Thread: Let's talk forwards

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,023 Times in 1,385 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Let's talk forwards

Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    He's 19. It's not like he's 23...
    I understand that but when I look at the hot garbage you have on most of your lines, you would think a top 10 pick would be welcome to learn the pro game. Don't get me wrong, I am all for sending a guy back if he isn't ready, the Jets sent Scheifele back twice and that worked out but Nylander has to be better than pouliot or giergensen. Or is this a slow build? I thought you guys were ready to compete now? If he has skill which made him a top 10 pick, he should be able to play at that level. Are you guys waiting for him to dominate the A? Some guys play better with more skilled players around them and are better suited for the NHL then the AHL. Just my 2 cents but I think he should at least be given the 9 games to see how he has faired.

The only real proven NHL talent you have are Eichel, O'Reilly, Kane, Okposo (but not as good without Johnny T), Pominville. Moulson is extremely questionable. The rest are interchangeable. Althought I do think Reinhart will be a player. But they thought that about his brother too.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Him being 19 shouldn't be a dissuasion from playing him.

He's a talked about, top prospect...not just here in Buffalo talk.

If the Sabres don't go out and get another winger, have him start off the year in the NHL. You're a team who's rebuilding and has to still get the bad contracts off the books. Let him play for a month or two, take some lumps, learn the speed of the NHL game and then evaluate him from there, as well as your overall team situation.

If he's looking like garbage, send him back down for more seasoning. If he's dragging the team down and they look like they could challenge for the 8th seed, send him back down for more seasoning. If he looks like he belongs, regardless of your teams situation, then let him play. At worst he'll be outclassed and outgunned and then you give him another shot a year or two from now.

Besides, if you don't go out and get another forward before the start of the season, who are you playing instead? Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching? At least Nylander will bring some excitement.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,503 Times in 12,043 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    Him being 19 shouldn't be a dissuasion from playing him.

He's a talked about, top prospect...not just here in Buffalo talk.

If the Sabres don't go out and get another winger, have him start off the year in the NHL. You're a team who's rebuilding and has to still get the bad contracts off the books. Let him play for a month or two, take some lumps, learn the speed of the NHL game and then evaluate him from there, as well as your overall team situation.

If he's looking like garbage, send him back down for more seasoning. If he's dragging the team down and they look like they could challenge for the 8th seed, send him back down for more seasoning. If he looks like he belongs, regardless of your teams situation, then let him play. At worst he'll be outclassed and outgunned and then you give him another shot a year or two from now.

Besides, if you don't go out and get another forward before the start of the season, who are you playing instead? Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching? At least Nylander will bring some excitement.
    You also run the risk of ruining his development, something buffalo is known for
    Flag of Ukraine.svg

Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie. DetDannyWilliams's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mightysimi View Post
    I understand that but when I look at the hot garbage you have on most of your lines, you would think a top 10 pick would be welcome to learn the pro game. Don't get me wrong, I am all for sending a guy back if he isn't ready, the Jets sent Scheifele back twice and that worked out but Nylander has to be better than pouliot or giergensen. Or is this a slow build? I thought you guys were ready to compete now? If he has skill which made him a top 10 pick, he should be able to play at that level. Are you guys waiting for him to dominate the A? Some guys play better with more skilled players around them and are better suited for the NHL then the AHL. Just my 2 cents but I think he should at least be given the 9 games to see how he has faired.

The only real proven NHL talent you have are Eichel, O'Reilly, Kane, Okposo (but not as good without Johnny T), Pominville. Moulson is extremely questionable. The rest are interchangeable. Althought I do think Reinhart will be a player. But they thought that about his brother too.
    Reinhart is fine. Took a step back in some ways, but his production was up five points last year in the same ally t of games. 47 points. He's a player

8. Post thanked by:

mightysimi (07-15-2017)

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,292 Times in 15,441 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    Paul also said that Bailey has really built up his upper body too.
    You be the judge...

10. Post thanked by:

Yasgur's Farm (07-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,915 Times in 5,307 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    You be the judge...

Foligno's replacement

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You also run the risk of ruining his development, something buffalo is known for
    I've never agreed with this sentiment. Guys have the mental makeup for the majors, just going broad all sports, or they don't. If they don't, no matter how long you shelter them against substandard competition, they eventually have to be brought up and face superior competition and then wither. Or they turn into guys like Jody Gage who dominate the AHL but are never given any real chance to show their merits in the NHL.

In another post you said Reinhart will be fine. I like the kid. Think he has potential that he hasn't fully realized yet. But maybe Buffalo slowed his development because of rushing him based on your viewpoint maybe he woulda been better served playing for the Amerks for a year or two.

That's the one thing I didn't get about the Penguins this year, they have the former 8th overall pick from the 2012 entry draft. They had a rash of injuries that decimated their defensive corps but instead of playing Derrick Pouliot for an extended time to see what he has and has learned, since he's yo-yo'd from the AHL to NHL, they kept him down in Wilkes-Barre and brought in defensemen from trades instead. He's finally on a one way contract this year, so it's sink or swim time this year.

If you're a guy taken high in the draft it's because you have, or an organization thinks you have, the ability to play on the national level. If that is the case and you get hit with injuries or you have a bunch of hasbeen no namer interchangeable parts, then you should play that player and see if he is what you thought he was when you drafted him.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    I've never agreed with this sentiment. Guys have the mental makeup for the majors, just going broad all sports, or they don't. If they don't, no matter how long you shelter them against substandard competition, they eventually have to be brought up and face superior competition and then wither. Or they turn into guys like Jody Gage who dominate the AHL but are never given any real chance to show their merits in the NHL.

In another post you said Reinhart will be fine. I like the kid. Think he has potential that he hasn't fully realized yet. But maybe Buffalo slowed his development because of rushing him based on your viewpoint maybe he woulda been better served playing for the Amerks for a year or two.

That's the one thing I didn't get about the Penguins this year, they have the former 8th overall pick from the 2012 entry draft. They had a rash of injuries that decimated their defensive corps but instead of playing Derrick Pouliot for an extended time to see what he has and has learned, since he's yo-yo'd from the AHL to NHL, they kept him down in Wilkes-Barre and brought in defensemen from trades instead. He's finally on a one way contract this year, so it's sink or swim time this year.

If you're a guy taken high in the draft it's because you have, or an organization thinks you have, the ability to play on the national level. If that is the case and you get hit with injuries or you have a bunch of hasbeen no namer interchangeable parts, then you should play that player and see if he is what you thought he was when you drafted him.
    Some guys have the raw ability, but lack other skills or tools to make it at the time. That's nylander. Tons kf offensive skill. Not a big kid, still plays the perimeter at times. Can't play defense well yet. He struggled at times in Rochester last year.

There's a reason why 18 and 19 year olds aren't allowed in the AHL in most situations. He still needs to develop properly for that league. Give him another year in Rochester. He needs it. And there's nothing wrong with it

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I am hesitant to put too much effort into expecting anything from the likes of Baptiste, Bailey, Nylander, Fasching, etc. These are low level guys who will remain low level guys. Grigorenko is better than any of them and he fizzled then ran away to Russia.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    I am hesitant to put too much effort into expecting anything from the likes of Baptiste, Bailey, Nylander, Fasching, etc. These are low level guys who will remain low level guys. Grigorenko is better than any of them and he fizzled then ran away to Russia.
    Wait, even nylander? I've read some scouts believe he's the better of the two nylanders. I've even seen some say they thought he was the most skilled player in his draft class.

I mean, who knows about the other guys, but I'd wait on nylander

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'll wait on them all. But most of these type of players don't find their supposed ceilings as Sabres or typically ever in the NHL.

But what the Sabres do is oversell these guys to the fans then we end up with guys like Foligno and Ennis as 2nd line players. They aren't second line players.
    Last edited by swiper; 07-15-2017 at 10:03 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    I'll wait on them all. But most of these type of players don't find their supposed ceilings as Sabres or typically ever in the NHL.

But what the Sabres do is oversell these guys to the fans then we end up with guys like Foligno and Ennis as 2nd line players. They aren't second line players.
    Ennis was till injuries and concussions started popping up. Then he declined so hard

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Nylander will be a player I think. He has too much skill to not be. Saying Grigerinko is better than anyone is a stretch though. He was terrible in Buffalo and terrible in Colorado.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Reinhart is fine. Took a step back in some ways, but his production was up five points last year in the same ally t of games. 47 points. He's a player
    His problem reportedly is hanging with Kane a bit much and floating one too many games. Sabres won't renew him early and shouldn't. Talented but needs to focus.

Prove it.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    His problem reportedly is hanging with Kane a bit much and floating one too many games. Sabres won't renew him early and shouldn't. Talented but needs to focus.

Prove it.
    They said he was a student of the game his rookie year, staying late after every practice. He stopped doing that last year's until the clock incident when he began staying again

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I hope he turns it on, I like him but you have got to hope there is some improvement in year 3

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mightysimi View Post
    I hope he turns it on, I like him but you have got to hope there is some improvement in year 3
    I'm confident