Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Tyrod Taylor Have A "Breakout" Year?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Will Tyrod Taylor Have A "Breakout" Year?

Of course he will.

Why?

Because the 2018 NFL Quarterback draft class will be the most talented and deepest it has been in over a decade.

I'm kind of kidding, but after 17 years of bad luck I'm kind of not kidding.

If Taylor has an excellent season in 2017 and the Bills make the playoffs, kiss that future franchise QB goodbye.

The Bills have 2 draft picks in the first round next year. If the Bills make the playoffs and the Chiefs have another good season, those draft picks will have no relevance in terms of trading up to select a QB.

Why would they trade up? If Taylor has an amazing "Breakout," year with the Bills first playoff appearance since 1999, the Bills aren't drafting a QB in 2018.

A playoff appearance for the Bills in 2017 would mean a huge new contract for Tyrod Taylor.

If Taylor can break the playoff spell, I'm in.

Can Tyrod have a breakout year?

In his first two seasons with Rex Ryan as coach, Tyrod Taylor performed better than expected.

Was Tyrod Taylor limited in the passing game by Ryan's run first mentality?

What would Tyrod Taylor's passing stats look like had Sammy Watkins been 100% healthy in 2015 and 2016?

What would Tyrod Taylor's passing stats look like without the NFL's best running game?

Tyrod Taylor has not had a lot of talent to work with in the passing game. His number 1, 2, and 3 receivers were injured for a large part of the 2015 and 2016 seasons. When Sammy Watkins and Robert Woods did play, they were not 100% healthy.

Goodwin was healthy in 2016, then got a concussion.

With a healthy core of wide receivers to work with under Dennison's offense, Tyrod Taylor could have the kind of "Breakout," year nobody saw coming.

The Bills current stable of horses at the WR position are in alphabetical order to please Nancy Pelosi:

Philly Brown - 5'11 190 lbs, potential starting or backup slot WR.

Jeremy Butler - 6'2 213 lbs, potential backup #2 WR, special teams player or roster cut.

Andre Holmes - 6'4 210 lbs, potential starting #2 WR or red zone receiver or backup #2 WR.

Dezmin Lewis - 6'4 214 lbs, potential red zone receiver or roster cut.

Kolby Listenbee - 6'1 183 lbs, potential starting or backup slot WR, or roster cut.

Zay Jones - 6'2 200 lbs, potential starting #1 WR. If Sammy can't cut the mustard, ZJ is the new #1.

Walter Powell - 6'0 189 lbs, potential backup slot WR or roster cut.

Brandon Reilly - 6'2 200 lbs, Who? 6'2 200 lbs rookie out of Nebraska.

That was fun to watch!

Daikiel Shorts - 6'1 202 lbs, Who? 6'1 202 lbs rookie out of West Virginia.

That was fun to watch!

Rod Streater - 6'3 216 lbs, veteran.

Brandon Tate - 6'1 195 lbs, veteran.

Sammy Watkins - 6'1 211 lbs, veteran. Would be 209 lbs if he shaved that dead cat of a hairdo off of his freaking head to relieve pressure on his foot.

Personally, I think Watkins should sit out a year, let his foot completely heal and then attempt to make a comeback.

He's already got millions in the bank though, and I don't think Sammy Watkins is the kind of player that wants to sacrifice what it takes to be great.

That is one hell of an interesting bunch of talent to work with at the WR position for Tyrod Taylor, Rick Dennison, and Sean McDermott.

IF Tyrod Taylor does have a, "Breakout" season in 2017, who do you think will be his 3 starting wide receivers?

Sammy Watkins
    Zay Jones
    Brandon Reilly

After 6 weeks....

Zay Jones
    Brandon Reilly
    Philly Brown

2. Post thanked by:

Manwiththeplan (05-27-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Will Tyrod Taylor Have A "Breakout" Year?

