Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Could the Juice be loose again???

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Could the Juice be loose again???

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    Off field douchebaggery aside, OJ is the best Bill to put on a uniform, IMO.
    Yup. I'm in my late 50's and sat in the stands with family season tickets watching him in his Bills prime (1972-77). Bruce is a close 2nd but O.J. was the best player of his time by a country mile. He was surrounded by a good O Line, an average QB and a poor D. A shame they only had 1 playoff game in his time.

Still, he is presently a scumbag and rotting away his remaining days in jail is fine by me.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,062 Times in 4,266 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    Yup. I'm in my late 50's and sat in the stands with family season tickets watching him in his Bills prime (1972-77). Bruce is a close 2nd but O.J. was the best player of his time by a country mile. He was surrounded by a good O Line, an average QB and a poor D. A shame they only had 1 playoff game in his time.

Still, he is presently a scumbag and rotting away his remaining days in jail is fine by me.
    I'm obviously too young to have seen him, but I've watched several documentaries about his career, and what he did was dominate like no other RB

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm obviously too young to have seen him, but I've watched several documentaries about his career, and what he did was dominate like no other RB
    When he ran it was if he was on air. Cut on a dime. Only other RB that comes close was Barry Sanders.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Agree with this post. I used to watch him at Rich Stadium in his prime years and the crowd would literally stand up when he got the ball on a sweep. It was a powerful image across the NFL.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He was an amazing talent. But he turned out to be a POS of a human being.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    By far the best player to ever wear a Bills uniform.

I guess you witnessed said murders?
    I'd debate that Bruce Smith was better as had a longer career.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    I'd debate that Bruce Smith was better as had a longer career.
    You'd be wrong. And Smith was coked up every single down he played. So there's that.

He and Lawrence Taylor were cut from the same cloth. Take some coke, go out and try and rip somebody's head off.
    Last edited by swiper; 05-25-2017 at 06:51 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You'd be wrong. And Smith was coked up every single down he played. So there's that..
    Hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

In a conversation about OJ and Bruce, you accuse BRUCE of being the one with the coke problem?????????

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Post thanked by:

Dr. Lecter (05-26-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I did a search for the best DEs ever. Bruce Smith was ranked third best on this list, this list and this list. These were the first three I clicked on.

I also did a search for the best RBs ever. O.J. Simpson was ranked fifth best here, 13th best, and 7th best. (These were the first three lists I clicked on.)

Statistically, OJ Simpson performed well but not as well as a player like Barry Sanders. Whereas, Bruce Smith is the NFL's all time sack leader, making it practically impossible for any other DE to edge him out on the basis of stats.

Bruce Smith's career was a jaw-dropping 19 years long. Simpson's career lasted 11 years. Of those 11 years he was relatively ineffective the last three, never rushing for more than 600 yards in a season. Bruce Smith was effective for two years out of his last four, which isn't too shabby for a guy that late into his career. Simpson had five seasons of 1000 or more rushing yards. Bruce Smith had 13 seasons of 10 or more sacks. The more research I did, the more convinced I became that Bruce Smith was the best player ever to don a Bills uniform.
    Last edited by Arm of Harm; 05-25-2017 at 09:33 PM.

11. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (05-25-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Arm of Harm View Post
    I did a search for the best DEs ever. Bruce Smith was ranked third best on this list, this list and this list. These were the first three I clicked on.

I also did a search for the best RBs ever. O.J. Simpson was ranked fifth best here, 13th best, and 7th best. (These were the first three lists I clicked on.)

Statistically, OJ Simpson performed well but not as well as a player like Barry Sanders. Whereas, Bruce Smith is the NFL's all time sack leader, making it practically impossible for any other DE to edge him out on the basis of stats.

Bruce Smith's career was a jaw-dropping 19 years long. Simpson's career lasted 11 years. Of those 11 years he was relatively ineffective the last three, never rushing for more than 600 yards in a season. Bruce Smith was effective for two years out of his last four, which isn't too shabby for a guy that late into his career. Simpson had five seasons of 1000 or more rushing yards. Bruce Smith had 13 seasons of 10 or more sacks. The more research I did, the more convinced I became that Bruce Smith was the best player ever to don a Bills uniform.
    Sorry, but none of this factors in the importance or difficulty of the relative positions.

Quarterback is exponentially more difficult than DE or RB. The Bills greatest player was #12. And it's not even close.

Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,891 Times in 4,183 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    Sorry, but none of this factors in the importance or difficulty of the relative positions.

Quarterback is exponentially more difficult than DE or RB. The Bills greatest player was #12. And it's not even close.
    You think Joe Ferguson was the greatest Bill ever?

14. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (05-26-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You really should do more than just look at rankings on websites.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I see your point. If I was a GM of an expansion team, and if I had to choose between drafting a rookie Jim Kelly or a rookie Bruce Smith, I'd take Kelly. As a general rule, the possession of a franchise QB elevates your football team in a way an elite DE or an elite RB does not. Kelly was certainly the most valuable player ever to wear a Bills uniform.

Steve Tasker was the best gunner ever. Also see this.

If you completely ignore position value, then Steve Tasker was the best Buffalo Bill ever, because he was ranked even higher at his position than Bruce Smith was ranked at his. But if you take position value into account, then Jim Kelly was more valuable than Bruce Smith, because a top-30 all time QB is more valuable than a top-3 all time DE.

That being said, part of me still feels that Bruce Smith was the best Buffalo Bill ever. I realize it's necessary to use selective logic to reach that conclusion. To take position value in account when putting him ahead of Steve Tasker, and to ignore position value when putting him ahead of Jim Kelly. I think the reason this selective logic seems compelling is because I'm lumping all offensive and defensive starters into one big category, and all special teams starters into a different, lower category.

