Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Another thread that doesn't belong in the NFL Zone : No Triple Crown winner this year

  1. #1
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    15,084
    Thanks
    685
    Thanked 3,273 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    47

    Talking Another thread that doesn't belong in the NFL Zone : No Triple Crown winner this year

    "After being declared the winner of the Kentucky Derby by disqualification, Country House will not run in the Preakness, ending any chance this year at another Triple Crown.

    Assistant trainer Riley Mott confirmed to The Associated Press on Tuesday that the long shot winner of horse racing's biggest event is no longer being considered to run in the second jewel of the Triple Crown. Country House was elevated to the winner's circle at the Kentucky Derby on Saturday after Maximum Security was disqualified for impeding other horses."...

    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ness/39456069/
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

  2. #2
    Visually stunning but camera-shy.
    Cntrygal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    In the Black Hills
    Posts
    32,880
    Thanks
    1,824
    Thanked 479 Times in 319 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    115

    Re: Another thread that doesn't belong in the NFL Zone : No Triple Crown winner this



    (I've been thinking about suggesting a name change to include all other sports )
    For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

  3. #3
    Visually stunning but camera-shy.
    Cntrygal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    In the Black Hills
    Posts
    32,880
    Thanks
    1,824
    Thanked 479 Times in 319 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    115

    Re: Another thread that doesn't belong in the NFL Zone : No Triple Crown winner this

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    "After being declared the winner of the Kentucky Derby by disqualification, Country House will not run in the Preakness, ending any chance this year at another Triple Crown.

    Assistant trainer Riley Mott confirmed to The Associated Press on Tuesday that the long shot winner of horse racing's biggest event is no longer being considered to run in the second jewel of the Triple Crown. Country House was elevated to the winner's circle at the Kentucky Derby on Saturday after Maximum Security was disqualified for impeding other horses."...

    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ness/39456069/

    Wow! If the illness is true, at least the owner is looking after his investment (long-term).

  4. #4
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    15,084
    Thanks
    685
    Thanked 3,273 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    47

    Re: Another thread that doesn't belong in the NFL Zone : No Triple Crown winner this

    Quote Originally Posted by Cntrygal View Post


    (I've been thinking about suggesting a name change to include all other sports )
    There already is one. The zone sports bar.

    Personally, I'd dump the no TOS Zone and replace it with a consumer forum to talk about the practical things in life. Hard to think that people would pick fights there but of course we never know.
    Last edited by stuckincincy; 05-07-2019 at 04:24 PM.

  5. Post thanked by:

    Cntrygal (05-07-2019)

  6. #5
    Visually stunning but camera-shy.
    Cntrygal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    In the Black Hills
    Posts
    32,880
    Thanks
    1,824
    Thanked 479 Times in 319 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    115

    Re: Another thread that doesn't belong in the NFL Zone : No Triple Crown winner this

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    There already is one. The zone sports bar.

    Personally, I'd dump the no TOS Zone and replace it with a consumer forum to talk about the practical things in life. Hard to think that people would pick fights there but of course we never know.

    I completely forgot about the Sports Bar...

  7. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    4,383
    Thanks
    880
    Thanked 3,033 Times in 1,604 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    26

    Re: Another thread that doesn't belong in the NFL Zone : No Triple Crown winner this

    That is one smart horse. He isn't sick, his coughs are just sarcasm because he knows he didn't win the race. It seems every time someone introduces him as the Kentucky Derby winner, he gives one of those sarcastic coughs. Proof is that if there's any tape of the horse coughing if you listen closely you'll hear someone in the barn say "Here's the Derby champ" Next thing you hear is Country House coughing and listen real closely because within the cough is the word "bull##it"
    Last edited by Albany,n.y.; 05-07-2019 at 05:57 PM.

  8. #7
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    15,084
    Thanks
    685
    Thanked 3,273 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    47

    Re: Another thread that doesn't belong in the NFL Zone : No Triple Crown winner this

    Quote Originally Posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
    That is one smart horse. He isn't sick, his coughs are just sarcasm because he knows he didn't win the race. It seems every time someone introduces him as the Kentucky Derby winner, he gives one of those sarcastic coughs. Proof is that if there's any tape of the horse coughing if you listen closely you'll hear someone in the barn say "Here's the Derby champ" Next thing you hear is Country House coughing and listen real closely because within the cough is the word "bull##it"
    Sounds like he cost you money...

  9. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    4,383
    Thanks
    880
    Thanked 3,033 Times in 1,604 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    26

    Re: Another thread that doesn't belong in the NFL Zone : No Triple Crown winner this

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    Sounds like he cost you money...
    No, I keyed on 3 horses, none involved in the controversy (Tacitus, Game Winner & Spinoff), so I had no $ on the line whatever the stewards decided. I feel that the stewards did not follow Kentucky Derby tradition which is let just about anything go. This is a unique race with, as you mentioned, too many horses. Because they allow up to 20 horses in the race (there were 19 this year), they can't treat it the same as a typical field. Even the Breeder's Cup classic is limited to 14 horses. If you're going to have that many horses in the race, you're going to have more bumping and interference than a normal race. For 144 years and more recently when field size increased to where it's 19-20 horses every year now, the Derby never had a horse who won DQd for interference. I've seen numerous horses every year wiped out by another horse in the Derby without a hint that anyone would ever have their placing questioned in this race. The fact that there was no original stewards inquiry, that it took so long to decide and most importantly the racing community is so split on the decision is a pretty good indication that there is doubt cast on the decision. A disqualification should never be a questionable decision that could go either way. This was almost like a tie except for the 3 stooges in the stewards office.

    Compare this with the NFC championship game. Most of us had no real rooting interest in whether the Saints or Rams won, yet it's almost unanimous that Robey-Coleman should have been called for a penalty. That bad decision was much more clear cut than this, but a lot of us can empathise with the poor Saints fans. I can empathise with the owners, trainer & the ones who bet this horse. He was the best horse on the track and he was put down to 17th. To me that's a travesty considering how much of a split decision among the most knowledgeble horse people it was after reading & listening to the reaction of jockeys, the horse media & trainers. Ironically, most of the jockeys I've heard talk about it (I listened to a racing show Monday & Tuesday on Sirius XM and read a lot of stories & posts on racing message boards) are against the ruling. Most of the trainers, many who have never ridden in a race are for the DQ. The media is pretty split on the decision. The fact that the jockeys are in the majority not to DQ I feel is most significant since they're the ones with the best 1st hand knowledge.

  10. Post thanked by:

    Cntrygal (05-09-2019)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •