Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: There is a lot of QB stupidity going on around here.

snoopy the dog
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: There is a lot of QB stupidity going on around here.

Draft Watson at all costs. He is a leader and guys follow him.
    Get Watson then it will all fall into place.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,047 Times in 661 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jwenger View Post
    Sure why not? I mean look how well Tebow did

3. Post thanked by:

djjimkelly (03-05-2017),Mace (03-05-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'll give Watson credit to getting to the BCS championship back to back years and playing well and being g above average in both games. Yet I have a feeling we're going to be playing a WCO type offense a d not sure it plays to Watson's strengths.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,946 Times in 3,498 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I like leaders. My friend Bob leads me to the bar every Friday at 5 and you're right things seem to fall into place after that....

What were we talking about? Oh Watson. I'd pass on him. He throws it a lot to the guys in the other color jerseys, that scares me.

6. Post thanked by:

Mace (03-02-2017),Night Train (03-05-2017),swiper (03-05-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Nah, just can't agree.

No point in trying to defend Losman the way he turned out, but useful to point out Wyche crowed about Losman's mobility (they talked of running and gunning), then spent the offseason publicly trying to break him of his footwork because he kept trying to use his mobility.

The QB's you mentioned are from a previous era, not spread or air raid. That era is gone. Luck was the last polished pro style QB coming out, and he doesn't come close to comparing with them outside of his early success in his weak division.

The problem absolutely IS coaching, and there's absolutely no way you can get around it. Dallas adapted their offense to work with Prescott, Tennessee & TB build teams around Mariota (Jason Michael previous OC) & Winston (Bajakian, QB coach history), Raiders helped Carr with Musgrave, Wentz in Philly has Reich.

They either have "it" or they don't is so oversimplified it is meaningless, because you're talking about spread/air raid shotgun QB's with 1, 2 reads per play entering the pro game of superior athletes and better DC's looking to stop you. Not teaching mechanics, footwork or reads with any degree of skill guarantees a revolving carousel of crapshoot, hoping guys can magically learn the most complex position in an unforgiving league in terms of time and patience.

I don't know of any skilled profession where a college graduate is plug and play without instruction, because the process is about moving from theory to execution, and the base of knowledge in terms of real world is nonexistent.

You flatly can't not "develop" a QB and say he didn't develop, it speaks for itself.
    I would argue that all the QBs we've acquired during the post-Kelly era were destined to fail regardless of coaching.

Take a guy like Rob Johnson for example. Was he put in a bad situation? Absolutely! The offensive line was horrendous, especially at pass protection. Ultimately his career in Buffalo fizzled out, after which he went to Tampa Bay as a backup. He said that one of the things which attracted him to Tampa was the good coaching (Jon Gruden). But Rob Johnson never amounted to anything in Tampa, despite having received Gruden's coaching.

Drew Bledsoe was essentially the same guy in Dallas as he'd been in Buffalo, except older and less capable. He even gave the Cowboys an initial eight game burst of good play before settling down to his usual self.

J.P. Losman and Trent Edwards were forced out of the NFL due to being unable to secure a roster spot. This, in what should have been the prime of their respective careers. If good coaching could have fixed them, you'd think that some good coach would have figured this out, and would have gotten them a space on his roster.

E.J. Manuel is what he was in college. Coaching isn't going to fix that.

Granted, the Bills' coaching during the post-Kelly era has typically been lacking. But the specific QBs the Bills drafted wouldn't have succeeded no matter what coaching they'd received.
    Last edited by Arm of Harm; 03-05-2017 at 12:02 PM.

8. Post thanked by:

Albany,n.y. (03-05-2017),Mouldsie (03-05-2017),Mr. Pink (03-05-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,633 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The whole Losman thing was laughable from so many angles it still pisses me off to this day.

Missedon Aaron Rodgers because we chased the 5th best QB in a draft with our future picks. We'd laugh if it was any other team.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Thurmal View Post
    Picking up a guy like Nick Foles, drafting a QB within the first 3-4 rounds, and grooming him while Foles starts is a decent option, I think. I even think somebody like Hoyer would put up better numbers than Taylor with their run game. For far less money.
    the big question is Foles gonna be avl.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,633 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Chan Gailey proved through his years, he didn't want to develop a QB, he wanted a vet. The only times he had to suffer young QB's were when there were injuries. He didn't want Ponder, totally unsuited to his pistol, he didn't want Kaepernick totally suited to his pistol. He wanted to stay with Fitz, vet. Chiefs started Huard the vet until stuck with Thigpen from injuries in Thigpen's only real productive year. Jets stuck with Fitz as long as they could.

Gailey wanted to use vets not tailor a QB.
    This is all sorts of wrong IMO. Gailey is on record as wanting Russell Wilson BTW

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mouldsie View Post
    This is all sorts of wrong IMO. Gailey is on record as wanting Russell Wilson BTW
    You'll have to find a link and prove it. Gailey never started a rookie unless he absolutely had to.

Gailey acknowledged he had shown interest in Wilson, but was concerned that, at 5-foot-11 and 206 pounds, he might be too small to succeed at the NFL level.
    http://pro32.ap.org/content/russell-...-bills-50-17-0

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Arm of Harm View Post
    I would argue that all the QBs we've acquired during the post-Kelly era were destined to fail regardless of coaching.

Take a guy like Rob Johnson for example. Was he put in a bad situation? Absolutely! The offensive line was horrendous, especially at pass protection. Ultimately his career in Buffalo fizzled out, after which he went to Tampa Bay as a backup. He said that one of the things which attracted him to Tampa was the good coaching (Jon Gruden). But Rob Johnson never amounted to anything in Tampa, despite having received Gruden's coaching.

Drew Bledsoe was essentially the same guy in Dallas as he'd been in Buffalo, except older and less capable. He even gave the Cowboys an initial eight game burst of good play before settling down to his usual self.

J.P. Losman and Trent Edwards were forced out of the NFL due to being unable to secure a roster spot. This, in what should have been the prime of their respective careers. If good coaching could have fixed them, you'd think that some good coach would have figured this out, and would have gotten them a space on his roster.

E.J. Manuel is what he was in college. Coaching isn't going to fix that.

Granted, the Bills' coaching during the post-Kelly era has typically been lacking. But the specific QBs the Bills drafted wouldn't have succeeded no matter what coaching they'd received.
    Disagree.

"If good coaching could have fixed them, , you'd think that some good coach would have figured this out, and would have gotten them a space on his roster."

I'm not talking about fixing them, I'm talking about developing them. Poorly developed QB's are rarely "fixed", they're discarded because there's a fresh crop at a position with notoriously short attention span. It's prohibitive to get a developmental QB who has already spent several years with his habits, and now he's older and more expensive than one you can draft and develop.

You simply can't get a developmental QB and not develop him, but expect him to develop himself, then conclude he's the same as last year, draft another developmental QB you don't develop....rinse and repeat.

I'll mention again, Dallas adapted offense to Prescott the 5th round pick, Belichick started Brady out with a rushing offense before letting him pass more and more, and you see QB's coming out of NE with sound fundamentals if ultimately limited by their skill when they end up elsewhere.

That's development and it's coaching impact on player progress.

I can agree with you we don't get the best players at the position. But again, if you get a developmental guy from a spread or air raid, you know he's going to need developing. It's self defeating to not have anyone to develop them.