Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 95

Thread: The media tries to change your language to manipulate you

  1. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    CheektaVegas, NY
    Posts
    15,182
    Thanks
    11,960
    Thanked 3,078 Times in 2,147 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    0

    Re: The media tries to change your language to manipulate you

    When I no longer have to turn on the furnace in May, I will believe the Climate Crusade.

  2. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    CheektaVegas, NY
    Posts
    15,182
    Thanks
    11,960
    Thanked 3,078 Times in 2,147 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    0

    Re: The media tries to change your language to manipulate you

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucidvizion View Post
    In other words any mistake that was ever made in the past is going to doom us forever? Because we can't learn and get better? Or do you really think the people studying this stuff - earning paltry salaries and begging for grant money - are stooges for big solar? Or that they are conspiring with legislators to create the scary CARBON TAX. That doesn't make a LICK of sense. There is no motive for these people to be lying.
    Grant money gives them a job.

    They have an incentive to lie to justify their "paltry" salaries.

  3. Post thanked by:

    ticatfan (05-20-2019)

  4. #43
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,365
    Thanks
    2,778
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 601 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    17

    Re: The media tries to change your language to manipulate you

    Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post
    Grant money gives them a job.

    They have an incentive to lie to justify their "paltry" salaries.
    They could make way more money in the private sector.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

  5. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    4,416
    Thanks
    890
    Thanked 3,066 Times in 1,621 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    27

    Re: The media tries to change your language to manipulate you

    Lying, criminal ******* became President Trump.

  6. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    CheektaVegas, NY
    Posts
    15,182
    Thanks
    11,960
    Thanked 3,078 Times in 2,147 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    0

    Re: The media tries to change your language to manipulate you

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucidvizion View Post
    They could make way more money in the private sector.
    Selling what?

  7. #46
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,365
    Thanks
    2,778
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 601 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    17

    Re: The media tries to change your language to manipulate you

    Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post
    Selling what?
    Have you ever met someone that works in sciences?

  8. #47
    Registered User sukie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    8,852
    Thanks
    2,058
    Thanked 3,509 Times in 2,162 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    25

    Re: The media tries to change your language to manipulate you

    I work with physicists from all over the world

  9. #48
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    CheektaVegas, NY
    Posts
    15,182
    Thanks
    11,960
    Thanked 3,078 Times in 2,147 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    0

    Re: The media tries to change your language to manipulate you

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucidvizion View Post
    Have you ever met someone that works in sciences?
    Only college professors.

  10. #49
    LETS GO BLUE!
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    34,740
    Thanks
    7,536
    Thanked 9,956 Times in 7,286 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    82

    Re: The media tries to change your language to manipulate you

    Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post
    When I no longer have to turn on the furnace in May, I will believe the Climate Crusade.
    God you're dumb. Or you say dumb **** for attention. Neither is a good thing

  11. Post thanked by:

    Blondie (05-19-2019)

  12. #50
    Raging hypocrite and resident troll Discotrish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Native: West Seneca Now: Florida
    Posts
    32,320
    Thanks
    2,199
    Thanked 4,362 Times in 3,105 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    84

    Re: The media tries to change your language to manipulate you

    Quote Originally Posted by ticatfan View Post
    Yesterday on Twitter, Julia Carrie Wong, The Guardian’s senior technology editor announced that they would be making some changes to their style guide. “Climate change” will become “climate emergency, crisis or breakdown.” “Global warming” will become “global heating.” “Climate skeptic” will become “climate science denier.”
    I like CLIMATE BREAKDOWN.


  13. #51
    Well, lookie here... YardRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    A hole in your wall.
    Posts
    66,756
    Thanks
    18,749
    Thanked 20,218 Times in 11,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    188

    Re: The media tries to change your language to manipulate you

    Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Yeah that’s right. Scientists- you know, the smartest people in the world- couldn’t figure out any legitimate way to make money so they created a giant international conspiracy to defraud governments, private businesses and individuals alike. That’s a completely insane point of view.
    I have a question for anybody that relies on the "well, they are scientists and smarter than us so they must be right" argument to rationalize AGW...There are countless examples throughout history for bankers, lawyers, doctors, intelligence agencies, law enforcement et al...many that have at least some factor of 'doing their job' on behalf of others or 'for the good of everybody, or at least many...where as a group they have been wrong, sometimes tragically incorrect. Some examples are due to simply being wrong, some are due to self-serving motivations being a priority.

    What gives you a perception that the scientific community is more competent and/or more altruistic than any other profession made up of individuals that should be smarter than you regarding their chosen specialty?

