Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The NFL GAME is doomed!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,164 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: The NFL GAME is doomed!

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    Ratings were up 3% on the aggregate for the weekend + Monday, but something to watch. I expect this will give the NFL nice bump (sub 5%).
    See BillsImpossible new thread, no bump here! "Through three weeks, viewership for national telecasts of NFL games is down 11 percent this season compared to 2016, the Nielsen company said on Tuesday
    Retired Air Traffic Controller
    USAF VETERAN
    DAV

Thanks
    Thanked 24,442 Times in 14,159 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kgun12 View Post
    See BillsImpossible new thread, no bump here! "Through three weeks, viewership for national telecasts of NFL games is down 11 percent this season compared to 2016, the Nielsen company said on Tuesday
    I did and you know the difference between what he wrote and what I wrote, correct?
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,249 Times in 15,411 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kgun12 View Post
    See BillsImpossible new thread,
    You're quoting BIMP?

You really wanna hitch your trailer to that one?

4. Post thanked by:

Generalissimus Gibby (09-27-2017)

The Meathead of Muslims! ticatfan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,538 Times in 2,765 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The CFL is still fun, BUT they to have gone the route of pad less practice. But it is still a league played by people for fun not money. Now they all hope to get to the money league.
    Political correctness ( or cancel culture as it is called today) is a doctrine fostered by a delusional ,illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by MSM which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
    Harry S Truman 1941.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,934 Times in 3,490 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

things I hate:
    1) watching kicks/punts because you know there's like a 90% chance whatever happens there's a penalty. Those fouls should only be called if they have a direct bearing on the play which they usually don't.
    2) leaving any team with a good QB time on the clock with a chance to win, you know they will, it's not drama
    3) seeing a team get 40 yards on a ticky tack PI call. Should make it 15 like college.
    4) the games take too long. Anything more than 3 hours is just stupid and makes for a boring experience
    5) Monday night football used to be special. Now you have 3 nights a week of games and the matchups are often lousy. Thursday night football was a stupid overreach. It's hard on the players and the contests usually suck. The league is way overexposed.
    6) If you don't have a top QB you're toast. Passing is too easy. I'd let the defenders make contact for 10 yards, that might make things a little harder. All these easy completions are boring.
    7) Field goal kickers are way better than they used to be. Time to narrow the uprights.
    8) this protest during the anthem thing is boring on both sides. Play the anthem before the players come out of the locker room or just skip the anthem and just end this.

7. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cody View Post
    things I hate:
    1) watching kicks/punts because you know there's like a 90% chance whatever happens there's a penalty. Those fouls should only be called if they have a direct bearing on the play which they usually don't.
    2) leaving any team with a good QB time on the clock with a chance to win, you know they will, it's not drama
    3) seeing a team get 40 yards on a ticky tack PI call. Should make it 15 like college.
    4) the games take too long. Anything more than 3 hours is just stupid and makes for a boring experience
    5) Monday night football used to be special. Now you have 3 nights a week of games and the matchups are often lousy. Thursday night football was a stupid overreach. It's hard on the players and the contests usually suck. The league is way overexposed.
    6) If you don't have a top QB you're toast. Passing is too easy. I'd let the defenders make contact for 10 yards, that might make things a little harder. All these easy completions are boring.
    7) Field goal kickers are way better than they used to be. Time to narrow the uprights.
    8) this protest during the anthem thing is boring on both sides. Play the anthem before the players come out of the locker room or just skip the anthem and just end this.
    I would be interested in seeing #3, #5. #6, and #7 all happen.

They have to find a way to shorten the game. Three hours or more for a 60 minute football game is just stupid.

One of the things I enjoy so much about soccer is that every game takes the exact same amount of time. You know once you buy your ticket or turn on your TV that no matter what in about 2 hours it's going to be over.

9. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

1. Kickoffs are absolutely pointless, most are touchbacks, just eliminate them. Punting is mostly pointless too, especially teams that punt on 4th and 1 from midfield.

2 and 6 are the same point. But 2 and 6 have always existed. It's not like Otto Graham, Johnny Unitas, Sonny Jurgeson, Bart Starr, Norm Van Brocklin, Y.A. Title weren't studs. And shockingly enough the teams who had studs at QB, even way back in the day, were perennially good.

3. Making that penalty only 15 yards instead of spot of foul would make PI go up a ridiculous amount. You're 40 yards downfield and see the receiver has a step on you and the ball is in the air? Well just tackle him.

4. Never happen. Networks want their ad revenue. The longer they can stretch the game without pissing off the fans, the more money for them.

