Let's break down the Gilleslie situation....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Let's break down the Gilleslie situation....

The Bills gave Gilleslie the 5th round tender instead of the 2nd round tender because they had mismanaged the cap so badly they couldn't spare $900k in cap room.

The Patriots- a team already so much more talented than us that they just won the SB- has cap room to spare and poached talent from us. True, we saved the cap space and got an extra draft pick but it's only going to go to replace what we lost.

The talent gap once again is altered in their favor. To put things in perspective, this is a backup RB- probably the easiest position to fill on an NFL roster. At the same time, it's a microcosm for everything wrong with this team. Our strongest division rival is more talented than us and has enough cap space that they can troll us over a backup RB. This dysfunctional organization just got *****-slapped by a team that actually knows what they are doing.

Over/Under for Gilleslie's stats in the 2 games he will now play against us: 200 yards and 3 TD's. I'm taking the over.

Remind me again why Doug Whaley and Jim Overdorf still have jobs?
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • Gilly
    Go Sabres!!
    • Sep 2012

Re: Let's break down the Gilleslie situation....

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
    The Bills gave Gilleslie the 5th round tender instead of the 2nd round tender because they had mismanaged the cap so badly they couldn't spare $900k in cap room.

The Patriots- a team already so much more talented than us that they just won the SB- has cap room to spare and poached talent from us. True, we saved the cap space and got an extra draft pick but it's only going to go to replace what we lost.

The talent gap once again is altered in their favor. To put things in perspective, this is a backup RB- probably the easiest position to fill on an NFL roster. At the same time, it's a microcosm for everything wrong with this team. Our strongest division rival is more talented than us and has enough cap space that they can troll us over a backup RB. This dysfunctional organization just got *****-slapped by a team that actually knows what they are doing.

Over/Under for Gilleslie's stats in the 2 games he will now play against us: 200 yards and 3 TD's. I'm taking the over.

Remind me again why Doug Whaley and Jim Overdorf still have jobs?
    Eh, extra pick in this draft and cap space is nice. Gillespie is just another RB.
    I like him a lot but its time for Williams to step up,

“A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness,"

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Gilly View Post
      Eh, extra pick in this draft and cap space is nice. Gillespie is just another RB.
      I like him a lot but its time for Williams to step up,
      uh, all the extra cap space and draft pick will do is replace what we lost. Williams is nice but we will still need a 3rd for when (not if) McCoy gets hurt.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
        Making Spirits Bright
        • Mar 2006

Firing Whaley for the Gillislee situation is like firing the head of Enron for showing up late for work.

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
          Firing Whaley for the Gillislee situation is like firing the head of Enron for showing up late for work.
          Again, it's a microcosm. He's been so bad at managing the talent and the salary cap, which is how we ended up in this situation. This isn't a fireable offense on it's own. The cluster**** of mistakes that got us to this point means a lot of people should be fired for cause.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
            Making Spirits Bright
            • Mar 2006

Again, it's a microcosm. He's been so bad at managing the talent and the salary cap, which is how we ended up in this situation. This isn't a fireable offense on it's own. The cluster**** of mistakes that got us to this point means a lot of people should be fired for cause.
            Feel free to complain about the other dozens of bad decisions Whaley has made, I'm not going to stop you. Complaining about how he handled a backup running back who just became the 15th highest paid running back in 2017 is not going to convince me to get out my pitchfork.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Feel free to complain about the other dozens of bad decisions Whaley has made, I'm not going to stop you. Complaining about how he handled a backup running back who just became the 15th highest paid running back in 2017 is not going to convince me to get out my pitchfork.
              then you're missing the larger picture. If he had handled the talent and the cap and the draft trades properly, this is a non issue. But he didn't, so it is an issue.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Turf
                • Jul 2002

For some reason, Buffalo (we) always luck out with running backs. Looking back at our history, we've rarely lacked at RB through the years. I'm not concerned with RB right now.
                Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                  Making Spirits Bright
                  • Mar 2006

then you're missing the larger picture. If he had handled the talent and the cap and the draft trades properly, this is a non issue. But he didn't, so it is an issue.
                  You should start a thread about the other mishandling of talent, the cap, and trades then. You should begin with players who start for the team, then move to backup positions that matter, then maybe end with backups for positions that are a dime-a-dozen like running backs.

