Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Let It Be

  1. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    19,771
    Thanks
    7,410
    Thanked 9,678 Times in 6,103 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    60

    Re: Let It Be

    Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    The Beatles we're great no matter how the haters want to slice it.
    "Haters" Yeah, I hate them so much, I have every Beatles track including the three CD set of studio outtakes.

    Rock music, in general, is not musically complicated. Quincy Jones even had a go at Ringo and the Beatles because he couldn't get the 6/8 jazz time down after a day in the studio when he tried to produce them. Then again, Jazz guys tend to be a little snobbish.

    The Beatles were "great" for a few reasons....musicianship wasn't one of them.

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    19,771
    Thanks
    7,410
    Thanked 9,678 Times in 6,103 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    60

    Re: Let It Be

    Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Yeah, the Beatles were great. You listen to some of their stuff, they rendered genres irrelevant, and cranked out beautifully made music effortless and continuous. There's no real point trying to diminish them. They were fun to listen to, and unpredictable, and intent about it. It's genuinely music for the sake of it. Sum of their parts is the consummate badge of great music. They were that imho.

    There's always this impulse to tear down what doesn't need it. I don't see any reason to diminish them. Enjoy them as much as I always did. Some things are great at face value, like the Beatles imho.
    Critiquing a musical group or piece or performance is not "tearing it down".

    You could then say lavishing praise without merit is "ignorant hype".

    I'm sure you denizens of the Bills' board can appreciate the fact that while you may enjoy and love something, you can still see it's shortcomings....i.e. Your football team.
    Last edited by pmoon6; 02-01-2019 at 03:50 AM.

  3. #23
    Registered User sahlensguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    6,582
    Thanks
    2,764
    Thanked 2,868 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    19

    Re: Let It Be

    Quote Originally Posted by pmoon6 View Post
    "Haters" Yeah, I hate them so much, I have every Beatles track including the three CD set of studio outtakes.

    Rock music, in general, is not musically complicated. Quincy Jones even had a go at Ringo and the Beatles because he couldn't get the 6/8 jazz time down after a day in the studio when he tried to produce them. Then again, Jazz guys tend to be a little snobbish.

    The Beatles were "great" for a few reasons....musicianship wasn't one of them.
    After you said in your reply to YR "I agree mostly", I didn't lump you into the hater category. I thought you had a thread of sensibility. Sorry to disappoint you.

    The Beatles are not just great, they are arguably the greatest band of all time. Knock them down however you may, but they will still be in that discussion.

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    19,771
    Thanks
    7,410
    Thanked 9,678 Times in 6,103 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    60

    Re: Let It Be

    Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    After you said in your reply to YR "I agree mostly", I didn't lump you into the hater category. I thought you had a thread of sensibility. Sorry to disappoint you.

    The Beatles are not just great, they are arguably the greatest band of all time. Knock them down however you may, but they will still be in that discussion.
    Of course, but when you say "greatest band" you have to qualify with regard to genre and also time period. What would George Martin and the Beatles done with a 32 track recording console?? The answer is the same as what would Jimi Hendrix done if he lived past 27. However, it is interesting to wonder about it.

    Were they the greatest Pop band of all time, I would say Yes.....greatest Rock Band, No. Innovators with regards to song writing and recording, of course.

    Besides music is subjective, what moves you may not move me and don't get me wrong, the Beatles did and do move me still.

    I'm also not "knocking them down", the adulation they received was well deserved. They had image, voices, songs, were great in interviews and very likable characters although I think Lennon and McCartney became insufferable moralists after a time.

    That's the trouble with elevating entertainers to Godlike status....any criticism is viewed as heresy.

  5. #25
    Registered User sahlensguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    6,582
    Thanks
    2,764
    Thanked 2,868 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    19

    Re: Let It Be

    Greatest band is the greatest band. Qualifying for genre and time period is like arguing that Babe Ruth was the greatest White baseball player of the pre war era. It could be argued that he was the GOAT period. Same way the Beatles it could be were also the GOAT. Which they were (condolences to The Stones and Zep).

    I don't accuse you of not acknowledging that the Beatles are great, which is why I didn't quote you're post and laugh at it. Not acknowledging it only makes people look biased or stupid or both.

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    19,771
    Thanks
    7,410
    Thanked 9,678 Times in 6,103 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    60

    Re: Let It Be

    Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    Greatest band is the greatest band.
    Okay, if you want to boil it down to a single group, be my guest.

    Some people need to do that.

    Personally, I don't make those kind of judgments with music because it is in the ear of the beholder as is any "top ten" list of greatest artists/songs/guitarists/etc. etc.

    How about this: Their influence on popular music is unparalleled.

  7. #27
    Registered User feldspar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    11,056
    Thanks
    2,174
    Thanked 6,473 Times in 3,765 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    38

    Re: Let It Be

    It's a simple matter of taste in the end.

    Give me the best plate of sauerkraut in the universe, and I'm STILL going to hate it.

  8. #28
    Registered User sahlensguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    6,582
    Thanks
    2,764
    Thanked 2,868 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    19

    Re: Let It Be

    Quote Originally Posted by pmoon6 View Post
    Okay, if you want to boil it down to a single group, be my guest.

    Some people need to do that.

    Personally, I don't make those kind of judgments with music because it is in the ear of the beholder as is any "top ten" list of greatest artists/songs/guitarists/etc. etc.

    How about this: Their influence on popular music is unparalleled.
    Its not a need. I was only trying to make a point to those who attempt to deny their greatness. You don't need to be a fan to acknowledge the great band that they were.

    In the end who cares what music people like (as long as it's good). It's only entertainment after all.

    Here's a guitar collection for sale from one of the greatest guitarists of his time.

    https://youtu.be/_E6mIYNO3So

  9. #29
    Registered User feldspar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    11,056
    Thanks
    2,174
    Thanked 6,473 Times in 3,765 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    38

    Re: Let It Be

    Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    Its not a need. I was only trying to make a point to those who attempt to deny their greatness. You don't need to be a fan to acknowledge the great band that they were.

    In the end who cares what music people like (as long as it's good). It's only entertainment after all.

    Here's a guitar collection for sale from one of the greatest guitarists of his time.

    https://youtu.be/_E6mIYNO3So
    I agree that they were/are great.

    But there are probably at least millions of others who don't care for them at all. There is accounting for that...no accounting for taste.

    Some people love **** that I hate. So I say "OK."

  10. Post thanked by:

    sahlensguy (02-01-2019)

  11. #30
    Zamboni Driver rbochan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Posts
    5,060
    Thanks
    242
    Thanked 485 Times in 312 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    26

    Re: Let It Be

    Wait... Paul was in a band before Wings???
    ...Rob

    The American Dream isn't an SUV and a house in the suburbs;
    it's Don't Tread On Me.

  12. Post thanked by:

    pmoon6 (02-02-2019)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •