Thread: Buffalo in the '50s: Jackie Gleason eats at Ted's dogs

Zone's most cruel & vile 2016 Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,053 Times in 6,639 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Buffalo in the '50s: Jackie Gleason eats at Ted's dogs

The 50's had to be awesome.

You could eat and drink and smoke as much as you wanted without having a clue how it was ravaging your innards, so you weren't dorking around with half measures like juice and multi-vitamins and 20 minutes of exercise before your cigarettes, grease and bourbon that eventually only proved to force you to linger on machines barely able to move your eyes and see what you couldn't communicate instead of just dropping with the instant full artery cholesterol collapse going about your business. No one ever knew what hit them.

You didn't know anything about minorities besides what other people told you and could afford to be benevolent and enlightened about your perspectives if you didn't live in Alabama. Everyone you knew was near enough like you so you could afford to measure white ethnic background and be cranky about it (Italians, Germans, Irish, Polish). The US had whaled the bejesus out of just about everyone who thought to argue it a couple times so you knew no foreign enemies would come for your underwear drawer and you'd have clean garments the next morning in case you got hit by a car like your Mom warned you.

And Jackie Gleason stopped at Ted's for pizza and dogs.

He hadn't yet done his best, I loved growing up on Honeymooner's reruns in black and white. The world was much more simple if growing more complex, and I love the idea of Gleason just enjoying his food in Buffalo, looking out at the area and reaching for napkins.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/03/10/bu...ple-teds-dogs/
    Pummeled by Pink, past puerile pap positing Peterman progress, predictable peril pushes past previous precedent, prominently pronounced publicly ! Fickle fate flouts frivolous foresight fanning flames of floom, er, doom !

2. Post thanked by:

Swiper (07-13-2017),ticatfan (09-21-2017),YardRat (03-10-2017)

Avenatti food tester JackJoeJimJosh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,355 Times in 1,593 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Buffalo in the '50s: Jackie Gleason eats at Ted's dogs

Eddie Murphy's gay Ralph was the best.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,273 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    The 50's had to be awesome.

You could eat and drink and smoke as much as you wanted without having a clue how it was ravaging your innards, so you weren't dorking around with half measures like juice and multi-vitamins and 20 minutes of exercise before your cigarettes, grease and bourbon that eventually only proved to force you to linger on machines barely able to move your eyes and see what you couldn't communicate instead of just dropping with the instant full artery cholesterol collapse going about your business. No one ever knew what hit them.

You didn't know anything about minorities besides what other people told you and could afford to be benevolent and enlightened about your perspectives if you didn't live in Alabama. Everyone you knew was near enough like you so you could afford to measure white ethnic background and be cranky about it (Italians, Germans, Irish, Polish). The US had whaled the bejesus out of just about everyone who thought to argue it a couple times so you knew no foreign enemies would come for your underwear drawer and you'd have clean garments the next morning in case you got hit by a car like your Mom warned you.

And Jackie Gleason stopped at Ted's for pizza and dogs.

He hadn't yet done his best, I loved growing up on Honeymooner's reruns in black and white. The world was much more simple if growing more complex, and I love the idea of Gleason just enjoying his food in Buffalo, looking out at the area and reaching for napkins.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/03/10/bu...ple-teds-dogs/
    Huh?
    People seldom drank and ate to excess. Few folks were overweight - those that were tended to be older women.

Attending Bflo public schools K through 12, I can recall but a handful of kids that were "chubby". We had gym in school, we were let outside for lunch, and ran around like kids are supposed to do. We ran, we walked, we biked all the time.

Contrast that to today...go out and help yourself the endless sources that discuss the rise in obesity worldwide, since your self-proclaimed "evil" '50's...

Going to a restaurant was a rarity. The offerings were hot dog stands, local eateries, the odd Deco, or the restaurants that you ate at on the few special equations. We ate sensible meals at home. In my case, the "big" meal was the Sunday afternoon potluck dinner at Church.

You refer to "machines"...the only machines out there were the iron lungs needed for the victims of polio.

Your broad characterization of the Buffalo citizenry as an oblivious bunch of bigots deserves no response.

The US wailed the bejus out of everybody? Like Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan? Evidently, per your lights, America should have turned a deaf ear.

Please stop poisoning young minds with your personal demons.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    Huh?
    People seldom drank and ate to excess. Few folks were overweight - those that were tended to be older women.

Attending Bflo public schools K through 12, I can recall but a handful of kids that were "chubby". We had gym in school, we were let outside for lunch, and ran around like kids are supposed to do. We ran, we walked, we biked all the time.

Contrast that to today...go out and help yourself the endless sources that discuss the rise in obesity worldwide, since your self-proclaimed "evil" '50's...

Going to a restaurant was a rarity. The offerings were hot dog stands, local eateries, the odd Deco, or the restaurants that you ate at on the few special equations. We ate sensible meals at home. In my case, the "big" meal was the Sunday afternoon potluck dinner at Church.

You refer to "machines"...the only machines out there were the iron lungs needed for the victims of polio.

