Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I want a drone.

Sab and TD are insignificant ublinkwescore's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,470 Times in 990 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: I want a drone.

I asked a question thus implying I'm listening.
    www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 1,940 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ublinkwescore View Post
    I asked a question thus implying I'm listening.
    But GB already told you...

Just to be polite, you have not commented on the responses to your plan to fly it the way you mentioned.
    If you did, you'd crash it in minutes.
    Flying these things indoors is never a good idea, and doing so in property you don't own would be really silly.
    If you weren't familiar with the "fly home" option or any other automatic options it may have, you are almost guaranteed to crash it indoors.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

And this is WITH a solid amount of practice? I'd still crash it with a lot of practice?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 1,940 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

And this is WITH a solid amount of practice? I'd still crash it with a lot of practice?
    Well GB did say he's only tried it indoors. So if you were listening in the first place you would know that he has given you all he can give.

Like I said, in your case it's best to find out for yourself.
    Last edited by sahlensguy; 02-14-2019 at 09:58 AM.

The Meathead of Muslims! ticatfan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,930 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Should be outlawed.
    Women experience interactions different than men”.

PM Trudeau on the alleged groping incident.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 718 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

So you are saying that if I fly it indoors, I will inevitably crash it?

- - - Updated - - -

Even with a decent amount of practice flying it indoors?
    I don't think you know how these things work.

You are not actually flying it, though you will think you are.
    These are totally GPS and compass reliant.
    You have two stick controllers, but what you are inputting are "suggestions."

If you try to fly it indoors, in an industrial building, as you stated, it is very likely the GPS will be significantly degraded.
    You're proposal is for a relatively cheap drone, but it probably will tell you its GPS status. That can change rapidly when indoors.
    Same with compass issues. There are myriad electric components, even when not active, in a building, and that will significantly degrade your ability to control it.
    Lastly, your's has a "fly home" option. That means that it will update its launch point, using GPS, and if the fly home mode is activated, and it would be, automatically, and beyond your control for a number of reasons, it will first climb to the fly home altitude you have programmed.

Guess what happens when you have, let's ay 50 meters programmed in the fly home area, and yours has no "up" collision avoidance?
    It will instantaneously climb until it crashes into the ceiling, which will take less that a few seconds, and far quicker than it will respond to your stop climb command.
    It is hilarious how often this happens.

What do you think its going to do if it loses controller signal indoors, which happens pretty regularly and I'm guessing with your $500 special, a lot?

By the way, that map I linked you to. Controlled airspace begins at the surface until you are well north of the river.
    Get caught flying in there without ATC authorization and your looking at a multi thousand dollar fine.
    Drones are noisy. People are going to know you're doing it.

I just got home from a real estate pic job with mine, and I'll tell you, they are challenging. Mine has for/aft and bottom collision avoidance, and I get it into many tight spaces because of trees, and having to take the right shot of a house.
    On the other hand, if all you want to do is fly it around, or sometimes chase deer away from a vineyard, which I do pretty often, they are fun.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

What would you recommend for an easy to fly drone for a beginner? Is there one that would make navigating inside buildings easier?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

What would you recommend for an easy to fly drone for a beginner? Is there one that would make navigating inside buildings easier?
    I'll tell you what I did, and I wouldn't do it again, because it was a waste of time.
    Like you, I thought I could learn how to fly one of these things, and I've been getting paid pretty good money for flying airplanes for 40 years.

So, I took a recommendation and bought a $30 drone to learn how to fly it.
    Got it out of the box, took off in the seven acre meadow in front of my house and it was completely uncontrollable in anything over 5 knots of wind, and I think I kind of know what I'm doing.
    Anyway, I managed to not crash it for a few days but realized it was a stupid exercise.

I bought the drone I wanted, a DJI Mavic Pro, and learned how to fly it, which is largely learning the various flight modes, but for me, largely learning to run the camera.
    Again, you are not really flying these things.
    They are totally GPS reliant.
    Thus, your plan to fly one indoors is a really bad idea.

I really enjoy the Mavic forum and the way people crash these things immediately.
    One of my favorites is the classic "boat" launch plan.

Guy buys one, gets it out of the box and charges all the batteries up.
    Gets on a little boat. Has it takeoff, and it reports that the takeoff point has been updated.
    Screws a few thing up and the thing goes into "fly home" mode, which he doesn't even see, because it is really hard to see.
    Thng flies to the takeoff point, which is now 50' behind the boat, because the boat has been moving, and lands in the ocean.
    $1100, seven minutes.

There are scores of crashes resulting from plans such as yours to fly it indoors.
    Its an ongoing joke.

They need GPS. They need constant controller communication and they need accurate compass information.
    And.......They really need no ceilings.

In addition, you really need to learn the rules about flying them, because the FAA owns all the airspace from the ground up. In many cases it isn't "controlled" until 700 or 1200 feet, but unless you know what you are doing, you are waving a multi thousand dollar check around.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

For emphasis.

It doesn't matter what you buy.

Don't operate it indoors.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Forgot to mention this.
    You said it was necessary to have 30 minute battery life.
    Nobody has just one battery.
    I have three. If I'm doing something, I have them all charged up.
    The remaining battery power is displayed, and once it hits 35% I get an additional message, land it and swap batteries.
    Takes about ten seconds.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Gameboy....how high can a drone fly? How far away from the person controlling it can they go? The idea of using a drone to scout out potential hunting areas in the mountains is sort of intriguing to me. Sure would be easier to send a drone up to look for possible areas to set a base camp up than to trudge up the side of a 8000 ft tall mountain.
    You are the result of 3.8 billion years of evolutionary success....act like it!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Wild Man View Post
    Gameboy....how high can a drone fly? How far away from the person controlling it can they go? The idea of using a drone to scout out potential hunting areas in the mountains is sort of intriguing to me. Sure would be easier to send a drone up to look for possible areas to set a base camp up than to trudge up the side of a 8000 ft tall mountain.
    Obviously, it depends on the drone.
    For a bit less than a thousand bucks, you can get one that will get to 1500' above takeoff point easily.
    Regarding your 8000' mountain question, you are obviously talking mean sea level, not height above takeoff point.

No small drones have the battery capacity to climb to 8000' above launch point. and come back.
    They can go quite a distance from the controller, easily a half mile.

A few caveats.
    While they have the capability, it is not legal to fly one 400' above the ground, nor out of visual range. Legally, you must be able to see the thing at all times.
    Thus, capability far exceeds legal restrictions.
    I use a tablet to fly mine, so I am almost never looking at it, I am simply seeing its camera image on a 7" tablet, but I always know where it is.

By the way, you can also use them to "deliver" bait to tough to reach casts if fishing.
    Last edited by Captain gameboy; 02-15-2019 at 03:11 PM.

The Meathead of Muslims! ticatfan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,930 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Captain gameboy View Post
    Obviously, it depends on the drone.
    For a bit less than a thousand bucks, you can get one that will get to 1500' above takeoff point easily.
    Regarding your 8000' mountain question, you are obviously talking mean sea level, not height above takeoff point.

No small drones have the battery capacity to climb to 8000' above launch point. and come back.
    They can go quite a distance from the controller, easily a half mile.

A few caveats.
    While they have the capability, it is not legal to fly one 400' above the ground, nor out of visual range. Legally, you must be able to see the thing at all times.
    Thus, capability far exceeds legal restrictions.
    I use a tablet to fly mine, so I am almost never looking at it, I am simply seeing its camera image on a 7" tablet, but I always know where it is.

By the way, you can also use them to "deliver" bait to tough to reach casts if fishing.
    Cheating are we. Cant catch a fish without technology. Poachers love them also.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ticatfan View Post
    Cheating are we. Cant catch a fish without technology. Poachers love them also.
    Renting a boat is the same thing.

Just less hassle and more green.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You are correct, mean sea level. I was concerned about altitude density limitations. I used to do quite a bit of helicopter flying for work and our load calcs went all to hell as the temperature and altitude in the mountains went up.

Thanks
    Thanked 20,218 Times in 11,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think you Negative Nancies need to tone it down a little bit. As far as I know we've never had a member who posted regularly from inside prison and you're restricting blink's possibility of breaking new ground.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
    2019 Mock
    -------------
    #9---OT Andre Dillard (DT ED OLIVER) #40---DT Dexter Lawrence (OT Dalton Risner) #74---RB David Montgomery
    #112---WR Jakobi Meyers #131---OT Bobby Evans #147---TE Drew Sample #158---LB Sutton Smith
    #181---CB Blace Brown #225---DE/LB Shareef Miller #228---CB Mark Fields

17. Post thanked by:

DraftBoy (02-16-2019)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,273 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    I think you Negative Nancies need to tone it down a little bit. As far as I know we've never had a member who posted regularly from inside prison and you're restricting blink's possibility of breaking new ground.
    They will call him the Birdman of Cincinnati.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Wild Man View Post
    You are correct, mean sea level. I was concerned about altitude density limitations. I used to do quite a bit of helicopter flying for work and our load calcs went all to hell as the temperature and altitude in the mountains went up.
    Generally, density altitude wouldn't be the problem.
    If all someone was interested in was getting to a higher altitude, 3000' above ground level would not be a problem for a $1000 drone.
    Other issues would be more concerning.
    You would be far into the battery life when you got there, so not much you could do.
    The winds can easily become a factor exceeding the drone's capability once you get significantly above the ground.
    A frequent crash cause is that someone who doesn't understand this will takeoff, fly downwind without really knowing it, then, when bringing it back it is now in a headwind and the groundspeed goes to near zero while the battery is running out.
    Once it hits a critical batter level, it will auto land wherever it is.
    Not so great if that's in a wooded area or a lake/ocean.

The requirement is to keep it within visual line of site. That doesn't mean you have to stare at it. You are almost always looking at the tablet displayed camera signal, but you do have to have it in visual line of site. These things are not that big, and once you get a bit of distance, you can have trouble seeing it.

The Victimizer CommissarSpartacus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,522 Times in 11,893 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

boisterous hubris, arrogance, self deception, conspiracy, mud slinging mixed with a heavy dose of self righteousness.

21. Post thanked by:

ublinkwescore (02-16-2019)