Thread: PHT Power Rankings: Looking at every NHL teamís off-season

Thanks
    Thanked 9,876 Times in 6,654 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Question PHT Power Rankings: Looking at every NHL teamís off-season

Teams that are significantly better

1. New York Rangers. It would be difficult to have a better offseason than the one the Rangers have had. They added one of the leagueís top offensive players (Artemi Panarin), a potential superstar thanks to some draft lottery luck (Kaapo Kakko), and a top-four defender (Jacob Trouba). They did all of that while giving up nothing of significance from their NHL roster. Is it a playoff team this season? That probably depends on how much Henrik Lundqvist has left in the tank, but they are close.

2. New Jersey Devils. Jack Hughes and P.K. Subban joining a core that already has Nico Hischier and Taylor Hall makes the Devils a fascinating team to watch. Now they just need to find a way to keep Hall beyond this season. Like the Rangers they may not be a playoff team this season, but they are definitely improved.

3. Colorado Avalanche. Losing Tyson Barrie off the blue line might hurt, but the Avalanche are loaded with young, impact defenders and by trading Barrie they found a perfect second-line center (Nazem Kadri) to complement Nathan MacKinnon Ö as long as Kadri stays on the ice and out of the player safety office. Along with the additions of Joonas Donskoi and Andre Burakovsky they now have some actual scoring depth to support their big three.

4. Dallas Stars. It would not be an NHL offseason without general manager Jim Nill raising another offseason championship banner. Even if Joe Pavelski shows some signs of decline and regresses from his 38-goal output this past season he is still just what the leagueís most top-heavy team needed.

5. Arizona Coyotes. Phil Kessel is the big, headline-grabbing addition but Carl Soderberg could be a nice depth pickup as well. Even if Kessel starts to slow down he should still be able to run the Coyotesí power play and make a significant impact.

Teams that are probably better

6. Florida Panthers. Sergei BobrovskyĎs contract will almost certainly be an albatross on their salary cap in the next three or four years and probably end up in a buyout, but he might get them to the playoffs a couple of times before that. Bobrovsky is the big name, but donít sleep on Anton Stralman and Brett Connolly as depth additions.

7. Toronto Maple Leafs. Their salary cap concerns were always overblown and they were always going to find a way to get out of them. They not only shed a lot of bad contracts and almost certainly created enough space to re-sign Mitch Marner, but they also managed to add a much-needed top-defender in Barrie. Jason Spezza may not be what he once was, but he should be fine as a third-line center for this team.

8. Chicago Blackhawks. The worst defensive team in the league made two solid additions in Olli Maatta and Calvin de Haan, then found a starting caliber goalie that just so happened to be a Vezina Trophy finalist this past season.

9. Minnesota Wild. Still do not understand the direction Paul Fenton has this team going in, but Mats Zuccarello is a definite upgrade in the short-term.

10. Nashville Predators. Matt Duchene is a nice addition and gives them another impact forward that might help a dreadful power play. So why only ďprobablyĒ better? Because they had to trade an impact defender for almost nothing to be able to sign him. How much better you think the Predators are depends on whether or not you think they needed Duchene more than Subban. Or, probably more accurately, if you think Duchene is that much more valuable than Subban.

Good teams that have stayed the same

11. St. Louis Blues. It has been a quiet offseason for the champs, adding nothing of significance and losing nothing of significance. Nothing wrong with that when you are parading the Stanley Cup around.

12. Boston Bruins. The Bruins look to be returning mostly the same roster next season, and it will still be a Stanley Cup contender.

13. Carolina Hurricanes. Some musical chairs in net, but there should not be much of a drop off. The big win this offseason was Montreal helping them out with Sebastian Ahoís new contract.

14. Washington Capitals. Radko Gudas is probably a better player than Matt Niskanen at this stage of his career. Andre Burakovsky never panned out, but they made a couple of solid depth signings to fill his spot.

15. Calgary Flames. Still a potential Stanley Cup team with one pretty massive flaw in net.

Bad teams that are marginally better

16. Buffalo Sabres. Colin Miller, Marcus Johansson, and Jimmy Vesey are all solid additions for what amounts to very little in cost. That is the good news. The bad news this team still has a long way to go before it is a serious threat in the Atlantic Division or Eastern Conference Wild Card races.

more....
    https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2019/07/08...ams-offseason/
    Welcome to Buffalo Henri Jokiharju

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: PHT Power Rankings: Looking at every NHL teamís off-season

Vesey, Johansson, Miller added to the core? Should be better.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,983 Times in 5,849 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Middle of the lineup depth... throw Montour in that grouping as well.

it isn’t spectacular but it’s 4 solid hockey players we didn’t have for the season last year.

4. Post thanked by:

Swiper (07-10-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,119 Times in 1,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    Vesey, Johansson, Miller added to the core? Should be better.
    Miller's a borderline top 4 Dman so we should be improved there. I'm not sold on Vesey or Johansson as top 6 forwards but they should help the PP at the very least and help our overall depth, yet are they significant changes? Maybe we win a few more games then last year but not sure it puts us in the playoff discussion of course the biggest move in the offseason was the addition of Krueger. I'm still not sold on him but I hope he proves me wrong.

LETS GO BLUE!
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,003 Times in 8,076 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    Miller's a borderline top 4 Dman so we should be improved there. I'm not sold on Vesey or Johansson as top 6 forwards but they should help the PP at the very least and help our overall depth, yet are they significant changes? Maybe we win a few more games then last year but not sure it puts us in the playoff discussion of course the biggest move in the offseason was the addition of Krueger. I'm still not sold on him but I hope he proves me wrong.
    Millers advanced stats are bordering on elite. I think hes going to help this team way more than it appears.

Victimizing The Victimizer Downinfloflo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,656 Times in 2,981 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Stanley Kaapo.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,983 Times in 5,849 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Downinfloflo View Post
    Stanley Kaapo.
    Flo!!!!

you got paroled again?

9. Post thanked by:

Downinfloflo (07-10-2019),JackJoeJimJosh (07-13-2019)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Flo Flo!

They have internet in the jail?

11. Post thanked by:

Downinfloflo (07-10-2019)

LETS GO BLUE!
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,003 Times in 8,076 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by coastal View Post
    Flo!!!!

you got paroled again?
    Again????

Dude!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

No sir took a break from politics.

Saw commrade Gibbys melt down logged in to laugh at him but it looks like the KGB article 58'ed him, suka.

14. Post thanked by:

coastal (07-10-2019),JackJoeJimJosh (07-13-2019),Swiper (07-10-2019)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Downinfloflo View Post
    No sir took a break from politics.

Saw commrade Gibbys melt down logged in to laugh at him but it looks like the KGB article 58'ed him, suka.
    Oh you mean the "Dave is a hypocrite. Dave is bad. Dave doesn't like me. Dave took my doughnuts."?

LOL. Comedy gold.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

And we should suppose that it is no small coincidence that flo flo shows back up in a thread naming the NY Rangers winners of the NHL off-season.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Gorts is getting **** done, Troube 7 years 8m per, Rangers may be without Panarin as he speaks out against Putin in latest interview.