Your broad characterization of the Buffalo citizenry as an oblivious bunch of bigots deserves no response.

The US wailed the bejus out of everybody? Like Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan? Evidently, per your lights, America should have turned a deaf ear.

Please stop poisoning young minds with your personal demons.
    I'm not sure if you have an issue with reading comprehension and perspective, or have a tendency to get into the hard sauce that flips you, but you're on my last nerve.

In the first paragraph alone you misinterpreted "could" as "did", lost the shift in health related machines from past to present, and flew off into a rambling tangent of stupid without relative context. You know better. Get a grip, and that's about the last nice thing I'll say to your bipolar ass if you're stupid enough to lose control of yourself again and blame it on neurological misfortune. Take your pills, or avoid the sauce, or pick fights with people at the Pokemon boards where you might find some compassion for your sudden outbursts of little kid snark.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,273 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I'm not sure if you have an issue with reading comprehension and perspective, or have a tendency to get into the hard sauce that flips you, but you're on my last nerve.

In the first paragraph alone you misinterpreted "could" as "did", lost the shift in health related machines from past to present, and flew off into a rambling tangent of stupid without relative context. You know better. Get a grip, and that's about the last nice thing I'll say to your bipolar ass if you're stupid enough to lose control of yourself again and blame it on neurological misfortune. Take your pills, or avoid the sauce, or pick fights with people at the Pokemon boards where you might find some compassion for your sudden outbursts of little kid snark.
    Your posting pattern continues. It's sadly common. You

Issue statements that you want others to treat as gospel.

Wait for responses that challenge your pronouncements.

Then pull out the knife and attack - your goal. Diddle about syntax, pick in this or that word,then start the personal attacks, look for statements the respondent said in other posts, regurgitate them out of context, and finish up with umbrage and belittlement and insult. Always you in high dudgeon.

But you seldom actually answer the meat of a respondent's post.The actual subject of what that said.

I'd think after a while, you would realize why nobody grabs onto your coattails and supports your choler.

As you vainly proclaim under your avatar..."Zone's most cruel & vile 2016."

Truer words were never spoken.

Change your ways. You have a lot to add to this this site re football. Stop marginalizing yourself with the spewing.
    Last edited by stuckincincy; 07-02-2017 at 11:46 PM.

LETS GO BLUE!
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,390 Times in 7,616 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Mace is one of the best posters here at the zone. By far. You sure you wanna take this look?
    Last edited by JATMtheJATM; 07-10-2017 at 06:41 PM.

8. Post thanked by:

Mace (07-22-2017),Swiper (07-13-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,482 Times in 3,770 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Actually, there was an official contest on this board about who can be the the most effective at insulting another poster head-to-head, or something along those lines. A friendly exercise, from what I understand. Just for fun. People were eliminated by vote, I think.

Mace won.

I did not participate, but after Mace won, I insulted and went after him bad in that thread in the way I imagined the contest went. Much in the same way that someone may challenge the fastest gun in the West....DRAW! Not sure if Mace know that's what my angle was in that thread...it was brief.

But Mace is a great poster. That's the main thing.
    Last edited by feldspar; 07-11-2017 at 10:47 AM.

10. Post thanked by:

JATMtheJATM (07-23-2017),Mace (07-22-2017),Swiper (07-13-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,413 Times in 6,347 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Your posting pattern continues. It's sadly common. You

Issue statements that you want others to treat as gospel.

Wait for responses that challenge your pronouncements.

Then pull out the knife and attack - your goal. Diddle about syntax, pick in this or that word,then start the personal attacks, look for statements the respondent said in other posts, regurgitate them out of context, and finish up with umbrage and belittlement and insult. Always you in high dudgeon.

But you seldom actually answer the meat of a respondent's post.The actual subject of what that said.

I'd think after a while, you would realize why nobody grabs onto your coattails and supports your choler.

Change your ways. You have a lot to add to this this site re football. Stop marginalizing yourself with the spewing.
    Funny thing about you is that you ought to look into the mirror. You just keep becoming a worse and worse poster as every day passes.

Now you stooped to insulting one of the best posters on these boards. Mace gets along with everybody and always has something snappy to add to a discussion.

You, on the other hand, are just a miserable Cincinnatian. Like most of them. Self-loathing Republicans with redneck tendencies living so close to Kentucky.
    Last edited by Swiper; 07-13-2017 at 07:23 PM.

12. Post thanked by:

JATMtheJATM (07-30-2017),Mace (07-22-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I purposely didn't even come back to look at this because I'm dealing with more important issues, but took a moment now.

As I said, you have issues with perspective, context and comprehension, and accountability besides. I'm not going to explain them to you, you sort of learn them when you grow into your big boy pants or never do, and flail about with stupid crap as an adult in diapers. You launched into a bizarre tangent before, and here you go again, another shot to the head, maybe your kid brother was typing, or a mythical girlfriend ?

Doesn't matter to me. Matters to you...take your meds.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    DRAW!
    As if. I won that too.

15. Post thanked by:

JATMtheJATM (07-30-2017)