Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I bought a time machine on Ebay.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,924 Times in 4,182 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I bought a time machine on Ebay.

I jumped forward to January and was amazed to see the Bills had made the playoffs. Unfortunately the time machine broke before I had much chance to look around, and Ebay's dispute resolution system sucks.

Anyways it got me thinking, now that we know the Bills made the playoffs this year, how did it happen?

2. Post thanked by:

Mace (07-25-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,527 Times in 17,420 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: I bought a time machine on Ebay.

The owners voted mid-season to let all 32 teams in the playoffs this year.

- - - Updated - - -

Snarkiness aside, I seriously think it's possible. Highly unlikely...but possible.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

4. Post thanked by:

kishoph (09-16-2017),Lone Stranger (07-30-2017),WagonCircler (07-26-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,289 Times in 13,722 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jimmifli View Post
    I jumped forward to January and was amazed to see the Bills had made the playoffs. Unfortunately the time machine broke before I had much chance to look around, and Ebay's dispute resolution system sucks.

Anyways it got me thinking, now that we know the Bills made the playoffs this year, how did it happen?
    1. Tyrod takes a big step forward
    2. Zay Jones contributes right away
    3. NO SIGNIFICANT INJURIES (or suspensions)- this one's big, and also the least likely to happen
    4. DL has a monster year due to returning to the 4-3, and leads the league in sacks, making life easy for our DB's
    5. Ragland comes in and plays well right away.
    6. Clay finally shows up in games that aren't against Miami
    7. NE has a rash of injuries starting with Brady and their #2 QB so we actually have a shot at the division.

I'd say at least 5 of those 7 things have to happen in order for us to make the playoffs.

6. Post thanked by:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

BillsImpossible (07-30-2017),DraftBoy (07-26-2017),GreedoII (07-26-2017),HHURRICANE (07-29-2017),justasportsfan (07-26-2017),Mace (07-25-2017),swiper (07-26-2017),The King (07-27-2017),The last buffalo fan (07-26-2017),YardRat (07-26-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,891 Times in 4,015 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

After being forced to endure 3 dozen scheme changes in his NFL career, Kyle Williams finally revolted. He told the guys on the field "follow my lead" and lined them in that funky scramble defense Perry Fewell used against the Cowboys.

For the first 5 weeks, McDeadpool led off every press conference with "THAT'S NOT MY DEFENSE!!" But since they haven't given up a TD during all that time, no one really cared when Jerry Hughes held McD's head in a deep fryer for 10 minutes.

They became the first team in NFL history to top 100 sacks for the season and Dack Rambo led the league with 27 ints.

They were also fined a collective $700,000 for looking at Tom Brady the wrong way.

McDeadpool promised changes to the D after the season, saying "it might have been one vision, but it wasn't MY vision".

PS..I just bought a used camera on Ebay to use for the solar eclipse. I wonder if we used the same seller.
    Last edited by cookie G; 07-25-2017 at 08:24 PM.

8. Post thanked by:

coastal (08-06-2017),jimmifli (07-25-2017),Lone Stranger (07-30-2017),Lucidvizion (07-28-2017),The last buffalo fan (07-26-2017)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post

PS..I just bought a used camera on Ebay to use for the solar eclipse. I wonder if we used the same seller.
    cookie (heh, I remember "Lookie, lookie, here comes Cookie),

You can also use binoculars to project the image...just block off one of the barrels with anything opaque.

And...

..."If you're watching the eclipse from the path of totality, you should absolutely remove your eclipse glasses during totality. "In fact, if you keep your filters on during totality, you won't see anything" because they block out almost all light, Fienberg said.

However, if you're watching the partial solar eclipse from other parts of the U.S., you'll need to keep them on the entire time. If you take them off, not only do you risk (severely!) burning your eyes, but you also won't be able to see the eclipse.

"A total solar eclipse is truly spectacular and awesome in the true meaning of the word 'awesome,' whereas a partial solar eclipse could pass unnoticed," Fienberg said.

"Even if you do have a solar filter and watch the sun turn into a thin crescent, it's nowhere near as exciting as a total eclipse, because you miss all the really spectacular phenomena that are associated with totality. It doesn't get dark, you don't see the corona, you don't see bright red prominences of gas jetting off from the edge of the sun. It's just not the same at all."

So get to the path of totality if you can. And whatever you do, don't forget to bring the right kind of eye protection!"...

https://www.space.com/36941-solar-ec...ion-guide.html

I'm about 270 miles from the totality zone, but alas, I'm too frail to attempt such a journey. But you young folks should do so, if you can.

