Thread: Sabres sign johansson

LETS GO BLUE!
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,046 Times in 7,354 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Sabres sign johansson

Push notification just came through.

Had 30 points in 58 games last year and 11 in 22 games during the playoffs.

Brings depth scoring and playoff experience. Very happy.

Thanks
    Thanked 14,346 Times in 6,780 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Sabres sign johansson

2 years. 4.5 million per.

Good term and amount for him
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie. DetDannyWilliams's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Thanks
    Thanked 1,960 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think he's better suited for the 3rd line but imagine we'll start him out on the 2nd. He improves the roster but still think we need some help in the top 6.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 6,147 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    I think he's better suited for the 3rd line but imagine we'll start him out on the 2nd. He improves the roster but still think we need some help in the top 6.

Johannson gives Sabres scoring, versatility

The Buffalo Sabres have added some scoring depth and some versatility with the signing of forward Marcus Johannson on Saturday.

The Sabres and Johansson agreed to a two-year, $9 million deal that carries a cap hit of $4.5 million per season. Itís a good term for Johansson, 28, who can prove his worth over the next two years and parlay that into a longer deal at the end of it.

For the Sabres, they get a player who an excellent left-winger and has the ability, if needed, to play in the middle. As Mike Harrington from the Buffalo News points out, Johannson has won 900 faceoffs in his career thus far but hasnít played the position much since he was with the Washington Capitals.

Where he plays is still up in the air. Heís likely to start the season on the wing and in Buffaloís top-six contingent. But the Sabres are thin at center after Jack Eichel and he would certainly see time there if need be. If nothing else, the option is there for a player that can theoretically play any of the forward positions. Johanssonís utility extends to the power play as well.

Itís not nearly as splashy an offseason as last year, but the Sabres are making solid moves to improve their club after it showed flashes last season. I donít see Buffalo as a team far off from being in the playoff conversation (I figured they were going to be in it last year, so what do I know.) But adding some scoring to a team in the bottom third in the category last season is a good step in that direction.

Johansson has 20-goal capabilities, having done so twice now in his career. He played just 29 games in 2017-18 after a nasty head shot by Brad Marchand and was limited to 58 games this season because of injuries.

Prior to that, Johansson hit the 20-goal mark in 2014-15 and then again in 2016-17, playing the NHLís full slate of 82 games in both of those campaigns. His possession numbers in those two seasons ó 53.1 percent and 52.9 percent, respectively ó were his best as a pro, as well.

Johansson is simply effective when heís healthy and if he can stay that way with the Sabres, heís a shrewd addition to a team that is only getting better as their young stars get older.

Perhaps thereís a little superstition at play here, too.

Johansson hasnít missed the playoffs since 2013, making it with the Capitals on four straight occasions before runs with the New Jersey Devils and most recently a Stanley Cup Final appearance with the Boston Bruins.

Welcome to Buffalo Carter Hutton

6. Post thanked by:

YardRat (07-06-2019)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Scoring - check
    versatility - check (LW/C/can play RW)
    Face-offs - check (lost with ROR departure)
    Play-off experience - check

Stats: https://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...johanma03.html

If you can get 82 games out of him, he'll give you 20 goals/30 assists. Good signing.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Good opinion piece by wgr explaining how Johansson's presence will upgrade the power play immediately.

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/op...e-holes-sabres

Not quite Best in the World.... ckg927's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,650 Times in 2,743 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

NHL.com has an article which also makes mention of the signings the Sabres have done. It mentions that Buffalo can break up the Eichel/Reinhart/Skinner line to get some balance, and notes that it's likely Reinhart will center the second line(with Johansson on one of the wings)come opening night. Johansson could also get some time on the top line or on the first PP unit, too.
    "The powerful have always preyed on the powerless. That is how they became powerful in the first place."

-Tyrion Lannister, Game of Thrones/"The Wars To Come"

Thanks
    Thanked 8,719 Times in 4,382 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Still miles away but they probably will improve next year if some of the young guys in Rochester replace the usual bums on the 3rd and 4th line.
    "When I'm with you girl I get an extension.. and I don't mean Alexander Graham Bell's invention."

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Johansson willing to play anywhere he is needed. He liked the ideas that Ralph Krueger has regarding how to play ice hockey. Encouraging.

"I think with talking to [head coach] Ralph [Krueger] and [general manager] Jason [Botterill], I like what Buffalo has going," Johansson said to the Buffalo media on Monday via a conference call. "I think talking to Ralph, he has some really good ideas on how to play, and it's a really young and exciting team I'm looking forward to it, and once I came down to it, I was really happy that I ended up going to Buffalo."

Johansson was drafted in the first round (24th overall) of the 2019 NHL Draft by the Washington Capitals out of Sweden as a center. In his first couple of seasons in the NHL, Johansson played center but eventually moved over to the left wing, where he has played most of his hockey since.

The Sabres are already stock-piled with left wing talent in players like Jeff Skinner, Jimmy Vesey, Victor Olofsson, Conor Sheary, Evan Rodrigues, Scott Wilson and C.J. Smith.

When talking with the Sabres before signing, Johansson said that he didn't have too many discussions about whether or not he would play center or play on the left wing. However, the veteran is open to playing wherever he is needed in the lineup.

"Wherever I can help and play, I'm there for it and whatever they need me to do," Johansson said. "I've played both [left wing and center]. I've played mostly left wing over the last however many years, but whatever they need me to do, I'm up for it. I think that's why everyone comes to play is because you want to help your team win. That's my main focus. If it's at center, it is. If it's at left wing, I'm happy to do both.
    https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/ne...falo-had-offer