Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who Would You Say Will be THE Better Team '17 -- Sabres, Leafs, TB or Bruins?

SpikedLemonade

Who Would You Say Will be THE Better Team '17 -- Sabres, Leafs, TB or Bruins?

This topic broke out as a discussion a couple of weeks ago and it was very interesting.

So who do you say will have more points at season's end among:

(a) Sabres

(b) Leafs

(c) TB Lightning

(d) Bruins?

Please post which team and why.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,914 Times in 5,306 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Who Would You Say Will be THE Better Team '17 -- Sabres, Leafs, TB or Bruins?

B, C and D are crap shoots for the top spot in the East.

A is a borderline playoff team.

3. Post thanked by:

SpikedLemonade

Re: Who Would You Say Will be THE Better Team '17 -- Sabres, Leafs, TB or Bruins?

Yeah I agree that the Sabres are not in the discussion.

I think the Lightning may take a step back as well.

The Leafs made a HUGE improvement last year but I don't like their defence. No doubt that have the best coach in the division.

The Bruins are evolving quickly. All those 1st and 2nd round draft picks they got for Lucic, Hamilton, etc. were used a few years ago with multiple draft picks in the 1st and 2nd round.

Those prospects are now ready so I expect the bruins to be getting much younger in the next couple of years.

Chara is not really a #1 D on a contending team however at a now $4M per season, he makes a great #2 D that you can still put up against the other team's top line and PK. He just needs to get off the PP and reduce his minutes by 4-6 minutes per game. If you play him that way, he will have plenty left in the play-offs even at his age.

Dumber than the average blonde :-)
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,874 Times in 6,862 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by coastal View Post
    B, C and D are crap shoots for the top spot in the East.

A is a borderline playoff team.
    Stamkos and Callahan will be back ... And you will crap your pants when their record is better than the Sabres :S
    I was banned for calling Yardie a coward, by DB, in a tread about women’s issues happening right now in America. Nothing better than republican men silencing women’s voices, especially in the Buffalo Spin zone!!

6. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

What determines the Lightning is going to be the goalie.

If Sky gets his **** together, we should be pretty strong.

8. Post thanked by:

SpikedLemonade

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie View Post
    Stamkos and Callahan will be back ... And you will crap your pants when their record is better than the Sabres :S
    I agree that the Lightning are much better than the Sabres.

SpikedLemonade

What determines the Lightning is going to be the goalie.

If Sky gets his **** together, we should be pretty strong.
    Is the Lightning defence strong enough?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,337 Times in 2,075 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

as much as I hate the leafs they'll probably be the best team of those 4. I'm not sure how the sabres were even included in that list though
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

12. Post thanked by:

jamze132 (07-24-2017)

SpikedLemonade

Quote Originally Posted by Ingtar33 View Post
    as much as I hate the leafs they'll probably be the best team of those 4. I'm not sure how the sabres were even included in that list though
    It is a Buffalo based forum -- Bills, Sabres, etc.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Leafs should be the top of that list.
    The Sabres will go nowhere as long as Pegula is the owner. He's single-handedly destroyed the team and spirit. So much so that I don't really even care any more.
    ...Rob

The American Dream isn't an SUV and a house in the suburbs;
    it's Don't Tread On Me.

15. Post thanked by:

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by rbochan View Post
    Leafs should be the top of that list.The Sabres will go nowhere as long as Pegula is the owner. He's single-handedly destroyed the team and spirit. So much so that I don't really even care any more.
    Got it, Debbie.

It's about proper leadership running the operation. Both sports teams just did a complete reboot and they get a fair chance to sink or swim. We all realize the failure of past practices by the Pegulas but at least they made an effort to change both teams direction this year.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

SpikedLemonade

Leafs should be the top of that list.
    The Sabres will go nowhere as long as Pegula is the owner. He's single-handedly destroyed the team and spirit. So much so that I don't really even care any more.
    That DP has no idea what he is doing in terms of owning professional sports teams.

Just go "dig another hole" DP.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

All you peeps are gonna be weeping when the Lightning surpass all them

19. Post thanked by:

SpikedLemonade

All you peeps are gonna be weeping when the Lightning surpass all them
    Yeah right.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    *personal insult removed*

It's about proper leadership running the operation. Both sports teams just did a complete reboot and they get a fair chance to sink or swim. We all realize the failure of past practices by the Pegulas but at least they made an effort to change both teams direction this year.
    And last year. And the year before that. And the year before that.... lather, rinse, repeat.

22. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

And last year. And the year before that. And the year before that.... lather, rinse, repeat.
    I understand how you feel.

24. Post thanked by:

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,023 Times in 1,385 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I have to think it is TB as well. They resigned pretty much everyone plus turned Drouin into a top 10 d-man. Vasilevsky is a good goalie and is still young. Hedman is still going to play 25-30 min a game. Then they still have Anton Stralman and Sustr on D while adding Dan Girardi and Chris Kunitz. Baring injuries, I think they make an easy return to the playoffs and in my opinion likely the most points out of the teams mentioned.

26. Post thanked by:

coastal (07-25-2017)

SpikedLemonade

Quote Originally Posted by mightysimi View Post
    I have to think it is TB as well. They resigned pretty much everyone plus turned Drouin into a top 10 d-man. Vasilevsky is a good goalie and is still young. Hedman is still going to play 25-30 min a game. Then they still have Anton Stralman and Sustr on D while adding Dan Girardi and Chris Kunitz. Baring injuries, I think they make an easy return to the playoffs and in my opinion likely the most points out of the teams mentioned.
    So you see the Lightning as being clearly better than the Bruins this year?

Sounds like my Bruins will be surprising some people this year.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SpikedLemonade View Post

Most notably you.

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,023 Times in 1,385 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SpikedLemonade View Post

I do. I think they have more depth on Offence. You have Bergeron, Paternak, Krejci and Marchand. There isn't a lot of proven commodities past them. Backes is good but he will rarely get you more than 20 goals. I am not a fan of your D either. Chara is another year slower, McQuaid and Krug are all right but I would say 3-4 D. Liles, is like 100 and on his 8th team I think and Postma was a Winnipeg cast off that I know all to well. I like Rask as I think he is one of the more underrated goalies in the league. Overall, the only real superstar in the bunch is Marchand. Bergeron does everything good and teams need guys like him to win but he isn't a 70-90 point guy anymore. So based on this, I feel Tampa has more depth at Fwd, more superstars and a little behind in goal. Over the course of a season I think that equates to more points. Baring injuries of course which Tampa hasn't been able to get away from the last little while.

I suppose it also depends on if you can finally get some use out of the 1st rounders you guys have had in the last few drafts. Still my vote is TB.