Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mr. Dennison

Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Mr. Dennison

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    How is today the fault of Dennison?

The offense is run oriented, because the QB is flat out garbage, so since the running game didn't work, the offense was stagnant. Pretty simple.

Every team in the league should just put 8 in the box, their fastest LB as the spy and dare that QB to make NFL caliber throws - which it should be painfully obvious to everyone on this board and around the league by now that he simply cannot or won't do.
    Our offense was run oriented last year, when teams put 8 in the box we optioned the 8th defender away and still kept running the ball well. We don't do that this year, so this run scheme is essentially garbage, this is why it's Dennison's fault. He can't scheme up the run game like the previous coaches. Not much else to say.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It's hard to call a good game when your QB sucks.

3. Post thanked by:

Mace (09-17-2017),Novacane (09-17-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,924 Times in 4,182 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mynmisoli View Post
    It's hard to call a good game when your QB sucks.
    And yet Anthony Lynn could do it using Greg Roman's plays.

5. Post thanked by:

cookie G (09-17-2017),Mouldsie (09-17-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,391 Times in 7,274 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kingJofNYC View Post
    Seeing as how most teams that are hiring OCs are perennial losers, and perennial losers don't have franchise QBs, then they're risking their "reputation" no matter where they go.

At least Tyrod led two top 10 DVOA offenses.

Really dude? Who gives a **** what he did in college? Should I make a list of run first QB's that had good college stats and flopped in the NFL? Several of them won the heisman. TT will NEVER win in the NFL. Never! Someday maybe you will get it!

Thanks
    Thanked 30,557 Times in 17,441 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

DVOA = 'Yeah, we suck, but let's play with the numbers a little bit to make us feel a little better'.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

8. Post thanked by:

kishoph (09-17-2017),ParanoidAndroid (09-17-2017)

My battery is low and it's getting dark. ParanoidAndroid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,705 Times in 3,424 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post
    When facts don't meet people's preconceived notions and they have nothing else to say...they use that quote

~Cookie G
    Anyone can use a statistic that supports their position while ignoring some obvious truths.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,893 Times in 4,017 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
    Really dude? Who gives a **** what he did in college? Should I make a list of run first QB's that had good college stats and flopped in the NFL? Several of them won the heisman. TT will NEVER win in the NFL. Never! Someday maybe you will get it!
    :)

um...he's talking about a football outsiders stat...

Defensive Value over average

Buffalo was ranked 9th in 2015 and 10th in 2016

DVOA is a method of evaluating teams, units, or players. It takes every single play during the NFL season and compares each one to a league-average baseline based on situation. DVOA measures not just yardage, but yardage towards a first down: Five yards on third-and-4 are worth more than five yards on first-and-10 and much more than five yards on third-and-12. Red zone plays are worth more than other plays. Performance is also adjusted for the quality of the opponent. DVOA is a percentage, so a team with a DVOA of 10.0% is 10 percent better than the average team, and a quarterback with a DVOA of -20.0% is 20 percent worse than the average quarterback. Because DVOA measures scoring, defenses are better when they are negative. For more detail, read below.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/info/methods

11. Post thanked by:

Mouldsie (09-17-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,893 Times in 4,017 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoidAndroid View Post
    Anyone can use a statistic that supports their position while ignoring some obvious truths.
    Let me know when you can refute it.

here's another...this is the first time when Taylor started where the Bills O was shut out of the endzone.

29 games.

13. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (09-17-2017),Mouldsie (09-17-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
    What are you talking about? I never brought up college football, I brought up a Bills stat from the last two seasons, what are you on about?

Try to keep up, you're slower than Tyrod is when scanning the field.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,747 Times in 987 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Seeing as how most teams that are hiring OCs are perennial losers, and perennial losers don't have franchise QBs, then they're risking their "reputation" no matter where they go.

At least Tyrod led two top 10 DVOA offenses.
    Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    DVOA = 'Yeah, we suck, but let's play with the numbers a little bit to make us feel a little better'.
    Buffalo's rushing DVOA was ranked #1 last season, their passing DVOA was ranked 18th. As far as QB's rushing, Taylor's DVOA for rushing was 18th among QB's. So I would have to say that McCoy (#2 RB)/Gillislee (#1 RB) are who led the Bills to a top 10 DVOA, not Tyrod Taylor.

16. Post thanked by:

Arm of Harm (09-17-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 597 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jimmifli View Post
    Top 10 offense with a dumpster fire D. We fixed the D. And broke the O.

How many times do we have to keep doing this? We had a weird kitschy offense that was effective at scoring points, with spare parts, why change? Ego.
    You do know the previous OC took a HC job........we had no choice but to change the offense.
    You can call me streetkings

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by streetkings01 View Post
    You do know the previous OC took a HC job........we had no choice but to change the offense.

Nope. Bills could have hired ALynn. They decided to change their best plays from last year.Sean's staff is WORSE than Rex's on offense.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Tbh, I think I need to see the all 22 this week, before going apesh1t about this loss. I want to see if receivers were getting open or not. The Panthers do have a good D, so I don't want to assume anything just yet.

