Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Should America split?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,466 Times in 3,290 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Should America split?

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie View Post
    I tell my kids all the time... Its your generation that is going to break these cycles.
    God...I hope so.

It is very gratifying seeing my adult children rejecting racism in every ugly form. My daughters live in large cities, and very diverse neighborhoods. THEY are LIVING the multi-cultural life EVERY DAY. And they are better human being because of it.

2. Post thanked by:

Blondie (05-19-2019),Historian (05-20-2019),Lucidvizion (05-19-2019)

Dumber than the average blonde :-) Blondie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,214 Times in 5,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    God...I hope so.

It is very gratifying seeing my adult children rejecting racism in every ugly form. My daughters live in large cities, and very diverse neighborhoods. THEY are LIVING the multi-cultural life EVERY DAY. And they are better human being because of it.
    Both of our youngest thought these states banning abortion was fake news, until we had to say, NO this **** is REAL.

My daughter, she was like wtf?? Why would anyone make another person have a baby if they don't want one ...

Coastal's son, too thought this was all a joke. He said he would never make a girl have his kid if she didn't want it and would feel bad he ever put her in the position. I told him to always wrap it up, regardless if she is using birth control or not.

I have very much tried to instill in our boys it is MORE their responsibility to protect their sperm.

ALL our kids are surrounded with diversity, and we encourage it. My daughter had mad crush on a boy from Cameroon, Africa. She choose NOT to date him as she knows her father would NOT have it.
    Life is Good ~ Uppy

4. Post thanked by:

notacon (05-19-2019)

The Meathead of Muslims! ticatfan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,355 Times in 1,852 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Just like Canada and all of Northern and Western Europe? Sure.
    I said your progessive democracy.
    Women experience interactions different than men”.

PM Trudeau on the alleged groping incident.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,163 Times in 1,284 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

‘Better Off Without ’Em,’ by Chuck Thompson

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/22/b...-thompson.html

...But for his new book, Mr. Thompson decided to use wishful thinking as his guide. So he took a tour of the Confederate States of America, the country that might be created if the American South seceded from the American North. He imagines a robust tourist industry attracted to the region’s “indigenous society teeming with underappreciated folk wisdom, ancient values and fascinating dialects.” He suggests that “with time, Americans would start thinking of the South as another Mexico, only with an even more corrupt government.”...

He voices alarm at the South’s “conflating Scripture with secular knowledge and legislative process” and fears the Southern evangelical’s “KKKristian” obsession with “End Times.”

“That’s because the millions of Southerners who not only believe the world is going to end on their watch, but can’t wait for it to end on their watch, are a threat to those of us still interested in keeping alive the quivering flame of American optimism,” he says.

About politics he is, if anything, even harsher. For instance: “Hyperventilation in the service of falsehood remains the go-to move of Dixie politicians, whose constituents have collectively agreed that hyperbole and lies are the same thing as wisdom and truth.”...
    "The '60s are gone, dope will never be as cheap, sex never as free, and the rock and roll never as great." ~ Abbie Hoffman

I outrank you!!!! Generalissimus Gibby's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,244 Times in 4,403 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post
    We The Deplorables outnumber the coastal elite.

Big cities have a lot of people, but they don't represent the vast majority of America.

In America, the minority has equal representation via the Electoral College.

The United States of America is not a democracy. Majority rule is not the law of the land.

Thank God.
    You won the electoral vote, you lost the popular vote. Only 25 percent of eligible voters voted for your guy. Only 26 percent voted for Killary. The biggest block of voters (47 percent) sat out the election. Stop ****ing lying
    Rashida Tlaib is an American Hero, and I stand with her word for word:

"Impeach the motherфукер!!!!

8. Post thanked by:

Blondie (05-19-2019)

Dumber than the average blonde :-) Blondie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,214 Times in 5,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Generalissimus Gibby View Post
    You won the electoral vote, you lost the popular vote. Only 25 percent of eligible voters voted for your guy. Only 26 percent voted for Killary. The biggest block of voters (47 percent) sat out the election. Stop ****ing lying
    Their fixation on Hillary is what is going to get the best of them.

Many of us have admitted to NOT wanting to vote for her. In the meantime they keep pounding their chest that Trump is a hero, and in the meantime NOT trying to gain our votes.

Hillary made a mistake, she thought she had won before she even ran. Trump and his base are doing the same, all while mocking and making fun of the left.

People are NOT happy about these abortion bans, just like they were not happy when Congress over turned the ACA .. These politicians have consequences for how they vote, and we are seeing more and more people take a stand to them.

I hope that the voters vote these latest asshats out and send a message to the Republican Party.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,466 Times in 3,290 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

"Coastal elites" vs "deplorables"?!?!

Donald Trump and his worthless family are the EPITOME of "coastal elites". Almost ALL of the Fox Nows gang are the elites of the coastal elites.

And they are all laughing their assess off by the sheer stupidity of the dopes that hang on their every fake word.

Funny too, how the supposed "real American" in those poor states....are uneducated...use more federal welfare...and are more dependent on the "Nanny State" that is mainly funded by those "Coastal Elites"

"Real Americans" vs. "coastal elites": What right-wing sneers at city dwellers really mean

The American people are tired of the “elite,” and in order to demonstrate their revolt against elitist governance, they have elected to the presidency a billionaire real estate mogul who lives in Manhattan and flies to resorts all over the world in his private jet with his supermodel wife at his side.
    Not in the history of American politics has a president, or even candidate, differed so sharply from his supporters as Donald Trump. Millions of ordinary Americans, most concentrated in rural areas, increasingly resentful of the “elites” in the media, the government and academia, have anointed a man with a golden elevator in his Penthouse as the leader of their populist movement.

If Donald Trump is not an “elite,” then the term is entirely meaningless, as it signifies nothing. Despite the perversion of the word, it has become impossible to read or watch coverage of the 2016 horror show without finding it everywhere. Its operative definition seems to transform, according to who is uttering it, to the point of incoherence. Newt Gingrich, for example, will often decry the “elites,” failing to note the irony that he is a former Speaker of the House, a multimillionaire and a conservative campus speaker who collects five-to-six figures in fees for his appearances.
    Then, there is the popular expression “coastal elites” — an all-encompassing term for any educated professional who lives in a major city in California or along the Eastern seaboard. Many of the “coastal elites” are just ordinary people conducting undramatic lives, with no outsize influence or authority in their city or country, but by bizarre virtue of pedigree and geography, they fall into the same category as Wall Street executives and the president of the United States.
    There is hardly a week that passes when I do not receive an email from an angry reader full of accusations that, because I write for Salon and teach at the university level, I am part of the dangerous and detached “elite.” In my time between paying my mortgage, grading papers and having dinner with my wife, I plot to undermine all that is sacred in the “real America.”

The juxtaposition of the “real America” with “elitist America” exposes the actual meaning of all the endless denunciations of the elite. It is not anti-elitism. It is anti-intellectualism.

As Richard Hofstadter documented and described in his historical classic, “Anti-Intellectualism in American Life,” many Americans reflexively distrust anyone who demonstrates expertise or excellence in analytical intelligence. It is not that Americans are not smart, Hofstadter explains, but that they often view the intellect as functional, namely in its capacity for commercial success. Donald Trump regularly struggles to form a coherent sentence, but many Americans believe him a genius, because he is a billionaire.

They believe he is not “an elite,” despite his close connection with every major political figure, including the Clinton family he has accused of irredeemable corruption, because he presents himself with a performance of everyman vernacular. Supporters of George W. Bush could hardly deny that the son of a president was an “elite,” but he was not an “elitist,” they insisted. Just look at the way he talks and how well he wears a cowboy hat. The middle class “coastal elites” who lack wealth and political influence conduct themselves according to an aspiration of intelligence, and that, according to this logic, makes them enemies of democracy.

I remember having drinks with a right-wing friend in a small town bar, and as part of his demented condemnation of Barack Obama, he said, “He has never been part of this.” When I pressed him to define “this,” he waved his arm around, making it clear that he was referring to an average Saturday night in middle America. Obama was part of “this,” especially when he lived and worked in the South Side of Chicago, but he maintains elegance in his public persona, and speaks in a style that many observers correctly call “professorial.” An elite is not a financial tycoon, or even a political powerhouse, but someone who articulates a mind of intellectual sophistication. Gore Vidal understood the bizarre bastardization of populism in American culture when he defined an elitist as “someone who can read the New York Times without moving his lips.”

