Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Alabama Lawmakers Vote to Effectively Ban Abortion in the State

Thanks
    Thanked 5,325 Times in 3,193 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Alabama Lawmakers Vote to Effectively Ban Abortion in the State

Oh...you are correct though that the HYPOCRISY of the Catholic church "should force an action"....by leaving the church....and they are doing it in increasing numbers....more than any other religion.

Dumber than the average blonde :-) Blondie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,135 Times in 4,990 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Captain gameboy View Post
    How can someone who claims to be Catholic repeatedly post not Catholic views?
    At some point, the hypocrisy should force an action.
    This doesn't make him a hypocrite.
    Life is Good ~ Uppy

3. Post thanked by:

notacon (05-20-2019)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie View Post
    This doesn't make him a hypocrite.
    Exactly. Bitching at other people to follow one's morals (usually religiously based ones) but not following those demands in one's own life is "hypocrisy".

I may not be a practicing Catholic anymore, because I don't go to church and follow the church's dictates....but I still consider myself a "Catholic" and still basically live my life closely hewn to Christ's teachings. And the REAL Jesus Christ's words and actions, not some people's warped interpretation of the same.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,470 Times in 8,174 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Just an incredibly obvious question, and one I thought would have been asked years ago.

Why are you a Catholic?
    Born, raised and confirmed Catholic, as well as advised a former Bishop of Buffalo for six years.

I'm still a Catholic, in hopes that with each passing Pope, the church will be dragged into the 21st century, before it finally implodes.

Much the same reasons why I still live in America, despite the crap it has done in my name over the last 20 years.

Everything you post here is insulting and contradictory to that faith.
    So who are you to judge?

6. Post thanked by:

Blondie (Yesterday),notacon (05-20-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,147 Times in 685 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    Born, raised and confirmed Catholic, as well as advised a former Bishop of Buffalo for six years.

I'm still a Catholic, in hopes that with each passing Pope, the church will be dragged into the 21st century, before it finally implodes.

Much the same reasons why I still live in America, despite the crap it has done in my name over the last 20 years.

So who are you to judge?
    Not judging anything.
    As a kid who was raised in South Buffalo, with a Catholic school education through high school, it is impossible to not notice that nearly everything you post is contrary to Catholic doctrine.

I left that church when I could no longer support the stuff it included, and I can name a bunch of things, the same evolution that led to the Protestant movement.

It is just obviously incongruous that someone who claims to be something posts repeatedly in contrast to it.
    Pretty much every day.

That is not judgement.
    It is observation, and observation of the obvious.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Not judging anything.
    it is impossible to not notice that nearly everything you post is contrary to Catholic doctrine.
    I disagree, and you're going to have to give me specific examples.....outside of the abortion debate.

I believe in the church's missionary efforts, be it feeding the homeless domestically, or sending clothes to South America.

I believe in attending mass as regularly as possible, and donating to the plate.

I believe in the sacraments. Each one of my children have been to confession, made their communion, and asked for confirmation in the church.

I believe in the Pope, and have had greatly admired Francis, as well as JP II for thieir efforts.

I've been a Eucharistic Minister at every mass I have attended for 14 years, and sit on our parish council, which really does not meet much, TBH.

To me, the most important thing the church, as well as the Jesuits focus on, is social justice.

Sorry if that subject runs contrary to the republican, or conservative party lines, but in my estimation, those efforts, along with the MASSIVE social safety net, are all that's still holding this country together.

The only thing I do not believe in as far as the RC Church is concerned, are the priests. They should have been given the right to marry, and have families during the Vatican II reforms.

Nuns, and Deacons (some of which live holier lives than the priests) should be allowed to serve mass, and consecrate the eucharist. It was a grave mistake by Rome, and if not corrected, will result in the church going under, simply because there are not enough priests to go around. Even in WNY, you have a couple examples of one priest administering two or more parishes. I consider our pastor young and dynamic....and he's 64 years old.

I also don't care for the way the abusive priests were simply shuffled around back in the day. The church is addressing the issue....finally...but it's too little, and WAY too late.

So to answer your question, the short is, I believe in the church's core mission, and you have to be in it, to change what's wrong with it.

