Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: Pet peeves.

  1. #1
    Zone's most cruel & vile 2016 Mace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Buffalo
    Posts
    14,556
    Thanks
    16,996
    Thanked 12,154 Times in 6,687 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    40

    Pet peeves.

    "Tall ships". They're sailing ships, ships with sails. Ooh next week is the short chubby ship parade, then the height weight proportional ships ! How about those tall ones though, wow they were up there.

    The guy who buys a single can of energy drink in a convenience store and gripes the can is dirty, no filthy. So the nice clerk keeps exchanging his cans, oh that one is dirty too. Standing behind him for 5 minutes, I see nothing wrong with his cans, he will not leave until I lose my temper and yell go rinse your damn can in the free tap 15 feet away and the 9 other people behind me want me to be somewhat more harsh. He's still out there examining his damn can after the store has cleared out, and I know because I've been standing another 5 minutes behind him trembling because I want to rub his face on the propane tank grill.

    Someone in savealot can't decide if they want to spend a dime for a bag for their can of vegetables and candy bar. They decide they just so need that plastic bag and riff through their bills but don't have the correct change which is in their car and I'll be right back as they saunter away at leisure, paid for vegetables and candy bar resting comfortably between me and my getting the hell out of there. The clerk can't put the stuff with the discards because it's paid for, and can't check me out without calling a manager and voiding to re ring it up later, the guard notices I'm combusting, the people behind me are swearing and we all stare at lazy susan strolling her way to her vehicle parked as far away as possible, hoping to hear another cashier open. You're always out of the store after she comes back, finishes her transaction and makes her way toward the exit. Oh no no no, I'm not going to stand there and hold the door open while you get past those 5 feet of tile, but you think I will until it closes in your face and I laugh.

    So anyway.....
    Shot down in flames by Mr. Pink....the comedy, the tragedy, the drama, pathos, schadenfreude, one dollar off on a happy meal with the correct coupon code. Dastardly destiny dooms daring....um....myselfs, me, Mace....I to despicable destruction, darn !

  2. Post thanked by:

    OpIv37 (07-14-2019),YardRat (07-07-2019)

  3. #2
    Visually stunning but camera-shy.
    Cntrygal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    In the Black Hills
    Posts
    34,134
    Thanks
    3,261
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 731 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    119

    Re: Pet peeves.

    Some good ones here.
    For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

  4. Post thanked by:

    Mace (07-14-2019),YardRat (07-18-2019)

  5. #3
    Acid Douching Asswipe OpIv37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    86,288
    Thanks
    9,318
    Thanked 17,375 Times in 8,603 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    242

    Re: Pet peeves.

    I have a lot of specific pet peeves, but I’ve realized something: the overwhelming majority come down to people lacking situational awareness and either not realizing how they affect other people or being so arrogant that they don’t care:

    People camping in the left lane next to a truck while there’s a line of 30 cars waiting to pass.
    People standing in line for 10 minutes then not knowing what they want to order when it’s their turn.
    People going through the self check lanes with a huge cart and having their cart a full step away so it’s a step to the cart and a step back to the register for the each item.
    People who walk into a store then stop in the doorway to get their bearings so no one else can get around them.
    People who have conversations in narrow aisles so no one can get through.
    People at work who talk on the phone so loudly that the entire office can hear.

    Anything where people are either ignorant or apathetic to the way they are affecting others around them drives me crazy.

  6. Post thanked by:

    Cntrygal (07-14-2019),Mace (07-14-2019)

  7. #4
    Registered User sahlensguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    6,820
    Thanks
    2,870
    Thanked 3,033 Times in 2,145 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    19

    Re: Pet peeves.

    My latest pet peeve are with random people who will knock on my bus to ask if their 5 year old kid can use my bathroom. As if I'm a rolling Porta John coming to a parking lot near you.

    The look on the parents face when I tell them no is worth it though.

    Hearing a cringing kid say "Dad, where am I supposed to go now?" really makes my day.

  8. Post thanked by:

    Mace (07-14-2019)

  9. #5
    Acid Douching Asswipe OpIv37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    86,288
    Thanks
    9,318
    Thanked 17,375 Times in 8,603 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    242

    Re: Pet peeves.

    Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    My latest pet peeve are with random people who will knock on my bus to ask if their 5 year old kid can use my bathroom. As if I'm a rolling Porta John coming to a parking lot near you.

    The look on the parents face when I tell them no is worth it though.

    Hearing a cringing kid say "Dad, where am I supposed to go now?" really makes my day.
    But that’s pretty similar to what I’m saying. Some moron brought his kid out without realizing the kid would inevitably need the bathroom. You have a schedule to keep. You have paying customers who need that one toilet. But he doesn’t care about you or your customers- he planned poorly and the fact that his kid needs to piss is now your problem.

  10. Post thanked by:

    Mace (07-14-2019)

  11. #6
    Registered User sukie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    9,971
    Thanks
    2,239
    Thanked 4,032 Times in 2,488 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    28

    Re: Pet peeves.

    Toilet sprinkles.

    people eating wings with a knife and fork...ranch no less.

    long voluminous posts... paragraph after paragraph...

    ax vs ask. Fustrated vs frustrated.

