Thread: Lehner not going anywhere Botterill says "he has no problem with Lehner going forward

Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie. DetDannyWilliams's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Lehner not going anywhere Botterill says "he has no problem with Lehner going forward

Newly minted Sabres GM Jason Botterill has plenty of work to do this summer, so he’s not going to try and fix things that don’t need fixing.

That’s what Botterill explained on Tuesday, telling Sportsnet he has “no problem” starting next season with Robin Lehner as the club’s starting goalie.

“There are more pressing needs,” Botterill continued. “I liked what I saw from him when he won the Calder Cup.”

Last year was a big one for Lehner. Though overall a disappointment for the Sabres on the whole, there were some positives to be taken — the 25-year-old ‘tender posted career highs in games played (59) and finished with a solid .920 save percentage.

But there’s something to be said for a guy that finished 12th among goalies in save percentage while playing for one of the worst teams in the league. There’s also promise for the future, given Lehner is still reasonably young and responded well to his first full NHL workload.

So Botterill probably won’t explore uprooting his goalie situation, which makes sense. But that doesn’t mean the GM can ignore the position entirely — Lehner is a restricted free agent, and a new deal will need to be struck soon.
    http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/05/17/...buffalos-no-1/
    Last edited by DetDannyWilliams; 05-17-2017 at 05:49 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,289 Times in 13,722 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Lehner not going anywhere Botterill says "he has no problem with Lehner going for

I'm ok with this. I don't get the Lehner hate.

Yeah, he's a head case at times, but so was Ryan Miller. Goalies, pitchers, kickers- they're a rare breed because they're on a team but they're constantly on an island at the same time.

Lehner put up very good numbers on one of the worst team in the league with really only one true top 4 D-man (two at best if you count McCabe but I think he has some developing to do yet). I'd rather see us shore up the D and get some wingers who can play a full 60 minutes, then see how Lehner does. I suspect we'll be happy with the results when he gets a better D in front of him.

3. Post thanked by:

Dr. Lecter (05-18-2017),JATMtheJATM (05-18-2017),WagonCircler (05-18-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 16,493 Times in 12,035 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Lehner not going anywhere Botterill says "he has no problem with Lehner going for

Good. Lehner has proven himself a legit starter, though at times very inconsistent. I'm all for improving the position if you can, but I'm not for shipping him out for no other reason then irrational dislike.

That said, Murray overpaid for him.
    Flag of Ukraine.svg

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I wonder how this, or if it even does, affect how he approaches the Cal Peterson situation.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't mind lehner but he needs a good goaltender coach that can just help him be more consistent. He has moments where he looks like one of the best in the NHL, then hell go through a stretch where its like his head is not in the game.
    Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    I wonder how this, or if it even does, affect how he approaches the Cal Peterson situation.
    That's simple. You tell Petersen the sabres future is his if he develops, you offer him the starting job in Rochester and tell him to go get it. He can't develop any more in Notre Dame

8. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (05-19-2017)

Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie. DetDannyWilliams's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

SHOOTOUTS

10. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (05-19-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    That's simple. You tell Petersen the sabres future is his if he develops, you offer him the starting job in Rochester and tell him to go get it. He can't develop any more in Notre Dame
    I was thinking more in terms of Peterson's viewpoint than the Sabres' approach.

My fear is that he pulls a Jimmy Vesey on us (well, what Vesey pulled on Nashville).

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    I was thinking more in terms of Peterson's viewpoint than the Sabres' approach.

My fear is that he pulls a Jimmy Vesey on us (well, what Vesey pulled on Nashville).
    he had a really good relationship with murray. so from that standpoint, we're starting from scratch.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,914 Times in 5,306 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    I'm ok with this. I don't get the Lehner hate.

Yeah, he's a head case at times, but so was Ryan Miller. Goalies, pitchers, kickers- they're a rare breed because they're on a team but they're constantly on an island at the same time.

Lehner put up very good numbers on one of the worst team in the league with really only one true top 4 D-man (two at best if you count McCabe but I think he has some developing to do yet). I'd rather see us shore up the D and get some wingers who can play a full 60 minutes, then see how Lehner does. I suspect we'll be happy with the results when he gets a better D in front of him.
    I've only met one goalie I like.