want to minimize your longer term, cheaper talent pool in favor of a shorter term more expensive pool of talent. You have to compete for vet fa's and Buffalo is not a desired location without overspending, you lock in your rookie picks within a scale.
    Maybe it does, maybe not. The NFL assigns each club with a dollar figure, apportioned among their draft picks - AFAIK.

NFL and NFLPA contract rules would make the Byzantines dizzy. What I was getting at is if there if a finite amount of $ to spend, more picks = more dilution of the available bucks. To the detriment of the draftee (and his agent).

As to buying an FA, isn't that just a money deal, mitigated/affected by cap considerations?
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,946 Times in 3,498 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    McCarron's not my "boy." I offer up info about him because he likely will figure is some team's thought processes. I offer to the forum my thoughts, as one who gets more info than most regarding him.

Draft pundits place Trubisky anywhere from 2nd to way, way down.

If he's considered a hot thing, BUF would have to move up. If he drops to BUF's spot some might say he isn't so hot.

What I see so far is a one-season wonder, ala Akili Smith.
    Well ok he's not you're boy he's just a guy you start multiple threads about, my bad.

You're right, inexperience for Trub is a negative. That makes grading him harder, makes him less ready to start and makes it more likely he is there at 10. But inexperience doesn't mean he's either going to be good or bad, just harder to know. Akili Smith sucked. Not sure what that fact has to do with Trub though, very different players.

Taking Trub with a high pick is much riskier than trading for a guy like McCarron but in lottery terms Trub is a Power Ball ticket and AJ is a scratch ticket.

4. Post thanked by:

Mouldsie (02-20-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Maybe it does, maybe not. The NFL assigns each club with a dollar figure, apportioned among their draft picks - AFAIK.

NFL and NFLPA contract rules would make the Byzantines dizzy. What I was getting at is if there if a finite amount of $ to spend, more picks = more dilution of the available bucks. To the detriment of the draftee (and his agent).

As to buying an FA, isn't that just a money deal, mitigated/affected by cap considerations?
    The rookie pool is slotted by pick. If the team acquired more picks, they would get more in the rookie pool, since the allotment goes with the pick.

6. Post thanked by:

YardRat (02-20-2017)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by GingerP View Post
    The rookie pool is slotted by pick. If the team acquired more picks, they would get more in the rookie pool, since the allotment goes with the pick.
    Thank you for the clarification.

I think it also has to do with the rounds - you can have less total picks, but if they are higher, more $ can be allocated.

8. Post thanked by:

YardRat (02-21-2017)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cody View Post
    Well ok he's not you're boy he's just a guy you start multiple threads about, my bad.

You're right, inexperience for Trub is a negative. That makes grading him harder, makes him less ready to start and makes it more likely he is there at 10. But inexperience doesn't mean he's either going to be good or bad, just harder to know. Akili Smith sucked. Not sure what that fact has to do with Trub though, very different players.

Taking Trub with a high pick is much riskier than trading for a guy like McCarron but in lottery terms Trub is a Power Ball ticket and AJ is a scratch ticket.
    And yet, we have the following attributed to the sainted Bill Polian:

..."Hall of Fame general manager Bill Polian hasn’t been shy about his affinity for McCarron. Last month he said that the Alabama product is probably the top target for quarterback hungry teams.

Bill Polian says AJ McCarron is probably #1 on the list for teams without a quarterback next season. Adds teams will be "very interested".
    — Cincy Jungle (@CincyJungle) January 3, 2017

And just a few days ago, Polian said he would take McCarron over drafting any quarterback in this year’s NFL Draft.

HOF GM Bill Polian just told @ESPN1000 in Chicago he would take #Bengals AJ McCarron over any QB in this draft... https://t.co/nXI9AMqO1n
    — Jim Owczarski (@JimOwczarski) February 15, 2017 "...

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/2/19...b-trade-target

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It seems Bills fans have accurately focused in on the likely choices like Foles or McCarron. Still none of these choices are great.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,564 Times in 17,446 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Thank you for the clarification.

I think it also has to do with the rounds - you can have less total picks, but if they are higher, more $ can be allocated.
    Yes, a team with only four picks, all in the first four rounds, is going to have a higher rookie allocation than another team with only four picks, all in the last four rounds.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 5,946 Times in 3,498 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

And yet, we have the following attributed to the sainted Bill Polian:

..."Hall of Fame general manager Bill Polian hasn’t been shy about his affinity for McCarron. Last month he said that the Alabama product is probably the top target for quarterback hungry teams.

Bill Polian says AJ McCarron is probably #1 on the list for teams without a quarterback next season. Adds teams will be "very interested".
    — Cincy Jungle (@CincyJungle) January 3, 2017

And just a few days ago, Polian said he would take McCarron over drafting any quarterback in this year’s NFL Draft.

HOF GM Bill Polian just told @ESPN1000 in Chicago he would take #Bengals AJ McCarron over any QB in this draft... https://t.co/nXI9AMqO1n
    — Jim Owczarski (@JimOwczarski) February 15, 2017 "...

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/2/19...b-trade-target
    But you have no actual take on any of this this yourself right? You're just here to provide "information"? C'mon man grow a pair. Admit you have a blow up AJ doll in your room.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cody View Post
    But you have no actual take on any of this this yourself right? You're just here to provide "information"? C'mon man grow a pair. Admit you have a blow up AJ doll in your room.
    Sorry - no AJ doll. But I have a Trubisky dartboard and the Kizer and Watson bobbleheads.

14. Post thanked by:

Bill Cody (02-21-2017)