Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Housley is going to get fired!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Housley is going to get fired!

Good grief.....Botts is really going to have to do a serious soul search review of the coaching staff....looking more and more like Housley has no answers or he's lost the team...does Capt Jack move to get him fired?

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,002 Times in 697 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by snow1989 View Post
    Good grief.....Botts is really going to have to do a serious soul search review of the coaching staff....looking more and more like Housley has no answers or he's lost the team...does Capt Jack move to get him fired?
    serious question, what is every other coach doing that Housley, Bylsma, Nolan, Ruff aren't/weren't doing? I know what the other playoff teams are doing and that is playing with a playoff caliber roster. So this is all coaching? The last decade or so?

For the record, I think Botterill is a good GM (although I have been critical of trading O'Reilly) and needs at least more than 1 off season to re-tool the whole roster even if you picked a stud at #1. So because the realization is there to give the GM some space while he builds the roster, why isn't that afforded to the coach? Does he handle younger players poorly? Does he not play them? I don't think any coach in the league would be easily in the playoffs with the roster you have. Either way I suspect I am the minority here so I will table this discussion for next year at this time when the new coach sucks.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,020 Times in 7,869 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mightysimi View Post
    serious question, what is every other coach doing that Housley, Bylsma, Nolan, Ruff aren't/weren't doing? I know what the other playoff teams are doing and that is playing with a playoff caliber roster. So this is all coaching? The last decade or so?

For the record, I think Botterill is a good GM (although I have been critical of trading O'Reilly) and needs at least more than 1 off season to re-tool the whole roster even if you picked a stud at #1. So because the realization is there to give the GM some space while he builds the roster, why isn't that afforded to the coach? Does he handle younger players poorly? Does he not play them? I don't think any coach in the league would be easily in the playoffs with the roster you have. Either way I suspect I am the minority here so I will table this discussion for next year at this time when the new coach sucks.
    I think Botterill deserves some of the blame here. Granted, he inherited a mess and it can’t all be fixed right away, but in two seasons the only offense he’s added is Skinner. The team is 3 players deep and if any one of the 3 isn’t available or has an off night, we lose.

When it comes to Housley, though, think about this. We were the worst team in the NHL last year. Since the 10 game winning streak ended, we are the 2nd worst team in the league in terms of wins/points in the standings. We just got shut out 3 straight games and haven’t scored a non-shootout goal in nearly 200 minutes. The only way it gets that bad is if either a) the coach’s system sucks or b) guys aren’t listening to the coach. Either way, it comes back to Housley.

Also, Read Mike Harrington’s article in the Buffalo News. The Pegulas likely won’t fite Botts because they’ve acknowledged that he inherited a mess and know that it’ll take at least another off-season to clean it up. You can’t fire all 25 guys on the roster. So, while you could argue that Housley deserves another year with better talent, he likely won’t get it. They need a big move to sell to the fans.

Part of me wouldn’t mind seeing him stick around. The coaching carousel is killing us. But I’m quickly losing confidence in his ability to win.

4. Post thanked by:

ckg927 (03-31-2019),coastal (03-15-2019),mightysimi (03-15-2019),stuckincincy (03-15-2019)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Housley also inherited no prospects along with Botterill. However, 200 min without a goal is on the players. No system is designed to score every time and statistically they should have gotten one by accident by now. More likely players are pressing to score and playing outside of the system or looser in the system if that makes sense.

I feel the reality is your offence is based off essentially 2 players so teams can game plan that. It would take about 3 games of tape to see that some of those players don't belong in the roles they are in currently and that you would only have to guard a few guys.

You are right it is easier to change 1 instead of 25 but you kind of made him start with one hand tied behind his back. It will be interesting to see who they get to coach but I'm not sure an established coach wants to come to a place where 3 years is getting into Lindy Ruff territory in terms of tenure.

Honestly I would love for the sabres to do well as this forum gets way more lively when they do well but the reality is I think they are at least 1 but more likely 2 off seasons before competing.

6. Post thanked by:

coastal (03-15-2019)

It's soooo embarrassing YardRat's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,847 Times in 11,105 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I stand by my comment regarding him losing the locker room after the 'soft' accusation. Somebody is going to have to go this off-season, and it's either the coach or the players.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
    2019 Mock
    -------------
    #9---OT Andre Dillard (DT ED OLIVER) #40---DT Dexter Lawrence (OT Dalton Risner) #74---RB David Montgomery
    #112---WR Jakobi Meyers #131---OT Bobby Evans #147---TE Drew Sample #158---LB Sutton Smith
    #181---CB Blace Brown #225---DE/LB Shareef Miller #228---CB Mark Fields

Thanks
    Thanked 9,235 Times in 5,373 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    I think Botterill deserves some of the blame here. Granted, he inherited a mess and it can’t all be fixed right away, but in two seasons the only offense he’s added is Skinner. The team is 3 players deep and if any one of the 3 isn’t available or has an off night, we lose.

When it comes to Housley, though, think about this. We were the worst team in the NHL last year. Since the 10 game winning streak ended, we are the 2nd worst team in the league in terms of wins/points in the standings. We just got shut out 3 straight games and haven’t scored a non-shootout goal in nearly 200 minutes. The only way it gets that bad is if either a) the coach’s system sucks or b) guys aren’t listening to the coach. Either way, it comes back to Housley.

