Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The NFL is fixed

Thanks
    Thanked 30,557 Times in 17,441 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: The NFL is fixed

C'mon, some of you need to shed the denial once and for all. The simple answer to any question, ANY question, is "Because it's the Patriots".
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,291 Times in 15,441 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't think it's fixed, but I do believe they know who the playoff teams/contenders will be at the spring league meetings.

It's about advertising bucks, and the Buffalos and the Cincinnatis simply don't rate.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,941 Times in 3,493 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    ROFL. That picture is SOOOOOOO photoshopped. I watched the game. It was nothing like that. Watch the video replay.
    http://nypost.com/2017/10/16/nfl-has...t-ruined-jets/

So the NY Post is in on the conspiracy too? The ball was LOOSE. And the NFL isn't just doubling down on the call they're tripling down. Seriously you guys with your NE envy make me laugh. Pre 2001 NE was as star crossed a franchise as Buffalo, maybe more so. I'm not a fan of whiners or excuse makers or conspiracy theory people, they bore me. Draft a Tom Brady and magically we'll start getting lucky.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    I don't think it's fixed, but I do believe they know who the playoff teams/contenders will be at the spring league meetings.

It's about advertising bucks, and the Buffalos and the Cincinnatis simply don't rate.
    So they LET Cincinnati make the playoffs the last 5 years in a row but then make them lose once the playoffs start? Trying to follow the conspiracy. And what about that hot bed market Green Bay Wisconsin? Did they engineer that hit on Rodgers to keep them out?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cody View Post

So the NY Post is in on the conspiracy too? The ball was LOOSE.
    He had possession before he bobbled it. A bobble is NOT a fumble. The ball did not hit the ground.

He possessed it, then he bobbled it momentarily, then he possessed it again when he hit the ground. Touchdown.

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He had possession before he bobbled it. A bobble is NOT a fumble. The ball did not hit the ground.

He possessed it, then he bobbled it momentarily, then he possessed it again when he hit the ground. Touchdown.
    He lost possession momentarily? Do you have an unaltered image/video of this happening?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    He lost possession momentarily? Do you have an unaltered image/video of this happening?
    Yes. Do you?

Ball did NOT hit the ground.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Yes. Do you?

Ball did NOT hit the ground.
    That doesn't mean he didn't fumble.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

That doesn't mean he didn't fumble.
    It does.

And even if it did, he had possession in the end zone.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It does.
    Do you really not know what a fumble is?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Do you really not know what a fumble is?
    To be fair that NFL has made it so fans have no idea what a fumble or catch is anymore.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    To be fair that NFL has made it so fans have no idea what a fumble or catch is anymore.
    You've heard people say that they don't know what a fumble is? It's pretty clear, unlike what a catch is.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You've heard people say that they don't know what a fumble is? It's pretty clear, unlike what a catch is.
    Yeah the difference between a completion and fumble and an incompletion and what constitutes a football move.

This situation with Sefarain Jenkins is different than that obviously, but the NFL itself has blurred the lines on what constitutes possession.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Yeah the difference between a completion and fumble and an incompletion and what constitutes a football move.
    This is only confusing because no one knows what a catch is anymore, though. I've never seen any controversy when it comes strictly to a fumble, because it's incredibly straight forward.

This situation with Sefarain Jenkins is different than that obviously, but the NFL itself has blurred the lines on what constitutes possession.
    Gaining possession is where the problem lies. No one knows when possession is actually obtained anymore. Losing possession, aka a fumble, is pretty understood.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The ref explained the call. He understands the rules. You don't. A bobble as you call is a loss of possession by rule. He has to regain possession which includes surviving landing on the ground which he did not do. You can dislike the rule but that's a separate issue.

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-en...ed-it-a-fumble

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The ref explained the call. He understands the rules. You don't. A bobble as you call is a loss of possession by rule. He has to regain possession which includes surviving landing on the ground which he did not do. You can dislike the rule but that's a separate issue.

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-en...ed-it-a-fumble
    The ball is clearly still in his hands after the play is over. Therefore, bull****.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by senseofdoom View Post
    The ball is clearly still in his hands after the play is over. Therefore, bull****.
    If he had possession when he crossed the goal line it would have been a TD. He didn't. By the time he regained possession he was OB in the end zone. Watch the sequence below.

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-en...jets-touchdown

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

So the NY Post is in on the conspiracy too? The ball was LOOSE. And the NFL isn't just doubling down on the call they're tripling down. Seriously you guys with your NE envy make me laugh. Pre 2001 NE was as star crossed a franchise as Buffalo, maybe more so. I'm not a fan of whiners or excuse makers or conspiracy theory people, they bore me. Draft a Tom Brady and magically we'll start getting lucky.
    Let's say that there's a group of runners who regularly race against each other. There's one guy in particular who always wins. How should the other runners feel about that guy? Should they blame him for training too hard, being born with too much talent, trying too hard? Should their attitude be, this guy is a real jerk for doing as well as he's doing?

Clearly, it would be foolish and misguided to hate the guy who comes in first because he's too good. And yet, I sometimes see exactly that same attitude from Bills fans. We're told that we're supposed to blame Miami for 0-for-the-'70s, instead of blaming One Bills Drive for their failure to take even one win from the Dolphins during that decade. More recently, we're supposed to blame the Patriots for being very good for a very long time, instead of blaming the Bills for being mediocre/underwhelming for an equally long time.

If one guy is winning a lot of races, it's not his responsibility to slow down or become worse so that other runners can beat him from time to time. If a football team is winning a lot of games, it's not their responsibility to play less than their best, in order to improve the records of their weaker division opponents.

That said, I can't condone the Patriots' cheating. (Which I blame mostly on Robert Kraft and Bill Belichick.)
    Last edited by Arm of Harm; 10-19-2017 at 11:25 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Arm of Harm View Post
    Let's say that there's a group of runners who regularly race against each other. There's one guy in particular who always wins. How should the other runners feel about that guy? Should they blame him for training too hard, being born with too much talent, trying too hard? Should their attitude be, this guy is a real jerk for doing as well as he's doing?

Clearly, it would be foolish and misguided to hate the guy who comes in first because he's too good. And yet, I sometimes see exactly that same attitude from Bills fans. We're told that we're supposed to blame Miami for 0-for-the-'70s, instead of blaming One Bills Drive for their failure to take even one win from the Dolphins during that decade. More recently, we're supposed to blame the Patriots for being very good for a very long time, instead of blaming the Bills for being mediocre/underwhelming for an equally long time.

If one guy is winning a lot of races, it's not his responsibility to slow down or become worse so that other runners can beat him from time to time. If a football team is winning a lot of games, it's not their responsibility to play less than their best, in order to improve the records of their weaker division opponents.

That said, I can't condone the Patriots' cheating. (Which I blame mostly on Robert Kraft and Bill Belichick.)
    I think you'd be hard pressed to find a single Bills fan that doesn't blame the Bills for their inadequacy.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,296 Times in 13,726 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Arm of Harm View Post

A few things:
    1. As Joe pointed out, most Bills fans are critical of the team and the FO at least to some degree
    2. To go back to the running example, no, you can't really blame the winner for winning. But you also can't blame the other runners for getting frustrated and resnrful over the fact that they can't beat the winner
    3. Whenever it looks like someone may be fast enough to catch the winner, the officials allow him a half step head start or look away when he pulls another runner back by the jersey, calls another runner for pulling the back of the winner's jersey when it never happened, etc. That leads to more frustration and resentment.

And, as you mentioned, the cheating.....

21. Post thanked by:

YardRat (10-19-2017)