Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: nate peterman

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: nate peterman

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Cardale finished his degree this spring. Just sayin'...
    From Ohio State? That's like high school for a regular person. Graduating from Ohio State as an athlete? Easier than ordering from Amazon.

2. Post thanked by:

Historian (05-08-2017),swiper (05-08-2017),The last buffalo fan (05-08-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

GREAT video. This kid is the polar opposite of Doug Whaley's QBs.

Tremendous grasp of the Offense, great ability to read and react with precision, and capable of running any play you can draw up.

I'll take that all day long and twice on Sunday.

4. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (05-08-2017),Topas (05-08-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 18,368 Times in 8,981 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    GREAT video. This kid is the polar opposite of Doug Whaley's QBs.

Tremendous grasp of the Offense, great ability to read and react with precision, and capable of running any play you can draw up.

I'll take that all day long and twice on Sunday.
    A smart QB that can read defenses and make tight throws?

I'm still in shock we drafted a guy like that. It's so anti-Buffalo to draft a cerebral precision passer.

I love the pick. May he rise quickly and usurp Tyrod Taylor.

6. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (05-08-2017),BillsImpossible (05-08-2017),justasportsfan (05-08-2017),kishoph (05-09-2017),The last buffalo fan (05-08-2017),WagonCircler (05-08-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,946 Times in 3,498 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ingtar33 View Post
    meh

nothing really wow'ed me when I looked him up. He tucks and runs too fast, and he's not particularly good at it. He doesn't throw well with a guy in his face either, and he gets uncomfortable without a big pocket around him. He feels pressure ok. He's accurate as all heck. But his arm strength isn't there, and it shows. he probably hit his ceiling at pitt. doesn't feel like there is a lot of room to get better to me.

Though to be honest, I probably said the same thing about Brady.
    It's interesting you mention Brady. When he came into the league he pretty much had no deep ball to speak of. Very accurate on short throws and made quick decisions but he'd really wind up to throw deep and he just didn't hit the throws. If you look back at that 2001 season most of his throws were 5 yards or less but he got the ball out in 2 seconds. Gradually he developed a deep throw, his accuracy improved and he developed more arm strength by getting physically stronger. I'm not suggesting Peterman is likely to go down that path but it's possible. As has been pointed out it's better to have the accurate guy that processes defenses quickly than have the big arm without accuracy and that can't read a D. We've kind of covered that route.

When I saw the trade down in the 1st I was like "whoa Doug Whaley ain't running this draft" but the Peterman pick really cemented that thought. If Whaley was in charge we'd be talking about Deshaun Watson in the first and I'd be scanning the web about gardening tips.

8. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (05-08-2017),Historian (05-09-2017),jimmifli (05-08-2017),kishoph (05-09-2017),The last buffalo fan (05-09-2017),Topas (05-09-2017),WagonCircler (05-08-2017)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

From Ohio State? That's like high school for a regular person.
    I picked Ohio St. over Cornell. Must admit I had a lot more fun in Columbus than Ithaca. Go figure.

34 years ago. Seems like yesterday, although my liver may differ..

10. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (05-08-2017),The last buffalo fan (05-09-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,903 Times in 4,023 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Peterman = Fitz, for better or worse.

Gets the ball out quickly,
    Ball is always above the shoulders when he's in the pocket
    scans the field
    every pass thrown with the same velocity, as hard as he can and puts his whole body into each pass. No flicking the ball to a RB or on a short pass
    has the same ability to make that ill advised red zone throw where you say, "What made you think you could get the ball past the DB who was standing in front of your reciever?"

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post
    Peterman = Fitz, for better or worse.

Gets the ball out quickly,
    Ball is always above the shoulders when he's in the pocket
    scans the field
    every pass thrown with the same velocity, as hard as he can and puts his whole body into each pass. No flicking the ball to a RB or on a short pass
    has the same ability to make that ill advised red zone throw where you say, "What made you think you could get the ball past the DB who was standing in front of your reciever?"
    Give the kid a break.

If Peterman starts losing games in the final minutes with an ill-timed fumble or interception, that's when we'll know if he's Fitz 2.0.

Until then, I say the kid WILL be better than Fitz. I do not accept that his ceiling is that low.

13. Post thanked by:

Novacane (05-09-2017),sahlensguy (05-08-2017),WagonCircler (05-08-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,946 Times in 3,498 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMama View Post
    Give the kid a break.

If Peterman starts losing games in the final minutes with an ill-timed fumble or interception, that's when we'll know if he's Fitz 2.0.

Until then, I say the kid WILL be better than Fitz. I do not accept that his ceiling is that low.
    You know what? Nobody knows what he's going to be. Fitz was a pretty damn good player for a street free agent. If you got a solid backup QB out of the 5th round you'd have to be pretty happy with that. Hitting the lottery that Peterman ends up as a competent starter or gasp an elite QB is just stuff we do as Bills fans because...why the hell not stranger things have happened and dammit we deserve a big break we really do. But anything more than competent backup is gravy based on his profile and where he was selected.

15. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (05-08-2017),cookie G (05-08-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,903 Times in 4,023 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMama View Post
    Give the kid a break.