In the “real America,” people don’t read the New York Times at all. One who rejects the pursuit of knowledge will not place much emphasis on intellectual rigor when voting for president. Many liberals are dealing with post-traumatic stress over the realization that America has elected as president a man who speaks at a middle school level, has no understanding of the NATO alliance, and consistently seems confused over how a bill becomes a law. The reality is that these disqualifying flaws, for many of Trump’s supporters, are virtues. The failure to pass an eighth-grade civics exam is not cause for concern. It is proof that the billionaire candidate is one of the people. He isn’t one of the elites with his nose buried in a book.
    'Real' Americans are a myth. Don't you dare buy it

The most offensive and corrosive idea in our politics today is that some Americans are more “real” than others. Don’t you dare buy it.

Republicans are cynically peddling this un-American conceit. “Real Americans” elected and continue to support President Trump, they claim, in defiance of snooty “coastal elites” who are hopelessly out of touch with the country. It’s a total crock, and shame on those using it for political gain.

The whole point of democracy is that every citizen’s voice is supposed to have equal weight — even voices in favor of fair and compassionate immigration policy, universal health care, fighting racism, promoting gender equality, enshrining LGBT rights and other progressive causes. There is no need to be tentative about these views for fear they somehow make you, I suppose, “unreal.” They do not.

Nor does living within some arbitrary distance of an ocean, having a college education or preferring big-city life deprive anyone of standing as an American. A third-generation Kentucky coal miner and a goateed Brooklyn barista should have equal say in charting the course of the nation.

The miner and the barista don’t actually have equal say, because of the way the electoral college works, but let’s leave that aside. What I’m talking about is the perceived legitimacy of their political views. The notion has taken hold that because the miner is a “real American,” his views must therefore be more authentic — and the barista, if he does not share or accede to those views, is “out of touch.”

With world-class hypocrisy, Republican officeholders and activists are selling this load of bull while themselves, by and large, being “coastal elites.”

One recent illustration: No group is supposedly more elitist and clueless than the so-called mainstream media. At the media’s biggest social event of the year, last month’s White House Correspondents’ Association dinner, comedian Michelle Wolf made some biting jokes about the Trump administration. Matt Schlapp, the chairman of the American Conservative Union, and his wife, Mercedes, the White House director of strategic communications, conspicuously stood up and walked out.

“It’s why America hates the out of touch leftist media elite,” Mercedes Schlapp harrumphed on Twitter. She sent the tweet while she and her husband were in a limousine, on their way to a glittering after-party thrown each year by NBC.

I know the Schlapps. They are nice people, when not engaged in demagoguery. They live in the Washington area, as I do; they recently purchased a $3 million home, as I certainly did not. Both have advanced college degrees. Matt Schlapp was a top lobbyist for Koch Industries before taking over at the ACU. The couple also founded their own public relations and lobbying firm. How are they anything but “elite,” according to the false dichotomy they espouse? Why are they any more qualified to speak for ostensibly “real” Americans than the journalists they haughtily deride, virtually all of whom are far less affluent?

To put icing on the cake, Mercedes Schlapp reportedly said at a recent White House meeting that “I stand with Kelly Sadler” — referring to the White House aide who said of Sen. John McCain’s opposition to CIA nominee Gina Haspel that “it doesn’t matter, he’s dying anyway.” Schlapp is awfully selective about what she finds offensive.

Think for a moment about how ridiculous this whole thing is. Trump is a billionaire who started life as a millionaire, his father having been a wealthy developer. His Cabinet is a coven of plutocrats. His administration’s most consequential achievement thus far is a tax cut that showers corporations and wealthy citizens with lavish benefits, leaving just peanuts for the middle and working classes. The administration is also waging a relentless campaign to punish immigrants and the poor, apparently for existing.

But Trump cleverly uses cultural, racial and geographic markers to define who is “real” and who is not. And the Republican Party, to its eternal shame, has decided to go along.

Enough. It’s time to call out this ugly charade for what it is. Yes, it matters a great deal what people think in small-town Pennsylvania or rural Texas. But it matters just as much what people think in the rebuilding inner cores and thriving suburbs of our major cities, even if those cities happen to be on or near a coast.

