Thread: Do You Expect The 2017 Buffalo Bills To Be Better or Worse Than Last Year?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Do You Expect The 2017 Buffalo Bills To Be Better or Worse Than Last Year?

From a head coaching point of view, I expect the Bills to be better.

Sean McDermott is a workaholic. I think his work ethic is going to rub off on his team in a major way. McDermott is known for being the kind of coach that places a heavy emphasis on attention to detail - the little things that win big games, and discipline.

Rex Ryan was anything but a workaholic. His laziness in preparation, lack of attention to detail and his own lack of self discipline was a major reason why the Bills weren't successful under his "players coach," leadership.

On Offense - I think Rick Dennison is a huge upgrade over Anthony Lynn.

Running the football has never been a problem for the Bills. Lynn did a great job with the run game when he took over as OC, but the Bills passing game ranked 30th last year. The coaching staff had a low risk, low reward mentality that Tryod Taylor had to try and make big plays with.

The Bills passing offense ranked 28th in 2015, 18th in 2014 with Orton, 28th in 2013, and 25th in 2012.

Dennison was OC of the Broncos in 2015 and 2016.

In 2015 the Broncos passing offense ranked 14th with a quarterback on his last legs in Manning, and Brock Osweiler starting 7 games.

In 2016 the Broncos passing offense ranked 22nd with basically a "rookie," QB Trevor Siemian starting for the first time in his 2nd year.

Dennison was the OC of the Texans from 2010 - 2013.

In 2010 the Texans passing offense ranked 4th with Matt Shaub at QB.

In 2011 the Texans passing offense ranked 18th.

In 2012 the Texans passing offense ranked 11th.

In 2013 the Texans passing offense ranked 15th with Matt Shaub and Case Keenum splitting 8 games each.

All that said, I expect the Buffalo Bills to have one of the best passing offenses the team has had in many years come 2017.

Dennison's offensive passing system combined with a great running game and a quarterback with something to prove is enticing.

On Defense - You can't get much worse than Rex Ryan's defense the last 2 years.

Going back to a 4-3 is a dream come true for Marcell Dareus. The Bills run defense ranked 29th last year.

McDermott runs a zone coverage secondary. Rex liked to run man coverage.

McDermott's defense is easy to learn, not complicated and confusing like Rex Ryan's.

Don't think, just play football. Players are going to love that.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that the Bills defense will be better in 2017.

So...

A better coach, a better offense, and a better defense bodes well for Bills fans.

Superbowl! No, but I think the Bills are finally on the right track to get there.
    Last edited by BillsImpossible; 03-26-2017 at 07:25 PM.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Do You Expect The 2017 Buffalo Bills To Be Better or Worse Than Last Year?

Q : Do You Expect The 2017 Buffalo Bills To Be Better or Worse Than Last Year?

A : Yes.

3. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (03-26-2017),Dr. Lecter (03-27-2017),El Guapo (03-26-2017),feldspar (03-31-2017),swiper (03-31-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Q : Do You Expect The 2017 Buffalo Bills To Be Better or Worse Than Last Year?

A : Yes.
    There he is! What's up, Mace. Good to see you bud.

5. Post thanked by:

Mace (03-26-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

For better or worse, in sickness and in health, till death do us part....

I do.

- - - Updated - - -

You may kiss Russ Brandon.

7. Post thanked by:

Historian (03-31-2017),Mace (03-26-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,469 Times in 7,086 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

6-10

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

until all the piece's are in place its hard to say.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,564 Times in 2,153 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Yes
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Do you read what you write? Oaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mdcas22 View Post
    until all the piece's are in place its hard to say.
    A large majority of them are. Maybe 2-3 2017 contributors more.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,853 Times in 3,502 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

8-8 is if everything falls into place and their are no lingering issues to Tyrod, Sammy, and Shady. Defense isn't going to be any better next year, plus we have a brutal schedule. Don't expect more than 7-8 wins or you're probably going to take years off of your life. I fully expect a 2-3 win improvement a year later.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think more talent has gone out the door than come in via free agency, so right now any improvement is tied to coaching. I am hopeful, and indeed expect, McDermott can out coach Rex.

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,295 Times in 15,443 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think they will be the most disciplined 6-10 team out there!