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

You should start a thread about the other mishandling of talent, the cap, and trades then. You should begin with players who start for the team, then move to backup positions that matter, then maybe end with backups for positions that are a dime-a-dozen like running backs.
                    No, I should do exactly what I did and start a thread about a situation that highlights how a team that is already much better than us has more cap space than us and can afford to **** around like this. Your view is very myopic.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Jry44
                      • Apr 2013

No, I should do exactly what I did and start a thread about a situation that highlights how a team that is already much better than us has more cap space than us and can afford to **** around like this. Your view is very myopic.
                      Have you seen how many backs are currently on their roster, and what they're paying them? Is he even a lock to make their roster behind James White, Dion Lewis, and Rex Burkhead who is also making $3 million this year? Cool the jets man. If the belief that RB's are devalued in the league is true ( I do not believe this), then why in the hell would you over pay for a back that most teams would gladly trade for a 5th round pick anyway?

This is only making the waves that it is because it's the Patriots. Everyone gets on their nuts anytime they make a move. People were just saying what a great signing Rex Burkhead was a few months ago! Here's a news flash: they don't always hit on them either! There's a legit chance that we could get Gillislee back on waivers for much less than what NE paid for him.

Given our cap situation, the number of holes on the roster, and the small number of picks we had in the draft this year to fill those holes, tendering Gillislee at a 5th round tender in which we're guaranteed to get a pick back for a guy that was originally picked one pick before the compensation we're receiving for his tender is a no brainer. And it frees up space. This isn't a crushing loss.
                      Last edited by Jry44; 04-24-2017, 11:47 PM.

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Jry44 View Post
                        Have you seen how many backs are currently on their roster, and what they're paying them? Is he even a lock to make their roster behind James White, Dion Lewis, and Rex Burkhead who is also making $3 million this year? Cool the jets man. If the belief that RB's are devalued in the league is true ( I do not believe this), then why in the hell would you over pay for a back that most teams would gladly trade for a 5th round pick anyway?

This is only making the waves that it is because it's the Patriots. Everyone gets on their nuts anytime they make a move. People were just saying what a great signing Rex Burkhead was a few months ago! Here's a news flash: they don't always hit on them either! There's a legit chance that we could get Gillislee back on waivers for much less than what NE paid for him.

Given our cap situation, the number of holes on the roster, and the small number of picks we had in the draft this year to fill those holes, tendering Gillislee at a 5th round tender in which we're guaranteed to get a pick back for a guy that was originally picked one pick before the compensation we're receiving for his tender is a no brainer. And it frees up space. This isn't a crushing loss.
                        Yeah we got an extra pick that we now need to use to replace Gilliesee. That was ****ing brilliant.

Again, myopic view. It's not about a backup running back. It's about the amount of mismanagement it takes for a team already superior to us to have enough cap space to pull this off.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Cali512
                          • Jan 2012

I can't disagree. Gills had about than 1/4th of our offensive TDs last year and showed more big play potential than any player on our team last year. We didn't keep our RB coach, obviously, so how is anyone sure that our new coaches will create another Karlos or Gills? Johnathon Williams looked slow as hell last year and seemed to always go down on first contract. This isn't good, but also not 6.4 million bad, we should of been smarter financially with McCoy, Clay (who I'd cut in a heartbeat if we could), Dareus, and now Hauschka.

Whaley needs to go, now. I am probably the most positive person you will ever meet when it comes to the bills, but holy ****
                          our contracts are ridiculous. Sadly you will see me being the first person ecstatic for every catch clay has, sack dareus has, and 100 yd game McCoy has
                          Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• Oaf
                            Do you read what you write?
                            • Jun 2007

One question, how come we got #164, which was a pick NE was traded instead of #176 NE's original 5th?

Comment

• GingerP
                              • Aug 2012

NE traded their 5th previously. The pick has to be equal or better than their original pick, so the one they received from Denver is what the Bills get.

Comment

Working...
                              X