  12. Post thanked by:

    Mace (07-19-2019)

  13. #7
    Registered User bleve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Davis, CA
    Posts
    746
    Thanks
    370
    Thanked 753 Times in 382 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    16

    Re: Pet peeves.

    Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    I have a lot of specific pet peeves, but I’ve realized something: the overwhelming majority come down to people lacking situational awareness and either not realizing how they affect other people or being so arrogant that they don’t care:

    People camping in the left lane next to a truck while there’s a line of 30 cars waiting to pass.
    People standing in line for 10 minutes then not knowing what they want to order when it’s their turn.
    People going through the self check lanes with a huge cart and having their cart a full step away so it’s a step to the cart and a step back to the register for the each item.
    People who walk into a store then stop in the doorway to get their bearings so no one else can get around them.
    People who have conversations in narrow aisles so no one can get through.
    People at work who talk on the phone so loudly that the entire office can hear.

    Anything where people are either ignorant or apathetic to the way they are affecting others around them drives me crazy.
    That's pretty much me.

    I call it SADS- situational awareness deficit syndrome.
    It manifests itself in many places, but I can't get too worked up about it, it's just a minor peeve. Bigger things in life to worry about.
    "You can't be a real country unless you have beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need beer."
    ~ Frank Zappa

  14. #8
    Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    4,233
    Thanks
    497
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 839 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    18

    Re: Pet peeves.

    Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    But that’s pretty similar to what I’m saying. Some moron brought his kid out without realizing the kid would inevitably need the bathroom. You have a schedule to keep. You have paying customers who need that one toilet. But he doesn’t care about you or your customers- he planned poorly and the fact that his kid needs to piss is now your problem.
    Not sure if you have kids but it could also be highly probable that the child did go to the bathroom just before they left the house and things didn't go to plan. You can't live your life 8 feet from a bathroom. The one thing the kid did learn was that even if you are in trouble, not everyone will be nice to you.

  15. #9
    Acid Douching Asswipe OpIv37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    86,288
    Thanks
    9,318
    Thanked 17,375 Times in 8,603 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    242

    Re: Pet peeves.

    Quote Originally Posted by mightysimi View Post
    Not sure if you have kids but it could also be highly probable that the child did go to the bathroom just before they left the house and things didn't go to plan. You can't live your life 8 feet from a bathroom. The one thing the kid did learn was that even if you are in trouble, not everyone will be nice to you.
    I’d say the lesson is to be prepared to handle your problems yourself because you can’t depend on others to help you.

  16. #10
    Acid Douching Asswipe OpIv37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    86,288
    Thanks
    9,318
    Thanked 17,375 Times in 8,603 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    242

    Re: Pet peeves.

    Oh and another thing that drives me insane- I don’t know how to describe it but I usually call it “unnecessary steps.” For example, if a drawer is too full and you have to take out all the crap you don’t need to find the thing you do need, then put everything back.

    We used to have a hamper with a flip open lid. My wife would pile stuff on top of it, so every time I put clothes in there, I’d have to move her stuff out of the way then put it back. Now we just have an open laundry basket in the closet but that **** drove me nuts.

    She also has a ton of crap for work in her car. Her car is bigger than mine, so when we need the space, we have to move everything to the garage then move it all back to her car. I can’t stand that “I’m moving this just to eventually have to move it back to where it was.”

  17. Post thanked by:

    Mace (07-19-2019)

  18. #11
    Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    4,233
    Thanks
    497
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 839 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    18

    Re: Pet peeves.

    Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    I’d say the lesson is to be prepared to handle your problems yourself because you can’t depend on others to help you.
    He also learned not to bother helping people if it is an inconvenience to you.

  19. #12
    Registered User feldspar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    11,129
    Thanks
    2,192
    Thanked 6,533 Times in 3,802 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    38

    Re: Pet peeves.



    Somebody is going to have to explain this to me. Why? WHY? WHY EXACTLY? And also how...
    Last edited by feldspar; 07-16-2019 at 12:41 PM.

  20. Post thanked by:

    Mace (07-19-2019),sukie (07-16-2019),Swiper (07-18-2019)

  21. #13
    Registered User sukie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    9,971
    Thanks
    2,239
    Thanked 4,032 Times in 2,488 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    28

    Re: Pet peeves.

    Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post


    Somebody is going to have to explain this to me. Why? WHY? WHY EXACTLY? And also how...
    Defies physics

  22. Post thanked by:

    feldspar (07-16-2019)

  23. #14
    Registered User feldspar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    11,129
    Thanks
    2,192
    Thanked 6,533 Times in 3,802 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    38

    Re: Pet peeves.

    Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    Defies physics
    And also logic...I can make a list of things it defies.

  24. #15
    Acid Douching Asswipe OpIv37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    86,288
    Thanks
    9,318
    Thanked 17,375 Times in 8,603 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    242

    Re: Pet peeves.