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Break out season: 8-8.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jamze132 View Post
    8-8 is if everything falls into place and their are no lingering issues to Tyrod, Sammy, and Shady. Defense isn't going to be any better next year, plus we have a brutal schedule. Don't expect more than 7-8 wins or you're probably going to take years off of your life. I fully expect a 2-3 win improvement a year later.
    Basically every single year people say the schedule looks brutal. Last year the only "sure wins" were against the 49ers and Browns. No one thought they would beat the Cardinals, who were supposed to be super bowl contenders. The Bengals were supposed to be a sure loss.

What I'm trying to say is we don't know how the schedule is going to shake out. It looks tough, but injuries happen, teams who you think will be good are bad, etc.

I definitely think they will improve. They lost some good talent and most notably, the LB corp is a big question mark. McDermott is all about guys playing fast and won't overload them like Rex did, so I think the defense will improve because there won't be so many instances on guys not doing the right thing. Hopefully we'll see Dareus for a full 16 games doing what he does best, forcing the issue and not tying up blockers.

The offense is tough to predict because Tyrod is tough to predict and the WR corp is a big question mark. Shoring up the RT spot might be the most important step they need to take, outside of Tyrod or someone becoming a true franchise QB.

As annoying as it is, I think health will play a big role. I know injuries always happen, but if Dareus, Watkins, McCoy, Kyle, presumably Tyrod, and a few other key guys can stay mostly healthy, that'll help a lot. If that all happens, they could win 10 games with some breaks, most likely they'll be in the 7 to 9 win range again.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,413 Times in 1,995 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by elroy16 View Post
    Basically every single year people say the schedule looks brutal. Last year the only "sure wins" were against the 49ers and Browns. No one thought they would beat the Cardinals, who were supposed to be super bowl contenders. The Bengals were supposed to be a sure loss.

What I'm trying to say is we don't know how the schedule is going to shake out. It looks tough, but injuries happen, teams who you think will be good are bad, etc.

I definitely think they will improve. They lost some good talent and most notably, the LB corp is a big question mark. McDermott is all about guys playing fast and won't overload them like Rex did, so I think the defense will improve because there won't be so many instances on guys not doing the right thing. Hopefully we'll see Dareus for a full 16 games doing what he does best, forcing the issue and not tying up blockers.

The offense is tough to predict because Tyrod is tough to predict and the WR corp is a big question mark. Shoring up the RT spot might be the most important step they need to take, outside of Tyrod or someone becoming a true franchise QB.

As annoying as it is, I think health will play a big role. I know injuries always happen, but if Dareus, Watkins, McCoy, Kyle, presumably Tyrod, and a few other key guys can stay mostly healthy, that'll help a lot. If that all happens, they could win 10 games with some breaks, most likely they'll be in the 7 to 9 win range again.
    I agree that it's hard to know at this point exactly how tough the schedule is, but the fact is we played 4 of the 5 worst teams last year (Browns, 49ers, Jags, and Rams) and we got to play the Pats without Brady or Garappalo. Maybe some teams will be worse than we're expecting, but I think it's highly unlikely that 5 of our opponents finish with a top 6 draft pick next year. Last season's schedule ended up being one of the easiest they've had in a long time.

18. Post thanked by:

elroy16 (03-31-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 749 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Better 9-7, if we don't have injuries to key players.

Defense will be better by default. The Ryans ruined that defense.
    Tyrod is a year more experienced, that has to help.

McDermott over Rex. Again he has to be better by default. He can't possibly be a worse gameday coach.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,943 Times in 3,495 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

we should catch the league by surprise with that new fangled cover 2 D. I like our chances to get to 9 wins.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I agree that it's hard to know at this point exactly how tough the schedule is, but the fact is we played 4 of the 5 worst teams last year (Browns, 49ers, Jags, and Rams) and we got to play the Pats without Brady or Garappalo. Maybe some teams will be worse than we're expecting, but I think it's highly unlikely that 5 of our opponents finish with a top 6 draft pick next year. Last season's schedule ended up being one of the easiest they've had in a long time.

You make a very good point, we're very unlikely to see the Bills face that easy of a schedule again this year.

Part of that strengthens my argument though. The Jags for instance were supposed to be potentially a break out team (as they are seemingly every year) with the additions of Ramsey and Jack and the thought that Bortles was finally going to break out. I don't think the Rams were really picked to be great, but they had a very good D-line and the #1 pick QB. Regardless, you are right.

With that in mind, we might not see a win/loss improvement, but I think the team will look better. I know that doesn't matter to some, but I'd certainly like to see them not be in the bottom five for rushing yards against per game and I'd like to see an improvement in points against per game.

22. Post thanked by:

YardRat (03-31-2017)