Thread: Is The Era of "Elite" NFL Quarterbacks Near Its End?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Is The Era of "Elite" NFL Quarterbacks Near Its End?

Special thanks to TacklingDummy.

Quote Originally Posted by TacklingDummy View Post
    Good teams that consistently make the playoffs (NE,GB,Pitts,Den,Indy,NJG,SS)have one thing in common and bad teams (Buf,Browns,NYJ,Bears,Rams,Tenn) have the same thing in common.

And then there are your average teams (Cincy,Baltimore,Miami, Arizona, Washington, Dallas, Atlanta, KC) who had/have average to slightly above average QBs that have good defenses that may make the playoffs 1 year but don't the next.

Teams are built around the QB. Without one you are the Bills. With a average one, you are the Bengals. With a great one, you are the Steelers/Patriots/Packers.
    Ben, Brady, Rodgers, and Brees are great.

They are the last of the remaining "elite," NFL quarterbacks.

What's the NFL going to be like once Roethlisberger, Brady, Brees and Rodgers retire?

Derek Carr has the potential to be great.

http://www.nfl.com/player/derekcarr/2543499/profile

Would you call Andrew Luck an "elite," NFL QB?

http://www.nfl.com/player/andrewluck...31/careerstats

He's good, but I wouldn't call Luck elite.

Drew Brees is an elite NFL QB, but the Saints are not perennial playoff contenders.

http://www.nfl.com/player/drewbrees/2504775/careerstats

Those are some gaudy numbers. One would think with that kind of elite level of QB play for the Saints they'd be like the Patriots, Steelers and Packers.

So much emphasis is placed upon the QB in the NFL - "Most important position in all of sports," people say.

Is that really true today in the NFL?

Eli Manning, Russell Wilson, and Joe Flacco aren't elite, but they do have Super Bowl rings.

2. Post thanked by:

Mace (04-23-2017),TacklingDummy (04-23-2017)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Is The Era of "Elite" NFL Quarterbacks Near Its End?

Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post
    So much emphasis is placed upon the QB in the NFL - "Most important position in all of sports," people say.

Is that really true today in the NFL?
    It's just as true but will provide less dynasty dominance. QB stats and ratings will go down but the ones with better QB play, or solidly built and maintained teams will get steady wins.

4. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (04-24-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Have been thinking this for a while. Personally have thought Manning and Brady were on the elite tier, and haven't really seen anyone else join them. Though I'd say Rodgers is close, if not there. Brees has failed to make the playoffs at least once, even in a weak division. Steelers have a very good team around Roethlisberger, and have always been built around their defense.

Carr intrigues me, and Luck is very good, but I've been saying the notion of elite QB's is dying in the NFL for several years.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

6. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (04-24-2017),Mace (04-24-2017),TacklingDummy (04-26-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by psubills62 View Post
    Have been thinking this for a while. Personally have thought Manning and Brady were on the elite tier, and haven't really seen anyone else join them. Though I'd say Rodgers is close, if not there. Brees has failed to make the playoffs at least once, even in a weak division. Steelers have a very good team around Roethlisberger, and have always been built around their defense.

Carr intrigues me, and Luck is very good, but I've been saying the notion of elite QB's is dying in the NFL for several years.
    Ben's got 2 more seasons in him at most. "Big Ben" has gotten his bell rung too many times.

Brady says he wants to play for another 7 or 8 seasons, but I think 3 at most would be beyond lucky.

Brees is without question a future HoF inductee. He just turned 38 years old in January, but his age did not prevent him from throwing for 5,208 yards in 2016.

The Saints defense got seriously f'd up by Rob Ryan. IF the Saints had a defense, Brees wouldn't have to score so many freaking touchdowns.

Brees only had 37 TD's last year.

Elite, HoF QB with no defense = 2 Super Bowl victories. Peyton Manning with the Colts, and Drew Brees.

For every "Elite" quarterback in the NFL with a Super Bowl ring, there are 2 or more non elite quarterbacks with a Super Bowl ring too.

Recently, Flacco and Wilson.
    From the past, Mark Rypien and Jeff Hostetler come to mind. Remember those guys?

They ruined my childhood.
    Last edited by BillsImpossible; 04-24-2017 at 07:50 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,909 Times in 1,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

There was Bradshaw, Tarkenten, Staubach, and Greese, then I remember as the class of 83 was near the end of their careers, all the talking heads said there will never be a group like this. Then there was Farve, Aikman Young and so on. Now we are talking about these guys being the end, no this isn't the end of the elite QB, just the end of this elite group!
    Retired Air Traffic Controller
    USAF VETERAN
    DAV

9. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (04-24-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,633 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Andrew Luck and Marcus Mariota will take the torch.... if they can be protected.