17. Post thanked by:

Generalissimus Gibby (05-26-2017),WagonCircler (05-26-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I see your point. If I was a GM of an expansion team, and if I had to choose between drafting a rookie Jim Kelly or a rookie Bruce Smith, I'd take Kelly. As a general rule, the possession of a franchise QB elevates your football team in a way an elite DE or an elite RB does not. Kelly was certainly the most valuable player ever to wear a Bills uniform.

Steve Tasker was the best gunner ever. Also see this.

If you completely ignore position value, then Steve Tasker was the best Buffalo Bill ever, because he was ranked even higher at his position than Bruce Smith was ranked at his. But if you take position value into account, then Jim Kelly was more valuable than Bruce Smith, because a top-30 all time QB is more valuable than a top-3 all time DE.

That being said, part of me still feels that Bruce Smith was the best Buffalo Bill ever. I realize it's necessary to use selective logic to reach that conclusion. To take position value in account when putting him ahead of Steve Tasker, and to ignore position value when putting him ahead of Jim Kelly. I think the reason this selective logic seems compelling is because I'm lumping all offensive and defensive starters into one big category, and all special teams starters into a different, lower category.
    To me, the question of "Greatest Bill Ever" is really "Most Indispensable Bill Ever". There's no way this team goes to 4 consecutive Super Bowls or 6 AFC Championship games in 6 years without Kelly. Sure, they don't equal that without Bruce either, but without Kelly, they don't even come close.

19. Post thanked by:

Arm of Harm (05-26-2017),Dr. Lecter (05-26-2017),Generalissimus Gibby (05-26-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

To me, the question of "Greatest Bill Ever" is really "Most Indispensable Bill Ever". There's no way this team goes to 4 consecutive Super Bowls or 6 AFC Championship games in 6 years without Kelly. Sure, they don't equal that without Bruce either, but without Kelly, they don't even come close.
    Well, Reich did help lead them to one of the Superbowls, technically.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Well, Reich did help lead them to one of the Superbowls, technically.
    If Reich plays that whole season, there's no way they get to the Super Bowl.

And I like Frank Reich.

22. Post thanked by:

Generalissimus Gibby (05-26-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,943 Times in 3,495 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I guess you witnessed said murders?
    What a stupid stupid thing to say. You obviously don't know much about that trial and why he was found not guilty. The DNA evidence in that case was more conclusive than if a dozen eye witnesses watched OJ in a wet suit slice up Nicole and Ron Goldman. DNA was a relatively new science then and the jury just didn't believe it. OJ's lawyers did a great job and LAPD's racist history and a racist cop on the case was easy pickings for Johnny Cochran to make the whole thing a big set up to get the black man which it was not, that would have required a massive conspiracy and to what end? I expect one day OJ will admit it. Billion to 1 he's innocent. For God's sake they had blood matching Nicole's DNA found on a sock in OJ's bedroom and dozens of other blood drops matching OJ and the victims including in OJ's Bronco. The evidence in this case was more substantial than 99% of the people on death row.

OJ was the greatest RB I ever saw play in person. Amazing combination of speed and power. Take your pick OJ or Jim Brown as to best back ever.

24. Post thanked by:

Arm of Harm (05-26-2017),WagonCircler (05-26-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cody View Post
    What a stupid stupid thing to say. You obviously don't know much about that trial and why he was found not guilty. The DNA evidence in that case was more conclusive than if a dozen eye witnesses watched OJ in a wet suit slice up Nicole and Ron Goldman. DNA was a relatively new science then and the jury just didn't believe it. OJ's lawyers did a great job and LAPD's racist history and a racist cop on the case was easy pickings for Johnny Cochran to make the whole thing a big set up to get the black man which it was not, that would have required a massive conspiracy and to what end? I expect one day OJ will admit it. Billion to 1 he's innocent. For God's sake they had blood matching Nicole's DNA found on a sock in OJ's bedroom and dozens of other blood drops matching OJ and the victims including in OJ's Bronco. The evidence in this case was more substantial than 99% of the people on death row.

OJ was the greatest RB I ever saw play in person. Amazing combination of speed and power. Take your pick OJ or Jim Brown as to best back ever.

Good post. To add to what you've written: O.J. Simpson said (this is a paraphrase, not an exact quote) "I didn't do it. And I want you to understand that before I go any farther. But if I did do it--which, again, I didn't--it was because I loved her too much."

In his book he described what it was like to kill Ronald Goldman and Nicole, and how he was surprised about the quantity of blood. When asked about this, he said something to the effect of, "Well I didn't kill them, so I just imagined myself being surprised by how much blood there was."

The facts and logic clearly indicate he did it. His defense attorney did an excellent job of turning up the emotional temperature in the courtroom. Once the trial became about race relations, instead of about whether he had or hadn't committed murder, he'd won.

26. Post thanked by:

Valerie (05-30-2017)

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,299 Times in 15,447 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Simpson would have had a longer career if they had the micro-surgery then that they have today.

He put Buffalo on the football map.

28. Post thanked by:

YardRat (05-26-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    Simpson would have had a longer career if they had the micro-surgery then that they have today.

He put Buffalo on the football map.
    Thanks. Please explain to them how dominating he was.

- - - Updated - - -

If Reich plays that whole season, there's no way they get to the Super Bowl.

And I like Frank Reich.
    If he's not the backup, there's no way they make it to that super bowl either.