It's something to add to one's "bucket list."
    Last edited by stuckincincy; 07-25-2017 at 09:14 PM.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,490 Times in 9,187 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

McDermott's "lead by example" creates an immediate effect as players show up to run and work out with him in the mornings before practices. "The breakfast club" spearheads a band of brothers bonding that creates a fierce mindset that Rex's street gang ideas could never approach, and the dialogue during the time builds a productive two way communication with a healthy respect for McDermott.

Out from under Wildcat Lee, It so happens Tyrod Taylor does indeed know how to be a pocket passer, having learned from Flacco. It seems they wanted him to look for running lanes, and that was his distraction from passing vision. Dennison is just what the doctor ordered, and frees him to work with a real passing game. Turns out his accuracy is not limited to small ball and occasional long strikes, when he and his receivers get to work the whole range of routes from a clear playbook. The supposedly shaky receiver corps turns out to be a murderers row with anyone capable of seizing a moment, including TE O'Leary supplementing Clay with the position properly used.

This takes nothing from McCoy, DiMarco, Tolbert and the rushing game. With a suddenly formidable passing game to supplement, the rushing game is even better, and red zone drives are not predictable with anything possible. They can bash it in, big play it, or surgically strike. Wow, a complete offense !

Dareus takes to Waufle like Tyson to D'Amato, dominating, Kyle is rejuvenated, Shaq and Hughes are on fire. Forget Tampa-2, Frazier and McDermott concocted a safety nickle version, the db's are all over the place but never outmanned as Brown, Ragland and Hodges seem to be everywhere. Lorenzo in a role always seems to be in the backfield nailing a back or riding a QB to the turf along with the DL. The questionable safeties are not so questionable, Hyde and Poyer thriving as the anchors, Milano even surprising in a tweener role. White at CB doesn't get many INT's, but you don't care because he's a blanket on WR's, Darby sows up big. This D can move, and it hits, and it knows how to tackle.

On ST, Hauschka brings back memories of Steve Christie, who he happened to consult, and doesn't miss in the clutch, and there are clutches. Austin Rehkow took the job from Schmidt and reminds of prime Moorman.

The playoff game is close and down to the wire, the Bills don't win it. But you don't see them hanging their heads. They all walk off together with McDermott, Beane is there, they all carry themselves like men on a mission, eyes fierce for next year. This is only the beginning.

This time, it really is.

11. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (07-30-2017),jimmifli (07-25-2017),Lucidvizion (07-28-2017),OpIv37 (07-26-2017),Skooby (07-30-2017),YardRat (07-26-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,891 Times in 4,015 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    cookie (heh, I remember "Lookie, lookie, here comes Cookie),

You can also use binoculars to project the image...just block off one of the barrels with anything opaque.

And...

..."If you're watching the eclipse from the path of totality, you should absolutely remove your eclipse glasses during totality. "In fact, if you keep your filters on during totality, you won't see anything" because they block out almost all light, Fienberg said.
    We're in the 99.3% partial path, I think...(that's what they said on the news). The totality path begins about 40 miles or so north. Its all rural land so I don't know how bad the traffic will be.

I've already gotten 10 pair of eclipse glasses from American Paper Optics. I've got a sheet of eclipse film from another company on order. That will be for the camera(s).

But that's why I got a cheap camera....

-What I don't know about photgraphy can fill volumes;
    -this one has a 15x optical zoom and a 6X digital zoom
    -I'll make a lens covering with the solar sheet
    -If I screw up and take the solar sheet off too fast during totality, I don't have much invested in the camera.

Or ...I might just sit back and enjoy the show. There are people with far superior photgraphic skills than me who will be capturing it.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

After being forced to endure 3 dozen scheme changes in his NFL career, Kyle Williams finally revolted. He told the guys on the field "follow my lead" and lined them in that funky scramble defense Perry Fewell used against the Cowboys.

For the first 5 weeks, McDeadpool led off every press conference with "THAT'S NOT MY DEFENSE!!" But since they haven't given up a TD during all that time, no one really cared when Jerry Hughes held McD's head in a deep fryer for 10 minutes.

They became the first team in NFL history to top 100 sacks for the season and Dack Rambo led the league with 27 ints.

They were also fined a collective $700,000 for looking at Tom Brady the wrong way.

McDeadpool promised changes to the D after the season, saying "it might have been one vision, but it wasn't MY vision".

You get extra points for using the proper tense.

14. Post thanked by:

cookie G (07-26-2017),Mace (07-26-2017)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We're in the 99.3% partial path, I think...(that's what they said on the news). The totality path begins about 40 miles or so north. Its all rural land so I don't know how bad the traffic will be.

I've already gotten 10 pair of eclipse glasses from American Paper Optics. I've got a sheet of eclipse film from another company on order. That will be for the camera(s).

But that's why I got a cheap camera....

-What I don't know about photgraphy can fill volumes;
    -this one has a 15x optical zoom and a 6X digital zoom
    -I'll make a lens covering with the solar sheet
    -If I screw up and take the solar sheet off too fast during totality, I don't have much invested in the camera.

Or ...I might just sit back and enjoy the show. There are people with far superior photgraphic skills than me who will be capturing it.
    Cookie, since you are 50 miles away from the totality zone, you simply have to drive there. You won't see the glorious features at 99.5%. That 0.5% will wipe out all the features.

There's no show if you're not observing full totality. As you said, there are people who are good photographers who can do a better job. That may well be true, but no recording is ever the same as seeing a total solar eclipse live with your own eyes!
    Last edited by stuckincincy; 07-25-2017 at 11:18 PM.

16. Post thanked by:

cookie G (07-26-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    3. NO SIGNIFICANT INJURIES (or suspensions)- this one's big, and also the least likely to happen
    4. DL has a monster year due to returning to the 4-3, and leads the league in sacks, making life easy for our DB's
    7. NE has a rash of injuries starting when Brady, day drinking on a Saturday afternoon, trips over a sunbathing Giselle, breaking his leg in 3 places, missing the entire season.
    I felt like we needed to dream more specifically.

18. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (07-26-2017),Skooby (07-26-2017),YardRat (07-26-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,218 Times in 3,687 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    I felt like we needed to dream more specifically.
    Just before the first of 2 games against us, then we can take care of business.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Who wouldn't mind tripping over Giselle?

21. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (07-28-2017)

SpikedLemonade

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    Who wouldn't mind tripping over Giselle?
    A moron would.

I don't want trip over Giselle....I want to trip into Giselle.

23. Post thanked by:

Generalissimus Gibby (08-06-2017),The last buffalo fan (07-26-2017)

Lecter's Little Bitch
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    7. NE has a rash of injuries starting with Brady and their #2 QB so we actually have a shot at the division.

I'd say at least 5 of those 7 things have to happen in order for us to make the playoffs.
    I can see Zay Jones contributing, unless you mean 900 yards 8 TDs than maybe not, but between him and Holmes I think they'll make OK #2 numbers.

I think our defense will be back to top half of the league. Talent has always been there, returning to 4-3 will be big. Plus we have Lawson and Ragland returning, as if they have two 1s and two 2s in this year's draft. That'll help a lot.

If the offense can stay as good as last year and the defense improves significantly, I don't see any reason we don't make the playoffs.

25. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (07-30-2017),OpIv37 (07-26-2017),Skooby (07-26-2017),The last buffalo fan (07-26-2017),YardRat (07-26-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,289 Times in 13,722 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
    A moron would.

I don't want trip over Giselle....I want to trip into Giselle.

No thanks. She's been tainted with Tom Brady's demon seed.

27. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (07-30-2017),WagonCircler (07-28-2017),YardRat (07-26-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,420 Times in 1,450 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

January??

This year??

Mathematical failure in the Tardis due to the (Gasp) female doctor?

But to play
    that’s the thing
    shut up and deal
    ~ Jesse May

29. Post thanked by:

Historian (07-27-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Tardis? Mine had a faulty flux capacitor and now some Libyans are trying to kill Shady.

31. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (07-30-2017),Skooby (07-26-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,218 Times in 3,687 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Tardis?
    My Hespic salad has starting growing and is going to eat me now, son of .......

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,242 Times in 15,406 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The NFL players all go out on a fifteen week strike, except for the Bills.

In a seance with Ralph, he encourages his team from the great beyond, to cross the picket line, because, "The teams that had the most guys cross in '82 made the dance!"

Bills win all sixteen...division...conference and SB.

Don Shula asks for an asterisk to be put next to the Bills in the record book.

Simple.

34. Post thanked by:

Skooby (07-27-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightVoice View Post

Mathematical failure in the Tardis...
    YOU'RE a Tardis!