9. Post thanked by:

Blondie (Yesterday),notacon (Yesterday)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    I disagree, and you're going to have to give me specific examples.....outside of the abortion debate.

I believe in the church's missionary efforts, be it feeding the homeless domestically, or sending clothes to South America.

I believe in attending mass as regularly as possible, and donating to the plate.

I believe in the sacraments. Each one of my children have been to confession, made their communion, and asked for confirmation in the church.

I believe in the Pope, and have had greatly admired Francis, as well as JP II for thieir efforts.

I've been a Eucharistic Minister at every mass I have attended for 14 years, and sit on our parish council, which really does not meet much, TBH.

To me, the most important thing the church, as well as the Jesuits focus on, is social justice.

Sorry if that subject runs contrary to the republican, or conservative party lines, but in my estimation, those efforts, along with the MASSIVE social safety net, are all that's still holding this country together.

The only thing I do not believe in as far as the RC Church is concerned, are the priests. They should have been given the right to marry, and have families during the Vatican II reforms.

Nuns, and Deacons (some of which live holier lives than the priests) should be allowed to serve mass, and consecrate the eucharist. It was a grave mistake by Rome, and if not corrected, will result in the church going under, simply because there are not enough priests to go around. Even in WNY, you have a couple examples of one priest administering two or more parishes. I consider our pastor young and dynamic....and he's 64 years old.

I also don't care for the way the abusive priests were simply shuffled around back in the day. The church is addressing the issue....finally...but it's too little, and WAY too late.

So to answer your question, the short is, I believe in the church's core mission, and you have to be in it, to change what's wrong with it.
    Except for "attending mass as regularly as possible" I can agree with everything you write, and I live that every day (except for "I've been a Eucharistic Minister at every mass I have attended for 14 years, and sit on our parish council")

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    Except for "attending mass as regularly as possible" I can agree with everything you write, and I live that every day
    Bills home games and travel hockey has stretched that to the limit, but I still do my best to attend.

It's an hour of peaceful reflection that I actually enjoy, lol.

12. Post thanked by:

notacon (Today)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

14. Post thanked by:

Dr. Lecter (Yesterday)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,867 Times in 5,357 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If a woman has a miscarriage, I wonder if the police will put yellow tape around her womb and treat her body as a potential crime scene until they can rule out the possibility of an abortion? Now if you get pregnant, a female's body is property of the government for the duration of the pregnancy. So much for the right-wing creed "get yer gubmint outta mah life!!!"

It's insane.

But that's Republicans for you. Unthinking, uncaring, hateful, petty - and as always - the most willfully misinformed people on planet earth.

"Evolution in reverse" should be the GOP's motto.
    Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

16. Post thanked by:

Blondie (Yesterday),coastal (Yesterday),Dr. Lecter (Yesterday),Haile SpikedLemonade (Yesterday),Historian (Yesterday),JATMtheJATM (Yesterday)

Raging hypocrite and resident troll
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,289 Times in 3,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMama View Post
    If a woman has a miscarriage, I wonder if the police will put yellow tape around her womb and treat her body as a potential crime scene until they can rule out the possibility of an abortion? Now if you get pregnant, a female's body is property of the government for the duration of the pregnancy.
    Every woman knows a female's body is the property of the fetus for the duration of the pregnancy.

Patti

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Discotrish View Post
    Every woman knows a female's body is the property of the fetus for the duration of the pregnancy.

Patti

My BODY is not YOUR property to decide what to do with it. So please don;t speak for me ever again.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie View Post
    My BODY is not YOUR property to decide what to do with it. So please don;t speak for me ever again.
    Did you get that MMR booster shot yet?

Patti

Zero for Zero!
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,801 Times in 6,526 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Patti
    The difference is, people without vaccinations can make other people sick by spreading disease.

So it is not close to the same thing

But you try to make these issues equal when there are not much in common.
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Patti
    sure did .. how about you?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
    The difference is, people without vaccinations can make other people sick by spreading disease.

So it is not close to the same thing

But you try to make these issues equal when there are not much in common.
    My body my choice seems to imply "my body my choice."

Patti

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

My body my choice seems to imply "my body my choice."

Patti
    This is such a false equivalence.