Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Bills named as most likely landing spot for WR Dorial Green Beckham

Registered User Wally The Barber's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,257 Times in 735 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Buffalo Bills named as most likely landing spot for WR Dorial Green Beckham

By Ryan Talbot

talbotrj@yahoo.com

Contributing writer

Wide receiver depth is a concern for the Buffalo Bills.

Buffalo's top three wide receivers entering training camp appear to be Sammy Watkins, Andre Holmes and rookie Zay Jones. Behind the trio is a lot of uncertainty.

The Bills attempted to upgrade the position when they hosted Jeremy Maclin on a free agent visit, but the veteran receiver opted to sign with the Baltimore Ravens. Could the team kick the tires on another free agent receiver?

The Philadelphia Eagles recently released Dorial Green-Beckham and CBS Sports' Sean Wagner-McGough views the Bills are a top landing spot for the receiver. On a list of 15 landing spots for Green-Beckham, the Bills came in at number two on the list.

"Sammy Watkins can't stay healthy, Robert Woods is gone, Zay Jones is a rookie, and Andre Holmes is the definition of meh," said Wagner-McGough. "For as loud as critics of Tyrod Taylor are, critics of the Bills' receiver group should be even louder. The Bills are depending on someone who's appeared in 21 games the past two years and someone who's never played a down of football in the NFL.

DGB isn't dependable. No one will say that. But the Bills should be adding as many bodies as possible. Hopefully, one will emerge as a dependable playmaker to pair alongside Watkins when he's healthy."

In two seasons with the Tennessee Titans and the Eagles, Green-Beckham has caught 68 passes for 941 yards and eight touchdowns. At 24 years old, you can make the argument that the best is yet to come from the 6-foot-5-inch wide receiver.

Considering his upside, the lack of risk involved in signing him and Buffalo's current wide receiver depth, the Bills should at least entertain the idea of signing Green-Beckham

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffal...n-beckham.html
    Beware of Sarcasm

2. Post thanked by:

jlgarsh (07-03-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Buffalo Bills named as most likely landing spot for WR Dorial Green Beckham

Thanks
    Thanked 30,558 Times in 17,442 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Until they sign somebody (if they do at all) they will probably be at the top of the list as a possible landing spot for every receiver that becomes available.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

5. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (07-09-2017),Mace (07-03-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Isn't he a character concern? Doesn't sound like the current regime will be gung-ho.

7. Post thanked by:

Mr. Miyagi (07-04-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by tomz View Post
    Isn't he a character concern? Doesn't sound like the current regime will be gung-ho.
    Long list of off the field issues but that 1 LB of pot sitting on his front seat wasn't his

Loves to play the game but is lazy in practice

Also has problems learning the playbook

Tons of talent though
    Last edited by Wally The Barber; 07-03-2017 at 04:59 PM.

9. Post thanked by:

Mace (07-03-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The Eagles officially released Dorial Green-Beckham on Friday (story here). Here are three reasons why.

1 - DGB was very bad

This is the main reason above all else. It’s really as simple as that.
    DGB wasn’t good enough to stick around. He has ideal size, yes, but he just didn’t play up to his physical ability. His effort was also in question at times ... both on and off the field.
    DGB struggled mightily in spring practices this year. He dropped a lot of passes and constantly got yelled at by new Eagles wide receivers coach Mike Groh. The Eagles gave him plenty of time to show what he can do and it was clear DGB just wasn’t good enough.

A small factor here is that the Eagles save around $500,000 in cap space by cutting him. That’s not a ton (in the NFL world, at least) but it makes the decision to cut him even easier.

2 - The Eagles are high on Marcus Johnson

Adam Caplan, who has good Eagles sources, notes that the team is high on Marcus Johnson.

Wait, who?
    Johnson signed with the Eagles as an undrafted rookie free agent last year. The team was higher on him than you would have expected but then he got hurt in training camp. Johnson was waived and then signed to the practice squad later during the 2016 season.

Now Johnson is back and there’s a real chance he could make Philadelphia’s 53-man roster. The 6-1, 204 pound pass catcher had a good spring. He’s not a star or anything but he could potentially beat out Shelton Gibson if the Eagles only keep six pass catchers. Johnson ran a 4.37 40-yard dash at his pro day so he’s got some speed.
    It seemed noteworthy to me that Johnson was getting some reps with the Eagles first team offense during minicamp earlier this month.
    3 - The Eagles are also high on Mack Hollins

Caplan also notes the Eagles like what they’ve seen out of Hollins. We’ve previously heard a similar report.

Hollins had a good spring as well. He didn’t make a ton of super flashy plays; he was just really consistent and didn’t make many mistakes. Hollins figures to be a key special teams player for the Birds this season and moving forward. It remains to be seen how large his offensive role will be but he figures to get some kind of playing time there.
    Closing the book on DGB

Let’s be honest: DGB’s fate was sealed a long time ago. The Eagles clearly weren’t going to keep him after adding Alshon Jeffery and Torrey Smith in free agency. Philadelphia selecting Hollins and Gibson in the 2017 NFL Draft only further confirmed that.
    The Eagles’ wide receiver picture now looks something like this heading into 2017:
    Alshon Jeffery is the team’s No. 1 wide receiver target.
    Torrey Smith is a veteran contributor who can help stretch the field.
    Jordan Matthews is a solid slot receiver for this team assuming he doesn’t get traded.

