Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eli vs Romo vs Rivers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Eli vs Romo vs Rivers

Who should be in the hall of fame?

And just for bills discussion who would you take right now if all became available

In terms of bringing us to a playoff I would say Romo if healthy, who has accomplished the most is Eli, and who is a HOF talent who just never got a chance based on how bad his team is I'd say Rivers

I feel like these 3 are always bunched together and its interesting to see how people view their careers. It's basically Marino, Kelly, Aikman all over. Montana and Elway are thw Brady and Manning of the past decade. Roethlisberger is the Favre of now in days
    Last edited by Cali512; 05-10-2017 at 03:06 PM.
    Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

2. Post thanked by:

Mouldsie (05-15-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Eli vs Romo vs Rivers

All very good QBs in their prime. None of them HOFers IMO. And who I would take right now? As a Bills fan, beggars shouldn't be choosers. They're all good. But IDK.

Besides it doesn't matter. None of the three are coming here. I think all three are all on the downside of their peak at this point. How serviceable they are? I'll let the 2017 season play out to answer that. Any of them could have a top-ten QB season still.

To me, Manning is particularly perplexing. He has proven so durable. There are time he does look like an All-Pro. Then there are long stretches that he looks just awful. I live in the NYC area and his HOF status is debated on sports radio routinely. Some insist he is. Some insist he isn't. With Eli it always seems to be what have you done for me lately. And the Giants have started thinking about life after Manning already, and publicly so.

It's going to be a strange QB year. Houston starting a guy named Tom Savage. And Colin Kaepernick out of football?
    Last edited by swiper; 05-10-2017 at 03:29 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Colin isn't a football player. He doesn't have the drive to be an elite QB or even solid.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,526 Times in 17,419 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Eli has two rings, he's in.
    Romo has all of the QB records, over Staubach and Aikman, so he'll get in.
    Rivers is Dan Fouts re-incarnated (who also is a HOFer), so he's in too.

Half of the QBs and RBs already inducted don't belong anyhow, there is no use to start getting picky now.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

6. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (05-11-2017),kgun12 (05-11-2017),kishoph (05-11-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,336 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

best QB in that 2004 draft was Roethlisberger.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

8. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (05-11-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Cali512 View Post
    Who should be in the hall of fame?

And just for bills discussion who would you take right now if all became available

In terms of bringing us to a playoff I would say Romo if healthy, who has accomplished the most is Eli, and who is a HOF talent who just never got a chance based on how bad his team is I'd say Rivers

I feel like these 3 are always bunched together and its interesting to see how people view their careers. It's basically Marino, Kelly, Aikman all over. Montana and Elway are thw Brady and Manning of the past decade. Roethlisberger is the Favre of now in days
    Rothlisberger is very good, and a likely HOFer, but he is not Favre. Favre is a three time NFL MVP and has counting stats Big Ben will never touch.

As for the initial question, I don't think Romo makes it to the HOF but Eli and Rivers are good bets to get in.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post

Half of the QBs and RBs already inducted don't belong anyhow, there is no use to start getting picky now.

You seriously underestimate the Hof. Every serious analyst laughs at the idea of Romo being a Hofer even with his stats. Since he never accomplished a thing in the NFL except stats along with single handedly costing them at least 3-4 playoff games/apperances
    Eli is the most intriguing because he I some ways is one of the most accomplished QBs the past 10 years, but statistically has had years of being one of the worst QBs the past ten years.
    Rivers is the most talented QBs of bunch, and has accomplished more than Romo but less than Manning, along with having very obviously worse teams than the other two. I think he has no shot. If Andre Reed took as long as he did, being top 15-20 in most categories, than rivers has no chance.

You have to look at QBs in a harsher light now in days. stats keep rising due to the job of a QB being less physical than ever, along with the job if receivers being deemed untouchable. Put 95% of the QBs now in days (even Brees) most QBs would of sucked in the 90s and below.

The only QBs who would of transitioned well is Brady, Eli, Roethlisberger, and Rivers

Cam, Romo, Brees, Palmer, luck are to soft to of played in the 90s

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by EDS View Post
    Rothlisberger is very good, and a likely HOFer, but he is not Favre. Favre is a three time NFL MVP and has counting stats Big Ben will never touch.

As for the initial question, I don't think Romo makes it to the HOF but Eli and Rivers are good bets to get in.

I don't mean they are the same player, I just mean when you look at success of the teams, I would say Roethlisberger is the favre of the NFL right now. Elite skill set, makes amazing plays, yet also makes dumb plays

I guess Rodgers was a better comparison

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Hall Of Very Good.

