Thread: Alabama Lawmakers Vote to Effectively Ban Abortion in the State

Thanks
    Thanked 14,238 Times in 6,736 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Alabama Lawmakers Vote to Effectively Ban Abortion in the State

Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

2. Post thanked by:

ckg927 (05-16-2019),coastal (05-16-2019),Historian (05-16-2019),Lucidvizion (05-16-2019),SupremeParentHater (05-16-2019),Swiper (05-16-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 14,238 Times in 6,736 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie View Post
    So what!?!
    I think he was just pointing out the time frame on the bill

Thanks
    Thanked 8,938 Times in 6,025 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Outlawing abortion is not going to stop abortions. We've been through this discussion ad nauseum. It will just drive them underground. The women legislators passing these bills are not excused for either being clueless or purely playing partisan politics. See what Milla Jovovich went through...

View this post on Instagram

I don’t like to get political and I try to only do it if a really have to and this is one of those times. If someone doesn’t want to continue reading, you have been warned. Our rights as women to obtain safe abortions by experienced doctors are again at stake. Last Tuesday, Georgia Governor Brian Kemp signed a draconian bill into law that outlaws all abortions after six weeks — before most women even realize they’re pregnant — including in cases of RAPE OR INCEST. This makes Georgia the sixth state to pass such a restrictive six-week abortion ban, joining Ohio, Mississippi, Kentucky, Iowa, and North Dakota. These laws haven’t been passed yet, but lawmakers in these states are trying. Abortion is hard enough for women on an emotional level without having to go through it in potentially unsafe and unsanitary conditions. I myself went through an emergency abortion 2 years ago. I was 4 1/2 months pregnant and shooting on location in Eastern Europe. I went into pre term labor and told that I had to be awake for the whole procedure. It was one of the most horrific experiences I have ever gone through. I still have nightmares about it. I was alone and helpless. When I think about the fact that women might have to face abortions in even worse conditions than I did because of new laws, my stomach turns. I spiraled into one of the worst depressions of my life and had to work extremely hard to find my way out. I took time off of my career. I isolated myself for months and had to keep a strong face for my two amazing kids. I started gardening, eating healthier and going to the gym everyday because I didn’t want to jump into taking anti depressants unless I had tried every other alternative. Thank God I was able to find my way out of that personal hell without turning to medication, but the memory of what I went through and what I lost will be with me till the day I die. Abortion is a nightmare at its best. No woman wants to go through that. But we have to fight to make sure our rights are preserved to obtain a safe one if we need to. I never wanted to speak about this experience. But I cannot remain silent when so much is at stake. #prochoice #prochoicegeneration

A post shared by Milla Jovovich (@millajovovich) on

Welcome to Buffalo Carter Hutton

5. Post thanked by:

Blondie (05-16-2019),coastal (05-16-2019),Dr. Lecter (05-16-2019),Haile SpikedLemonade (05-16-2019),SupremeParentHater (05-16-2019)

Co-Captain, Team Pink! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,425 Times in 8,728 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

7. Post thanked by:

coastal (05-16-2019),Dr. Lecter (05-16-2019),Haile SpikedLemonade (05-16-2019),Lucidvizion (05-16-2019),Swiper (05-16-2019)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

9. Post thanked by:

Blondie (05-16-2019),Haile SpikedLemonade (05-16-2019)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

11. Post thanked by:

Haile SpikedLemonade (05-16-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 990 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

One step closer to the “Handmaiden’s Tail” becoming a reality. Can’t believe this “law” was actually passed. Women should have the right to do whatever the **** they want with their lives.

13. Post thanked by:

Blondie (05-16-2019),ckg927 (05-16-2019),coastal (05-16-2019),Dr. Lecter (05-16-2019),Historian (05-16-2019),JATMtheJATM (05-16-2019)

Dumber than the average blonde :-) Blondie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,412 Times in 5,197 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jamze132 View Post
    One step closer to the “Handmaiden’s Tail” becoming a reality. Can’t believe this “law” was actually passed. Women should have the right to do whatever the **** they want with their lives.
    It's really weird how these asshats want to regulate women's bodies, but not assault rifles that kill people.
    My Mistake ~~ Sparty

Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 9,493 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

So what!?!
    I don't want to speak to ckg's point, but the sponsors of the bills specifically said "their intent was to trigger litigation that could lead to a challenge of abortion rights nationally" per the Birmingham News. Which means the delayed implementation was put in place to allow the courts to rule before anybody was affected by the change. I'm not sharing that to say it makes the bill better, if anything it makes it worse imo, but there is a point to the 6 month delay.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

16. Post thanked by:

Blondie (05-16-2019),ckg927 (05-16-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 9,493 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

A lot of conservative commentators are concerned that the most recent laws in multiple states are too extreme and will actually hurt the chances of Roe being overturned. One theory for this is that everybody expects the circuit court of appeals of block the laws and the SCOTUS to hear an appeal, but with these laws being so radical SCOTUS may pass on granting writ and that would be a massive protection of precedent for the Roe ruling.

