Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thanks Doug Whaley......Bills will not get any Comp picks for losing Gilmore, Woods

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Thanks Doug Whaley......Bills will not get any Comp picks for losing Gilmore, Woo

Quote Originally Posted by sudzy View Post
    The point is that a guy like Ryan Davis could cancel out Gilmore. I sure they could have found a street FA as good as Davis wouldn't count. Would we be better off with Ryan Davis or a 3rd round draft choice? Little things like this, are the things New England does better then anyone.
    The Patriots also make trades because they're pretty bad at drafting. One thing I will give them credit is finding reasonably priced guys that they can plug and play into their system. They also aren't afraid to trade talented guys they'd more likely lose as UFAs. Yet honestly without Brady or Belichick I don't think anyone buy into the Patriots philosophy. As those two are easily best at their respective positions and what make the Patriots elite.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Thanks Doug Whaley......Bills will not get any Comp picks for losing Gilmore, Woo

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox24 View Post
    Who cares about comp picks not a big deal to be honest.
    They are a little more valuable now, because they can be traded. Extra late-round picks can come in handy if you want to move up.

Also, they are extra chances, and since the draft is really a lottery they have the potential to pay off big. After all, Tom Brady was selected with a compensatory pick.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
    He seems to realize that pennies add up to dollars and the Bills are always a few games away or a few points from winning important games during the year, so maybe it's time we pick up the change. Bill B doesn't miss much and we need to start looking for an edge versus getting the edge of the blade.
    Who's to say that Mr. Beane and McDermott won't.

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by GingerP View Post
    They are a little more valuable now, because they can be traded. Extra late-round picks can come in handy if you want to move up.

Also, they are extra chances, and since the draft is really a lottery they have the potential to pay off big. After all, Tom Brady was selected with a compensatory pick.
    It sucks that we didn't have a compensatory draft pick until the 7th round in 2000. Can you imagine if the Bills had a chance to draft Tom Brady??

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sudzy View Post
    The point is that a guy like Ryan Davis could cancel out Gilmore. I sure they could have found a street FA as good as Davis wouldn't count. Would we be better off with Ryan Davis or a 3rd round draft choice? Little things like this, are the things New England does better then anyone.
    Ryan Davis does not cancel out Gilmore. The formula is based, among other things, on the contract that the free agent signed. The Bills are paying Davis a lot less than Gilmore, Davis was an undrafted free agent who bounced around the league while Gilmore was a former #1 pick. If each was the only FA signed & lost by the Bills, the Bills would still be getting a comp pick for Gilmore. Below is a good article on comp picks. After you read it, you might understand why Ryan Davis by himself won't cancel out Gilmore.

From article:
    As the NFL explains, compensatory picks are awarded to teams that lose more or better compensatory free agents than they acquire. The number of picks a team can receive equals the net loss of compensatory free agents, up to a maximum of four. Compensatory free agents are determined by a secret formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. Not every free agent lost or signed is covered by the formula.

Although the formula has never been revealed, by studying the compensatory picks that have been awarded since they began in 1994, I’ve determined that the primary factor in the value of the picks awarded is the average annual value of the contract the player signed with his new team, with an adjustment for playing time and a smaller adjustment for postseason honors

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-an...y-draft-picks/
    Last edited by Albany,n.y.; 05-12-2017 at 09:02 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Yes a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally. My point is historically unless it is a third round comp and even those how often do comp picks turn out to be anything. Now that you can trade them they do have more value I understand that. That said I would assume an UFA to have more of an impact than a comp pick.

Until we get a QB and a long time coach and GM who can install their vision and system we will see this pattern.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox24 View Post
    Yes a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally. My point is historically unless it is a third round comp and even those how often do comp picks turn out to be anything. Now that you can trade them they do have more value I understand that. That said I would assume an UFA to have more of an impact than a comp pick.
    They are extra draft picks, and can be valuable because you get extra shots at getting good players. How is that not valuable? There have been a lot of good players who were comp picks, like Brian Dawkins, Hines Ward, Larry Allen, La'Roi Glover, Marques Colston, Matt Hasselbeck, Antoine Bethea, Pierre Garcon, Mike Vrabel, Josh Sitton, Edwin Mulitalo, Yeremiah Bell, etc. The Bills drafted Jonas Jennings with a comp pick. They should always be a consideration in free agency, for a smart team.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
    Ryan Davis does not cancel out Gilmore.

The formula is based, among other things, on the contract that the free agent signed. The Bills are paying Davis a lot less than Gilmore, Davis was an undrafted free agent who bounced around the league while Gilmore was a former #1 pick. If each was the only FA signed & lost by the Bills, the Bills would still be getting a comp pick for Gilmore. Below is a good article on comp picks. After you read it, you might understand why Ryan Davis by himself won't cancel out Gilmore.
    Actual Ryan Davis could cancel out Steppin Gilmore.

The contract of Gilmore is not considered, UNLESS the Bills have a NET loss of FAs.
    By signing Davis, we don't have a NET loss. Therefore Gilmore is cancelled out.

Gilmore's contract would come into play if we signed fewer FAs.

....I know it is a confusing rule. But the thing to remember is contracts, etc. play NO PART unless you sign fewer than you lose.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

They are extra draft picks, and can be valuable because you get extra shots at getting good players. How is that not valuable? There have been a lot of good players who were comp picks, like Brian Dawkins, Hines Ward, Larry Allen, La'Roi Glover, Marques Colston, Matt Hasselbeck, Antoine Bethea, Pierre Garcon, Mike Vrabel, Josh Sitton, Edwin Mulitalo, Yeremiah Bell, etc. The Bills drafted Jonas Jennings with a comp pick. They should always be a consideration in free agency, for a smart team.
    Yes Ginger, good post.

Smart teams at least consider the potential of getting a comp pick when thinking of signing a UFA.

I would definitely take a 3rd round comp pick in next year's draft.

This year some of the 3rd round comp picks were:

Tankersley, Cordrea, CB
    Williams, Chad, WR
    Douglas, Rasul, CB
    Hendrickson, Trey, OLB
    Smith, Jonnu, TE

I would take anyone of those guys. Especially Rasul Douglas, CB West Virginia. I think he has a shot.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Due to roster re-building, courtesy of the latest coaching changes, we probably won't have any comp picks in 2019 either. Once you get a good team put together, then you can start nit-picking about comp picks, until then......

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Today LaGarrette Blount was signed by another team, so the Patriots might get a comp pick for losing him in Free Agency.

This was pure Belicheat. He just recently floated Blount out there under an obscure rule that apparently only Belicheat bothered to read in the rule book.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Just read this somewhere but lost the link.....
    Buffalo
    : They loaded up on low-level CFAs to give them a lost/gained difference of -2–five CFAs lost, seven CFAs gained. Five of those seven signed CFAs (Stephen Hauschka, Patrick DiMarco, Andre Holmes, Vladimir Ducasse and Ryan Harris) are currently projected to be valued as 7th rounders in the compensatory formula. If the Bills cut three of those five players before Week 10 (thus getting positive in their ratio), they would pick up a 3rd round comp pick for Stephon Gilmore. If they cut four of the five, they would also pick up a 4th round comp pick for Robert Woods. Only the Bills can decide for themselves if cutting this many veterans is worth picking up draft picks next year. Buffalo could also get some help if former Bills Justin Hunter, Robert Blanton, and EJ Manuel play a high enough number of non-special teams snaps to qualify for the compensatory formula. However, that’s not a hope they should place in high regard since it’s out of their control.
    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Who the hell is Ryan Harris?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by yordad View Post
    Who the hell is Ryan Harris?
    OL who just retired from the Steelers earlier in the year. Whaley must have signed him so he could retire as a Bill even though he never played for the Bills.