HOF ? Not so sure.

13. Post thanked by:

Mace (05-10-2017),Topas (05-11-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 749 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Roeth, Rivers, Eli....in

Sorry Romo. Good but not enough.

Registered User kscdogbillsfan1221's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,897 Times in 2,081 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

ben and rivers pass the 'eyetest' to me.

not eli and definitely not romo. i think of romo like i do of bledsoe for some reason even though their games are different
    I came.
    I saw.
    I conquered.

Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!! Luisito23's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 969 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Thumbs down Re: Eli vs Romo vs Rivers

None should make it.
    "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
    ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
    ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
    ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,895 Times in 4,355 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ingtar33 View Post
    best QB in that 2004 draft was Roethlisberger.
    Losman if he went to Pittsburgh. Buffalo ruined him.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Eli has been clutch in big games when it mattered the the most. He had everything to do with those two Super Bowl runs.

I'd take him over the other two any day of the week, without a doubt.

19. Post thanked by:

Mace (05-10-2017)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,489 Times in 9,186 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Eli has been clutch in big games when it mattered the the most. He had everything to do with those two Super Bowl runs.

I'd take him over the other two any day of the week, without a doubt.
    That's my thought.

All three of them have a history of startling you with the game-on-the-line crumple. I can't really say they make me gnash my teeth on a last minute game winning potential possession because I figure they have a good chance of goofing it up.

But while Eli Manning will often crumple in the regular season, he always appeared to me to become a different QB in the postseason. You remember his goof ups in the regular season, but you know you're not watching that guy anymore.

Eli is the best of them, imho, all three will probably get in with the way it works now, not sure any of them should without rings. But Manning earned those rings and I think he'll go down in memory as a guy who stepped up his game when it counted.
    Last edited by Mace; 05-10-2017 at 11:11 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Rivers is IMO the best of the three. But none should be in the HOF. There are many players at other positions that were better than these three at QB and can never touch the HoF.
    I would put Big Ben probably in. But I think he benefited from loaded Pitts teams. I would even think twice about him.

They others no way. And dont give me the clutch bull****. If tyree does not catch the Ball nobody talks about Eli. Basically he won the lottery twice with very good defensive teams. That does not mean I would ask him for financial advice...

Actually I think Romo is better than Eli. There is some research in the internet that backs up the claim that him not being a clutch player is only hearsay. nonetheless he does not belogng in the Hof IMO.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,747 Times in 987 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post

Eli should be a lock, 2X Super Bowl Champion, 2x Super Bowl MVP.
    Rivers and Romo I'm not so sure they deserve to make it in. Both own a ton of franchise records and have multiple Pro Bowl appearances (for what that's worth) Rivers (6), Romo (4), but neither have have had success in even getting their team to the Super Bowl. Rivers is 4-5 in the post season and Romo is 2-4 in the post season. But as you said many of the players inducted into the HOF don't belong there, so both Rivers and Romo could make it in.
    BTW, Jim Kelly while never winning a Super Bowl, did make it there 4x and also has a winning record of 9-8 in the postseason.
    Last edited by kishoph; 05-11-2017 at 07:01 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

kishop, what is your point?
    You are saying Eli must get in because he has two rings. And Rivers and Romo deserve not because they have no rings.
    But Kelly deserves albeit he has no rings. Why does he deserve? because of the playoff winning record?
    I hate the agrument that wins and super bowsl are a measurement of the quality of the QB. Albeit the QB is definitely the one with the most impact of all players, he still has only lets say 30% impact. The other 70% are the other 52 players or maybe the other starters. So the impact of a QB is still less than half to the teams success.
    Last edited by Topas; 05-11-2017 at 10:09 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Eli is 2-0 in the Super Bowl against one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game. He is inconsistent through his career for sure. But he has been able to do what his HOF brother struggled to do on a yearly bases and beat Brady in big games. If that doesn't make you a Hall of Famer, I don't know what does.

The other two have been good stat QBs but never really been great in big games (playoffs or regular season).

For me, there is only one HOF QBs of the three.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by phil3782 View Post
    Eli is 2-0 in the Super Bowl against one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game. He is inconsistent through his career for sure. But he has been able to do what his HOF brother struggled to do on a yearly bases and beat Brady in big games. If that doesn't make you a Hall of Famer, I don't know what does.

The other two have been good stat QBs but never really been great in big games (playoffs or regular season).

For me, there is only one HOF QBs of the three.
    Football is a team sport. Manning doesn't get into the HOF for having won those two games. The Giants beat the Patriots. It wasn't Manning beat Brady.