Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: 2018 Toyota Corolla: not impressed.

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,150 Times in 797 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: 2018 Toyota Corolla: not impressed.

Anyone know anyone who went full electric? I drive about 80Km a day to work and could save a ton on gas but obviously the upfront cost is higher. I worry about a hybrid as it is a fairly curvy road and figure I would be on the gas engine most of the time which would defeat the purpose.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 7,503 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mightysimi View Post
    Anyone know anyone who went full electric? I drive about 80Km a day to work and could save a ton on gas but obviously the upfront cost is higher. I worry about a hybrid as it is a fairly curvy road and figure I would be on the gas engine most of the time which would defeat the purpose.
    I did.

I have a 2018 Convertible SmartCar.

Do they have a level 2 or 3 charger at work?

There are incentive programs for employers to put one in.

My range is 150 kms so charging would be necessary.

3. Post thanked by:

mightysimi (07-19-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 16,967 Times in 8,351 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mightysimi View Post
    We’ve thought about it but haven’t pulled the trigger. In fact my wife’s employer is having an event today that allows employees to test drive EV’s.

The way the technology is now, we’d need at least one gas vehicle. Most electrics don’t have the range to make it to Rochester or Buffalo on one charge and there’s a huge stretch of rural PA that we have to drive through with basically no charging stations.

I really like the Tesla’s but they’re expensive and hard to get.

Infiniti is converting the whole Q70 line to electric next year - maybe by the time I’m ready for a new car, I can find a used one.

5. Post thanked by:

mightysimi (07-19-2019)

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,150 Times in 797 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    We’ve thought about it but haven’t pulled the trigger. In fact my wife’s employer is having an event today that allows employees to test drive EV’s.

The way the technology is now, we’d need at least one gas vehicle. Most electrics don’t have the range to make it to Rochester or Buffalo on one charge and there’s a huge stretch of rural PA that we have to drive through with basically no charging stations.

I really like the Tesla’s but they’re expensive and hard to get.

Infiniti is converting the whole Q70 line to electric next year - maybe by the time I’m ready for a new car, I can find a used one.
    The Tesla 3 was what I was looking at. Unfortunately there is no service station on Vancouver Island so that is a non starter for me. My girlfriend has a gas vehicle as backup so I figured the 400KM range was plenty but with having to get in on a ferry to Vancouver if something goes wrong, no thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Haile SpikedLemonade View Post
    I did.

I have a 2018 Convertible SmartCar.

Do they have a level 2 or 3 charger at work?

There are incentive programs for employers to put one in.

My range is 150 kms so charging would be necessary.
    They don't have a charger on the base unfortunately so I would need a bit more range and as my kids are still young enough, room for hockey bags :)

7. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (07-19-2019)

The Victimizer CommissarSpartacus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,806 Times in 12,096 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

This one's just down the road from me.

Should I go take it for a test drive?

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/chrysler..._15_19&sprx=-2
    boisterous hubris, arrogance, self deception, conspiracy, mud slinging mixed with a heavy dose of self righteousness.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,231 Times in 6,230 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Saw one of these driving home one day last week. Had to stop and look up the value.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...021_isFeatured

Apparently $82k is a "Very good" deal.
    Welcome to Buffalo Carter Hutton

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    Saw one of these driving home one day last week. Had to stop and look up the value.

I never liked those cars- too boxy.

Infiniti gave me a QX80 as a loaner once- it’s their $80k competition to that car. It was nice but way too big. It had a bunch of off road driving modes but I don’t know who would spend that much on a car then use it off-road where it’s gonna get scratched and dinged.

11. Post thanked by:

Swiper (07-21-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,811 Times in 2,011 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post

A poser version of a Toyota Landcruiser. 25 years ago they had a 4 cyl diesel version with less bells and whistles that got my attention. In the end I was a Mitsubishi Montero fan.

13. Post thanked by:

Swiper (07-21-2019)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by CommissarSpartacus View Post
    This one's just down the road from me.

Should I go take it for a test drive?

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/chrysler..._15_19&sprx=-2
    Yes! 6 speed manual!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    A poser version of a Toyota Landcruiser. 25 years ago they had a 4 cyl diesel version with less bells and whistles that got my attention. In the end I was a Mitsubishi Montero fan.
    Iíve never been a Mitsubishi fan but to their credit: my wifeís uncle lives on a crazy rural mountain in Puerto Rico. Their driveway is super steep- so steep that I wonít even take the rental cars we get down there- we park on the street and walk down. They have a Montero thatís at least 25 years old and it still eats that mountain alive. The longevity on it is amazing.

16. Post thanked by:

sahlensguy (07-21-2019)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I’ve never been a Mitsubishi fan but to their credit: my wife’s uncle lives on a crazy rural mountain in Puerto Rico. Their driveway is super steep- so steep that I won’t even take the rental cars we get down there- we park on the street and walk down. They have a Montero that’s at least 25 years old and it still eats that mountain alive. The longevity on it is amazing.
    One of the very few good vehicles that Mitsubishi ever sold in the states. All 3 generations, from the mid 80's to 2006 always gave best bang for the buck performance. Not sold in the US since then. Great 4wd system for highway and offroad. Big thing that held them back for mass appeal in the off road community was lack of aftermarket upgrades. Jeep is the king there. Holds its own in lightly modified or even stock versions though. Proud Dakar Rally championship pedigree. Made in Japan and half the price as a Landcruiser. I've owned 3. If they had a V8 option I'd own a generation 3 today.

(and were not talking about the cheaper Montero "Sport" version here)
    Last edited by sahlensguy; 07-21-2019 at 06:41 PM.

18. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (07-21-2019)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    One of the very few good vehicles that Mitsubishi ever sold in the states. All 3 generations, from the mid 80's to 2006 always gave best bang for the buck performance. Not sold in the US since then. Great 4wd system for highway and offroad. Big thing that held them back for mass appeal in the off road community was lack of aftermarket upgrades. Jeep is the king there. Holds its own in lightly modified or even stock versions though. Proud Dakar Rally championship pedigree. Made in Japan and half the price as a Landcruiser. I've owned 3. If they had a V8 option I'd own a generation 3 today.

(and were not talking about the cheaper Montero "Sport" version here)
    They have the Dakar edition.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

They have the Dakar edition.
    The last 2 door Montero sold in the US was in 1991 and the 4th Generation (2006 to current) was never available here unfortunately.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Now Mazda has a direct injection engine that has so much compression it doesn't use spark plugs!

If it proves to be reliable, it's a Toyota Corolla slayer. 50 mpg. AWD option too. The article did not mention pricing.

Instead of using spark plugs like a gasoline engine, it employs compression to ignite the fuel, in the same way as a diesel does. The SkyActiv-X is a 2.0-liter gasoline engine employs a common rail-style system from a diesel engine, a supercharger and a mild hybrid system to create an engine that produces 178hp, generates beefy bottom-end torque, like a diesel, but spins freely to 6500 revs, like a gasoline engine.

SkyActiv-X is the brandís new, spark controlled compression ignition (SPCCI) engine that effectively burns a very lean air-to-fuel mixture in the combustion chamber via compression ignition, rather than utilizing a spark. This process reduces the amount of fuel used in each combustion cycle, while also lowering temperatures in the cylinder, thus improving thermal efficiency and reducing pumping losses. A small supercharger rams yet more air into the cylinder at low revs to aid the compression ignition system.
    http://flip.it/mFC0iq