I could never truly hate Fitz, because I knew he was giving it his all and he was trying to win. After 3 years of Trent Edwards...who only cared about his completion percentage.

That's why I said, "for better or worse".

Put in Peterman's V-Tech and Miami games. They're on Youtube in the "Nathan Peterman vs. " section.

V-tech, a minute to go in the first half, close game, he scrambles..and fumbles at the Hokie's 10 yard line. Luckily, his offensive lineman recovered it 10 yards behind him. A little later in the game, still close...scrambles again in V-tech territory, another fumble. He had at least 2 ints dropped in the game. Depending on how the ball was rolling, it could have easily been a 4 turnover game for him.

Against Miami, 3rd Q. still less than 2 tds down. Marches Pitt to inside the 10. Then throws an INT with the db right in front of the receiver.

He's got some Fitz traits in him...a lot of them..both good and bad.

As a 5th rounder, he's not perfect. I don't think people should expect him to be.

17. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (05-09-2017),Topas (05-09-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post
    I could never truly hate Fitz, because I knew he was giving it his all and he was trying to win. After 3 years of Trent Edwards...who only cared about his completion percentage.
    Neither do I. He made the most of his somewhat limited skillset and scored a few paydays out of it. I'm happy for the guy.

I still wear my Fitzmagic shirt from time to time. He was a fun guy to root for, being an undrafted Ivy League egghead.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G
    That's why I said, "for better or worse".

Put in Peterman's V-Tech and Miami games. They're on Youtube in the "Nathan Peterman vs. " section.

V-tech, a minute to go in the first half, close game, he scrambles..and fumbles at the Hokie's 10 yard line. Luckily, his offensive lineman recovered it 10 yards behind him. A little later in the game, still close...scrambles again in V-tech territory, another fumble. He had at least 2 ints dropped in the game. Depending on how the ball was rolling, it could have easily been a 4 turnover game for him.

Against Miami, 3rd Q. still less than 2 tds down. Marches Pitt to inside the 10. Then throws an INT with the db right in front of the receiver.

He's got some Fitz traits in him...a lot of them..both good and bad.

As a 5th rounder, he's not perfect. I don't think people should expect him to be
    I don't expect him to be perfect or a savior.

I just like what I see in him. His TD/INT ratio undermines the Miami and V-Tech games as evidence he's bad at protecting the ball.

Like I said, the only difference in thought here is I believe Peterman's ceiling is higher than Fitz's and I stand by that.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,585 Times in 17,461 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think his name should be Pete Natermen...it just sounds better.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

20. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (05-09-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    I think his name should be Pete Natermen...it just sounds better.
    Name him Dick Peterman, and he could just as easily have gone into a different line of work...

You're grown enough to understand that, right?

Thanks
    Thanked 30,585 Times in 17,461 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Name him Dick Peterman, and he could just as easily have gone into a different line of work...
    You're grown enough to understand that, right?
    Tell your mom I said 'hi'.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Peterman, Peterson or Peter Pan?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

From Ohio State? That's like high school for a regular person. Graduating from Ohio State as an athlete? Easier than ordering from Amazon.
    I believe it was Adolphus Washington who said (when he committed OSU) that it was "impossible to fail" there with the support in place.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    I picked Ohio St. over Cornell. Must admit I had a lot more fun in Columbus than Ithaca. Go figure.

34 years ago. Seems like yesterday, although my liver may differ..
    As a non-scholarship athlete (I'm guessing here), you likely had to actually go to class.

I'm thinking that's not the case for most of the Buckeye football players. (Another educated guess).

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

As a non-scholarship athlete (I'm guessing here), you likely had to actually go to class.

I'm thinking that's not the case for most of the Buckeye football players. (Another educated guess).
    True but they all had tutors and assigned times to spend with them. Earl Bruce was the coach back then and was no nonsense when it came to that.

Who knows what it's like in any program these days with the insane $ in these athletic programs. At least Jones got a degree. Could you see someone like McKelvin getting a degree ? I remember RB Gary Anderson of Arkansas and San Diego stated he never attended a class and couldn't read. Ronnie Harmon of Iowa, who we selected in Round 1 many years back by the Bills said he never went to class and failed everything.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,420 Times in 1,509 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I like the pick, as many here pointed out earlier, that he does not have the #1 criteria of a strong arm for every GM since Donahoe, maybe even earlier. I would prefer intelligence and accuracy on top of my list.

To say that he's a young Brady is also a far reach. Brady was driven, and had it figured out himself, and his arm strength worked out as well. There are many never figured out, and many never get their arm strength to the right level.

I'd this about him. Before he figures out in NFL, he will look really bad. So mental development is #1. If he truly figures out what's going on on Sundays, he can be a starter. But if he wants to take a step further. he'll need to develop his arm strength.

So far in Bills QB draft this century, none of them fully figured it out yet.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It's the rarest skill set on earth.

That's why there are only like 10-12 franchise QBs in the NFL at any given time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 749 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If I had to win a game tomorrow I would take Petermen over EJ and Cardale right now, with never playing in an NFL game.