Nelson Agholor is still very much a bust but at least he had an encouraging spring.
    Hollins is a special teams guy and role player/backup at receiver.
    That’s five receivers right there. I think the Eagles could keep six with either Johnson or Gibson being the guy. Gibson really struggled during spring practices — he just couldn’t catch the football. So I’d give Johnson the edge right now.
    Trading Matthews would open up another receiver spot, but the Eagles wouldn’t make a deal just so they could do that. With that said, if the Eagles really do like Johnson, perhaps that makes Matthews more expendable.
    There’s still a lot of time left for the Eagles’ wide receiver situation to play out. All we know for sure is that DGB won’t be part of it.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,298 Times in 13,728 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by tomz View Post
    It's July- the season starts in just over 2 months. It's highly unlikely anyone equal or better becomes available.

So do you bring in a guy with character concerns or go with the current talent level? Glad I'm not the one who has to make that call.
    Last edited by OpIv37; 07-03-2017 at 05:04 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    It's July- the season starts in just over 2 months. It's highly unlikely anyone equal orbetter becomes available.

So do you bring in a guy with character concerns or go with the current talent level? Glad I'm not the one who has to make that call.
    Why not, its not like we need to keep him long
    Last edited by Wally The Barber; 07-03-2017 at 05:05 PM.

SpikedLemonade

I like him.

Thanks
    Thanked 18,367 Times in 8,980 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

omg randy moss 2.0

~every ****** in fantasy football I've ever met

15. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (07-16-2017)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Philadelphia hoped to unlock magic with the talented 6-foot-5 Green-Beckham. The wideout owns an impressive size and speed combination, ideal for today's NFL. Yet he's struggled to learn the playbook, has never grown into an NFL route tree and has played painfully slower than game speed.

Awesome. Looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane. A mega dumb Jane at that.

I've HEARD OF HIM !
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    It's July- the season starts in just over 2 months. It's highly unlikely anyone equal or better becomes available.

McDermott has been pretty up front about character being an essential for his team. I'd be pretty surprised if he goes back on it.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,469 Times in 7,086 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    Philadelphia hoped to unlock magic with the talented 6-foot-5 Green-Beckham. The wideout owns an impressive size and speed combination, ideal for today's NFL. Yet he's struggled to learn the playbook, has never grown into an NFL route tree and has played painfully slower than game speed.

I've HEARD OF HIM !
    We had a good route runner in Woods and TT could do anything with him.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Green-Beckham has had 5 years of "upside." Has all the physical talent, can't seem to do much with it. Unless someone in Buffalo has the magic switch that will turn it on for DGB (or unless we're that desperate), I don't see this being a fit.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

Thanks
    Thanked 5,219 Times in 3,688 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by psubills62 View Post
    Green-Beckham has had 5 years of "upside." Has all the physical talent, can't seem to do much with it. Unless someone in Buffalo has the magic switch that will turn it on for DGB (or unless we're that desperate), I don't see this being a fit.
    We don't have much now so high risk and rewards is in play.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post

I've HEARD OF HIM !
    Wally,

Why do you think the new head coach would want to have such a player on the roster? McDermott seems like a guy who values hard work and commitment. And this player seems to have none of that. The new coach has an awful lot on his plate. He doesn't have any time or interest for "projects." And the Bills don't need a WR that badly. Furthermore, if you had given it any forethought, I'm sure there will be at least a dozen WRs better than this guy released in final camp cuts. And, again, PLEASE stop posting articles from Ryan Talbot. He's been called out for posting garbage dozens of time. He's garbage.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

camp fodder at best..enough of this clown....

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    Wally,

Why do you think the new head coach would want to have such a player on the roster? McDermott seems like a guy who values hard work and commitment. And this player seems to have none of that. The new coach has an awful lot on his plate. He doesn't have any time or interest for "projects." And the Bills don't need a WR that badly. Furthermore, if you had given it any forethought, I'm sure there will be at least a dozen WRs better than this guy released in final camp cuts. And, again, PLEASE stop posting articles from Ryan Talbot. He's been called out for posting garbage dozens of time. He's garbage.
    This guy has 1st round talent but he dropped in the draft do to off field issues. He only becomes a project after he makes the team.

Talent vs risk vs reward

Thanks
    Thanked 18,367 Times in 8,980 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Wally WTF is wrong with TBS?

Nobody's there.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,564 Times in 2,153 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

As has been mentioned, the off field baggage is a big issue. He appears to be the antithesis of the kind of player Buffalo seems to want under McDermott. I am intrigued given his physical talent, but if Buffalo brings him in for a physical and interview, he's going to have to hit it out of the park in the interview for McDermott and Beane to want him.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

26. Post thanked by:

Night Train (07-05-2017)