5. Completely agree. I'd get rid of all of these night games. It's nothing special anymore. However will never happen, see 4 and ad revenue for networks especially in prime time.

7. FGs are fine as they are. Making extra points longer was a good thing and shows you that 30 yard FGs aren't gimmes.

8. easy solution, if you don't like the protesting, just tune in at 1:15. Problem solved.

The Meathead of Muslims! ticatfan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,538 Times in 2,765 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    1. Kickoffs are absolutely pointless, most are touchbacks, just eliminate them. Punting is mostly pointless too, especially teams that punt on 4th and 1 from midfield.

2 and 6 are the same point. But 2 and 6 have always existed. It's not like Otto Graham, Johnny Unitas, Sonny Jurgeson, Bart Starr, Norm Van Brocklin, Y.A. Title weren't studs. And shockingly enough the teams who had studs at QB, even way back in the day, were perennially good.

3. Making that penalty only 15 yards instead of spot of foul would make PI go up a ridiculous amount. You're 40 yards downfield and see the receiver has a step on you and the ball is in the air? Well just tackle him.

4. Never happen. Networks want their ad revenue. The longer they can stretch the game without pissing off the fans, the more money for them.

5. Completely agree. I'd get rid of all of these night games. It's nothing special anymore. However will never happen, see 4 and ad revenue for networks especially in prime time.

7. FGs are fine as they are. Making extra points longer was a good thing and shows you that 30 yard FGs aren't gimmes.

8. easy solution, if you don't like the protesting, just tune in at 1:15. Problem solved.
    1- Go the CFL route ,keep the game exciting. 5yrd rule.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,934 Times in 3,490 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post

Well it used to be ST's were exciting. Now with the penalties and where they kick off they aren't. Either stop calling the irrelevant penalties or bag it entirely.

I'm not saying the QB hasn't always been important. But you used to see teams win with mediocre QB's occasionally. Not any more. If you don't have a great QB you're toast now.

The 15 yard PI rule has been there forever in college and that hasn't happened.

I think fans ARE getting fed up with the length of games

https://thesportspost.com/nfl-most-i...sition-kicker/ FG's are no longer the suspenseful play they used to be when over 85% are now good, up from just over half 50 years ago. What's exciting about that?

Yeah I guess. But that doesn't eliminate the controversy or the implications of the protest. Football used to be a refuge from politics

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cody View Post
    Well it used to be ST's were exciting. Now with the penalties and where they kick off they aren't. Either stop calling the irrelevant penalties or bag it entirely.

I'm not saying the QB hasn't always been important. But you used to see teams win with mediocre QB's occasionally. Not any more. If you don't have a great QB you're toast now.

The 15 yard PI rule has been there forever in college and that hasn't happened.

I think fans ARE getting fed up with the length of games

https://thesportspost.com/nfl-most-i...sition-kicker/ FG's are no longer the suspenseful play they used to be when over 85% are now good, up from just over half 50 years ago. What's exciting about that?

Yeah I guess. But that doesn't eliminate the controversy or the implications of the protest. Football used to be a refuge from politics
    I think the 15 yard penalty for pass interference would be a great rule change.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BLUTO View Post
    I think the 15 yard penalty for pass interference would be a great rule change.
    I disagree. It would drastically reduce the number of 20+ yard pass plays. Once a DB gets beat after 15 yards, they would just mug the WR.

I think it would be better to have two penalties. One for impeding the receiver's path (downfield) or bumping, and one for blatant interference, i.e. grabbing, tackling.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    I disagree. It would drastically reduce the number of 20+ yard pass plays. Once a DB gets beat after 15 yards, they would just mug the WR.

I think it would be better to have two penalties. One for impeding the receiver's path (downfield) or bumping, and one for blatant interference, i.e. grabbing, tackling.
    I'd be ok with that, but do we really want to put more ambiguity into the referee's jobs?

Also I've heard that a lot as a reason to not change the DPI call, but the college game is similar and there isn't an epidemic of college WR's getting mugged down the field.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I believe the ratings are down because most people are finally realizing unless you have Tom Brady, Aaron Rogers, Big Ben, or a good rookie deal QB with a stellar defense your team has zero chance to win the super bowl. This has to do with the rules of the game and how defenses cannot stop the passing attacks of offenses like Tom Brady etc...

Additionally the players are constantly changing and I am an advocate for free agency but it makes it hard to be a fan when you are constantly getting new players and fan favorites are leaving for bigger deals.

I am not even talking about teams like the Browns and Bills that change coaches and schemes every two years so we are constantly churning our roster.