Thread: Freedom Isn't Free

Thanks
    Thanked 9,657 Times in 6,090 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Freedom Isn't Free

On Monday, Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., desperate to revive his flagging campaign, proposed a far-reaching plan to wipe out all student debt. That plan falls hard on plans by Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., his chief far-left rival for the Democratic presidential nomination, to make college "free" moving forward. Sanders' justification for allocating over $1 trillion of taxpayer money to relieving relatively more well-off people from debt freely incurred: True freedom means living free of consequences. Sanders tweeted: "Are you truly free if you graduate hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt? Are you free if you cannot pursue your dream because you don't make enough to cover your student loan payments? We will #CancelStudentDebt because there is no freedom without economic freedom."

This is an Orwellian redefinition of the term "freedom."

Freedom has traditionally meant the ability to make your own decisions -- and to live with the consequences of those decisions. I am free to buy a Lamborghini on credit, if Visa will extend me that credit; I am not deprived of freedom when Visa comes calling with a bill. Economic freedom amounts to the ability to make non-compelled decisions in the economic sphere. Sanders' economic plans offer precisely the reverse.

But Sanders' rhetoric here is merely the latest in a long line of such redefinitions from the American left. Franklin Delano Roosevelt suggested that "true individual freedom cannot exist without economic security and independence" -- and proceeded to make more Americans dependent on government than ever before in American history. He declared "freedom from want" in January 1941, in the midst of a second Great Depression of his making -- the prior year, the unemployment rate in the United States was 14.45 percent. The mere declaration, as it turned out, did not end want. And the redefinition of freedom as government-sponsored dependency did not end in prosperity or freedom.

Nonetheless, the suggestion that freedom lies in prosperity -- not that freedom is the precondition for prosperity -- still retains draw. That's mainly because the human heart will always embrace the notion that our shortcomings spring not from choice but from circumstance. Sometimes that's true. But in a free country, it's far more often untrue. Still, that notion relieves us of responsibility while making demands of others. After all, if freedom lies in lack of college debt, then those who demand that you pay your debts are curbing your freedom.

In reality, here's what the #CancelStudentDebt plan would do: continue to drive up the cost of college tuition, with the taxpayer footing that cost. That's precisely what has happened in the past few decades as the feds have involved themselves in the supposedly vital task of ensuring that everyone goes to college. Never mind that many people don't need to go to college -- that coming out of college without a skill set but with hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt is a bad bargain. College for all became the mantra; the government stepped into the breach; costs rose. Now government once more steps into the breach.

Canceling student debt may mean a more carefree life for those who voluntarily took on debt, but it means a more burdensome life for those who have paid off their debts, who didn't go to college or who haven't yet been born. And carefree doesn't mean free.

more....
    https://townhall.com/columnists/bens...eedom-n2548993

Like I've said before, here is an example of a "solution" masking itself as a trade-off. The poor little disenfranchised darlings that can't make a living because they graduated with a degree in "Women's Studies" or Sociology want American Society to make up for their lack of vision.
    The artist formerly known as pmoon6 is now Stupid A-hole.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,711 Times in 9,379 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Freedom Isn't Free

Quote Originally Posted by pmoon6 View Post
    On Monday, Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., desperate to revive his flagging campaign, proposed a far-reaching plan to wipe out all student debt. That plan falls hard on plans by Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., his chief far-left rival for the Democratic presidential nomination, to make college "free" moving forward. Sanders' justification for allocating over $1 trillion of taxpayer money to relieving relatively more well-off people from debt freely incurred: True freedom means living free of consequences. Sanders tweeted: "Are you truly free if you graduate hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt? Are you free if you cannot pursue your dream because you don't make enough to cover your student loan payments? We will #CancelStudentDebt because there is no freedom without economic freedom."

This is an Orwellian redefinition of the term "freedom."

Freedom has traditionally meant the ability to make your own decisions -- and to live with the consequences of those decisions. I am free to buy a Lamborghini on credit, if Visa will extend me that credit; I am not deprived of freedom when Visa comes calling with a bill. Economic freedom amounts to the ability to make non-compelled decisions in the economic sphere. Sanders' economic plans offer precisely the reverse.

But Sanders' rhetoric here is merely the latest in a long line of such redefinitions from the American left. Franklin Delano Roosevelt suggested that "true individual freedom cannot exist without economic security and independence" -- and proceeded to make more Americans dependent on government than ever before in American history. He declared "freedom from want" in January 1941, in the midst of a second Great Depression of his making -- the prior year, the unemployment rate in the United States was 14.45 percent. The mere declaration, as it turned out, did not end want. And the redefinition of freedom as government-sponsored dependency did not end in prosperity or freedom.

Nonetheless, the suggestion that freedom lies in prosperity -- not that freedom is the precondition for prosperity -- still retains draw. That's mainly because the human heart will always embrace the notion that our shortcomings spring not from choice but from circumstance. Sometimes that's true. But in a free country, it's far more often untrue. Still, that notion relieves us of responsibility while making demands of others. After all, if freedom lies in lack of college debt, then those who demand that you pay your debts are curbing your freedom.

In reality, here's what the #CancelStudentDebt plan would do: continue to drive up the cost of college tuition, with the taxpayer footing that cost. That's precisely what has happened in the past few decades as the feds have involved themselves in the supposedly vital task of ensuring that everyone goes to college. Never mind that many people don't need to go to college -- that coming out of college without a skill set but with hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt is a bad bargain. College for all became the mantra; the government stepped into the breach; costs rose. Now government once more steps into the breach.

Canceling student debt may mean a more carefree life for those who voluntarily took on debt, but it means a more burdensome life for those who have paid off their debts, who didn't go to college or who haven't yet been born. And carefree doesn't mean free.

more....
    https://townhall.com/columnists/bens...eedom-n2548993

Like I've said before, here is an example of a "solution" masking itself as a trade-off. The poor little disenfranchised darlings that can't make a living because they graduated with a degree in "Women's Studies" or Sociology want American Society to make up for their lack of vision.
    I’m not saying I agree with Sanders proposal, but would you agree that the cost of higher education in general (including technical/trade schools has risen to ridiculous heights?
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    I’m not saying I agree with Sanders proposal, but would you agree that the cost of higher education in general (including technical/trade schools has risen to ridiculous heights?
    Certainly.

How hilarious is this. The article was put in Spam.

It seems the current propagandists on the staff can't stand any opinion that deviates from their groupthink.

Maybe they should rename the "SpinZone", "Goebbels Garage".

The Victimizer CommissarSpartacus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,325 Times in 11,769 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Merely posting a right wing opinion piece followed by a string of insults doesn't make it a shining example of freedom of speech.

You need to have a point other than (Insert right wing moron here) says libs are poopyheads.
    boisterous hubris, arrogance, self deception, conspiracy, mud slinging mixed with a heavy dose of self righteousness.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by CommissarSpartacus View Post
    Merely posting a right wing opinion piece followed by a string of insults doesn't make it a shining example of freedom of speech.

You need to have a point other than (Insert right wing moron here) says libs are poopyheads.
    I didn't say it was a freedom of speech issue, I was just pointing out the uneven hand of one of the staff.

You must know he has an axe to grind or haven't you been paying attention???

My battery is low and it's getting dark. ParanoidAndroid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,070 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm not sure why this went to spam, either. The title is dumb, TownHall is a right wing propaganda site and Shapiro is a douche, but I think in this case, he raises a valid point. It is incomplete, as he goes after the college debt forgiveness issue but does not attempt to tackle the many other economic barriers to freedom that are not solely the result of poor choices. I suppose it is easy to criticize another's idea without presenting one of your own, as well. I think that it is valid to ask if we have fallen behind the times in only guaranteeing education up through high school. In my opinion, we should be shooting for two more years of trade school or junior college and then supplementing with social service incentives like loan forgiveness in exchange for 3 years of service in high need areas. What Shapiro fails to do is truly consider what the alternative options are for a person who is pursuing their future the best way they know how. This kind of message is always served up by a person of privilege and then swallowed by people at the bottom who think their day of riches is about to come trickling down any minute now...….yup, aaany minute now.... SPAM!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Freedom was never free.
    Why spam?

2016 Trump Wins
    2017 Trump Wins
    2018 Trump Wins
    2019 Trump Wins < YOU ARE HERE
    2020 Trump Wins
    2021 Trump Wins
    2022 Trump Wins
    2023 Trump Wins
    2024 Trump Wins

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 731 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

"Freedom costs a buck o five" - Team America

The Victimizer CommissarSpartacus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,325 Times in 11,769 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by pmoon6 View Post
    I didn't say it was a freedom of speech issue, I was just pointing out the uneven hand of one of the staff.

You must know he has an axe to grind or haven't you been paying attention???
    All Americans have axes to grind.

Gets kinda boring the hundredth time you fire up the grinding wheel.