• Nov 2011

Re: Patriots Cuts - Names to watch

Brady, he might be worth looking at

Comment

• Bill Cody
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
      So, let me get this straight... we're gonna close the talent gap between us and the Patriots by signing the guys who weren't good enough to make the Patriots?
      That's not the correct way to think about this. Talent isn't the only thing that will go into their cut calculus, fit, redundancy, health, numbers at other positions. The Patriots maybe more than any team in the league this year will be cutting some guys they'd prefer to keep, good players that can help a lot of teams including ours. It's not a zero sum game. If we improve our roster by whatever means that's a good thing. They are also in a win now mode. You could see some developmental guys like Carr and Hollister available because they just don't have room on a loaded roster. Foster is another interesting guy, they might try to stash him on the PS. We're going to have a lot of churn at the bottom portion of the roster one would hope so yeah the premise of this thread is correct.

Comment

• Bill Cody
        • Sep 2004

I would add Jacoby Brissett to the list. He will play a lot in tonight's game against the Giants and if he struggles he could be cut. NE will have to be ruthless with their roster evaluations this year. Brissett is still a project but I like him a lot more than Cardale (maybe that's saying nothing but Brissett has potential). I would be in favor of signing him if he is cut and he is on the bubble.

Comment

• Swiper
          Legendary Zoner
          • Sep 2010

Why would you want to follow the waiver wire of the one team least likely to make a mistake in cutting a player?

Comment

• Bill Cody
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
            Why would you want to follow the waiver wire of the one team least likely to make a mistake in cutting a player?
            did you read the thread? They will be cutting guys that are good players because they have a wagon. It isn't about them making a "mistake"

Comment

• Goobylal
              • Jan 2004

Brissett sucks. If you want a camp arm, fine. Other than that, pass.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Goobylal View Post
                Disagree

Comment

• Bill Cody
                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Goobylal View Post
                  28-39, 341 yds 4 TD, 1 TD tonight vs NYG

He's still raw but there is some potential there. Certainly much better than keeping a Wenning or a Yates. Anyway he's probably going to be kept after tonight's performance

Comment

• Mouldsie
                    • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Mahdi View Post
                    I see them keeping Gillislee, White and Burkhead.

Lewis cut, Bolden cut and Foster on PS.
                    If they put Foster on the PS I'd sign him to the roster.

Comment

• GingerP
                      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Mouldsie View Post
                      If they put Foster on the PS I'd sign him to the roster.
                      No way they cut Lewis, who is not only a good RB (although an injury concern) but also their primary kick returner. He may even field punts now that Jones is hurt. I think they keep Gillislee, Burkhead, Lewis, White and Develin (Fullback). They then may keep one of Bolden or Foster, or maybe cut both. I think they keep Bolden because of his ST ability and cut Foster. Foster is a guy worth picking up as a 3rd down-type back. He isn't that big, but is shifty and catches the ball well.

Beyond that, the only other guys I think are possible are WR Carr and TE J. Hollister, but both are probably more PS-types at this point. I don't think they were ever thinking of cuttting Brissett, I think they like him and Garapollo is in the last year of his contract. They could cut OT Connor McDermott, but I think he makes it. He may have some potential as a developmental OT.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                        • Mar 2004

If they Cut Brisset, I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a cookie

Comment

• Swiper
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
                          did you read the thread? They will be cutting guys that are good players because they have a wagon. It isn't about them making a "mistake"
                          Austin Carr's potential? Is that what you are talking about? The Patriot roster is no more rife with talent than anyone else's. They just tend to make better coaching decisions on which players to keep. How's Jamie Collins doing in Cleveland?

While Bill Belichick has a spotty drafting record. He's notably better at personnel decisions after he's had a player to evaluate up close in camp. He gets a better chance to see their work ethic, level of dedication and football acumen up close.

Comment

• Swiper
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
                            28-39, 341 yds 4 TD, 1 TD tonight vs NYG

He's still raw but there is some potential there. Certainly much better than keeping a Wenning or a Yates. Anyway he's probably going to be kept after tonight's performance
                            Less potential than Matt Cassell had. And he was the primary QB of an 11-5 season for Belichick. I think you have to stop looking at Belichick's players like you would those on other teams. He has a way of getting things outta chumps that others can't.

I don't often agree with Goobylal, but he's spot on with this point imho.

Comment

• Swiper
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                              Less potential than Matt Cassell had. And he was the primary QB of an 11-5 season for Belichick. I think you have to stop looking at Belichick's players like you would those on other teams. He has a way of getting things outta chumps that others can't.

I don't often agree with Goobylal, but he's spot on with this point imho.
                              And living in Giant country I heard the pre-game discussions with coaching. They felt their first team was set and planned to run mostly bubble players in this game making those stats less impressive.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                                Peterman Sucks!
                                • Mar 2006

Pats cut Gronk.

GO GET HIM!!!!!!!

Oh wait, it was Glenn. Never mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X