Progressives have to speak to those left behind by wrenching economic and social change. But our voices are as authentic, and as worthy, as anyone else’s. I am a real American, too. Deal with it.
    80% of the American population lives in "urban" areas. Interestingly, US Cities are home to 62.7% of the US population, but comprise Just 3.5% of Land Area (THIS is why those maps of the large swatches of red counties is totally irrelevant and fairly STUPID!!!)

There is zero chance that "deplorables" outnumber "coastal elites".

Today's conservatism is really, in essence, a racket. It's a racket to take advantage of the suckers and take their limited amount of money. Alex Jones is a perfect example of this. He's in it to make money off the incredibly stupid things he sells....pills...survival kits...get rich quick schemes...

I surmise that the overall American population is maybe 10% to 15% "deplorables"...the butt end of the radical right wing racists party. The dominate percentage of the American population consider themselves "independent" and the majority of Americans don't even bother to vote.

Donald Trump and Trumpism is the biggest CON of the century!!! SUCKERS!!!!

11. Post thanked by:

Historian (05-20-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,617 Times in 1,865 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
    I like how people like you think land is more important than people.

Idiots.
    Try Mars

It's soooo embarrassing YardRat's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,921 Times in 11,150 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The idiots are the ones that think California is more important than the other 49 states combined.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
    2019 Mock
    -------------
    #9---OT Andre Dillard (DT ED OLIVER) #40---DT Dexter Lawrence (OT Dalton Risner) #74---RB David Montgomery
    #112---WR Jakobi Meyers #131---OT Bobby Evans #147---TE Drew Sample #158---LB Sutton Smith
    #181---CB Blace Brown #225---DE/LB Shareef Miller #228---CB Mark Fields

14. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (05-19-2019)

LETS GO BLUE!
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,723 Times in 7,112 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    The idiots are the ones that think California is more important than the other 49 states combined.
    Huh?

LETS GO BLUE!
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie View Post
    Their fixation on Hillary is what is going to get the best of them.

Many of us have admitted to NOT wanting to vote for her. In the meantime they keep pounding their chest that Trump is a hero, and in the meantime NOT trying to gain our votes.

Hillary made a mistake, she thought she had won before she even ran. Trump and his base are doing the same, all while mocking and making fun of the left.

People are NOT happy about these abortion bans, just like they were not happy when Congress over turned the ACA .. These politicians have consequences for how they vote, and we are seeing more and more people take a stand to them.

I hope that the voters vote these latest asshats out and send a message to the Republican Party.
    This is a hell of a point. The trump administration isnt trying to court new votes. In an election where the planet's aligned and he won by the hair on his ass, you'd think he would be trying to court new voters. He's not appealing to new voters and his own base is the same size at best.

17. Post thanked by:

Blondie (05-20-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,872 Times in 6,564 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Who said that?

Do you have some specific quotes that people said that?
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

It's soooo embarrassing YardRat's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,921 Times in 11,150 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Who said that?

Do you have some specific quotes that people said that?
    If you think Hillary should be POTUS because she won the popular vote, you said it.

LETS GO BLUE!
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If you think Hillary should be POTUS because she won the popular vote, you said it.
    Has anyone here said that or made that point? Honestly, I don't recall reading that

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Huh?

The only state she won was California?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    Has anyone here said that or made that point? Honestly, I don't recall reading that
    Even if they did, it does not make his point

She won more states than California.

LETS GO BLUE!
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Even if they did, it does not make his point

She won more states than California.
    I'm not sure why he gets so mad when its pointed out she won the popular vote. No ones using it to justify her being POTUS. I've always used it as a baseline how vulnerable he is in 2020 as things stand.

Raging hypocrite and resident troll
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,327 Times in 3,077 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Generalissimus Gibby View Post
    I disagree with those numbers. Democratic Party election fraud (primary and general election) was rampant.

That issue is still to be addressed.

Patti

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Discotrish View Post
    I disagree with those numbers. Democratic Party election fraud (primary and general election) was rampant.

That issue is still to be addressed.

Patti
    lol

Allowing blacks, poor people and other minorities to vote is NOT voter fraud.

26. Post thanked by:

notacon (05-20-2019),senseofdoom (05-20-2019)

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,045 Times in 2,116 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

lol

Allowing blacks, poor people and other minorities to vote is NOT voter fraud.
    If they're not legal citizens, it is voter fraud.