Thread: Gil Brandt’s 5 teams that had the best offseasons

Registered User Son of Flying Pig's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Gil Brandt’s 5 teams that had the best offseasons

3) Buffalo Bills

The 2018 Bills carried more than $50 million in dead money in anticipation of retooling the roster this offseason, and the team followed through on its plans. Signees Mitch Morse, Spencer Long and Ty Nsekhe and rookie Cody Ford (drafted No. 38 overall) will upgrade the offensive line, while veterans Cole Beasley, John Brown and Andre Roberts will do the same for the pass-catching corps. The ageless Frank Gore and rookie Devin Singletary (No. 74), meanwhile, were brought in to help bolster the LeSean McCoy-led ground attack. Those additions were all designed to give quarterback Josh Allen a better chance of growing in his second NFL season.
    On defense, the first-round selection of Ed Oliver (No. 9) should help make up for the retirement of six-time Pro Bowler Kyle Williams. Yes, the Bills just recorded their 11th losing season in the last 15, but this team was surprisingly feisty at times in '18, upsetting the Vikings in Week 3 and finishing with the second-stingiest defense in terms of yards allowed. All of Buffalo's moves, combined with rebuilding projects going on with the Dolphins and Jets, mean anything less than a playoff appearance will count as a disappointment.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001030895/article/best-nfl-offseasons-of-2019-browns-raiders-head-list

2. Post thanked by:

Historian (05-18-2019),MitchMurrayDowntown (05-16-2019),The last buffalo fan (05-17-2019)

Skoobasaurus-Rex MitchMurrayDowntown's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,983 Times in 2,834 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Gil Brandt’s 5 teams that had the best offseasons

So we can’t lose.

Sab and TD are insignificant ublinkwescore's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 938 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If we had just a little more offense, we would have split with new England. Our defense gives the pats trouble. It's our inability to move the ball last season that did us in. We should be significantly better in that department now.
    www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

5. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (05-17-2019)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ublinkwescore View Post
    If we had just a little more offense, we would have split with new England. Our defense gives the pats trouble. It's our inability to move the ball last season that did us in. We should be significantly better in that department now.
    *** bitterness-on *** Unfortunately, the Pats always seem to find a way to win (i.e cheat!)... >< ... *** bitterness-off ***

Here's hoping that the Bills finally find a way to beat the Pats (w/ Brady). I'll be overjoyed if we crush them at least once this year! Go Bills!

7. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,935 Times in 6,812 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Kaziganth View Post
    *** bitterness-on *** Unfortunately, the Pats always seem to find a way to win (i.e cheat!)... >< ... *** bitterness-off ***

Here's hoping that the Bills finally find a way to beat the Pats (w/ Brady). I'll be overjoyed if we crush them at least once this year! Go Bills!
    Last year on MNF was the time to do it.

National crowd.

I was there.

But no.....

It will be a good measuring stick to see how we do this year in week 4 at home against them compared to week 8 MNF where they beat us easily 25-6 with us not even scoring a TD.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Haile SpikedLemonade View Post
    Last year on MNF was the time to do it.

National crowd.

I was there.

But no.....

It will be a good measuring stick to see how we do this year in week 4 at home against them compared to week 8 MNF where they beat us easily 25-6 with us not even scoring a TD.
    If I remember correctly, that MNF game was relatively close until the third or fourth quarter when the Pats started scoring more and we didn't answer with any points. As was the case last year -- especially during the first half of the season -- we had a lot of trouble scoring. I'm cautiously optimistic that this year will be different. I'm not gonna feel much better though if we lose 28-21 this year instead of losing 25-6. =/ So, I'll play the role of Captain Obvious, and say: We need to win!

10. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,935 Times in 6,812 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Kaziganth View Post
    If I remember correctly, that MNF game was relatively close until the third or fourth quarter when the Pats started scoring more and we didn't answer with any points. As was the case last year -- especially during the first half of the season -- we had a lot of trouble scoring. I'm cautiously optimistic that this year will be different. I'm not gonna feel much better though if we lose 28-21 this year instead of losing 25-6. =/ So, I'll play the role of Captain Obvious, and say: We need to win!
    It is NOT a must win since I hope to be 3-0 going into that game after beating the Jets, the Giants and the Bengals.

It's soooo embarrassing YardRat's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,832 Times in 11,097 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm pretty happy with the Bills' off-season. Everybody knew they needed to address the offensive lie, the WR's, add some more weapons and replace KW...and that's exactly what they did. Pretty hard to find something to bitch about.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
    2019 Mock
    -------------
    #9---OT Andre Dillard (DT ED OLIVER) #40---DT Dexter Lawrence (OT Dalton Risner) #74---RB David Montgomery
    #112---WR Jakobi Meyers #131---OT Bobby Evans #147---TE Drew Sample #158---LB Sutton Smith
    #181---CB Blace Brown #225---DE/LB Shareef Miller #228---CB Mark Fields

13. Post thanked by:

Historian (05-18-2019),Night Train (05-17-2019),Thurmal (05-17-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,389 Times in 4,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Pretty hard to find something to bitch about.

Take that back !
    "You hate the idea that you're wasting your youth, but you stood in the background until you got older"

15. Post thanked by:

ublinkwescore (05-17-2019),YardRat (05-17-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,245 Times in 855 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The was literally the first time in 20 years I can remember a Bills brain trust aggressively attempting to fix the offensive line, so I'm thrilled.

I still shudder to think of some of the teams we had during the drought who were all-world at virtually every position, and couldn't sniff the postseason b/c the line absolutely sucked, i.e. the entire Donahoe era.
    "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

17. Post thanked by:

Haile SpikedLemonade (05-18-2019),Historian (05-18-2019),ublinkwescore (05-17-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,940 Times in 926 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Thurmal View Post
    The was literally the first time in 20 years I can remember a Bills brain trust aggressively attempting to fix the offensive line, so I'm thrilled.

I still shudder to think of some of the teams we had during the drought who were all-world at virtually every position, and couldn't sniff the postseason b/c the line absolutely sucked, i.e. the entire Donahoe era.
    Well we did give giant contracts to Dockery and Langston Walker in one offseason... hopefully we invested better this time around.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOSman WINS
    Vanek is Austrian not European
    Quote Originally Posted by Prov401
    Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
    Quote Originally Posted by better days
    I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

19. Post thanked by:

Thurmal (05-17-2019)

Sab and TD are insignificant ublinkwescore's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 938 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Thurmal View Post

The coaching was garbage. We had a good Oline when Gailey was here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
    Well we did give giant contracts to Dockery and Langston Walker in one offseason... hopefully we invested better this time around.
    Langston walker caught a lot of flak, but dude was a good player for us. Sockeye on the other hand was mediocre at best.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Haile SpikedLemonade View Post
    It is NOT a must win since I hope to be 3-0 going into that game after beating the Jets, the Giants and the Bengals.
    I didn't mean that we "need" to win as in a "must win" in order to get to the playoffs, etc.

I meant that in order to stop the everlasting depression of being spanked year after year by the Pats, **I** need the Bills to win a game against Brady, especially if we're playing them at home. )) I need that!!!! =D

So "we" in the sense of any Bills fans who feel the same way as I do.
    Last edited by Kaziganth; 05-20-2019 at 05:09 PM.

22. Post thanked by:

Haile SpikedLemonade (05-20-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,359 Times in 2,055 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Every analyst needs to shut up. Teams need to play THEN ANALYZE.

24. Post thanked by:

Night Train (05-20-2019),Swiper (Yesterday)