Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: There is a lot of QB stupidity going on around here.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,286 Times in 13,719 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

There is a lot of QB stupidity going on around here.

First, let's talk numbers. Tyrod makes $15.9 million, but it's $10 million in dead cap if we cut him. So, we met less than $6 million. Even if we find a journeyman that we can put on a backloaded contract and get his salary to $2 million, that's only an additional $4 million against the cap. It helps but it's not enough to make or break the off-season.

Second, the options available are terrible and expensive. Romo is a choke artist who can't stay healthy, and only has a year or two left in him anyway (he'll be 37 when camp starts). Cutler is a head case and a locker rom cancer who hasn't been to the playoffs in 8 years. I'm appalled that anyone would suggest him.

Oh, and Romo's cap hit is $24.7 million and Cutler's is $16 million. Granted, I'm sure they'd find some way to get that down if they were to go after either one of those guys, but it's ludicrous to think that one of those guys minus several million in cap is better than Taylor with more cap to fix the other holes. Don't confuse "better" with "good enough to win."

Finally, I've heard people suggest that Cardale start. The guy simply isn't ready and he'll get shell-shocked. It's really just a terrible idea to start him at this point. I wouldn't mind seeing them work him in during certain situations, but it's unfair to him and the team to put that much pressure on someone with so little experience.

I'm not particularly keen on the idea of keeping Taylor but so far, all the options people are touting instead are worse.

2. Post thanked by:

Figster (02-22-2017),jamze132 (02-24-2017),Kenny (02-22-2017),Saratoga Slim (02-23-2017),The last buffalo fan (02-23-2017),X-Era (02-23-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,555 Times in 1,027 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: There is a lot of QB stupidity going on around here.

Picking up a guy like Nick Foles, drafting a QB within the first 3-4 rounds, and grooming him while Foles starts is a decent option, I think. I even think somebody like Hoyer would put up better numbers than Taylor with their run game. For far less money.
    "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

4. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (02-22-2017),The Jokeman (02-22-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Thurmal View Post
    Picking up a guy like Nick Foles, drafting a QB within the first 3-4 rounds, and grooming him while Foles starts is a decent option, I think. I even think somebody like Hoyer would put up better numbers than Taylor with their run game. For far less money.
    Not great options but better than the other suggestions floating around here. Just remember that cutting Taylor means $10 million in dead cap so the cap savings isn't going to be significant by going in that direction.

**** Whaley for that stupid contract.

6. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (02-23-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,412 Times in 1,994 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    First, let's talk numbers. Tyrod makes $15.9 million, but it's $10 million in dead cap if we cut him. So, we met less than $6 million. Even if we find a journeyman that we can put on a backloaded contract and get his salary to $2 million, that's only an additional $4 million against the cap. It helps but it's not enough to make or break the off-season.

Second, the options available are terrible and expensive. Romo is a choke artist who can't stay healthy, and only has a year or two left in him anyway (he'll be 37 when camp starts). Cutler is a head case and a locker rom cancer who hasn't been to the playoffs in 8 years. I'm appalled that anyone would suggest him.

Oh, and Romo's cap hit is $24.7 million and Cutler's is $16 million. Granted, I'm sure they'd find some way to get that down if they were to go after either one of those guys, but it's ludicrous to think that one of those guys minus several million in cap is better than Taylor with more cap to fix the other holes. Don't confuse "better" with "good enough to win."

Finally, I've heard people suggest that Cardale start. The guy simply isn't ready and he'll get shell-shocked. It's really just a terrible idea to start him at this point. I wouldn't mind seeing them work him in during certain situations, but it's unfair to him and the team to put that much pressure on someone with so little experience.

I'm not particularly keen on the idea of keeping Taylor but so far, all the options people are touting instead are worse.
    I don't know where you're getting that $10 mil dead cap number from, but I'm pretty sure it's wrong. If the Bills cut Taylor before March his dead cap is $2.85 mil since that's the only remaining bonus money that was paid and prorated prior to picking up the option. I agree with everything else though. I'd like to see Taylor come back. If they do cut him I would like to see Cardale start. Not because I think he's the answer, but I'd rather the team just bottom out and have a chance at the top qb in 2018.

8. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (02-24-2017),HHURRICANE (02-22-2017),Joe Fo Sho (02-22-2017),kishoph (02-28-2017),The last buffalo fan (02-23-2017),YardRat (02-22-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

There is not a $10 million cap hit if we cut him next month. I have no idea where that came from since the team never paid Tyrod anything close to that & dead cap space money is $ previously paid or guaranteed $, not future non-guaranteed money if he's cut.

The Bills should use their 1st rounder on a QB. Personally, I'd take that pick & use it on the most NFL ready young QB available for that pick. My choice is make NE an offer they can't refuse for Jimmy Garoppolo that includes pick #10 and an additional pick. He's less of a gamble than any of the QBs the team can get at pick 10 and if for some reason he bombs, we can use next year's pick on a QB. It's not like they've never blown a 1st rounder before. Taking a shot with a guy who looked like the real deal against real NFL teams is the best use of our #1 pick. It's only paranoia & conspiracy thinking that keeps fans from seeing the best shot at using a #1 pick on a QB this year isn't a rookie but a guy who was good enough to be picked in the 2nd round out of college and has been developed for 3 years under the best coaching staff in the NFL and played well as a starter before a freak injury on what some would call a dirty play.

10. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (02-24-2017),kishoph (02-28-2017),Skooby (02-23-2017),The last buffalo fan (02-23-2017),YardRat (02-22-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
    The Bills should use their 1st rounder on a QB. Personally, I'd take that pick & use it on the most NFL ready young QB available for that pick. My choice is make NE an offer they can't refuse for Jimmy Garoppolo that includes pick #10 and an additional pick. He's less of a gamble than any of the QBs the team can get at pick 10 and if for some reason he bombs, we can use next year's pick on a QB. It's not like they've never blown a 1st rounder before. Taking a shot with a guy who looked like the real deal against real NFL teams is the best use of our #1 pick. It's only paranoia & conspiracy thinking that keeps fans from seeing the best shot at using a #1 pick on a QB this year isn't a rookie but a guy who was good enough to be picked in the 2nd round out of college and has been developed for 3 years under the best coaching staff in the NFL and played well as a starter before a freak injury on what some would call a dirty play.
    Here's my issue with Garoppolo...the Pats starting QB is 40 and could fall off the cliff, so to speak, at any moment. Remember, Peyton went from having the greatest season ever to garbage in like 18 months. If Garoppolo was any good, Belichick would NEVER trade him, especially in the division.

12. Post thanked by:

HHURRICANE (02-22-2017),kgun12 (02-22-2017),The last buffalo fan (02-23-2017)

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I don't know where you're getting that $10 mil dead cap number from, but I'm pretty sure it's wrong. If the Bills cut Taylor before March his dead cap is $2.85 mil since that's the only remaining bonus money that was paid and prorated prior to picking up the option.
    This is what I've heard, too. It makes cutting ties with Tyrod make even more sense.

Is there any truth to the rumor that the Redskins are looking to shop Cousins? He's the only QB that would make a significant impact for us. I'd be all for trading for him and paying him.

14. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (02-23-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,468 Times in 7,085 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't know where you're getting that $10 mil dead cap number from, but I'm pretty sure it's wrong. If the Bills cut Taylor before March his dead cap is $2.85 mil since that's the only remaining bonus money that was paid and prorated prior to picking up the option. I agree with everything else though. I'd like to see Taylor come back. If they do cut him I would like to see Cardale start. Not because I think he's the answer, but I'd rather the team just bottom out and have a chance at the top qb in 2018.
    There is not a $10 million cap hit if we cut him next month. I have no idea where that came from since the team never paid Tyrod anything close to that & dead cap space money is $ previously paid or guaranteed $, not future non-guaranteed money if he's cut.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    This is what I've heard, too. It makes cutting ties with Tyrod make even more sense.

There is a lot of QB stupidity going on around here.
    Oooops?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I stand corrected on the $10 million cap hit. I swear I read it somewhere but I just looked around and I can't find anything stating that number.

However, if they keep him this year, his 2018 dead cap hit becomes $18 million if cut, so it's basically a two year commitment. What a ****ty contract.

And I stand by my comments that throwing money at Romo or Cutler is stupid.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Here's my issue with Garoppolo...the Pats starting QB is 40 and could fall off the cliff, so to speak, at any moment. Remember, Peyton went from having the greatest season ever to garbage in like 18 months. If Garoppolo was any good, Belichick would NEVER trade him, especially in the division.
    Because of the salary cap & free agency, he HAS TO trade him this year, or he risks getting NOTHING for him in a year from now. To keep him when they can get a #1 pick now, in case Brady falls off the face of the earth & then have to pay him franchise $ is not smart football management. They already spent a #3 on Brissett in preparation of trading Garoppolo this year.
    You don't have to guess that he's not any good-he already played the 1st two games in 2016 and he looked damn good.
    You talk like Belichick is some 40 year old guy with a 25 year coaching life ahead of him-he's in his mid 60s & if he can take our #1 & get another Super Bowl ring next year, he's not going to worry about the long term affects of trading Garoppolo in the division.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You don't have to guess that he's not any good-he already played the 1st two games in 2016 and he looked damn good.
    Every QB looks good for NE under Belichick. Brisset beat the Texans, a playoff team, 27-0. Matt Cassel, who was too crappy for even the Bills, went 11-5.

19. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-22-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Career stats for Tyrod are better in terms of completion percentage, interception ratio and QB Rating. We drafted a QB in round 3 last season. Why so eager to give up on him?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I stand corrected on the $10 million cap hit. I swear I read it somewhere but I just looked around and I can't find anything stating that number.

However, if they keep him this year, his 2018 dead cap hit becomes $18 million if cut, so it's basically a two year commitment. What a ****ty contract.

Does that extra $7 million in cap savings change your opinion that we should keep Tyrod?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    Does that extra $7 million in cap savings change your opinion that we should keep Tyrod?
    I actually think that the 18.5 mill in dead cap is a bigger factor. We literally can't cut him next year so it's a two year commitment.

I really don't like any of the options though. They all wreak of desperation.

23. Post thanked by:

HHURRICANE (02-22-2017),Mace (02-22-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,926 Times in 3,482 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I actually think that the 18.5 mill in dead cap is a bigger factor. We literally can't cut him next year so it's a two year commitment.

The 18.5m in dead cap for next year is exactly why he has to be cut now.

Let's not conflate two different issues.

Issue one is if Tie Rod isn't the guy to bring us to the promised land (spoiler alert: he isn't) then when is the best time to cut him? Obvious answer: now, cap hit is minor (so that part of your original post is crap)

Issue two is: who plays QB if Tie Rod is cut? Answer for me: don't care, just keep drafting QB's until we find THE GUY.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

This is exactly why we should cut him loose now and take the $3 million hit. I'd be fine with keeping Tyrod if he renegotiated his awful contract to something more reasonable.

Probably because we're so desperate.

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,893 Times in 4,353 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Paying Tyrod $16 million is also stupid. The NFL is a business. Why pay $16 million when you can pay 2 million and get the same win/loss records.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,047 Times in 661 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I just dont get what the plan is if we cut TT. Have a look at the cap hits by team: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/quarterback/

TT @ $15.9mm isnt really that bad (he's the 20th highest paid QB by cap). So we cut him, what's the plan? Our running game will likely regress (even though he's not a great passer, he can throw deep, and more importantly, defenders had to worry about TT scrambling and running for yards).
    - We trade draft picks for Garoppolo? Well, it worked well for a few games when we did this with Bledsoe (not to mention all the success Cassel and Alex Smith have had after leaving NE).
    - Start 12 gauge? He's not ready
    - Use our first rounder on Mahommes, Watson, Kizer, etc...? Our team isnt good enough to carry a QB. So you better believe he's the next Luck, Newton, Ryan, etc...
    - Go after a FA like Hoyer, Schaub, Glennon? I dont see how any of these guys are upgrades from TT. Sure they come cheaper, but does that extra few million in cap space saved really help?

Keep TT and fix the real holes: Secondary, Linebacker, WR, RT, etc...
    Last edited by Kenny; 02-22-2017 at 02:51 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 621 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Deadcap is $2.75M if released before to the deadline. In addition, the following is guaranteed to him if he's retained beyond the deadline...
    $15.5M bonus
    $12M 2017 salary
    $3.25M of his $13M 2018 salary

So...
    Release prior to deadline and absorb $2.75M dead cap
    Release prior to 2018 season and absorb $16.15M dead cap ($12.9 prorated bonus + $3.25 guaranteed salary)
    Release prior to 2019 season and absorb $10.33M dead cap
    Release prior to 2020 season and absorb $7.75M dead cap
    Release prior to 2021 season and absorb $5.17M dead cap
    Release prior to 2022 season and absorb $2.58M dead cap

I don't think that's a wise commitment by the Bills.

29. Post thanked by:

YardRat (02-22-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,412 Times in 1,994 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    Deadcap is $2.75M if released before to the deadline. In addition, the following is guaranteed to him if he's retained beyond the deadline...
    $15.5M bonus
    $12M 2017 salary
    $3.25M of his $13M 2018 salary

So...
    Release prior to deadline and absorb $2.75M dead cap
    Release prior to 2018 season and absorb $16.15M dead cap ($12.9 prorated bonus + $3.25 guaranteed salary)
    Release prior to 2019 season and absorb $10.33M dead cap
    Release prior to 2020 season and absorb $7.75M dead cap
    Release prior to 2021 season and absorb $5.17M dead cap
    Release prior to 2022 season and absorb $2.58M dead cap

I don't think that's a wise commitment by the Bills.
    I don't know that these numbers are even that relevant anymore. It sounds like the Bills are only considering bringing Taylor back if they can agree on a restructured deal that's more favorable to the Bills.