    And you know what, suppose it isn’t real. Then we’d get clean air, clean water, renewable energy and energy independence for no good reason. That sure would suck.
    And for this comment specifically I would expect the same is applied by you to somebody else's a belief in a God, considering the results have been, and could be, a long-standing history of assistance for the poor, and the young, and the sickly because even if that belief is wrong helping those in need sure does suck, doesn't it?
    Last edited by YardRat; 05-19-2019 at 07:42 AM.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
    2019 Mock
    -------------
    #9---OT Andre Dillard (DT ED OLIVER) #40---DT Dexter Lawrence (OT Dalton Risner) #74---RB David Montgomery
    #112---WR Jakobi Meyers #131---OT Bobby Evans #147---TE Drew Sample #158---LB Sutton Smith
    #181---CB Blace Brown #225---DE/LB Shareef Miller #228---CB Mark Fields



  14. #52
    Registered User cookie G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    5,315
    Thanks
    1,234
    Thanked 7,283 Times in 2,875 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    30

    Re: The media tries to change your language to manipulate you

    Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    I have a question for anybody that relies on the "well, they are scientists and smarter than us so they must be right" argument to rationalize AGW...There are countless examples throughout history for bankers, lawyers, doctors, intelligence agencies, law enforcement et al...many that have at least some factor of 'doing their job' on behalf of others or 'for the good of everybody, or at least many...where as a group they have been wrong, sometimes tragically incorrect. Some examples are due to simply being wrong, some are due to self-serving motivations being a priority.

    What gives you a perception that the scientific community is more competent and/or more altruistic than any other profession made up of individuals that should be smarter than you regarding their chosen specialty?
    There's nothing wrong with a healthy skepticism of those educated and trained in a subject and who are actually doing research in a field. And of course, in some situations in which the experts in a field have been wrong.

    But that's only the beginning of an argument, not the end of it. Getting into why those who are working in the field is more important than simply saying, "they could be wrong".

    If that's the extent of the argument, its no more than John Cleese in Monty Python's Argument skit, where he simply says, "No it isn't", after every statement.

    As a quick aside, Lucid's "stooge for Big Solar" reference made me chuckle. It was a good way to point out the absurdity of the idea that a vast majority of the scientific community on the subject has been bought off by a handful of solar panel companies.

  15. Post thanked by:

    Historian (05-20-2019),JATMtheJATM (05-19-2019),Lucidvizion (05-19-2019)

  16. #53
    Registered User sukie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    8,852
    Thanks
    2,058
    Thanked 3,509 Times in 2,162 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    25

    Re: The media tries to change your language to manipulate you

    What research are they doing? Climate model tweaking?

    That at is not research.

    Ocean Ph studies... water gathered and analyzed near ocean floor volcanic vents contain 40 times normal CO2 levels still are found to be alkaline. Not supposed to be that way.

    scientists reconstruct temperature records and precipitation from hundreds of tree samples gathered over large areas of Asia ... the plotted graphs of all of them show no warming over 432 years . Michael Mann’s tiny tree ring proxy sewn into modern satellite records shows current warming but no medieval warm period. Not supposed to work like that.

    ice cores reveal over and over that CO2 increase follows temperature increase buy 800-1200 years. Hypothesis says CO 2 leads temperature now do to (vague) feedbacks. If so... when did CO 2 start the lead? There had to be a point of lockstep and science doesn’t tell us when that happened

    18 plus years of little to no warming with ever increasing CO2 levels in the atmosphere. 200 plus scientific papers written to explain this “hiatus”. 200 Hypotheses to explain why a hypothesis is not working? What?

    Records since 1910 from over 490 stations in the US show the only warming has taken place at night in summer and during winter with less maximum cold records. That does compute to temperature average being slightly higher but if summer minimums go up and winter minimum temps go up... where is the catastrophe.

    tidal gauges show steady linear trends of sea level increase. 3mm /year. Science says oh it will rapidly start to increase and dramatically change the coastlines... when? When will the Hamptons have property for sale for pennies on the dollar?

    what is the climate sensitivity currently? If you don’t know what that is then these so called scientists have failed you. If one discovers this number, why hasn’t science explained to the public why that number keeps going down?

    why are any people with the ability to think supposed to think that IF the US goes to 0 CO2 emissions, that .00017% of atmospheric CO2 is going to do anything.

    science got to the moon but not with only computer models. Planes are designed but not with only computer models.

    Science is about scientific method. If a hypothesis states “if “a” increases “b” will be the result. If “b” doesn’t happen then the hypothesis about “a” increasing is invalidated.

  17. Post thanked by:

    Mr. Pink (05-19-2019)

  18. #54
    Peterman Sucks! Mr. Pink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    the fifth ring of hell
    Posts
    26,837
    Thanks
    1,762
    Thanked 6,637 Times in 4,013 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    70

    Re: The media tries to change your language to manipulate you

    Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post
    There's nothing wrong with a healthy skepticism of those educated and trained in a subject and who are actually doing research in a field. And of course, in some situations in which the experts in a field have been wrong.
    When the actual results of what these hypotheses are, are proven to be wrong time and time again, it's not just skepticism. They're lying to you. And unfortunately plenty of you still believe that we somehow have this ability to destroy the planet.