Also, Read Mike Harrington’s article in the Buffalo News. The Pegulas likely won’t fite Botts because they’ve acknowledged that he inherited a mess and know that it’ll take at least another off-season to clean it up. You can’t fire all 25 guys on the roster. So, while you could argue that Housley deserves another year with better talent, he likely won’t get it. They need a big move to sell to the fans.

Part of me wouldn’t mind seeing him stick around. The coaching carousel is killing us. But I’m quickly losing confidence in his ability to win.
    he was dealt some talent but outside of 10 games hasn’t delivered and coached anything to produce.
    He sucks.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    I stand by my comment regarding him losing the locker room after the 'soft' accusation. Somebody is going to have to go this off-season, and it's either the coach or the players.
    If the team wants to improve, it should be several of the players.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If the team wants to improve, it should be several of the players.
    Several of the players just need to be removed...Sobotka, Scandella come to mind right off the bat....I'm surprised by this sudden collapse, the soft play....even if they didn't make the playoffs, I did expect to see some battling for it...not this veritable collapse....i think the roster needs a bit of sandpaper too....aka Barnaby, Ray, May.....something...too many liberties being taken,..
    I've upped my standards...now up yours

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Housley is the problem. he was 2nd choice and a late 2nd choice. Yes ghey do need more talent. but they need a guy who can create a system for the players and build around it. He is so bad at everything. Sounds like a little weak whiny B#%ch every presser and interview. a real Puss n Boots

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by coastal View Post
    he was dealt some talent but outside of 10 games hasn’t delivered and coached anything to produce.
    He sucks.
    Botts won't fire him. Coach Softy has too many ties to the Pegulas for one. Botts hired Housley, aware of the system he would implement. Botts is charged with getting Housley the players he needs to run his system. Firing Housley would be an admission of his own short comings and an indictment of his job as gm. The Sabres are probably stuck with Housley for at least another year while Botts chases Housley's system. If he fires Housely, the guns are squarely drawn on him.
    ...Rob

The American Dream isn't an SUV and a house in the suburbs;
    it's Don't Tread On Me.

Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie. DetDannyWilliams's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by rbochan View Post
    Botts won't fire him. Coach Softy has too many ties to the Pegulas for one. Botts hired Housley, aware of the system he would implement. Botts is charged with getting Housley the players he needs to run his system. Firing Housley would be an admission of his own short comings and an indictment of his job as gm. The Sabres are probably stuck with Housley for at least another year while Botts chases Housley's system. If he fires Housely, the guns are squarely drawn on him.
    not to mention the Sabres 50th Anniversary is next season just saying

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Housley HAS to get fired after this.

15. Post thanked by:

MitchMurrayDowntown (03-16-2019)

Skoobasaurus-Rex MitchMurrayDowntown's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,983 Times in 2,834 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by coastal View Post
    Housley HAS to get fired after this.
    Can his ass, he’s done as a coach.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

That GWG though is definitely not on the coach

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

https://thehockeynews.com/news/artic...er-lost-season

Good read that I think essentially sums up how I feel.

Curious on if this resonates with some of you or if it is still all on the coach?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,405 Times in 4,217 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I was told by someone on the inside an hour ago that the Housley firing is coming.

Stay tuned.

Don't tell me what the poets are doing
    On the street and the epitome of vague
    Don't tell me how the universe is altered
    When you find out how he gets paid, all right

20. Post thanked by:

coastal (03-17-2019),MitchMurrayDowntown (03-17-2019)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    I was told by someone on the inside an hour ago that the Housley firing is coming.

Stay tuned.
    Do tell.

Skoobasaurus-Rex MitchMurrayDowntown's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,983 Times in 2,834 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post

Stay tuned.
    First in the NHL to top 3 would scream I lost the team.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
    First in the NHL to top 3 would scream I lost the team.
    First after the quarter mark of the season? They don't give out medals at the 20m mark of the 100m. Playing before Xmas isn't the same as after. There is another gear that you guys didn't have the depth to keep up with. Also winning 10 games in a row while impressive, coming back in most of them and winning a bunch of them in OT is a lucky streak and I think you all deep down know it.

For the lost the team argument, these are pros making a ton of money if they aren't doing what they are told because they don't want to listen to the coach, you need knew players. The days of needing a Mike Kennan disciplinarian to control the players are over.
    Standing by for firing followed by an uptick in play as everyone starts looking for next year's jobs. You have 3 maybe 4 forwards, 2 maybe 3 d and no goalies and marginal prospects. Good luck with that new coach.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

First after the quarter mark of the season? They don't give out medals at the 20m mark of the 100m. Playing before Xmas isn't the same as after. There is another gear that you guys didn't have the depth to keep up with. Also winning 10 games in a row while impressive, coming back in most of them and winning a bunch of them in OT is a lucky streak and I think you all deep down know it.

For the lost the team argument, these are pros making a ton of money if they aren't doing what they are told because they don't want to listen to the coach, you need knew players. The days of needing a Mike Kennan disciplinarian to control the players are over.
    Standing by for firing followed by an uptick in play as everyone starts looking for next year's jobs. You have 3 maybe 4 forwards, 2 maybe 3 d and no goalies and marginal prospects. Good luck with that new coach.
    winnipeg ain’t winning **** either hoss... Laine turned into Kessel and who exactly is your elite D.

You homos couldn’t even get past terrible ass Vegas last year.