Thread: Sabres could move AHL farm to Albany...Sabres want upgrades done to B.C.A.

Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie. DetDannyWilliams's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Sabres could move AHL farm to Albany...Sabres want upgrades done to B.C.A.

The Sabres are examining their affiliation with Rochester, and part of their decision to renew will be upgrades to Blue Cross Arena. The sides don’t have a deal for next season.

“We’re going to continue to work with the officials in Rochester,” Brandon, the president of Pegula Sports and Entertainment, said Wednesday. “Obviously, it’s a very important regional element for us. We’ll continue to discuss that when there’s another general manager in place and head coach in place.

"It’s a very important affiliation to the Buffalo Sabres.”

The Sabres and Amerks have a long history as affiliates, linked from 1979 to 2007 and 2011 to the present. The Sabres for years have said the Amerks’ arena needs significant upgrades.

“What we really we want to have,” Brandon said, “is a public-private partnership with the mayor – they’ve been very responsive – with the state, and look at the arena holistically and see what makes sense for us as a business and then from a hockey team standpoint.
    “From a business standpoint, we just want to continue enhance the experience for our fans. As someone who went to college there and went to loads of Amerks games, it’s a very important part of that community. We just want to continue to enhance.”

http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/26/sabres-brandon-want-work-rochester-state-improve-continue-relationship-amerks/

Amid rumblings the Sabres are looking to move their minor-league hockey team out of Rochester, ownership released a statement Wednesday. It didn't deny they have looked at other cities but did reaffirm a commitment to Rochester.
    "Pegula Sports and Entertainment has been engaged in discussions with the hopes of reaching a long-term agreement for the Rochester Americans to compete in an improved facility that meets necessary arena standards," Pegula Sports and Entertainment said. "PSE is exploring all options for the Amerks organization with its primary preference to have the franchise remain a driver in the Rochester community as an anchor in the emerging downtown corridor."

The Sabres have said for several years that Rochester’s Blue Cross Arena at the War Memorial is not suitable for hosting even a preseason NHL game. They moved this year’s scheduled exhibition to Pegula Ice Arena on the Penn State campus.

“Being the largest tenant, we would like to have more control and active discussion in how the dollars that come in are appropriated,” Russ Brandon, president of PSE, told the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle in June. “We’re going to need some changes down the road to ensure viability.
    “There’s exciting plans for the downtown corridor in Rochester, and we want to be a part of it. The arena can be a real beacon for downtown, and right now it’s far from that.”

The American Hockey League has had numerous city swaps in recent years, so the Sabres could find an available city, including Albany, if they chose to leave Rochester.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/03/01/sa...ons-rochester/

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Sabres could move AHL farm to Albany...Sabres want upgrades done to B.C.A.

They had a team affiliation in Portland, Maine for awhile. I have no problem with it.

Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie. DetDannyWilliams's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    They had a team affiliation in Portland, Maine for awhile. I have no problem with it.
    I didn't mind it either... went a couple times to Portland Maine when the Sabres were the farm team of Portalnd Pirates fresh clams, crabs, Lobster with REAL melted butter, Fish caught right out of the ocean and they aren't like fish fry's found around here they are like whales, Scallops and yes even Octopuss yum Yum in Portland, Maine you eat like a king
    Last edited by DetDannyWilliams; 04-30-2017 at 12:12 PM.

Not quite Best in the World.... ckg927's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,487 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I still don't think it's happening.

What Danny seems to forget is this: NO ONE GOES TO HOCKEY GAMES IN ALBANY. They do not give a rat's tuchus about it. The A-Devils were at the bottom of the AHL in attendance for at least a couple of seasons. The ONLY things they care about are college sports(and the Albany area has 2 good college hockey programs in RPI & Union College....plus you have U Albany, Siena, etc.). For God's sake, New Jersey pulled their AHL affil from Albany to Binghamton because NO ONE WENT!

There has been rumblings of the ECHL coming to Albany...but the Adirondack Thunder(based in Glens Falls)would likely have to approve of another team landing in the Capital Region.
    "We've got a lot to cover. The good news is...I've got the time and I ain't going anywhere." -CM Punk, AEW Rampage, 8/20/21

"I see things in black and white and I have a zero tolerance policy for ****ty people." -Jon Moxley, AEW Dynamite, 1/6/21

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Russ Brandon claims he went to a bunch of Americans games when he was there.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 621 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm pretty sure that Pegula owns the Amerks... Moving the affiliation out of Rochester means moving the team. So scratch off any city that already has an AHL team.

But I could be totally FOS.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post
    NO ONE GOES TO HOCKEY GAMES IN ALBANY. They do not give a rat's tuchus about.
    I don't think anyone in the front office cares that much about attendance. Nobody goes to Amerks games in Rochester either. During the NHL strike a drove there a few times. Got the best seats in the house for $10. Couldn't have been more than 700 people at any of the games.

It's really about development. Pegula spent more on the Sabres' dressing room than BCBS arena is worth in total.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,431 Times in 11,989 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    I don't think anyone in the front office cares that much about attendance. Nobody goes to Amerks games in Rochester either. During the NHL strike a drove there a few times. Got the best seats in the house for $10. Couldn't have been more than 700 people at any of the games.

It's really about development. Pegula spent more on the Sabres' dressing room than BCBS arena is worth in total.
    And they aren't developing players well either
    Flag of Ukraine.svg

9. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (05-03-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Pysyk. Then Murray traded him.

Not quite Best in the World.... ckg927's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,487 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post

Noted, but(per HockeyDB.com)the Amerks averaged 5,328/game last season-17th overall in the AHL. Not world-beaters(Hershey & Cleveland were 1-2 in attendance), but not staying away in droves.

Albany? 2,949/game. Binghamton and Utica were next lowest, but their arenas don't seat much.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,431 Times in 11,989 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    Pysyk. Then Murray traded him.
    Dont remind me. Pysyk was quietly a solid dman the sabres needed