    Recycling is good, conservation is good, all of that is good but not because if we don't do it we're going to destroy the planet. None of us should aspire to live in a garbage dump and if we run out of fossil fuels, humanity in "civilized" worlds will crumble and die. That is why recycling is good. That is why conservation is good.

    If we did neither of those, life would go on. We'd live in squalor. Until the power went out, then mass hysteria and bedlam would follow.

  19. #55
    Registered User sukie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    8,852
    Thanks
    2,058
    Thanked 3,509 Times in 2,162 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    25

    Re: The media tries to change your language to manipulate you

    I cannot imagine WNY mandated to heat homes solely with electricity. Electric heat is very inefficient and the type of grid required in , say, February would be insane. Especially at night with no solar.

  20. #56
    Raging hypocrite and resident troll Discotrish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Native: West Seneca Now: Florida
    Posts
    32,320
    Thanks
    2,199
    Thanked 4,362 Times in 3,105 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    84

    Cool Re: The media tries to change your language to manipulate you

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucidvizion View Post
    Tens of billions of tons of carbon into the atmosphere. Every year.

    Imagine how much uncompressed gas it would take to make a ton. Multiply that by a million. Multiply that by ten thousand. Every year.

    We're literally burning energy that took the sun billions of years to create here. And we're burning it in the scale of centuries.

    Oh, if only plant life could thrive with carbon dioxide!

    lol.

    Watch Li6nuts fight against beneficial Global Greening!

    Patti

  21. #57
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    12,696
    Thanks
    7,906
    Thanked 5,784 Times in 3,503 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    34

    Re: The media tries to change your language to manipulate you

    Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    I have a question for anybody that relies on the "well, they are scientists and smarter than us so they must be right" argument to rationalize AGW...There are countless examples throughout history for bankers, lawyers, doctors, intelligence agencies, law enforcement et al...many that have at least some factor of 'doing their job' on behalf of others or 'for the good of everybody, or at least many...where as a group they have been wrong, sometimes tragically incorrect. Some examples are due to simply being wrong, some are due to self-serving motivations being a priority.

    What gives you a perception that the scientific community is more competent and/or more altruistic than any other profession made up of individuals that should be smarter than you regarding their chosen specialty?



    And for this comment specifically I would expect the same is applied by you to somebody else's a belief in a God, considering the results have been, and could be, a long-standing history of assistance for the poor, and the young, and the sickly because even if that belief is wrong helping those in need sure does suck, doesn't it?
    Yeah...them stupid doctors and scientists don't know ****. I'd much rather be treated by a TV healer....maybe bleeding will make a comeback!! Innoculations are dangerous!!!! Them doctors just want to make us weak. DAMN THEM COLLEGE EDGEMICATED!!!!
    Last edited by notacon; 05-19-2019 at 02:25 PM.

  22. Post thanked by:

    Historian (05-20-2019)

  23. #58
    Well, lookie here... YardRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    A hole in your wall.
    Posts
    66,756
    Thanks
    18,749
    Thanked 20,218 Times in 11,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    188

    Re: The media tries to change your language to manipulate you

    Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post
    There's nothing wrong with a healthy skepticism of those educated and trained in a subject and who are actually doing research in a field. And of course, in some situations in which the experts in a field have been wrong.

    But that's only the beginning of an argument, not the end of it. Getting into why those who are working in the field is more important than simply saying, "they could be wrong".

    If that's the extent of the argument, its no more than John Cleese in Monty Python's Argument skit, where he simply says, "No it isn't", after every statement.

    As a quick aside, Lucid's "stooge for Big Solar" reference made me chuckle. It was a good way to point out the absurdity of the idea that a vast majority of the scientific community on the subject has been bought off by a handful of solar panel companies.
    Well that's kind of part of the point, because those that tend to use the appeal to authority argument obviously expect that to be 'the end of it', on its own. Because, you know, they are scientists and smarter than everybody despite consistent evidence to the contrary. And they do get paid...and compete to get grants from public and private sources...and monetary gain from getting published.

  24. #59
    Raging hypocrite and resident troll Discotrish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Native: West Seneca Now: Florida
    Posts
    32,320
    Thanks
    2,199
    Thanked 4,362 Times in 3,105 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    84

    Re: The media tries to change your language to manipulate you

    Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    Yeah...them stupid doctors and scientists don't know ****. I'd much rather be treated by a TV healer....maybe bleeding will make a comeback!! Innoculations are dangerous!!!! Them doctors just want to make us weak. DAMN THEM COLLEGE EDGEMICATED!!!!
    Great future profession for all those college-age SJWs.

    "Climate Model Tweaker."

    To address the Climate Emergency!



  25. #60
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,365
    Thanks
    2,778
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 601 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    17

    Re: The media tries to change your language to manipulate you

    Ohhhhhhhh so now modeling isn't science. We land stuff on Mars by aiming rockets and lots of prayer.

  26. Post thanked by:

    Blondie (05-20-2019),notacon (05-20-2019)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •