Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Bills paying three receivers same as 49ers paying Marquise Goodwin

Registered User Wally The Barber's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,257 Times in 735 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Buffalo Bills paying three receivers same as 49ers paying Marquise Goodwin

The 2016 season made it clear — the Buffalo Bills needed to make upgrades to their wide receiver group in 2017, both in the quality and quantity departments. They lost Robert Woods and Marquise Goodwin — starters in 2016 — in free agency, and gained Andre Holmes, Philly Brown, and Jeremy Butler.
    Woods is a fine talent who wasn’t able to consistently produce in Buffalo. Some believe that was mostly on the quarterbacks he had. Others believe it was mainly due to a lack of top-level upside or physical ability. To me, the true culprit of Woods’ unreliability lands somewhere in between those two schools of thought.
    There was almost no doubt Goodwin would sign elsewhere after a four-year stint with the Bills in which he had significant issues staying healthy and developing into a steady target at the intermediate level or on the deep ball.
    Soon after free agency began, Goodwin signed with the San Francisco 49ers. His deal with San Francisco compared to what Buffalo paid for Holmes, Brown, and Butler is fascinating.

San Francisco 49ers
    Marquise Goodwin
    2 years, $6 million
    Average per year: $3 million
    Buffalo Bills
    Andre Holmes
    3 years, $5.15 million
    Average per year: $1.76 million
    Philly Brown
    1 year, $690,000
    Average per year: $690,00

Jeremy Butler
    1 year, $625,000
    Annual per year: $625,000
    Combined annual per year payments of Holmes, Brown, and Butler: $3.08 million
    Buffalo managed to sign three wideouts for the price of Goodwin to sign in San Francisco with the 49ers. With the NFL salary cap now at $167 million, the extra 80,000 for the Bills in this equation is essentially chump change. Also, Goodwin has $2 million in incentives that are reportedly “very much in reach.”
    There are some things to keep in mind. Butler and Brown are on one-year contracts. Also, the 49ers went into free agency with a ridiculous amount of cap space, so there’s an argument out there that they kinda-sorta had to spend big. Although there’s also a logical argument that frivolous spending shouldn’t ever happen, regardless of cap room.
    In his four-year NFL career, Goodwin has appeared in 39 games. He’s caught 49 passes for 780 yards with six touchdowns. That equates to 1.3 receptions and 20 yards receiving per game.
    Over the past four years — in 58 games — with the Raiders, Holmes has 100 grabs, 1,450 yards, and 12 touchdowns, which equals 1.7 catches and 25 receiving yards per outing.
    Brown had 79 receptions for 1,019 yards and seven scores in 43 games over a three-year stretch with the Panthers. That’s 1.7 snags and 23.7 yards per contest.
    Butler is the least experienced and least productive member here but the most efficient. In 12 career NFL games, he has 33 catches and 373 yards. That equates to 2.8 receptions and 31.2 yards per game.
    The Bills had a decent amount of money to spend in free agency, and there’s no doubting their shrewd way they counteracted Goodwin’s departure.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017...rquise-goodwin
    Beware of Sarcasm

Without me it's just Awe so The King's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,748 Times in 1,830 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Buffalo Bills paying three receivers same as 49ers paying Marquise Goodwin

Time will tell if this means anything. Goodwin was certainly progressing, but his hands were still that of a mid-level college receiver. It wont be hard for any of these guys to surpass his production but the speed factor surely forced defenses to account for Goodwin. With these scrubs most coaches will just let their scrubs cover them until they prove they can do anything.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,469 Times in 7,086 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Pegula is cheap

Thanks
    Thanked 5,934 Times in 3,490 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I got a bargain! I had dinner at McDonald's!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Goodwin stinks like monkey butt
    Jeremy Cupp

Thanks
    Thanked 5,086 Times in 3,569 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

And all 3 have been more productive players than Marquise Goodwin.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The problem is last year we went into the preseason with arguably better WRs

Little-Hankersin-Boykin
    Philly-Holmes-Butler

Along with having Woods

I do like Philly and Holmes but worry that this is identical to what we rolled with last year

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,490 Times in 9,187 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We win the bargain shopper trophy because we're forced to shop for bargains against a team with 5 times the cap space.

Woo.

9. Post thanked by:

Skooby (03-25-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    We win the bargain shopper trophy because we're forced to shop for bargains against a team with 5 times the cap space.

Woo.
    Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,490 Times in 9,187 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Nah, I'll end up looking stupid for saying it and you can heckle me. It's my gift to you.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Nah, I'll end up looking stupid for saying it and you can heckle me. It's my gift to you.
    My phone does it all the time. If I press enter to put my cursor lower it sometimes will post the reply before I can write on it. I was going to agree with you in part

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,061 Times in 4,265 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

How does a guy who's played like 8 games in 3 years get 3 million a year?

14. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (03-23-2017),Historian (03-23-2017),Turf (03-23-2017)

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,249 Times in 15,411 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Other than that bomb he caught against the Jets on Thursday Night, I honestly don't remember him doing much here...

16. Post thanked by:

Skooby (03-25-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The Bills will be able to, and probably will, get the best WR in the draft. And he'll be far better and cheaper than Woods.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Wally saw this posted elsewhere.

Chris Trapasso
    @ChrisTrapasso

Cost for #Bills to sign Andre Holmes, Philly Brown, and Jeremy Butler = Marquise Goodwin's deal with 49ers. Amazing.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The only thing Bills fans will remember about Marquise Goodwin is that he was hurt more than Roscoe Parish. That, in itself, is a feat. Goodwin ****ing blows and I'm so happy he's off the roster of my favorite team.

20. Post thanked by:

Luisito23 (03-23-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'm honestly shocked that Goodwin got anything besides vet minimum. He's a one trick pony who struggles to stay healthy, I'm baffled how he ended up getting $6 million. Good for him, I'm just glad it wasn't on the Bills.

Holmes might not have the burner speed, but has much better size, has been healthy, can play special teams, and came at roughly half the cost. Seems like the Bills got the much better deal here.

22. Post thanked by:

Luisito23 (03-23-2017)

Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!! Luisito23's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 969 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Thumbs down Re: Buffalo Bills paying three receivers same as 49ers paying Marquise Goodwin

I know right...

Also, what a surprise he stays somewhat healthy on a contract year...
    "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
    ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
    ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
    ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

24. Post thanked by:

elroy16 (03-23-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,633 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Goodwin's effect on a defense is more substantial than all 3 however. His production might be spotty (partly because of misuse) but the D must account for his deep speed threat. John Lynch and Kyle Shannahan know a LITTLE bit about football.

26. Post thanked by:

kishoph (03-25-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mouldsie View Post
    Goodwin's effect on a defense is more substantial than all 3 however. His production might be spotty (partly because of misuse) but the D must account for his deep speed threat. John Lynch and Kyle Shannahan know a LITTLE bit about football.
    Kolby Listenbee is bigger and faster. He can fill the Goodwin role.