Thread: It's The Sunday Before Training Camp Begins

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's The Sunday Before Training Camp Begins

Training Camp starts in 4 days. Every summer gets faster.

Good!

I think there will be a noticeable difference between the way the Bills news coaching staff runs their training camp compared to Rex Ryan's approach.

No more learning how to speak Rexanese for the defense. No more tolerance for a lack of discipline.

Coach McD

Sean McDermott starts his NFL Head Coaching career on Thursday evening at St. John Fisher College.

Everyone seems to like this guy, which is highly unusual for a Bill's Head Coaching hire.

How will he handle game time decisions as a head coach? Will he punt from the 36 yard line? I think not.

Everything revolves around the coach of every NFL team.

In a recent interview, Coach McDermott basically said that he owns the drought. 17 years of failure placed on his shoulders, and he said yes, it's his baby now. I liked McDermott before that interview, now I love the guy.

The Bills D loves Coach McD too.

Who Backs Up McCoy?

Joe Banyard, 5'10 221 lbs veteran, Jordan Johnson, 6'1 220 lbs rookie from UB, Cedric O'Neil, 5'10 215 lbs out of? Valdosta!

Jonathan Williams, 6'0 223 lbs from Arkansas.

Number 2 and 3 WR?

Philly Brown, Jeremy Butler, Andre Holmes, Zay Jones, Dezmin Lewis, Walter Powell, Brandon Reilly, Rashad Ross, Daikiel Shorts, Rod Streater, Brandon Tate.

Fullbacks Are Back

Patrick DiMarco, 6'1 237 lbs. Mike Tolbert, 5'9 250 lbs. That's going to hurt.

Backup QB

Yates, Jones, or the rookie Peterman?

I hope to God it's not Yates. He's a career backup in the NFL and will never be a franchise QB. I think the #2 QB position should be held by the player who has the best potential to become a starting quarterback, not a career bench warmer/clipboard holder.

Starting Linebackers

Ragland, Brown, Hodges, Humber, Alexander? About 70% of the time on defense, only 2 linebackers will be on the field. Rotational linebackers?

Top 2 Cornerbacks

Tre' White, Kevon Seymour, Leonard Johnson, Ron Darby? Darby and White are likely to start, who's the nickel back? Johnson played for McDermott in Carolina.

Top 2 Safeties

Anderson, Elston, Gary, Hyde, Powell, Poyer, Sanders?

Hyde and who?

Will the 2017 Buffalo Bills offense or defense improve the most?

2. Post thanked by:

Mace (07-23-2017),YardRat (07-24-2017)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: It's The Sunday Before Training Camp Begins

Can't wait to ***** and moan.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

4. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (07-23-2017),El Guapo (07-24-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,855 Times in 3,504 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Anyone want to place bets on the first significant injury which misses part of the season? Sorry of I come across a little morbid; I'm a Mets fan too...

6. Post thanked by:

Historian (07-24-2017)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

At RB, hoping O'Neal (who seemed to impress at OTA's) can move Jonathan Williams off the roster, though it will upset jimmifli to lose another Williams. J. Williams strikes me as a pro Trent Richardson, no field vision.

I'm not so upset about this bunch of WR's. We're not going to be looking Tyrod slinging 40 times a game, and I'm optimistic a couple of these guys can step up to the WR role in Dennison's offense. Just not too sure Taylor's passing skills will help them any.

I think Yates is the logical backup, Peterman the developmental 3rd string. This isn't a bad thing, as you said he's a career backup, and the backup is meant to salvage games instead of crapshoot with a rookie. Peterman is said to have a head for the game, so he'll be learning. Cardale the trebuchet is off into the sunset, probably to a team that has a real QB coach.

LB/DB's....I think people will see not what they expect. Straight up, the lb corps is feeble. I'm expecting a safety role nickle not a cb nickel, with Humber, Milano, Seymour, or anyone who stands out in camp getting the snaps to back up Hyde/Poyer & Darby/White. If Ragland can't beat out Preston Brown, he'll be flipping in and out on probable rushing downs. Lorenzo will get his snaps, but not in the fulltime role expected. The players better at pursuit and coverage will earn their roles at camp.

I'm not expecting insta-success, I don't see it being a winning year, but my feeling is that we're going to see a genuine foundation of possibility emerge that can properly be built upon for once, via McDermott and the FO they built.

Looking forward to it.

8. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (07-24-2017),jamze132 (07-24-2017),kishoph (07-24-2017)

Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,891 Times in 4,183 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jamze132 View Post
    Anyone want to place bets on the first significant injury which misses part of the season? Sorry of I come across a little morbid; I'm a Mets fan too...
    That would have to be Yordano Ventura, such a ****ing terrible tragedy. The fact that other than April and a slump just before the All Star Break the Royals have been playing good baseball is a wonder. How's that for being morbid? I'm a lifelong Royals fan. I just hope I don't have to wait twelve more years for a playoff spot for the Bills.

10. Post thanked by:

jamze132 (07-24-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,564 Times in 17,446 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Playoffs.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

12. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (07-24-2017)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm going this coming weekend. Will be there Sat. and Sun. morning.

Only 3 days in, so I'll be observing schemes and tempo.

14. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (07-24-2017),YardRat (07-24-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I just find it a wonderful time of year when camp opens! All the BS articles in the local rag will be forgotten as they should be from February through late July.

16. Post thanked by:

YardRat (07-24-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,855 Times in 3,504 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Wonder how Dareus is going to respond to the new coaching style. I think he and Waufle might throw down...

18. Post thanked by:

Mace (07-24-2017)