I will say that the play calling was highly unimpressive, and unimaginative, on Offense.

The O-line at times, was awful. In the run game, I think there's a legitimate case to be made for reverting to last years blocking schemes, as the guys we have, can make those work better. Get rid of Mills, and you might be able to run the zone schemes, and as he's a liability in pass protection anyway, then just the one change may be enough.

Maybe the worst aspect of the Offense, was the apparent lack of adjustments made to it for the 2nd half.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post
    By my count, I saw one misdirection play the whole game...and before the last drive, a single pass attempt over 15 yards. What it lacked in imagination, it made up for it in...nothing.

Do your career a favor, get Eric Wood's copy of last year's playbook and use it.

For THIS team..it worked. Most of the guys are still there...they'll remember it.

And they scored points with it.

Anthony Lynn adopted it last year and it worked for him..he got a HC job out of the deal.

Or, you can continue to put a square peg in a round hole and suffer the fate of Rex Ryan (and you're not getting a color analyst job).

Dump the ego, use what works.
    I've got a better idea. It's not a great idea. But it's better than this. Go get Chan Gailey. He who knew how to mix plays, use misdirection, draw plays and screens. He made CJ Spiller look good!

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoidAndroid View Post
    It doesn't help when your QB runs on 50% of called pass plays.
    It didn't help the QB that the o-line gave him no room in the pocket. The o-line is terrible.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

That same oline finished top 10 in points last year. We have a coaching downgrade on offense.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,924 Times in 4,182 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by streetkings01 View Post
    If I'm the new guy hired to take over a unit that scored a lot of points, I spend a lot of time looking at what worked and try to keep most of that stuff. We had to change who ran it, but there is no rule saying we had overhaul everything.

24. Post thanked by:

cookie G (09-18-2017),Mouldsie (09-17-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,469 Times in 7,086 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Peterman showed in preseason that a lot of plays are missed when TT is on the field.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Our offense was run oriented last year, when teams put 8 in the box we optioned the 8th defender away and still kept running the ball well. We don't do that this year, so this run scheme is essentially garbage, this is why it's Dennison's fault. He can't scheme up the run game like the previous coaches. Not much else to say.
    Dennison's offensive scheme is designed around a QB who's good at passing the ball. Whereas Roman's scheme appears to have been designed around a "running back who can throw" type QB.

I think that the coaching staff was clear from the beginning, that they would do their best to teach the QBs to fit Dennison's scheme.

So you could point to the shortcomings of Dennison's play calling, and that's perfectly fair. But it's also reasonable to point out that the Bills' starting quarterback is not at all a good fit for Dennison's offense. Tyrod is weak in those areas where Dennison's offense most prizes excellence. While I'm not sold on Peterman as the long-term answer, he clearly is a much better fit for Dennison's offense than Tyrod. I don't anticipate a change coming soon. It's difficult to bench a veteran QB, with a two year track record of reasonable accomplishment, in favor of a 5th round rookie. Even when the rookie is better.

27. Post thanked by:

kishoph (09-18-2017),Mace (09-17-2017),Novacane (09-17-2017)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jimmifli View Post
    If I'm the new guy hired to take over a unit that scored a lot of points, I spend a lot of time looking at what worked and try to keep most of that stuff. We had to change who ran it, but there is no rule saying we had overhaul everything.
    Well....Sullivan pointed out today, they scored an avg of 19.6 or something on the road where Taylor struggled. They scored a lot of points against teams when they could run and the teams were susceptible to it. When teams made us pass, and there are too many games where you have to, we weren't any good. Next level teams put up points quick and if you want to be one you have to as well.

Lynn didn't particularly do any better making Taylor pass, and Taylor didn't do any better when he had to.

I don't know if Dennison will work out or not, but he's essentially installing an offense for a future QB to step into. Everyone else will know it. The running game commitment just isn't effective in a shootout, or against good teams who stack the box, you still have to come up with passing plays and yards.

But stick with what works ? Problem is, teams have a year of tape to know how to counter it, and if you're that one dimensional you have a short shelf life. Leading the league in rushing doesn't really take you far though it seems nice.

Win now ! We can't because we have a QB who doesn't seem capable of throwing effectively, though he throws fine for useless percentage.

This team just isn't/wasn't as close as some people want to believe. Would Roman's offense have run all over Carolina ? I really don't think so, they were prepared for a running game.

The offense has to change to get to the next level, and Taylor isn't looking up to the throwing part of it. Not impressed by Dennison's game plan, but not impressed either by who he has to run it.

Scheme to who you have ? I'd always say that's the mark of a great coach. But in this case, I think they mean to install a system because they know who they have isn't going to cut it and will be replaced by a QB ahead. Peterson ? I don't know. But someone who can pass better. That's not Taylor and this obviously isn't the year the eternally hopeful plan comes together. May as well get used to it.

29. Post thanked by:

YardRat (09-18-2017)