    Quote Originally Posted by mightysimi View Post
    He also learned not to bother helping people if it is an inconvenience to you.
    It’s more than an “inconvenience.” He has paying customers who want to use the toilet. It’s his job to keep a schedule. He shouldn’t be expected to drop everything he’s doing so someone else’s kid can piss. Come to think of it, that’s another pet peeve of mine: when parents think the rest of the world has to cowtow to their kids. You’re the one who chose to conceive, you’re the one who brought the kid to that place- you figure it out and don’t expect the rest of the world to pause because your kid needs something that you didn’t plan for.

  25. #16
    Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    4,233
    Thanks
    497
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 839 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    18

    Re: Pet peeves.

    Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    It’s more than an “inconvenience.” He has paying customers who want to use the toilet. It’s his job to keep a schedule. He shouldn’t be expected to drop everything he’s doing so someone else’s kid can piss. Come to think of it, that’s another pet peeve of mine: when parents think the rest of the world has to cowtow to their kids. You’re the one who chose to conceive, you’re the one who brought the kid to that place- you figure it out and don’t expect the rest of the world to pause because your kid needs something that you didn’t plan for.
    Everything you say is true, it is his job to keep the schedule, he does have paying customers and he has no obligation to help. I would argue that if there was any other toilet the kid would be in it but there isn't. So today he will learn to break the law by peeing in public instead of putting someone 30 seconds to 2 minutes behind schedule (because as we know transport is always to the second)

    Maybe it is just different in my world. Now I can totally get the point if it happens multiple times a day or even a week that it would get frustrating but it doesn't sound like a problem that couldn't be solved fairly easily.

  26. #17
    Acid Douching Asswipe OpIv37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    86,288
    Thanks
    9,318
    Thanked 17,375 Times in 8,603 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    242

    Re: Pet peeves.

    Quote Originally Posted by mightysimi View Post
    Everything you say is true, it is his job to keep the schedule, he does have paying customers and he has no obligation to help. I would argue that if there was any other toilet the kid would be in it but there isn't. So today he will learn to break the law by peeing in public instead of putting someone 30 seconds to 2 minutes behind schedule (because as we know transport is always to the second)

    Maybe it is just different in my world. Now I can totally get the point if it happens multiple times a day or even a week that it would get frustrating but it doesn't sound like a problem that couldn't be solved fairly easily.
    Well I guess there are a lot of ways to look at it. I don’t think it’s the greatest idea to teach a kid that it’s ok to bother others because you weren’t prepared. If it’s a one-off, I’m sure it’s not a problem. But if it’s a pattern the kid will become entitled.

    I think the bigger problem is that once you let one person do it, you have to let everyone do it. He didn’t describe the situation, but if he’s, say, in a parking lot before a game/concert where people are tailgating, or in a highly trafficked touristy area like Niagara Falls in summer, you don’t want word getting out that there’s a free toilet on your bus.

  27. Post thanked by:

    Mace (07-19-2019)

  28. #18
    Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    4,233
    Thanks
    497
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 839 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    18

    Re: Pet peeves.

    Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Well I guess there are a lot of ways to look at it. I don’t think it’s the greatest idea to teach a kid that it’s ok to bother others because you weren’t prepared. If it’s a one-off, I’m sure it’s not a problem. But if it’s a pattern the kid will become entitled.

    I think the bigger problem is that once you let one person do it, you have to let everyone do it. He didn’t describe the situation, but if he’s, say, in a parking lot before a game/concert where people are tailgating, or in a highly trafficked touristy area like Niagara Falls in summer, you don’t want word getting out that there’s a free toilet on your bus.
    Oh yeah I was just talking about the one time kid has an emergency that cannot be planned for. I would definitely hate to be bugged all the time especially in the situations you describe where there are other toilets around.

  29. #19
    Sab and TD are insignificant ublinkwescore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Atwater, Ca.
    Posts
    23,531
    Thanks
    3,584
    Thanked 1,755 Times in 1,188 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    67

    Re: Pet peeves.

    Stupid ***ks who sit at a green light or just BARELY crawl through the intersection so slow that only 2 or three other cars besides them are able to het through behind them, when if they'd have just given it a little more gas, like 10 cars could have gotten through... *******s that have no sense of urgency, or respect for the fact that others have places to be at specific times so they drive like 10-15 miles below the speed limit.
    www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

  30. Post thanked by:

    Mace (07-19-2019),mightysimi (07-18-2019),OpIv37 (07-18-2019)

  31. #20
    Registered User sukie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    9,971
    Thanks
    2,239
    Thanked 4,032 Times in 2,488 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    28

    Re: Pet peeves.

    Quote Originally Posted by ublinkwescore View Post
    Stupid ***ks who sit at a green light or just BARELY crawl through the intersection so slow that only 2 or three other cars besides them are able to het through behind them, when if they'd have just given it a little more gas, like 10 cars could have gotten through... *******s that have no sense of urgency, or respect for the fact that others have places to be at specific times so they drive like 10-15 miles below the speed limit.
    You are driving and going to make a left turn onto a street. At the same time someone is going to turn right onto that street. They have the right of way but they sit there and then flag you to turn... upset that you are taking so long.

    YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO TURN , DIP****. THAT IS WHY I AM WAITING!!!!

  32. Post thanked by:

    Mace (07-19-2019)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •