Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Toyota Corolla: not impressed.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,866 Times in 8,296 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

2018 Toyota Corolla: not impressed.

So I got rear ended last month and my carís been in the body shop for the last 10 days (it was low speed and I was alone so fortunately no injuries). They gave me a 2018 Corrolla as a rental.

The good things about it are that it has a decent audio system with a touch screen control that is easy to use and sounds decent- not as good as the Bose in my car but much better than Iíd expect for a base level compact car. The interior is more spacious than I would have expected and it has steering wheel audio controls. It has a safety system that includes forward collision, lane departure and blind spot warning, and the backup camera is good.

The bad: the safety system is controlled by the steering wheel buttons and is on the dash rather than the touch screen. Itís not intuitive at all. The Bluetooth audio occasionally pauses for no reason with the Sirius XM app (this doesnít happen in my car or my wifeís car so itís not the app or my phone). The interior looks and feels cheap. And itís slow.

Worst of all, the real reason people buy these cars is the gas mileage, but the gas mileage isnít very good. I got it with 1/4 tank, so thatís what I need to return it with. The body shop hasnít been stringing me along about when my car will be ready, so Iíve onlh been putting a little gas in at a time. I had it up to 1/2 rank at one point, and it was back down to a quarter after maybe 35 miles of driving. Since Iíve had it, Iíve only driven it to and from work and to run short errands around my neighborhood and Iíve put $25 worth of gas in it. To be fair, I probably would have spent more in my car, but my car is 328 hp and takes premium. It was a LOT of sacrifice in performance for minimal savings on gas.

If youíre in the market for a compact car, donít buy this one. Look at Honda, Hyundai, Nissan or Kia.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,850 Times in 2,366 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: 2018 Toyota Corolla: not impressed.

Civic . Honda stretched out the wheel base so it is only 3 inches shorter than the accord. I have a turbo and get about 29-31 miles per. Mostly city driving.

back seat is huge. Nice infotainment system .

3. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (10-25-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,784 Times in 11,627 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You need to fill it up to get a more accurate feel for the mpg you are getting.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

5. Post thanked by:

stuckincincy (04-24-2019),ublinkwescore (12-05-2018)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    You need to fill it up to get a more accurate feel for the mpg you are getting.
    Maybe but I read some reviews online and a couple of them said that the Corrolla wasn’t as good on gas mileage as other cars in the same class.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    Civic . Honda stretched out the wheel base so it is only 3 inches shorter than the accord. I have a turbo and get about 29-31 miles per. Mostly city driving.

back seat is huge. Nice infotainment system .

Always been a fan of Honda/Acura. I like what they’ve done with the Civic and Accord.

7. Post thanked by:

mightysimi (10-25-2018)

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 792 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Thanks for this, I am in the market for a new car and I have an old 2009 corolla which is great. I have been looking at the newer ones but came away thinking the civic has more to offer for around the same price but this confirms it for me.

9. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (10-25-2018)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mightysimi View Post
    Thanks for this, I am in the market for a new car and I have an old 2009 corolla which is great. I have been looking at the newer ones but came away thinking the civic has more to offer for around the same price but this confirms it for me.
    I’m a huge fan of buying cars certified used, especially if you’re buying something reliable like a Civic or Corrolla. You get the balance of the factory warranty plus the extended powertrain warranty (varies by manufacturer but is usually 7 years/100k miles) and you’ll get a lot more car for your money. And the drop in value is significantly less.

11. Post thanked by:

mightysimi (10-25-2018)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    I’m a huge fan of buying cars certified used, especially if you’re buying something reliable like a Civic or Corrolla. You get the balance of the factory warranty plus the extended powertrain warranty (varies by manufacturer but is usually 7 years/100k miles) and you’ll get a lot more car for your money. And the drop in value is significantly less.
    I will look at used for sure as I bought the 09 used. The 09 is still good, but I want to upgrade the features and drive a little more comfortably. If I had a place to store it, I would keep the 09 until my kids can drive it as it doesn't seem to die.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mightysimi View Post
    I will look at used for sure as I bought the 09 used. The 09 is still good, but I want to upgrade the features and drive a little more comfortably. If I had a place to store it, I would keep the 09 until my kids can drive it as it doesn't seem to die.
    Yeah those Japanese four-banger engines will run forever. If you can’t keep it I’m sure you can get decent money on a trade in or sale. Do you have CarMax in Canada? We’ve never bought from them but we’ve sold them at least 3 cars and always got more than the dealer was offering on a trade in. It’s a fairly simple process too.

You might want to look at Nissan too. Their competition for the Corrolla/Civic is the Sentra. I didn’t drive anything but Honda/Acura for probably 12 years, but a few years back when my wife and I needed new cars, it was hard to get anything from them certified used because of the Takata air bag recall. I ended up with the Infiniti and she ended up with a Nissan Murano. Both have been great vehicles for us. When it comes time to replace my car I’ll definitely look at the Accord and TLX but Nissan and Infiniti will stay in the mix.

14. Post thanked by:

mightysimi (10-25-2018)

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,912 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Only you would complain about a Toyota product.

These are probably the most well built, longest lasting vehicles in North America.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    Only you would complain about a Toyota product.

These are probably the most well built, longest lasting vehicles in North America.
    I’m not debating that. Being well built and long lasting doesn’t make it a nice car to drive.

And to be fair, if I was stuck with it, it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world. There are plenty of worse cars out there. I’m just saying there are some things they could do better.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,912 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I’m not debating that. Being well built and long lasting doesn’t make it a nice car to drive.

And to be fair, if I was stuck with it, it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world. There are plenty of worse cars out there. I’m just saying there are some things they could do better.
    It's not a luxury sedan. It's designed to get you from point A to B safely, economically and relatively comfortably.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It's not a luxury sedan. It's designed to get you from point A to B safely, economically and relatively comfortably.
    Right but with everything I have read, the Honda will get me there more comfortably

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Ok. Not an excuse for the Bluetooth audio to cut out. Not an excuse to have controls that aren’t intuitive. Not an excuse for the gas mileage, especially when the gas mileage is one of the major selling points.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,802 Times in 2,004 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Just bought a 2006 Saab 9-3 Sportcombi wagon with the manual transmission. Always loved the company and this is my 3rd one.probably not the best in any single catagory, but perhaps the most balanced car available on the used market (needs a proper technician in reasonable proximity as electronics can be finicky).

Great turbo performance, nice handling, great crash test results, good luxery and comfort, highway mpgs around 30 and decently reliable with still easy to get parts. All at dirt cheap prices.

I can't fathom getting a ****box Corolla for twice the price.

Saab is a wonderfully engaging used car. If a buyer prefers top notch reliability over a driver"s car, buy a used Lexus.

21. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (10-26-2018)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    Just bought a 2006 Saab 9-3 Sportcombi wagon with the manual transmission. Always loved the company and this is my 3rd one.probably not the best in any single catagory, but perhaps the most balanced car available on the used market (needs a proper technician in reasonable proximity as electronics can be finicky).

Great turbo performance, nice handling, great crash test results, good luxery and comfort, highway mpgs around 30 and decently reliable with still easy to get parts. All at dirt cheap prices.

I can't fathom getting a ****box Corolla for twice the price.

Saab is a wonderfully engaging used car. If a buyer prefers top notch reliability over a driver"s car, buy a used Lexus.
    You can still find Saab parts/mechanics?

We toyed with the idea of getting a convertible as a 3rd car about 10 years ago and test drove some Saab's. They were nice but we decided we didn't need the expense. And my wife's uncle in FL has the Saab SUV. It was really nice and I was surprised at some of the features given the age.

My wife's sister has a Lexus- I think it's the IS series. It rode nice and it had cool features like cooling seats. The model she got wasn't as fast as I would have liked (I think it was just over 200 hp). The big problem with it is that because of the RWD, the tires are different sizes. That means they can't be rotated and she burns through tires like crazy. And I hate the Lexus RX350 SUV. It's the official vehicle of soccer moms who like saying they drive a Lexus but still camp in the left lane doing 55.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You can still find Saab parts/mechanics?

We toyed with the idea of getting a convertible as a 3rd car about 10 years ago and test drove some Saab's. They were nice but we decided we didn't need the expense. And my wife's uncle in FL has the Saab SUV. It was really nice and I was surprised at some of the features given the age.

My wife's sister has a Lexus- I think it's the IS series. It rode nice and it had cool features like cooling seats. The model she got wasn't as fast as I would have liked (I think it was just over 200 hp). The big problem with it is that because of the RWD, the tires are different sizes. That means they can't be rotated and she burns through tires like crazy. And I hate the Lexus RX350 SUV. It's the official vehicle of soccer moms who like saying they drive a Lexus but still camp in the left lane doing 55.
    The lack of parts are the only reason I'm not still driving a 30 year old Saab 900 or a 25 year old Saab 9000. For the newer 9-3 and 9-5 it's easy to find parts, hard to find mechanics. They were owned by GM since the mid 90's so most parts for newer ones are readily available.

The biggest issue is that you need a trained mechanic for are the electronics. It's not a huge issue but when things like door locks go out or window regulators don't work or when you replace a key fob, the replacements need to be mated to the car's computer. Any owner could buy a Chinese TechII scanner with pirated software and and computer running Windows XP all for about $300 and diy. Most don't have the time or desire to do that though. Those trained mechanics aren't everywhere, but the common issues don't leave you starnded either.

The GM Saabs have hard plastic all over in the cabin and the peeling black dash paint and buttons that plagued many other GM vehicles for years is here too. The infotainment systems are limited. That's important to many car buyers. I get that.There is no Bluetooth, navigation, or backup camera (has aux jack). Aftermarket steroes are difficult to install because of the electrical system needing to be mated to the component. That's a no go.

Rather the engagement in these cars is the driving experience itself. Not as great as the handling and balance as an old BMW e39 and some others, but still very good. Not as fast as a new Ford Focus ST, but still a lot of refind get up and go.The dash wraps around the driver. The symetrical dash designs of newer cars where an entertainment screen is bordered by HVAC controls and vents that face the passengers as much as the driver, makes want to vomit out the window. This sitting position in Saabs just sucks you in as the driver. It does me at least.

Outside of a Toyota Landcruiser or maybe a Tacoma, there isn't a Toyota or Lexus in the last 20 years that is attractive to me.

Pretty down on Honda too. I need to sell my very forgettable Honda Pilot now since I bought the 9-3. Can't be soon enough.

9-3 dash

http://ocdn.eu/images/pulscms/ZDQ7MD...3f28d935b8.jpg

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I like what Honda is doing with the Accord, going with the turbo instead of the V6. It lost about 20
    HP so I’d like to see how it drives. And the new Civics seem cool too but they’re probably underpowered for me, except the Si but I can’t drive stick.

My wife’s last car was an Acura RDX with a turbo 4 and the SH-AWD. That thing handled beautifully and had plenty of pep. My Acura TL had a 280 HP v6 and it moved. It handled well even though the model I had didn’t have the AWD. Acura has redone their whole lineup. I like the V6 TLX but 15 was the first model year and it had some transmission issues that were ironed out in the newer ones, which are still too expensive for me.

I’ve always admired Toyota’s quality and reliability but I find them boring. My dad says they’re like refrigerators- just a boring box that runs forever. Some of Lexus’ higher end models are nice but their less expensive models aren’t impressive to me. It’s like you’re paying a lot more than you would for a Honda or Nissan for minimal performance and feature upgrades.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I like what Honda is doing with the Accord, going with the turbo instead of the V6. It lost about 20
    HP so I’d like to see how it drives. And the new Civics seem cool too but they’re probably underpowered for me, except the Si but I can’t drive stick.

My wife’s last car was an Acura RDX with a turbo 4 and the SH-AWD. That thing handled beautifully and had plenty of pep. My Acura TL had a 280 HP v6 and it moved. It handled well even though the model I had didn’t have the AWD. Acura has redone their whole lineup. I like the V6 TLX but 15 was the first model year and it had some transmission issues that were ironed out in the newer ones, which are still too expensive for me.

I’ve always admired Toyota’s quality and reliability but I find them boring. My dad says they’re like refrigerators- just a boring box that runs forever. Some of Lexus’ higher end models are nice but their less expensive models aren’t impressive to me. It’s like you’re paying a lot more than you would for a Honda or Nissan for minimal performance and feature upgrades.
    Those are all good cars. They really are. But newer cars just don't speak to me. Why I want a car to speak to me I don't know, but I'm good with a '68 Delta 88, an old Volkswagen Beetle, an '82 corrola sr5 hatchback, '86 Toyota MR2, 2007 Lincoln Town car etc...

New cars and companies today are too similar for my tastes. The result of globalization. Too many electronics and too complex. Simple is less reliable but easier to fix. Mechanics with higher tolerances is more reliable but also more complex to repair. Give me an old fashioned Saab or old BMW any day. They give much better feedback to the driver. New cars are numbing. If I didn't need a car for a daily driver, I'd never keep up with the times.
    Last edited by sahlensguy; 10-26-2018 at 08:25 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    Those are all good cars. They really are. But newer cars just don't speak to me. Why I want a car to speak to me I don't know, but I'm good with a '68 Delta 88, an old Volkswagen Beetle, an '82 corrola sr5 hatchback, '86 Toyota MR2, 2007 Lincoln Town car etc...

New cars and companies today are too similar for my tastes. The result of globalization. Too many electronics and too complex. Simple is less reliable but easier to fix. Mechanics with higher tolerances is more reliable but also more complex to repair. Give me an old fashioned Saab or old BMW any day. They give much better feedback to the driver. New cars are numbing. If I didn't need a car for a daily driver, I'd never keep up with the times.
    Yeah it’s getting insane. My cousin manages a Firestone Complete Auto Care and he said the company is going to need to change it to “Firestone Tire and Lube” or something like that because of the complexity. The computer systems are so complicated and so specific to each brand that there are a lot of things that mechanics can’t do without specific training on that model from the manufacturer.

Me personally? I’m a tech geek and I’m not very mechanically inclined, so I’m fine with it as long as it handles well and it can go from 55 to 85 with a tap of the pedal. But I get the frustration amongst people who enjoy cars and want to do things themselves. Even if I wanted to work on our cars, the things I’d be able to to would be so limited.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Yeah itís getting insane. My cousin manages a Firestone Complete Auto Care and he said the company is going to need to change it to ďFirestone Tire and LubeĒ or something like that because of the complexity. The computer systems are so complicated and so specific to each brand that there are a lot of things that mechanics canít do without specific training on that model from the manufacturer.

Me personally? Iím a tech geek and Iím not very mechanically inclined, so Iím fine with it as long as it handles well and it can go from 55 to 85 with a tap of the pedal. But I get the frustration amongst people who enjoy cars and want to do things themselves. Even if I wanted to work on our cars, the things Iíd be able to to would be so limited.
    Had a bus break down in a one roach motel town in Wyoming this summer. Blew an air hose. Bad accumulator. An independent mechanic was sent from a couple hours away. A half day later he arrives. Said he needed to go back to where he came from to see if the shop had or could get the part. No phone call to his office first to see if they could get the part over the phone, nothing. He just took off. Didn't expect to ever see him again, leaving me to find cockroaches scurry from under the bed's pillow.

Luckily, some local trucker guy pulls up. "Broke down?" "Yep, broke down" I say. "Well let's have a look...blown hose, bad accumulator. I'll help. Climb in." So we go to his garage a few blocks away were he opens up this shop. Decades of greasey tools everywhere. Most unorganized shop I've ever seen. He knew where everything was. Wouldn't want to eat off of that floor.

He gathers some tools. We go back and remove the accumulator and clean it. He repairs the hose. I'm good to go. I call my boss. He's stunned. Says the out of town mechanic's bill was going to be $4000.

I say thanks to my guy and give him my boss' business card and told him to send him the bill. I asked what is he going to charge. He winks and says alot. I say good, becuase my boss has lots of money.

It was probably the most Amercana (not sure right word) moment I've had. That guy was the most can do guy. If his big rig breaks down, he either fixes it or his family doesn't get fed I guess. A real throwback and attitude that is mostly lost in our culture today.

Auto mechanics is currently a bad career choice to get into. High cost of entry (tools, training), early wage cap, little respect, and often pigion holed into specific car brand.

Btw, you might be a Saab guy deep down afterall. In the nineties, after getting some run on Top Gear, they boasted in an add campaign saying."The 5-speed Saab 9000 Aero will streak from 50 to 75 mph faster than a Ferrari Testarossa or a Porsche Carrera 4."

28. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (10-27-2018)