Thread: Sabres GM Botterill stopped by The Instigators this morning talked about the cap

Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie. DetDannyWilliams's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Sabres GM Botterill stopped by The Instigators this morning talked about the cap

The Sabres agreed to contracts with their final two restricted free agents on Saturday, signing defenseman Jake McCabe and goaltender Linus Ullmark to one-year contracts worth $2.85 million and $1.325 million, respectively. Those and the team's other offseason moves, including the signing of forward Marcus Johansson and trade acquisitions of forward Jimmy Vesey and defenseman Colin Miller, have the Sabres projected to be roughly $1 million over the cap for 2019-20, according to CapFriendly.com.
    Botterill explained the options the Sabres can use to remain cap compliant without making a trade, though he did say trade avenues will continue to be explored as a means toward improving the roster.

Botterill, who was responsible for managing the salary cap during his decade in the Pittsburgh Penguins front office, cited the long-term injured reserve list and the cap relief associated with sending players to the AHL (roughly $1.1 million) as potential avenues the Sabres can use to become compliant before the season begins. "We wanted to add more depth where we had four lines contributing to our team," he said. "We knew when we made the free agent signing of Marcus Johansson that we were going to be close to the cap. But we felt it made our team that much stronger, so we like the situation we're in right now."

Opportunity abounds for young players

Botterill reiterated his stance that the organization's young players will be given opportunities to earn NHL roles at training camp, even if it means replacing a veteran on the roster. "I think you just have to look at our track record," he said. "It's not just words that we're saying, 'Oh there's jobs available.' We'll do whatever it takes if our young guys step up. Botterill even cited the organization's young forwards as candidates to earn a place on
    Jack Eichel
    's wing, a credit to the center's ability entering his fifth season.

"Sidney Crosby, I think that was one of his big developments as a player," Botterill said. "There used to be a lot of discussion of, 'Who's going to be on Sid's wing?' Now it seems like whoever goes up there, Sid pulls the best out of them. " I truly believe Jack has that ability. He's that talented. He likes holding onto the puck. He can create opportunities for anyone who plays up there with him. Whether it's an Olofsson, a C.J. Smith, a Tage Thompson, if they can play further up in the lineup there, I think it just gives us more depth."
    https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/buffalo-sabres-jason-botterill-salary-cap-instigators/c-308466234

Last edited by DetDannyWilliams; 08-07-2019 at 10:52 PM.