I'm not sure how much I buy into that considering you only need 4 justices to agree to grant writ. I can't see a scenario right now where Thomas, Alito, Gorsuch and Kavanaugh don't vote to grant writ.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    I don't want to speak to ckg's point, but the sponsors of the bills specifically said "their intent was to trigger litigation that could lead to a challenge of abortion rights nationally" per the Birmingham News. Which means the delayed implementation was put in place to allow the courts to rule before anybody was affected by the change. I'm not sharing that to say it makes the bill better, if anything it makes it worse imo, but there is a point to the 6 month delay.
    I am just furious about this bill, and the other states that are also passing them.

All I can hope for at this point, is that Republicans become their own worst enemy.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    A lot of conservative commentators are concerned that the most recent laws in multiple states are too extreme and will actually hurt the chances of Roe being overturned. One theory for this is that everybody expects the circuit court of appeals of block the laws and the SCOTUS to hear an appeal, but with these laws being so radical SCOTUS may pass on granting writ and that would be a massive protection of precedent for the Roe ruling.

I'm not sure how much I buy into that considering you only need 4 justices to agree to grant writ. I can't see a scenario right now where Thomas, Alito, Gorsuch and Kavanaugh don't vote to grant writ.
    For ALL the Republicans who supported this guy, and are pro-choice, I sure hope he sticks to his stance on Roe and that he would be committed to following the precedent that was established "faithfully and fully" ...

Raging hypocrite and resident troll Discotrish's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,368 Times in 3,109 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I am just furious about this bill, and the other states that are also passing them.

All I can hope for at this point, is that Republicans become their own worst enemy.
    I am curious, since we've discussed this topic on and off over the years. As a pro-choicer do you have a compromise position on this issue vis a vis prolifers' concerns?

What would your compromise be?

Patti

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Discotrish View Post
    I am curious, since we've discussed this topic on and off over the years. As a pro-choicer do you have a compromise position on this issue vis a vis prolifers' concerns?

What would your compromise be?

Patti
    Mind your own business, that's my compromise.

22. Post thanked by:

coastal (05-16-2019),Historian (05-16-2019),JATMtheJATM (05-16-2019)

Raging hypocrite and resident troll Discotrish's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,368 Times in 3,109 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Mind your own business, that's my compromise.
    I'm talking about a political compromise. For a long time my thinking on the topic was along the lines of what Alabama just did. However as the prospect of changing laws actually became more feasible, not just a pipe dream, it occurred to me that we needed to think about what it would be "reasonable" to do, a law that would actually work and make sense in this country.

You obviously think the law that just passed is unreasonable. It's also a law I don't think works.

So what would your compromise law be?

Patti

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'm talking about a political compromise. For a long time my thinking on the topic was along the lines of what Alabama just did. However as the prospect of changing laws actually became more feasible, not just a pipe dream, it occurred to me that we needed to think about what it would be "reasonable" to do, a law that would actually work and make sense in this country.

You obviously think the law that just passed is unreasonable. It's also a law I don't think works.

Patti
    Mind your own business.

Plain and simple.

Politicians should not be making these decisions for women. Period.

Leave these decisions between the woman and her doctor.

LETS GO BLUE!
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,972 Times in 7,298 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Compromise would be teach better sex ed and better accessibility (free) to contraceptives. Also, stop treating planned parenthood as an abortion factory and actually do your homework on the organization (abortion is less than 3 percent of what they do)

You want compromise? First, you're going to have to shed your ignorance

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    Compromise would be teach better sex ed and better accessibility (free) to contraceptives. Also, stop treating planned parenthood as an abortion factory and actually do your homework on the organization (abortion is less than 3 percent of what they do)

You want compromise? First, you're going to have to shed your ignorance
    Seeing she supports Alabama, why even bother??

People like Patti don't want compromise.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Patti
    This post cracks me up ... Patti has ALWAYS wanted a bill like this passed, now it has been, and now she is asking for a compromise..

Ya know what Patti, you are getting what YOU wanted.

Deal with it .. and you better start adopting babies from Alabama, and you better start paying money is taxes to feed them, shelter them, and educate them.

This is what YOU have wanted ...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

29. Post thanked by:

Blondie (05-16-2019),Dr. Lecter (05-16-2019),jamze132 (05-16-2019),Swiper (05-16-2019)