Thread: The Mexican Rocky

Thanks
    Thanked 2,852 Times in 2,037 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Mexican Rocky

Damn... Can't believe how he ate those jabs for lunch. He's so damn likeable. Tremendous fight.

Here is Ruiz on Kimmel

https://youtu.be/k_Wpj6E0RV4
    Last edited by sahlensguy; 06-07-2019 at 12:30 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,112 Times in 8,443 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: The Mexican Rocky

I don’t know boxing that well but I’ve learned some of it training MMA.

Cardio is huge in combat sports. Looking at Joshua vs Ruiz, one would assume the cut Joshua had the advantage over the doughy Ruiz. That’s not what happened.

Reach is a ridiculous advantage in striking sports. I’m not that tall but I have freakishly long arms and it’s saved my ass plenty of times while sparring against more skilled opponents. Joshua objectively had a huge advantage in that department and Ruiz handled it like no one I’ve ever seen.

It’s definitely one of the biggest upsets in combat sports history and arguably one of the biggest overall upsets in sports history. Nothing against Joshua. He’s a monster and he’s not done. But we’re WNYers- we’re always the underdog so we always root for the underdog, and Ruiz was one of history’s biggest underdogs. There’s nothing not to like about the guy. Taking that fight on no notice is one of the ballsiest things ever done.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,852 Times in 2,037 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: The Mexican Rocky

Ruiz faught with incredible heart. That's what made it historical. He took the punishment and then dealt out so much more. He didn't have the reach, but he has good fast hands and of course heavy hands. That entire country must be having a party. That's how it's going to feel in Buffalo one day...