Thread: The NFL GAME is doomed!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: The NFL GAME is doomed!

Quote Originally Posted by Wally The Barber View Post
    As for concussions, its time to go back to the good ol days
    Attachment 18034
    I'll put that on before you give me a haircut, old boy.

2. Post thanked by:

Wally The Barber (09-22-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 925 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

No parity. Granted some teams have horrible front offices and are totally inept but the same teams are in it every year with maybe one or two surprise teams. Refs have clear biases and some teams who I won't mention (they're in our division) win with questionable talent and methods while the NFL only pursues fluff charges against them.

4. Post thanked by:

BillsFanCupp38 (09-22-2017),Generalissimus Gibby (09-23-2017),YardRat (09-24-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,914 Times in 5,306 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

At my company's annual meeting last year, we held a dinner in the Dallas Cowboy's practice complex.

it was a marbled cathedral... security was everywhere... only allowed to take pictures in verylimited locations. If you even snuck a phone out, security was on you with someone directing in their ear pieces. On our tour, we were shown their practice locker room. It was in the shape of a football and the most immaculate place you could imagine. Again... no pictures allowed in there. the whole complex is a multi-million dollar fiesta of disproportionality.

All of that... for athletes who were coddled to in HS and college and never asked once to earn it scholastically like the rest of us.

6. Post thanked by:

Historian (09-23-2017)

Dumber than the average blonde :-)
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,874 Times in 6,862 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Coastal asked me to post this pic

I was banned for calling Yardie a coward, by DB, in a tread about women’s issues happening right now in America. Nothing better than republican men silencing women’s voices, especially in the Buffalo Spin zone!!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,914 Times in 5,306 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

One of the pics allowed

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    If the Bills had made the post season four out of those five years and made a Superbowl would you still feel this way?

Every Bills game is exciting because they are my team.

The NFL product is boring. I'd rather watch a college game any day of the week if the Bills aren't involved.

10. Post thanked by:

Generalissimus Gibby (09-23-2017),k-oneputt (09-25-2017),Night Train (09-23-2017)

My IQ Test results came back negative BillsOwnAll's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It's becoming unwatchable, last night for example how can you root for an amazing comeback when you know the refs will eventually mess it up, then they say well they should have made plays earlier and not let it get to that point. But comebacks are
    Part of the game.

And I would love to see a stat on how many punts have penalties it's got to be over 50%. Especially if the returns over 10 yards.

Lastly it's just about a QB now. You know the handful of teams that have a chance to win because there's only a handful of QBs who can win.

The nfl will not be forever. Maybe 20 more years

- - - Updated - - -

Vince McMahon was a little to early with the XFL

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    I heard last nights ratings for the LA-SF game were quite good.

Fantasy football drives ratings.
    Thursday Night games are CABLE TV only ratings.

Per Variety 9-21-17 CABLE HIGHLIGHTS: NFL Network’s THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL fell 0.25 from last week’s game to 2.80.

13. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (09-22-2017)

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,243 Times in 15,407 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by imbondz View Post
    Only a matter of time until football is on the same level as boxing. It’ll become a niche sport. All because of the reasons you all stated above. 100% agree. My wife bought me tickets to the Bills/Atlanta game for my birthday. New stadium, ticket prices were ridiculous. If I never go to a game again I won’t care.
    What did you pay Bondzi?

Just curious to know what tix cost in other markets.

Democrats are people too imbondz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,005 Times in 2,185 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    What did you pay Bondzi?

Just curious to know what tix cost in other markets.
    I’m not sure exactly cuz I was afraid to ask and I haven’t seen the credit card bill yet. I know they were over $100 each. But...my wife knows nothing about football, had no idea where to get seats in the stadium, has never been to an NFL game and wanted to surprise me for my birthday and get as good a seats as possible.

Normally I would not pay that much for a game. I’m fine with nosebleed seats unless it’s a Bills playoff game. lol.

16. Post thanked by:

Historian (09-26-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

College football is exponentially more fun to watch for multiple reasons.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

18. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (09-24-2017),Generalissimus Gibby (09-25-2017),imbondz (09-24-2017),k-oneputt (09-25-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

There are three sets of interests represented: the players, the owners, and the fans. Of the three groups the fans are in the weakest bargaining position. Apparently, the majority of those calling the shots have chosen to regard the fans with an increasingly difficult to conceal cynicism. The NFL and the networks continue making inroads on the things which cause fans to love the game. The overall approach is shallower. Football today is a collection of beer and SUV ads, hype, officiating delays, in-game marketing messages and in-game player branding, etc.

If the NFL wants to retain fans' interest, they need to get back to focusing on football. And they need to move away from all the stuff which has been distracting them from football.

20. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (09-26-2017),kishoph (09-27-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,153 Times in 5,890 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Arm of Harm View Post
    There are three sets of interests represented: the players, the owners, and the fans. Of the three groups the fans are in the weakest bargaining position. Apparently, the majority of those calling the shots have chosen to regard the fans with an increasingly difficult to conceal cynicism. The NFL and the networks continue making inroads on the things which cause fans to love the game. The overall approach is shallower. Football today is a collection of beer and SUV ads, hype, officiating delays, in-game marketing messages and in-game player branding, etc.

If the NFL wants to retain fans' interest, they need to get back to focusing on football. And they need to move away from all the stuff which has been distracting them from football.
    Without the advertisers, tv contracts, in game ads and branding... who could afford a ticket?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The NFL Owners are scared of their employees - especially the players. To make big money they need them but are afraid to tell them to stand-up, shut-up and act like men who are blessed to being making huge amounts of money just by playing a kids game.

23. Post thanked by:

imbondz (09-27-2017),kgun12 (09-26-2017)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

No doom... but after yesterdays politics a bit of blowback in the ratings may happen.

The product is flag happy. I watch the Bills game and Redzone on Sunday. I watch TONS more college football.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

25. Post thanked by:

psubills62 (09-25-2017)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    Without the advertisers, tv contracts, in game ads and branding... who could afford a ticket?
    High school games don't have any of that stuff. Or if they do, it's only a minuscule percentage of what one associates with an NFL game. And yet . . high school games are very affordable. Far more than NFL games. Why? Because the players aren't paid anything.

NFL player salaries have gone up dramatically. In 1990, Joe Montana became the first player in NFL history to get paid more than $3 million a year. Derek Carr's contract pays him $25 million a year. So we've seen a nearly tenfold expansion of player salaries in less than 20 years' time. That massive and needless expansion had to come at someone's expense. It came at the expense of the fans.

Football was far more enjoyable to watch in 1990 than it is today. That is not a coincidence.

27. Post thanked by:

Night Train (09-25-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,876 Times in 1,164 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by streetkings01 View Post
    TV rating are down because fans have found different ways to watch games. Nobody wants to pay these crazy ticket prices or NFL Sunday Ticket prices for a bad product.
    Nice try to spin this, the rating were fine until Kaepernick started kneeling and the NFL started blackmailing states to vote certain way. This weekends stupidity by the players is going to bring out facts that the average voter didn't know. Example my secretary came in my office today and asked me if I knew how much these players made, the tax exemption teams get, and that tax payers pay for most of the stadium builds and renovations?

These idiots non-bigoted up the sleeping giant, the end is near, it's too bad these over priced uneducated athletes don't understand how well they had it. The more they speak the worse it's going to be! The best thing they could do is put out a statement, we made our stand and now we will not disgrace our flag anymore, however they're too stupid!
    Retired Air Traffic Controller
    USAF VETERAN
    DAV

29. Post thanked by:

imbondz (09-27-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,876 Times in 1,164 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by endzone View Post
    The NFL Owners are scared of their employees - especially the players. To make big money they need them but are afraid to tell them to stand-up, shut-up and act like men who are blessed to being making huge amounts of money just by playing a kids game.
    This is why the owners backed the players Sunday, had they said you kneel you're fired, the players would have turned on them faster than they turned on Trump. TV ratings would fall, sponsorships would go away and the billionaire owners lose lots and lots of money! Pu$$ie$

31. Post thanked by:

kscdogbillsfan1221 (09-26-2017)

Registered User kscdogbillsfan1221's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,898 Times in 2,082 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kgun12 View Post
    This is why the owners backed the players Sunday, had they said you kneel you're fired, the players would have turned on them faster than they turned on Trump. TV ratings would fall, sponsorships would go away and the billionaire owners lose lots and lots of money! Pu$$ie$
    Correct
    all the owners care about is money. Which is why they are billionaires.. Had they really given two ****s about 'social justice' then they wouldn't employ wife beaters, accused rapists, etc etc. And before some of you get your panties in a bunch... Yes, i know they aren't all criminals but you can't deny that they willfully and gainfully employ them so long as their talent exceeds their baggage. The fact of the matter is, owners don't like their money messed with (no one does really) and they know that although a large number of people will be pissed off, turned off etc to the whole protest the flag thing, overall the public will watch the games, go to the games etc so they aren't worried about losing from that standpoint. What they couldn't afford to do (in their mind) was piss of the players who in their mind are the most important part of the league.
    I came.
    I saw.
    I conquered.

33. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (09-26-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 24,441 Times in 14,158 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    No doom... but after yesterdays politics a bit of blowback in the ratings may happen.

The product is flag happy. I watch the Bills game and Redzone on Sunday. I watch TONS more college football.
    Ratings were up 3% on the aggregate for the weekend + Monday, but something to watch. I expect this will give the NFL nice bump (sub 5%).
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!