I'm excited to see what happens with the offense this year. I think we have a coaching staff that can actually game plan the passing game instead of leaving it as an after thought. You can tell by the roster that the wr group is getting bigger as well.
    I also thing this coaching staff is going to get more out of Taylor, I think they will be on top of him when it comes to holding on to the ball to long. I think if he can stay healthy he will have a very productive year.

I would probaby draft a qb anyway...regardless of how Taylor does. But thats slightly dependant on what kinda needs we end up with by next year and how things play out.

Loved the video on brandon Reilly... I hope he can keep that up.

4. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (05-28-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,316 Times in 13,737 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Tyrod is what he is. He regressed last year. He'll only win if he has a spectacular running game and D to take the pressure off. The D won't be there this year. The running game will only be there if he can be good enough to keep opponents from stacking the box.

6. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (05-29-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,866 Times in 3,511 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Running game is going to regress because we failed to keep Gillislee. Jonathan Williams is no Gillislee.

8. Post thanked by:

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We'll know once camp and pre-season move before our eyes. New schemes and how players operate in them.

Predictions/opinions now mean nothing.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Thanks
    Thanked 30,593 Times in 17,467 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Gawd I hope so. Screw the '18 QB class, I want to win now.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

11. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (05-28-2017),BillsImpossible (05-28-2017),kgun12 (05-29-2017),Night Train (05-28-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Losman had a good year. So did Trent Edwards. So did Rob Johnson. (Well, technically a good half year in his case, because Flutie played the other half.) It's certainly possible Tyrod Taylor might have a good year as well. As you pointed out, his doing so would spoil the Bills' draft position, prevent them from drafting one of the top 3 QBs in next year's draft, and potentially cause them to give him a big contract. All of which would be extremely bad for this team, unless Tyrod himself proved to be the long-term answer. Which he isn't.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post
    Of course he will.

Why?

Because the 2018 NFL Quarterback draft class will be the most talented and deepest it has been in over a decade.

I'm kind of kidding, but after 17 years of bad luck I'm kind of not kidding.

If Taylor has an excellent season in 2017 and the Bills make the playoffs, kiss that future franchise QB goodbye.

The Bills have 2 draft picks in the first round next year. If the Bills make the playoffs and the Chiefs have another good season, those draft picks will have no relevance in terms of trading up to select a QB.

Why would they trade up? If Taylor has an amazing "Breakout," year with the Bills first playoff appearance since 1999, the Bills aren't drafting a QB in 2018.

A playoff appearance for the Bills in 2017 would mean a huge new contract for Tyrod Taylor.

If Taylor can break the playoff spell, I'm in.

Can Tyrod have a breakout year?

In his first two seasons with Rex Ryan as coach, Tyrod Taylor performed better than expected.

Was Tyrod Taylor limited in the passing game by Ryan's run first mentality?

What would Tyrod Taylor's passing stats look like had Sammy Watkins been 100% healthy in 2015 and 2016?

What would Tyrod Taylor's passing stats look like without the NFL's best running game?

Tyrod Taylor has not had a lot of talent to work with in the passing game. His number 1, 2, and 3 receivers were injured for a large part of the 2015 and 2016 seasons. When Sammy Watkins and Robert Woods did play, they were not 100% healthy.

Goodwin was healthy in 2016, then got a concussion.

With a healthy core of wide receivers to work with under Dennison's offense, Tyrod Taylor could have the kind of "Breakout," year nobody saw coming.

The Bills current stable of horses at the WR position are in alphabetical order to please Nancy Pelosi:

Philly Brown - 5'11 190 lbs, potential starting or backup slot WR.

Jeremy Butler - 6'2 213 lbs, potential backup #2 WR, special teams player or roster cut.

Andre Holmes - 6'4 210 lbs, potential starting #2 WR or red zone receiver or backup #2 WR.

Dezmin Lewis - 6'4 214 lbs, potential red zone receiver or roster cut.

Kolby Listenbee - 6'1 183 lbs, potential starting or backup slot WR, or roster cut.

Zay Jones - 6'2 200 lbs, potential starting #1 WR. If Sammy can't cut the mustard, ZJ is the new #1.

Walter Powell - 6'0 189 lbs, potential backup slot WR or roster cut.

Brandon Reilly - 6'2 200 lbs, Who? 6'2 200 lbs rookie out of Nebraska.

That was fun to watch!

Daikiel Shorts - 6'1 202 lbs, Who? 6'1 202 lbs rookie out of West Virginia.

That was fun to watch!

Rod Streater - 6'3 216 lbs, veteran.

Brandon Tate - 6'1 195 lbs, veteran.

Sammy Watkins - 6'1 211 lbs, veteran. Would be 209 lbs if he shaved that dead cat of a hairdo off of his freaking head to relieve pressure on his foot.

Personally, I think Watkins should sit out a year, let his foot completely heal and then attempt to make a comeback.

He's already got millions in the bank though, and I don't think Sammy Watkins is the kind of player that wants to sacrifice what it takes to be great.

That is one hell of an interesting bunch of talent to work with at the WR position for Tyrod Taylor, Rick Dennison, and Sean McDermott.

IF Tyrod Taylor does have a, "Breakout" season in 2017, who do you think will be his 3 starting wide receivers?

Sammy Watkins
    Zay Jones
    Brandon Reilly

After 6 weeks....

Zay Jones
    Brandon Reilly
    Philly Brown
    You're crazy. He sucks

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Gawd I hope so. Screw the '18 QB class, I want to win now.

This

15. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (05-29-2017)

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,926 Times in 4,375 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jamze132 View Post
    Running game is going to regress because we failed to keep Gillislee. Jonathan Williams is no Gillislee.
    Karlos Williams and Mike Gillislee did just as well as the starter, if not better, the past 2 years than the starter. Just more proof it's a dime a dozen position.

17. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (05-29-2017)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TacklingDummy View Post
    Karlos Williams and Mike Gillislee did just as well as the starter, if not better, the past 2 years than the starter. Just more proof it's a dime a dozen position.
    Williams maybe but he ate/bonged his career away.

Gillislee only did well as a change of pace RB with McCoy here. KC game 15 carries - 40 yards. Jets game. 24 carries - 28 yards. He couldn't be the #1 guy with the Bills. Failed. Quit telling me otherwise. I saw it.

19. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (05-28-2017),kgun12 (05-29-2017),Luisito23 (05-28-2017)

Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!! Luisito23's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 969 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Sorry, but to say Gillislee did just as well as the starter is laughable.
    "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
    ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
    ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
    ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

21. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (05-28-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If Taylor does have breakout year, who do you think will be his starting 3 Wide Receivers?

Nobody knows if Sammy Watkins is going to be able to play at 100% Week 1. Will he make it through the season injury free?

If Watkins goes out, who replaces him?

The #2 and #3 WR positions are wide open.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TacklingDummy View Post
    You're crazy

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,030 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Unless he can finally bring a team back from losing at half which I think he has done once out of about a dozen attempts, it doesn't matter what his stats are. Good QB's find a way to win.

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,926 Times in 4,375 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Luisito23 View Post
    Sorry, but to say Gillislee did just as well as the starter is laughable.
    And yet he had a better YPC and would have had more TDs with more touches.

26. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I don't typically find myself saying this, but can you please use fewer paragraphs?
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

28. Post thanked by:

jamze132 (05-29-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Tyrod is what he is. He regressed last year. He'll only win if he has a spectacular running game and D to take the pressure off. The D won't be there this year. The running game will only be there if he can be good enough to keep opponents from stacking the box.
    the only reason he regressed is because of the players around him. If he would have the same players as the year before he would have done just as well or better. its like the first year in the snow your yuppie mobile has new tires and it does really well, the next year the tires are worn out and it handles like crap.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I really don't think Tyrod can have a "breakout season". He has certain very good tools but hasn't shown the ability to win a game on his own!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

A breakout from his contract, not of his own choosing.